• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Room Renovations

Thanks Kaytie! I'm requesting 90s for a renovated room, but being it is just DH and me there's no need for two beds. Thought it would be great to have a king bed and renovated, but not getting my hopes up since they are so limited.

Okay back on my computer ... so my Renovated POP room review. Probably around 125+ on-site stays (lots off too) and consider POP our home resort with close to 30 stays there. Went there kicking and screaming because I didn't think it would be Disney but it ended up being plenty Disney, plus the perks of a lake and great landscaping. If you have seen my other posts I wasn't sold on these new rooms. Some of my opinions stand.

I booked a few weeks ago for one night with 30.5% discount (goodbye GMR) and my only request was 90's. We arrived early in day to MK ... by 3 pm no text. So we headed to hotel before there were no new rooms left. I said to the CM at front desk (yes I was excited I ended up with him because he has been good to me before ... what does that mean when you know which front desk CM you want?) .... "I don't care what building I just really really really want a new room." He said you asked for 90's and I said I don't care, so he says "90's is pretty much full but I can put you in 80's in rooms just released in last week." YEAH. They had problems linking a MB for my DS2 who was not originally on reservations and they gave all 3 of us 3 FP+ each for our inconvenience. MK, with NO restrictions --- 7DMT :)

Front Desk chuckle: They said that a high percentage of guests return to front desk after check in to complain their room only has one bed.

So the room ...

BEDS - Preface to say I'm not a good sleeper and easily find beds uncomfortable. At POP I have managed to sleep mostly because I think we go all day long and I am exhausted. Both DS2 and I agree, these were some of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. Slept through the night (never happens) and felt ready to go. I tore open the covers and took photos of the tags and am on a mission to find these mattresses. Having the two queens in a value (especially since we are all adults) is awesome .... but you do pay the price in space. Note: The beds are HIGH. I would say with my feet dangling there was close to 10" between my feet and floor. Old beds my feet were on the floor. So these are high beds for small kids and now with vinyl floor ... if you think they might roll off you might want to get rails.

FURNITURE - Can't argue two queen beds. The bed comes down with minimal effort and you need no strength to move it up or down. LOVED the dresser, so much open space on top. A plus is you can lay suitcases there since you have lost floor space. The drawers and shelves do give lots of space, more I think than the old unit did. The end tables are great for surface and a shelf space. LOVE the beverage center! We bring food, snacks and drinks. I like have a place with shelves and counter space where all that can be stored. Table/Chairs ............. well, still a problem. Nice the table is bigger but does it really matter since you lose it to open bed. I still have an issue with this. We liked the bed down. If I were a single or couple not a problem. But now I have no table and two chairs in the way. This was probably my biggest issue and it still is for longer trips where we eat breakfast etc in room, and I want to work at night with DS in bed. Another big issue, the expanse of brown laminate furniture - yeah, it's too much - that made it look like a hospital room.

LIGHTING - Oh my they went overboard on the lights. If you turn them all on ... we laughed and said "I think I'm being sterilized ... in my hospital room." There is a double light over each side of the real bed, a light on top of the murphy bed, a light in the murphy bed, light in the beverage center and the huge round light on the far wall that is more like a spotlight and hurt my eyes. There is no need for that much lighting. I wish they ditched the big round spot light and placed a nice piece of Disney art because looking to that side of the room you would have no idea where you are other than a big sterile room.

TECH - The minute DS2 saw that huge tv he says ... oh there goes the value pricing. That was nice. TV also has tons of hookup capabilities on the back for aux. LOVE all the USB ports everywhere around the room. No more 10 ft cords for our phones. Our AC actually allowed us to go to 62 degrees, I think 64 was the bottom before.

BATHROOM - LOVE it. Colors, storage, big sink, pocket doors, nice shower (we had tub, wish I had the shower), high toilet, hand held even though pressure was too weak for it to work properly ... and the night light was perfect to keep the entire room slightly lit. I wish they had continued the bedroom floor into the bathroom. There was no reason to change it up especially to a white that looked very industrial cheap and already had the "grout" dirty. Since it was laid grout style, there was some nicks in it. And purely install issue, it was uneven and there were blue paint splatters on it.

NOISE:
When the murphy bed was up and we only had one bed and the window curtains to absorb sound ... it echoed. It was a hollow sound. The murphy down helped but still had a slight hollow sound. We don't think we had neighbors on either side but we were aware of folks walking around above us. When they walked there was also a rattling that happened. I don't think it was the barn door, I think it was our shower doors ... The toilets are still loud but now I could really hear the folks taking showers. I heard the water hitting the showers. When taking a shower I verified which I hadn't seen answered before but I asked ... the walls are prefab shower walls, fiberglass or something not tile so that is why I could hear the water hitting the sides, in addition to the shower door.

PROS:
- 2 Queen VERY comfortable beds
- EIGHT pillows
- Functional dresser with big counter space
- Beverage Center with shelves
- Very nice bathroom with TONS of storage and higher end for value, maybe even moderates
- Lots of USB ports, big screen tv
- Murphy is cute with Pluto mural and built in light, and DS1 immediately claimed it as his bed.
- You can now store suitcases etc under the bed.

CONS:
- Sterile look with the brown/white laminate and the only splash color ORANGE. I don't like that color and it was loud, I'd rather a color that is more relaxing, like the bathrooms.
- Floors .......... ONE WEEK OLD and multiple scuffs, scratches and it was not clean. Bath was worse since laid with "grout" look, that had already attracted dirt and looked dirty. Should have been ONE color throughout and chosen a darker color.
- Table lost when bed down. Chairs then sit in an area we normally put suitcases etc.
- Two queens shrink that room really fast. There is minimal floor space left, the gap between the two beds is really really small.
- When the murphy is down it sticks out way past the other bed with "wood" corners that are bound to give lots of bruises.

My first thought is the room is now like a larger cruise ship cabin ..
... in size, lack of floor space, lots of cubbie storage and heavy laminate furniture.

Will I continue to book there? ..... if the price stays reasonable, yes. If for nothing else the beds. I thought I would bring a table but the room is too tight now to really leave it up with the chairs at it. So I think I'm stuck with the up and down bed thing happening. If you thought the rooms felt small before, with both beds down they are VERY small.

Last edited:
I know the big TVs make people think the price will go up, but honestly they are cheaper than ever before now. I could replace my 55" one with a 60" smart TV for less than what I paid years ago. If anything makes the price go up I think it will be the gondola system.

I know the big TVs make people think the price will go up, but honestly they are cheaper than ever before now. I could replace my 55" one with a 60" smart TV for less than what I paid years ago. If anything makes the price go up I think it will be the gondola system.

Oh I know they are cheap to buy, but that doesn't mean Disney won't use them as an advertised perk along with the cheap coffee pot, rain shower and queen beds to raise the prices. All in illusions of increased value.

I think we all know the gondola will be real rate jump, once it's done. The renovation will be done in less than a year, and they actually could start raising the prices then on all future bookings, but I'm hoping they wait until 2018.

This was probably my biggest issue and it still is for longer trips where we eat breakfast etc in room, and I want to work at night with DS in bed
I get that your son claimed the Murphy bed, but if you took it instead given that the beds are the same size, wouldn't that have allowed you to work at night and negated this con?

Thanks Kaytie! I'm requesting 90s for a renovated room, but being it is just DH and me there's no need for two beds. Thought it would be great to have a king bed and renovated, but not getting my hopes up since they are so limited.
Honestly, from the pictures posted somewhere in this thread, the king bed rooms don't look as fun as the queen rooms. More floor space, obviously, but the beverage center is on the same wall as the head of the bed, closer to the door. Of course, king rooms would have an actual table...

I get that your son claimed the Murphy bed, but if you took it instead given that the beds are the same size, wouldn't that have allowed you to work at night and negated this con?

That is true - now that we know the murphy is a queen and the same mattress. I could sleep on it and not feel I was relegated to the bunk. I would still be very close to him vs when I could put him by the bathroom and my chair/table was up by the window. But you are right I could do that .... if I could wrangle it from him. :D We used to go for 10+ days, just two of us, so he would go to bed, and I would have to work at night. It's doable, I don't know why I just like the beds down.

This trip both boys went, so queen was nice for them to share. When we walked into the room DS1 was so confused with only one bed. DS2 teased him that he had no bed. Then DS2 slowly opened the murphy bed and DS1 eyes lit up and he immediately said it was his bed.

Oh I know they are cheap to buy, but that doesn't mean Disney won't use them as an advertised perk along with the cheap coffee pot, rain shower and queen beds to raise the prices. All in illusions of increased value.

I think we all know the gondola will be real rate jump, once it's done. The renovation will be done in less than a year, and they actually could start raising the prices then on all future bookings, but I'm hoping they wait until 2018.

There have been rumors lately that Disney is working on getting rid of the classifications for resorts. When you compare the renovations at Coronado and Pop and how similar the rooms now are, this seems very likely once all of the resorts have been finished. We probably won't see a change in the near future, but I'm guessing that will take effect before the 50th anniversary.

Okay back on my computer ... so my Renovated POP room review. Probably around 125+ on-site stays (lots off too) and consider POP our home resort with close to 30 stays there. Went there kicking and screaming because I didn't think it would be Disney but it ended up being plenty Disney, plus the perks of a lake and great landscaping. If you have seen my other posts I wasn't sold on these new rooms. Some of my opinions stand.

I booked a few weeks ago for one night with 30.5% discount (goodbye GMR) and my only request was 90's. We arrived early in day to MK ... by 3 pm no text. So we headed to hotel before there were no new rooms left. I said to the CM at front desk (yes I was excited I ended up with him because he has been good to me before ... what does that mean when you know which front desk CM you want?) .... "I don't care what building I just really really really want a new room." He said you asked for 90's and I said I don't care, so he says "90's is pretty much full but I can put you in 80's in rooms just released in last week." YEAH. They had problems linking a MB for my DS2 who was not originally on reservations and they gave all 3 of us 3 FP+ each for our inconvenience. MK, with NO restrictions --- 7DMT :)

Front Desk chuckle: They said that a high percentage of guests return to front desk after check in to complain their room only has one bed.

So the room ...

BEDS - Preface to say I'm not a good sleeper and easily find beds uncomfortable. At POP I have managed to sleep mostly because I think we go all day long and I am exhausted. Both DS2 and I agree, these were some of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. Slept through the night (never happens) and felt ready to go. I tore open the covers and took photos of the tags and am on a mission to find these mattresses. Having the two queens in a value (especially since we are all adults) is awesome .... but you do pay the price in space. Note: The beds are HIGH. I would say with my feet dangling there was close to 10" between my feet and floor. Old beds my feet were on the floor. So these are high beds for small kids and now with vinyl floor ... if you think they might roll off you might want to get rails.

FURNITURE - Can't argue two queen beds. The bed comes down with minimal effort and you need no strength to move it up or down. LOVED the dresser, so much open space on top. A plus is you can lay suitcases there since you have lost floor space. The drawers and shelves do give lots of space, more I think than the old unit did. The end tables are great for surface and a shelf space. LOVE the beverage center! We bring food, snacks and drinks. I like have a place with shelves and counter space where all that can be stored. Table/Chairs ............. well, still a problem. Nice the table is bigger but does it really matter since you lose it to open bed. I still have an issue with this. We liked the bed down. If I were a single or couple not a problem. But now I have no table and two chairs in the way. This was probably my biggest issue and it still is for longer trips where we eat breakfast etc in room, and I want to work at night with DS in bed. Another big issue, the expanse of brown laminate furniture - yeah, it's too much - that made it look like a hospital room.

LIGHTING - Oh my they went overboard on the lights. If you turn them all on ... we laughed and said "I think I'm being sterilized ... in my hospital room." There is a double light over each side of the real bed, a light on top of the murphy bed, a light in the murphy bed, light in the beverage center and the huge round light on the far wall that is more like a spotlight and hurt my eyes. There is no need for that much lighting. I wish they ditched the big round spot light and placed a nice piece of Disney art because looking to that side of the room you would have no idea where you are other than a big sterile room.

TECH - The minute DS2 saw that huge tv he says ... oh there goes the value pricing. That was nice. TV also has tons of hookup capabilities on the back for aux. LOVE all the USB ports everywhere around the room. No more 10 ft cords for our phones. Our AC actually allowed us to go to 62 degrees, I think 64 was the bottom before.

BATHROOM - LOVE it. Colors, storage, big sink, pocket doors, nice shower (we had tub, wish I had the shower), high toilet, hand held even though pressure was too weak for it to work properly ... and the night light was perfect to keep the entire room slightly lit. I wish they had continued the bedroom floor into the bathroom. There was no reason to change it up especially to a white that looked very industrial cheap and already had the "grout" dirty. Since it was laid grout style, there was some nicks in it. And purely install issue, it was uneven and there were blue paint splatters on it.

NOISE:
When the murphy bed was up and we only had one bed and the window curtains to absorb sound ... it echoed. It was a hollow sound. The murphy down helped but still had a slight hollow sound. We don't think we had neighbors on either side but we were aware of folks walking around above us. When they walked there was also a rattling that happened. I don't think it was the barn door, I think it was our shower doors ... The toilets are still loud but now I could really hear the folks taking showers. I heard the water hitting the showers. When taking a shower I verified which I hadn't seen answered before but I asked ... the walls are prefab shower walls, fiberglass or something not tile so that is why I could hear the water hitting the sides, in addition to the shower door.

PROS:
- EIGHT pillows
- Very nice bathroom with TONS of storage and higher end for value, maybe even moderates
- Murphy is cute with Pluto mural and built in light, and DS1 immediately claimed it as his bed.

CONS:
- Sterile look with the brown/white laminate and the only splash color ORANGE. I don't like that color and it was loud, I'd rather a color that is more relaxing, like the bathrooms.
- Floors .......... ONE WEEK OLD and multiple scuffs, scratches and it was not clean. Bath was worse since laid with "grout" look, that had already attracted dirt and looked dirty. Should have been ONE color throughout and chosen a darker color.
- Table lost when bed down. Chairs then sit in an area we normally put suitcases etc.
- Two queens shrink that room really fast. There is minimal floor space left, the gap between the two beds is really really small.
- When the murphy is down it sticks out way past the other bed with "wood" corners that are bound to give lots of bruises.

... in size, lack of floor space, lots of cubbie storage and heavy laminate furniture.

Will I continue to book there? ..... if the price stays reasonable, yes. If for nothing else the beds. I thought I would bring a table but the room is too tight now to really leave it up with the chairs at it. So I think I'm stuck with the up and down bed thing happening. If you thought the rooms felt small before, with both beds down they are VERY small.
Thanks so much! With regard to the beds, this is what I was wondering. We are staying at Pop in November and I have a 5 yo and at the time a 1 yo who right now is on the verge on waking. I am a little worried about the floors with her just learning to walk and her bumping into the bed corners. I'm wondering if I should just request an old room for this trip. Thanks for the review.

@HopperFan thank you so much for the detailed review! Now you have me pondering the bed height. My feet didn't touch the floor on the old beds! Too bad they couldn't slide a little step-stool under the bed, but I know they would probably "magically disappear" with some guests.

Thanks so much! With regard to the beds, this is what I was wondering. We are staying at Pop in November and I have a 5 yo and at the time a 1 yo who right now is on the verge on waking. I am a little worried about the floors with her just learning to walk and her bumping into the bed corners. I'm wondering if I should just request an old room for this trip. Thanks for the review.

I'll try to upload a couple pics of it but at a low height, they are likely to reach for the lip of the bed and use it for holding on. Since they are shorter they will see it as opposed to adults walking by and slamming into it. Your 5 year old will likely love the murphy bed.

Hook ups on back of tv.

IMG_2742.JPG

Coming from bath the gap where the murphy sticks out.

IMG_2896.JPG

Space between beds, on nightstand you see a park map laying for perspective.

IMG_2897.JPG

Corner of Murphy Bed

IMG_2902.JPG

Mattress, both same pillowtop.

IMG_2903.JPG

Two chairs for spacing by connect door, over by beverage center less space.

IMG_2939.JPG

BEDS - Preface to say I'm not a good sleeper and easily find beds uncomfortable. At POP I have managed to sleep mostly because I think we go all day long and I am exhausted. Both DS2 and I agree, these were some of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. Slept through the night (never happens) and felt ready to go. I tore open the covers and took photos of the tags and am on a mission to find these mattresses.

What was on the tag? From the picture you posted, it looks like a Southerland Mattress. My mattress looks exactly like that and is SO comfortable!

I was trying to look at back since it was folded but DS warned me not to pop it off and risk jail time. :lmao:

They are Sealy. Not to say Sealy isn't bulk purchasing from someone else and selling to hotels.

The second picture at right shows measurements, this is the murphy bed, so it is in writing a queen.

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

Last edited:

So the room ...

NOISE:

PROS:
- EIGHT pillows

CONS:

:worship: Yay! I've been waiting for the promised review!! Funny, that was my first though when I saw that big huge round light on the wall, has to go. But there is an option to turn it off right?

Seems like many pros, but I like a desk or table & chairs too. Didn't I see a space between dresser and bev centre? Could they extend the top of dresser to bev centre to make desk space?

I always said I'd love that blue carried into room.

The bathroom is great! So much storage. Love all the cubbies. It's too sad they cheaped out on flooring, and tub surround instead of doing a proper job with tile. Acrylic :scared:

I do hope the floors are being mopped in between guests? I don't know why they should be scuffed already? Do people wear their outside shoes in the room? We are accustomed to taking them off. I wear flip flops in room.

I know you were just in the room for a short visit so not worth dealing with, but I'll be staying 11 nights and if I get a new room with dirty floor, I may go to desk and request a clean. I had an incident where my "new" room had a dirty floor. But went beyond that. Trash left on dresser, etc. Turns out room wasn't cleaned for new guest, but for returning guest, eek. I was moved to different room.

I'm really looking forward to those beds! I thought the last beds we had at Pop were great.

Thanks so much for posting review! I hope 70's will be done by late Nov!

Hook ups on back of tv.

View attachment 259048

Coming from bath the gap where the murphy sticks out.

View attachment 259049

Space between beds, on nightstand you see a park map laying for perspective.

View attachment 259050

Corner of Murphy Bed

View attachment 259051

Mattress, both same pillowtop.

View attachment 259052

Two chairs for spacing by connect door, over by beverage center less space.

View attachment 259053
Maybe in that space by connecting door could be a fold down table attached to wall or dresser with legs attached like Murphy bed. If you aren't using door could be desk/table.

:worship: Yay! I've been waiting for the promised review!! Funny, that was my first though when I saw that big huge round light on the wall, has to go. But there is an option to turn it off right?

Seems like many pros, but I like a desk or table & chairs too. Didn't I see a space between dresser and bev centre? Could they extend the top of dresser to bev centre to make desk space?

I always said I'd love that blue carried into room.

The bathroom is great! So much storage. Love all the cubbies. It's too sad they cheaped out on flooring, and tub surround instead of doing a proper job with tile. Acrylic :scared:

I do hope the floors are being mopped in between guests? I don't know why they should be scuffed already? Do people wear their outside shoes in the room? We are accustomed to taking them off. I wear flip flops in room.

I know you were just in the room for a short visit so not worth dealing with, but I'll be staying 11 nights and if I get a new room with dirty floor, I may go to desk and request a clean. I had an incident where my "new" room had a dirty floor. But went beyond that. Trash left on dresser, etc. Turns out room wasn't cleaned for new guest, but for returning guest, eek. I was moved to different room.

I'm really looking forward to those beds! I thought the last beds we had at Pop were great.

Thanks so much for posting review! I hope 70's will be done by late Nov!

Maybe in that space by connecting door could be a fold down table attached to wall or dresser with legs attached like Murphy bed. If you aren't using door could be desk/table.

I always thought that space between dresser and beverage could have been extended and a desk like CSR did ........... but if the murphy bed is down, there truly wouldn't be room to slide your chair in and out. I suppose it could work by connecting door, that would also allow kids to have murphy while a parent used desk by their bed.

Bottom line putting these two queen beds in the room has SHRUNK that room. No joke when I felt like I was on a cruise ship with a few extra feet. For folks who thought those rooms were small before ............. don't book it now.

YES all lights can be on or off. We tried all combinations but that big spotlight serves no purpose.

Let's see if I can get a bath floor photo to load - was hard to get with lighting ... the problem is they are vinyl tiles they laid like ceramic with a "grout". Except it's not real grout it's basically a glue or like silicone caulk. That stuff gets dirty and it's very hard to clean. They should have laid it tight like bedroom but I think then you would see the uneven flooring ... and leveling would have taken longer and cost more.

IMG_2929.JPG IMG_2931.JPG IMG_2932.JPG

I always thought that space between dresser and beverage could have been extended and a desk like CSR did ........... but if the murphy bed is down, there truly wouldn't be room to slide your chair in and out. I suppose it could work by connecting door, that would also allow kids to have murphy while a parent used desk by their bed.

Bottom line putting these two queen beds in the room has SHRUNK that room. No joke when I felt like I was on a cruise ship with a few extra feet. For folks who thought those rooms were small before ............. don't book it now.

YES all lights can be on or off. We tried all combinations but that big spotlight serves no purpose.

Let's see if I can get a bath floor photo to load - was hard to get with lighting ... the problem is they are vinyl tiles they laid like ceramic with a "grout". Except it's not real grout it's basically a glue or like silicone caulk. That stuff gets dirty and it's very hard to clean. They should have laid it tight like bedroom but I think then you would see the uneven flooring ... and leveling would have taken longer and cost more.

View attachment 259281 View attachment 259282 View attachment 259283
Ewwwww! That looks nasty! Quite shocking considering the rooms are 'refurbished'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter