POP Century ~ Unofficially the Grooviest FAQ Thread #6 ~April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! We will be arriving at MCO at approx 10:30pm. Now I KNOW that we may encounter delays and that the ME process may take awhile etc.

We are Frequent WDW guests and I'm HOPING that this very very brief trip will offer us some pixie dust and that our arrival will be easy and speedy!!

That being said ....How late can I order a Pizza at POP? i know they close at Midnight - so do you need to have an order in 30 minutes before? Also I THINK I remember a pick up counter option ( vs room service ) around the food court ( maybe I'm remembering AS )....Since we will be cutting it tight do you think once I am in motion on the bus, and know I will make it (barely), can I call in an order to pick up - maybe before checking in at Front Desk?

I just think my little one is going to be looking for a late night meal and I think we COULD just miss the opportunity depending on the cut off time :scared1:

Can you call ahead? and pick up at Food Court?

Also - do ALL rooms now have mini cooling boxes?

We will be arriving on May 7th for a whirlwind 2 day tour!!!

TIA

Can anyone give more info on this? Is getting your park tickets that are attached to your package early possible?

I am heading to Pop in Aug. Our package starts on 8/25 with Free Dining. My travels plans changed, I am leaving a day early now with kids on 8/24. I booked a Room only for Pop. I have spoke to 2 different people on the phone with reservations and they are telling me I can't not get my tickets on the 24th, I have to wait til the 25th. Bummed cuz it is my DD's 13th bday on the 24th and MK is open til 1 a.m.! She really wanted to go there on her bday.

Thanks!

When you call,they will tell you it isn't possible to pick up your package tickets early (I called before my jan trip and got the same response as you did). However, we picked up our tickets the day before our package (free dining) started, January of this year. Just go to guest services at any park, or DTD and be courteous, and they should give you your tickets early. Also,you will get new KTTWC's the next day when you package starts (regardless if you are re-checking into the same resort or switching), with the remaining park tickets, and dining plan if you have one!

This will be our first PoP visit also. We stayed at ASMo last March. Really looking forward to it in 38 days. I'll try to come back and give you an ASMo vs. Pop rundown when I get back. I'm sure it will be a blast!:3dglasses

I'ld really appreciate that - thank you :-)

I found out that my sister had brain cancer though last summer while at Pop. I am a bit worried that I will associate Pop with this... it's always on my mind of course anyway... but I don't want to get there and all I think about is my poor sister. DO you think that will happen?

Hi. I found out my dad had Stage 4 Lung Cancer right before my bday trip in 2009. We were torn but took our trip anyway. On that trip, I made a wish at Cinderella's Wishing Well at MK. I have continued to do this on every trip since. Maybe you could do something similar for your sister.

My dad is now 2 years cancer free :littleangel:

I have a really strange question!!!!

Here's the scenario! We spending a week at POP during free dining, have the package booked, which includes park tickets, etc.

DH just got word that he's being sent to a conference in Orlando (woo hoo!) for 4 days directly before we had planned on starting our vacation. Staying at POP will be cheaper than where the conference is, so his employer is totally cool with us staying at POP, so we are now planning on adding on 4 days to the beginning of our vacation at POP. With me so far???

Anyway, I know our resort bill will reflect all the days we are there, plus the park tickets.

If I tell POP the situation, do they have the capability of printing me a bill that only shows the first 4 days, without the park tickets, so DH can present it to his employer for reimbursement?

Here's a suggestion :teacher: Why don't you go to WDW reservations and plug in those 4 dates staying at POP with no tixs or dining, then save that "trip". Then you can go back and print your saved trip.

That will show you the cost to stay for the 4 days including tax. That will document very nicely what the 4 days would cost to submit for reimbursement to your DH employer along with you length of stay receipt.

This will prevent needing to book split stay, mess up any dining or park tixs or confuse a CM and chance a change to your reservations that you don't want. Of course, once you're there maybe they can go ahead and provide what you want, but this will give you a clear way to document the company's portion for the room only :thumbsup2

Hi everyone, I joined at the tail end of the old thread.

Anyways we are booked at pop under 2 reservations (southwest points on 2 cards) Im hoping we can just stay in our first room since both reservations are for a preferred room. Does anyone have any experience with this?

For a preferred room is any location better than another for requests? I would love to be close to the bus.

I too, love the shrimp lo Mein.:cool1: we were not crazy about the turkey ciabatta sandwich.. it has that dark, thin leafy lettuce , maybe arugula. we prefer our lettuce to crunch!;)
at night, most of the food courts close down in stages,. the second to last to close is ususally the grill, with the last remaining open being the italian one. which means, get back to late and you have a choice of pizza or pasta. you can interchange the pastas with the sauces. ie, get the penne pasta with the marinara instead of the alfredo.
I think the grill (burgers, hot dogs, etc, is open until 11 with the pasta/pizza station open till midnight. I think.

so after you get back from illuminations, you may have few choices. this is good to keep in mind while at the park, if you come upon a CS option you might enjoy more.

disney pizza is... meh. edible, filling, like little ceasars. but it's not a bad choice for 2CS credits. for the 2 of us, we end of with leftovers to keep in the fridge to munch on for a snack. or for a family of 4, it would feed you all (ok, not if you have a teen boy:rotfl:) for 2 credits, and have 2 credits left! (wish they let you mix and match credits, like 2 CS= 1 TS.) out of pockets, the pizza is a good deal.. just don't expect it to taste like Lou Malnatis, unos, (ar any other decent pizza!)

Isn't there a full pizza meal on the dining plan? I thought I read a while ago that for 2-3 CS credits you could do this.Does anyone know the details?

I went to Disney with my boys and husband last summer. :) We spent a week and LOVED Pop! That was our second visit to Pop.

We are planning to go back in 2013 and want to stay at Pop again.

I can't wait! :)

I found out that my sister had brain cancer though last summer while at Pop. I am a bit worried that I will associate Pop with this... it's always on my mind of course anyway... but I don't want to get there and all I think about is my poor sister. DO you think that will happen?

I cant tell you what you're going to think, but I can tell you my personal experience. 4 years ago, while touring AK with my DH and kids, I received a phone call that my grandfather fell, hit his head and died instantly. I was devastated to the point that I dropped to my knees in the middle of the park in front of everyone. Obviously we dropped everything, cut the trip short, and came home right away.

HOWEVER, we've been back several times since then, and not once have I ever associated our WDW trips w/ the death of my most favorite person in the world.

:hug: to you!!

Oh, definitely don't mix both meds! And you're right, the girls won't need it, they will be too excited! Happy you like the new thread. :goodvibes For the on-line check in, you have the following choices (limit 2 requests):

-Request 70's
-Request lakeview
-Request 80's
-Request ground floor
-Request 60's
-Request 90's
-Request 50's
-Near Transportation

-Pack n Play

You won't know your actual room location until you check in (the possibilities will be narrowed down slightly if you booked a category other than standard, since pref and the 2 pool views are in certain areas/bldgs only). :)

Thanks for clearing that up! I wasn't exactly sure when other room requests could be made.

Jaaacki-just call and ask them to link the two reservations and there will be less chance you will have to switch rooms. You can also mention it to them at check in, too.

I went to Disney with my boys and husband last summer. :) We spent a week and LOVED Pop! That was our second visit to Pop.

We are planning to go back in 2013 and want to stay at Pop again.

I can't wait! :)

Marla .... I'm happy you have plans to return to POP.:hippie:

And I think Karabee said it so well .... while it may be bittersweet , concentrate on the wonderful memories you have of your sister and of being in Disney and the happiness you feel there. And I like too setting aside a quiet time for reflection. :)

hi - I just posted a question and saw your post and had to respond. I was also worried about something similar. My family went to Disney all the time up until my mom died and I thought for sure it would be just horrible to go back. I didn't find out the news in a certain place like you did while there but our last family vacation before she passed was there. Was it difficult at time? Yes. However I found myself remembering great memories and just being smothered by the joy of Disney which helped a lot. I think if there is anywhere that can make you feel better it's Disney. Maybe, if you start to think of it, take a small walk on your own. Or perhaps request a building other than the one you found out in (I still can't go back to the POLY as my resort). Thoughts are with you - I'm sure your family will provide enough love during that time that you'll be in a happy place :hug:

Hi. I found out my dad had Stage 4 Lung Cancer right before my bday trip in 2009. We were torn but took our trip anyway. On that trip, I made a wish at Cinderella's Wishing Well at MK. I have continued to do this on every trip since. Maybe you could do something similar for your sister.

My dad is now 2 years cancer free :littleangel:

That is fantastic news about your Dad!! :banana: And I love your idea of making a wish at Cinderella's Wishing well.:flower3: Those small things makes us feel better and form a connection with our loved ones. And of course the power of prayer helps makes all the difference! :goodvibes

And my condolences to you on the loss of your mother. :hug:

Here's a suggestion :teacher: Why don't you go to WDW reservations and plug in those 4 dates staying at POP with no tixs or dining, then save that "trip". Then you can go back and print your saved trip.

That will show you the cost to stay for the 4 days including tax. That will document very nicely what the 4 days would cost to submit for reimbursement to your DH employer along with you length of stay receipt.

This will prevent needing to book split stay, mess up any dining or park tixs or confuse a CM and chance a change to your reservations that you don't want. Of course, once you're there maybe they can go ahead and provide what you want, but this will give you a clear way to document the company's portion for the room only :thumbsup2

That's a great suggestion! :thumbsup2

Hi everyone, I joined at the tail end of the old thread.

Anyways we are booked at pop under 2 reservations (southwest points on 2 cards) Im hoping we can just stay in our first room since both reservations are for a preferred room. Does anyone have any experience with this?

For a preferred room is any location better than another for requests? I would love to be close to the bus.

Welcome Jaaaacki! Well ADisneyQueen posted exactly what I would have suggested about linking the reservations ... then you just need to check out and check back in. :goodvibes

For preferred location ... suggest the 70s (Bldg 10, 6), and 60s (Bldg 5 & 4) as both sections have preferred rooms and are a little closer to the busing than the 50s. :goodvibes

Good Morning PoPers!!! And thanks again to Janet and the gang for a wonderful new thread!!

I have a question that has PROBABLY been answered 1,000 times..but you guys all seem so great at questions...here it goes...

I have a preferred room, I would like to be as close as possible to the pool and food (if possible)...what section would be best to ask for??

And is it possible for the early check in to request a "ground floor"??

Thanks to everyone!!! and :banana::cool1::cheer2::dance3: Look at my ticker today!!! ;)

Well, it's official we will be at PoP from 9/9 - 9/15. Thank you to everyone who helped with the questions I posted earlier in the month. This will be our first time at this resort and I am really looking forward to it :thumbsup2

I think I need to spend more time on this thread... I have spent more nights than are rightfully fair at Pop this year and would love to pass my knowledge on to others! We were there in May (4 nights,) July (4 nights of an 8-night stay,) Sept (8,) Dec (7,) Feb (3) and just last week (3.) We have one more visit in May before our APs expire... and while my heart is sad, my pocketbook is not!

Anyways, I had read some of the fridge vs. beverage cooler discussion and wanted to share my experience. When we got in, my friend checked the temp of the fridge and declared it cool, but not cold... "It would be okay to keep lunch leftovers until dinner, but probably not for days." I stuck my hand in and agreed, so I decided to help it along a bit. I went down and filled the ice bucket up, thinking that if a bucket of ice could bring the fridge's temp down, the fridge could probably keep it down, kwim?

Anyways, I was thrilled to find out that our original assessment was wrong. We filled the ice bucket at noontime on Wednesday, opened the fridge that evening to a still-full bucket, used some, and then a 3/4-full bucket on Thursday night, when we used some more! I honestly didn't keep track of it at that point, but since it kept a bucket full of ice frozen for well over a day, I have no concerns about being able to safely keep leftovers. :)

Reading through the thread I couldn't help but find a few posts to reply to, lol...

Marla, I'm so sorry about your sister! While it's not the same, I can say that I went to Disney with my BFF and her parents over NYE 2008/9, and we stayed at Pop. Her Mom passed away in the summer of 2010, and BFF still struggles with her death, a lot. We returned to Pop in the spring of 2011 and surprisingly she hasn't had an issue with memories etc. The only thing that might mitigate it is that we stayed in 50s with her parents, and we've stayed in 80s/90s/70s each trip, so we've stayed on the other side of the resort.

That doesn't mean you won't have those feelings, but I think it's largely individual. I expected BFF to have a lot of problems but as you can see by our chronic visiting, that's not the case. For us, Pop is our "spare home," and it's no different than if you hear devastating news sitting on your couch and associating that... some do, some don't, it's really dependent on person.

Ok,Ok, theres been SO many room location questions recently that it's prompted me to ask about something different, yet SO important...FOOD!!!:goodvibes

Tell me some of your favorite meals/desserts/snax you've had at POP!!

I'm vegetarian and although I remember LOVING the food court in 2008, I was either easily impressed or they've changed it since then. I don't have any "favorite meals," although my BFF adores the beef & blue sandwich. I often have a breakfast sandwich, no meat (croissant + egg + cheese. Psst, if you're paying OOP, refuse the potatoes and it's cheaper... ;))

Snack-wise, I love the chocolate croissant, the oreo cupcake is awesome. The ice cream sundae is RIDICULOUS, it's huge! And their potato chips are quite good.

Variety for those who are omnivores is much better, though, and lots sounds good!

Speaking of food at POP - my sister and I are booked for SSR in Dec but are thinking of heading down on an evening flight one day early and we will probably stay at POP. I posted this on the restaurant board but I'm hoping the POP lovers have a bit more insight! How is the food court late night? My sister is soooo picky and I want to make sure she will be able to eat something like a salad or hummus or veggies. Any late night items that were still good?

There are three hot food counters, a fourth "dessert" counter, plus a "market" with coolers and shelves. I'm not 100% on times, but based upon our experience last week: the dessert and first hot counter close earlier, the second hot counter closes at 11 and the last at midnight. The market is open until midnight, and it will be your best bet. They have hummus and wheat thins (separate, about $3/ea) in the "market" area, which is open as long as the food court is. The hummus is in the coolers to your left when you walk into the back portion, the wheat thins are on the opposite wall, above the ice cream cooler and near the special dietary snacks. The same cooler that the hummus is in has salads and cold subs. They have veggies (carrots & celery) with ranch in a cooler at the first "hot" counter -- to the left when you walk in the food court -- and I can't for the life of me figure out why they're not offered in the market.

One night my friends got a cold sub, I got the veggies, hummus and crackers, as well as a sundae. All was good. I also got grapes (they have that, and fruit salad, available in the market) which were "meh," better than when I got them in Sept but I am picky about my grapes and pitched half of them because they were mushy around the stem area and sour. I am not picky about much food and never realized I was about grapes until I got them at Pop, lol! They also have apple slices and breads/pastries -- so like a bagel/cream cheese would be a viable late night option.

Can anyone give more info on this? Is getting your park tickets that are attached to your package early possible?

This was already covered, but I believe guest relations outside of a park should be able to help you. :)

Good Morning PoPers!!! And thanks again to Janet and the gang for a wonderful new thread!!

I have a question that has PROBABLY been answered 1,000 times..but you guys all seem so great at questions...here it goes...

I have a preferred room, I would like to be as close as possible to the pool and food (if possible)...what section would be best to ask for??

And is it possible for the early check in to request a "ground floor"??

Thanks to everyone!!! and :banana::cool1::cheer2::dance3: Look at my ticker today!!! ;)

See how good you are and how silly I am??

I failed to see the PP asked a similar question...SORRY!!

Hi BellAbbeys! Happy you found you way over to the new thread! :goodvibes

And no apologies needed at all! :)

BTW ... ground floor is a selection for the on-line check in process (and you can add this request to your room reservation as well.)

I remember you were having surgery, if is over, do hope your recovery goes smoothly and quickly. :goodvibes And being home/recovering means you will have plenty of time to DIS! :banana: :cool1:

surgery was a breeze had my epi at 1pm and was in back in my room at 3pm too bad i had to stay the night and now the recovery is going great just not being able to do everything u want is not fun
but yes im stalking the dis these weeks:surfweb::surfweb::surfweb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter