Pools - with a little belly, like 3 months pregnant (not)

Wear what you like and makes you feel comfy. Please don't worry what others think!!

A few years ago DH and I went shopping at Macy's for a swimsuit and he couldn't sit in the "husband chair" as another guy was in it while his wife was in the fitting room trying stuff on. I grabbed 3 suits and went into the fitting room. When I got the first one one, I liked how it looked and went out to show DH. I was kind of stunned to not see him in "the chair" but just shrugged and marche dout onto the floor looking for him. The other guy just kind of goggled at me as I found DH, twirled around, got his nod of "looks good!", and marched back into the fitting room. The guy murmured something along the lines of "I can't believe you walked out into the store in the swimsuit..." as I went by. I stopped, looked at him, and said "I'm shopping for a swimsuit to wear on vacation....If I am not comfortable enough to walk out into anearly empty store to show my husband, then i'm not comfortable enough in it to wear on vacation in front of people I will never see again."

The guy started laughing and said "that's the smartest thing I've ever heard!" then he yelled to his wife "You hear that honey?!?"

ETA...I am no super model. I would certainly be considered plus size at size 12.

I've worn Lands End tankini with matching skort for years. I wear a rash guard on top if I"m out for more than 20 minutes in the midday. Very pale and burn in no time.

I have a small belly fat when I stand up straight.
Not the healthiest place to carry fat - still trying to lose weight.
So women - do you wear a 1 piece bathing suit with a tummy bump showing?
Do you were a lose t-shirt over your bathing suit ?
I am very modest
Thank you

I'm 45 and have 3 kids...I used to care about it but now I don't.

This year I'm carrying extra weight because I haven't been able to run due to injury.

I mainly worry about getting a suit that is flattering and comfortable, no matter what my belly looks like.

High waisted briefs are great for me with a flattering bikini top. Surprisingly DD2 also likes this style and she's 16.

Wear what you feel comfortable in. Chances are you won't see any of those strangers ever again in your life and your companions won't care either way.

I also have a little belly and I've found suits with a "ruched" mid-section feel very comfortable to me. They tend to pull me in a little where I could use it. Now if I could find something to tame my thunder thighs! We really enjoy the pools and water parks in WDW and, boy, do I feel a bit uncomfortable walking around feeling so "exposed", but, with every trip, I'm trying to get over it a little so I can just enjoy our time there. You will notice women of all sizes wearing all kinds of suits there. Wear what makes you comfortable and have fun! I've also found some nice UPF swim tops (Lands End makes some nice ones) and ruched bathing suits with a little skirt which are fun as well!

There are one piece or two piece tankinis you can buy with a “tummy control” feature that help a lot. Also look for ones with prints and ruching that will help to camouflage. I find plain solid ones, even in black (which is supposed to be slimming) don’t really help in the belly area. There’s lots of styles online that you can browse, then go in store to try on.

I'm 42 and have had 2 c-sections, so no flat tummy here. I always wear a tankini, but I don't bother to put a shirt over it. I think a one-piece suit makes me (just me, not speaking for anyone else) look worse.

I don't pay attention to what anyone else wears, though.

Try Rotita.com, suits come from Shanghai and take about 2 weeks to arrive minimum. I have ordered 4 swimdresses from them. True to size, very forgiving and very inexpensive. Suits average about $28 each. Some ugly designs, some pretty ones, just look through all of them.

I am older now as well and "Pooh" sized. I also wear a one piece simply because it is more comfortable for me. I used to care how I looked to others in my 20's and 30's especially after having three boys. There was a time I wouldn't wear shorts even in 90 degree temps. But wisdom comes with age. We will be heading to WDW this December, if it will be warm enough to swim, I'll be there in the pool - and I won't give a hoot who likes seeing me or not in my swim suit. It's my well earned, very expensive Disney vacation. I will be enjoying every second of it. If anyone doesn't like it, don't look. Life really is too short to worry about nonsense. So enjoy your trip Pooh2001 and make magical memories.
pooh:

Do you were a lose t-shirt over your bathing suit ?

Since you are in the mode of caring how you look, I must say that I think a t-shirt when you're swimming looks SO much worse than any other choice. It just clings once it's wet. Just a rashguard type of fabric will sit so much better on you. And frankly I think a bikini is just fine. If I could find a string bikini bottom that has the fabric cut right (so it covers the skin I want to cover) I'd love that b/c I love how those sit and don't squash the hip skin/fat.

I am male concerned about something similar. Have had quite a few surgeries of late and worried about showing scars across my stomach and chest. Not to self conscious but if a child points and asks mom or dad " what's wrong with him" or " what happened to him" it could just be really akward for everyone. Think I'll just t-shirt it on the pools.

The only awkward part is how the parents might react. Kids ask questions because they want to know. If they ask you, you can tell them if you wish.

I would not worry about anyone. Middle age, had three children (c/sections). I literally look like I am 6/7 months pregnant - have looked this way for many years now (started late 40s). I wear a one piece or the two piece tankini.........regardless - there is no hiding it and do not try to/can't. Do I wish I did not have it, do I try to suck my tummy in lol of course.......but it does not stop me. It is what it is. Life is happening. It's not going anywhere even if I lost 20 pounds - surgery is the only thing that would help and that's not happening (risk of inceftions, things going wrong, etc.).

A friend of mine had 5 babies the same way (the last one was POST tubal ligation...), and looked the same for years, to the point where I worried about her (b/c my stepmom developed a softball sized tumor in her uterus after her last child, and looked about 5 months along b/c of it). The friend got started with Noom several months ago, and her belly is actually shrinking quite a bit. Surgery *might* not be required to make a difference. Also, pilates is amazing.

Love the support of the top—best ever in a swim suit.

TRUE.

I was always very thin and *could* wear a bikini but never felt like I looked great in one as I was kind of a stick.

Meanwhile curvy teens like me were YEARNING to be stick thin so we looked better in a bikini...

Here's my one piece! It's a miracle-suit, I loved the retro look. I'm small, but I can still tell it sucks in the stomach. (not my thighs though...)

df9a3160-7f75-4fee-81bf-495644fa7111.jpeg

All it took was going on a Med cruise where people of all shapes and sizes wore whatever made them happy on the pool deck (yes, swimwear WAS required) for me to learn that no one else cares what you look like.

Wear what makes you happy and comfortable. The only one judging you is you.

I am male concerned about something similar. Have had quite a few surgeries of late and worried about showing scars across my stomach and chest. Not to self conscious but if a child points and asks mom or dad " what's wrong with him" or " what happened to him" it could just be really akward for everyone. Think I'll just t-shirt it on the pools.

You should look at the Surf tee shirts. They are made to go in the water, dry fast and have built in UV protection. They are becoming more and more popular for everyone to wear especially to protect from sun.

You should look at the Surf tee shirts. They are made to go in the water, dry fast and have built in UV protection. They are becoming more and more popular for everyone to wear especially to protect from sun.

Thanks never thought of that idea

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter