Pop vs ASMovies in August

Melora

Disney Dreaming
I'm going to book an end of August trip and trying to be as frugal as possible since we just got back a few weeks ago.
We stayed at AS Music and last year (also in January) we stayed at AS Movies.
Those were the first time we ever stayed at the All Stars since we always stayed at Old Key West
but that was 10 years ago when I could get a 2 bedroom for around $400 per night if I waited for a good deal.
That's obviously no more!
So I'm wondering if I should go with the All-Stars again or try out POP with the Skyliner. (Everybody REALLY wants to do that)
AS Movies with a preferred room (only one available with the play stay and dine offer) is $200 less than POP (standard room)
or $400 less if I got a preferred room at the POP.
I keep seeing that the Skyliner can be down a lot at the end of August/beginning of September so I'm wondering if I should save money and just go for the less expensive room or if it's worth the extra to experience the skyliner.

Last edited:
We've stayed around that time and never had issues with the Skyliner being down. Yes, it can happen during the afternoon storms, but it's not typically something that lasts long and is especially not usually an issue at park open or close. I think Pop is definitely worth it for the Skyline and also the access to AoA if you want a change of scenery.

So I'm wondering if I should go with the All-Stars again or try out POP with the Skyliner. (Everybody REALLY wants to do that)
Since everybody REALLY wants to stay at POP Century, stay at POP Century.

I don't think it's worth the extra just to experience the Skyliner because if you stay at Movies you can still hop on the Skyliner when you visit Epcot or DHS.But since everybody REALLY wants to try out POP, then do it.

I'm going to book an end of August trip and trying to be as frugal as possible since we just got back a few weeks ago.
We stayed at AS Music and last year (also in January) we stayed at AS Movies.
Those were the first time we ever stayed at the All Stars since we always stayed at Old Key West
but that was 10 years ago when I could get a 2 bedroom for around $400 per night if I waited for a good deal.
That's obviously no more!
AS Movies with a preferred room (only one available with the play stay and dine offer) is $200 less than POP (standard room)
or $400 less if I got a preferred room at the POP.
I keep seeing that the Skiliner can be down a lot at the end of August/beginning of September so I'm wondering if I should save money and just go for the less expensive room or if it's worth the extra to experience the skyliner.
One thing to check, how much would you pay for a room at an AS without the dining promotion? You don't get very much per night (it is not a per person amount), you may be able save more money by booking a standard room and not getting the dining credit. Maybe not, but it might not hurt to check. If you do choose Pop, do a standard room, the resort is not nearly as spread out as the All Star's are.

If you have the disposable income and you really want to do it, go for it. Personally, I'd stay at All Stars but I'm not a big fan of the Skyliner so would never spend extra money for that. I have ridden it just to say I did. I've stayed at all the All Stars and at Pop, the new rooms are all similar. I also wouldn't pay for a preferred room but I also stay at Dolphin and walk to HS and Epcot so obviously the walk from a non-preferred room isn't a big deal for me.

I keep seeing that the Skyliner can be down a lot at the end of August/beginning of September
FWIW we went in May last year, and a BIG storm rolled through. My dad, sister and brother were stranded at CBR for about an hour, my sister finally decided to call an Uber to take them back to AOA. My mom and I were staying at Epcot to see the fireworks when the storm rolled through, so we managed to get on a bus before the torrential rain came. We got back to the hotel before they did and we were semi dry, them.......not so much.

I have stayed in Pop in August. My experience was that there was at least a part of every day that the Skyliner was down, sometimes for obvious storms, and sometimes for storms in the area that did not impact the Skyliner directly. My biggest problem with it was that you didn’t know it was closed until you went to IG to get on, and during my trip, they were sending guests to the front of the park to get the alternate bus transport. I know some people have said they were directed to BW or BC for a bus, but that was not my experience during several summer trips. They don’t seem to have a set procedure for alternate transportation and they don’t communicate it well to the guests. If only they could send an alert through MDE . . .

That being said, I love Pop and would definitely consider a stay there in the summer again. For me, the choice of AS vs Pop comes down to money. If it’s a long trip, where the savings will cover my food budget, AS usually wins. If it’s a shorter trip, or one where perhaps the discount is sold out at AS but not at Pop, making the savings smaller, then I book Pop. My favorite park is Epcot, so the Skyliner even one way is a big benefit for me. I just returned from a trip to ASMu yesterday and I stayed there because the Skyliner was going to be down for more than half my trip so it made sense to me to save the money when it was similar rooms and transport options.

How many nights is that $200 spread over? If not much per night, could be worth the Skyliner access.

POP = Skyliner, lush landscape along a lake, good food court and access to AoA, not a large footprint because the buildings are 4 stories instead of the 3 at AllStars. Preferred completely unnecessary.

AllStars = Sports has the smallest footprint and is almost done renovations. Music has the largest footprint and preferred is a must for us there. Movies, I'd want preferred for location and theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter