• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Popeye's chicken sandwich, what the deal?

I think the sandwich is really just a vehicle for eating the Chick-fil-A sauce ;)
I had mayonnaise. I don't know what the Chick-fil-A sauce is. Perhaps I have to try it one more time. I'll bring my own bun though as the "best chicken place" uses really really bad buns that really detracted from the total enjoyment of the chicken.

Canadian Popeye’s has a different menu than the American ones. There are a number of chicken sandwiches on it but alas, not this new one that everyone is fussing about. I’m not a chicken sandwich person** so I’ve never tried any of them but their regular chicken is just OK - not as good as KFC IMO and their gravy sucks. They do have buttermilk fried shrimp though, and that’s pretty good.

** For this reason I would never be a frequent visitor to Chik-Fil-A. They don’t serve fried chicken, just sandwiches and nuggets and salads basically.

That’s good to know, thanks.

Did Popeye's not have chicken sandwiches before?
No. KFC had various chicken sandwiches for decades, but I mostly remember a barbecue sauce sandwich with several lean pieces and not a breaded, fried filet. I liked the McDonald's chicken sandwiches. But Popeye's never had one.

I've always liked Arby's chicken sandwiches best. I was an adult before I realized they weren't a chicken restaurant, that was all I ate there (they disappeared from our area for a long time, still aren't many around).

Well the Popeyes near me had an incident where a person was stabbed to death because they cut infront of another guest who was in line for a chicken sandwich. It happened in Maryland, so apparently here in good ole MD, we think they are pretty darn good :oops:

On the note of chicken, I finally tried Chic-fil-A. My daughter wanted Chic-fil-A, closest one is 35 miles in the mall. So we went to the mall. I really wanted to try it, but I kept looking over at Five Guys. It was difficult but I broke down and got a chicken sandwich.

Ah, that's it? Just a chicken sandwich? Everyone goes nuts over Chic-fil-A because of this? Sure it was good, but it's just a fast food chicken sandwich.

At least now, next time at the mall I don't have to ponder. Chic-fil-A and Five Guys right next to each other, no pondering needed. You girls can have your chicken.

yes! It’s fast food chicken. They act like they are not but it’s not made to order. And it’s way more expensive then any other fast food place

No. KFC had various chicken sandwiches for decades, but I mostly remember a barbecue sauce sandwich with several lean pieces and not a breaded, fried filet. I liked the McDonald's chicken sandwiches. But Popeye's never had one.

Ok, that at least makes some sense about why people have been so excited for it.
I had no idea they didn't normally have a sandwich option, I guess I thought those were a pretty standard fast food menu item especially for a chicken place.

yes! It’s fast food chicken. They act like they are not but it’s not made to order. And it’s way more expensive then any other fast food place

There are a few fast food places that do make items to order. That was even the slogan of Jack in the Box. I've been to one where I could see my items being made and not just assembled out of warming trays. I know they're grease bombs, but I could see the fried tacos coming out of the deep fryer.

At least at Chick-Fil-A their primary product is a deep pressure fried and that takes a while. There's no way to make that kind of fried chicken to order and keep up for a fast food place.

I do remember one of the craziest things I recall was ordering jambalaya at Popeye's. Then someone called my number and apologized - asking what else I would accept for the price I paid. I was told that it was currently frozen and would take up to an hour to thaw out in the warming tray.

It must have come out here first b/c I definitely had it in July before the hype. There was some minimal local word-of-mouth hype which is how I found out about it.

They had a regional rollout before it went national in August. However, before this I don't think they had a sandwich - at least not outside of maybe some short-term regional items.

Sometimes I don't get the regional thing. I've seen ads for the McRib, but they're not available in my area.

I still need to go try 1 to see if it can compare to say Fried Chicken dinner plate inside the parks

They had a regional rollout before it went national in August. However, before this I don't think they had a sandwich - at least not outside of maybe some short-term regional items.

Sometimes I don't get the regional thing. I've seen ads for the McRib, but they're not available in my area.
They definitely didn’t have it before.

:scratchin Weird that yours didn't. There are tons of them on the Canadian store's menu:
http://popeyeschicken.ca/menu/sandwiches-and-wraps/

The only Popeye's near me is far enough away and in a bad area that I have never been so I really don't know what their menu is like.
In the summer my ds really wanted to go for the sandwich and I thought why, what's the big deal I'll just take you to McDs, BK, Wendy's or KFC for one.
I had no idea that it was a brand new thing for Popeye's to have them.

Sandwich combo for $7 vs. Wendy's burger combo for $6, I don't see it as way more expensive.

I had to see what the hype was about, so I went to the only Popeye's I know of around here for lunch today. It was pretty delicious, gotta say. Good crunch, nice juicy chicken. The mayo kept the pickles from tainting the bread, like it does at Chick Fil A.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter