POLL: VGF or Riviera - Home Resort Priority

Is it more helpful to have home resort priority at VGF or Riviera?

• VGF

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • Riviera

Votes: 24 37.5%

• Total voters
I'm going to say VGF, but mostly because I am apparently the weird one who would rather book a preferred at RIV than a standard, and most preferred rooms are, as of now, fairly open at 7-months. I understand the points-savings of a standard-view, but I don't get the attraction otherwise. You basically get a boring view of the parking lot or the dumpsters, maybe the Epcot ball in the background if you're lucky, and once a day you get some far-away fireworks that everyone has seen a hundred times and are much better seen from the park anyway.

I don't own at VGF, and have had to waitlist there before, so that's my vote.

Could be a problem if you are buying for the 1-2 bedrooms. All the sudden you have all those points that have studios only being really interested in the 1-2 bedrooms making them more difficult to get.
I’d guess the majority of current Poly owners have points only to cover studios at Poly.

Last edited:
Kind of going back because I know some people have said they’ve been able to get RIV tower studios and standard views at 7 months. RIV is only a little over half sold out so it will only become harder and harder to book without priority there. I’m not sure how much of VGF is filled and how many points the new building added tbh but I imagine it’s less than half of a brand new resort.

Very very small point but the point chart at VGF js just barely higher than RIV as well by 10-20 points per week.

These are some of the big questions you should ask yourself
1. Resale restrictions - do you care about them? If you have any concern about selling this in the future then you should buy VGF, are you okay with the drop in value of RIV when resold?
2. Do you really want another MK resort since you already own Poly?
3. Do you care about the shorter duration of VGF?
4. For split stays are you more likely to do poly/vgf or poly/riv? IMO its a wash between their booking priorities both have pros and are desirable resorts to own at
5. Again with poly tower on the horizon do you really want to add VGF and then find out later it’s the same association and realize you need more poly points and have all of your points invested in MK?
6. Could you see yourself buying BWV/BCV as an Epcot resort instead of RIV? If not, do not plan on buying an Epcot area resort for awhile
7. Is there a reason you wouldn’t consider resale VGF in the future?

Last edited:
Kind of going back because I know some people have said they’ve been able to get RIV tower studios and standard views at 7 months. RIV is only a little over half sold out so it will only become harder and harder to book without priority there. I’m not sure how much of VGF is filled and how many points the new building added tbh but I imagine it’s less than half of a brand new resort.

Very very small point but the point chart at VGF js just barely higher than RIV as well by 10-20 points per week.

1. Resale restrictions - do you care about them? If you have any concern about selling this in the future then you should buy VGF, are you okay with the drop in value of RIv when resold?
3. For split stays are you more likely to do poly/vgf or poly/riv? IMO its a wash between their booking priorities both have prosand are desirable resorts to own at
4. Again with poly tower on the horizon do you really want to add VGF and then find out later it’s the same association and realize you need more poly points and have all of your points invested in MK?
5. Could you see yourself buying BWV/BCV as an Epcot resort instead of RIV? If not, do not plan on buying an Epcot area resort for awhile
6. Is there a reason you wouldn’t consider resale VGF in the future?
1. Yes, I don’t like resale restrictions but I like direct points so for Epcot area that is a conundrum.
2. No, but VGF has good pricing in direct, unrestricted points right now. (Fomo)
3. No. Duration is still good at VGF.
4. No. This is the big question. If I knew what the Poly association would be then I wouldn’t have all this uncertainty.
5. No
6. Yes, I prefer direct points going forward so if I were ever going to buy VGF this would be the time. If Poly is one association I would not consider VGF because I already have MK. But with the unknown of the Poly tower association those $161.10 direct, unrestricted VGF points are very tempting even though I probably really only want another 100 pts. But at that price, it’s worth considering 150… and Riviera had good prices too. 🤔

1. Yes, I don’t like resale restrictions but I like direct points so for Epcot area that is a conundrum.
2. No, but VGF has good pricing in direct, unrestricted points right now. (Fomo)
4. No. This is the big question. If I knew what the Poly association would be then I wouldn’t have all this uncertainty.
5. No
6. Yes, I prefer direct points going forward so if I were ever going to buy VGF this would be the time. If Poly is one association I would not consider VGF because I already have MK. But with the unknown of the Poly tower association those $161.10 direct, unrestricted VGF points are very tempting even though I probably really only want another 100 pts. But at that price, it’s worth considering 150… and Riviera had good prices too. 🤔
Woops sorry messed up with my numbering but do you think you’ll do a poly/vgf split stay or prefer a poly/riv split?

But also if poly tower really matters that much to you I’d personally wait unless you have an immediate need for the points right now.

That pretty much leaves you with Riviera or wait for the poly announcement for now. Then depending on the poly announcement VGF, RIV or more poly.

Last edited:
Woops sorry messed up with my numbering but do you think you’ll do a poly/vgf split stay or prefer a poly/riv split?

But also if poly tower really matters that much to you I’d personally wait unless you have an immediate need for the points right now.

That pretty much leaves you with Riviera or wait for the poly announcement for now. Then depending on the poly announcement VGF, RIV or more poly.
3b. We prefer not to do split stays, like to try out different resorts, and are also always happy to stay at our home resort Poly, and whichever other home resort we might add.

I'm going to say VGF, but mostly because I am apparently the weird one who would rather book a preferred at RIV than a standard

Yeah, I think the "Standard view is better than preferred view at Riv" crowd is a little overboard. The preferred view is very pleasant. The Riviera grounds are gorgeous, as is the lake.

The standard view can potentially see Epcot fireworks over a parking lot, busy road, and wall of trees... ok.

I mainly book standard because, as someone else said, the point discrepancy is fairly significant.

Riviera

Less resorts around Epcot and lower priced standard rooms will go more quickly.

Around MK there are more resorts (another one being built) and especially for studios you have Poly with only studio rooms.

That being said we stayed at VGF last summer. It's nice but don't like the long walk to TTC to get to Epcot, security before monorail (so it's more of a pain to monorail hop), and we don't personally like MK in evenings as we rope drop there more often and spend the evening in Epcot for dinner and a ride or two with an easy way back to the resort.

Yeah, I think the "Standard view is better than preferred view at Riv" crowd is a little overboard. The preferred view is very pleasant. The Riviera grounds are gorgeous, as is the lake.

The standard view can potentially see Epcot fireworks over a parking lot, busy road, and wall of trees... ok.

I mainly book standard because, as someone else said, the point discrepancy is fairly significant.
Same, I don't care so much about the view, I like both tbh but the 20% savings in points makes it worth it to me personally. The only time I care about the view is if I were staying at BLT/VGF for a fireworks view or Aulani for an ocean view.

We were seriously considering an add on with the new incentives. Literally were in the process of booking flights. We already own on the monorail so VGF was not what we were going to buy. We haven’t stayed at RIV, but like many things about it. The dealbreaker for us deciding not to add on is RIV resale restrictions. Long term, if RIV becomes a place we own, it will be resale for the price savings.

As for Poly tower, we are hoping it is a new resort with restrictions. That will mean the millions of PVB points will not be able to book the 1BR and 2BR before the 7 month window. (Something we fear with VGF addition). We are only interested in the tower for the 1BR and 2BR. Prefer the location of existing PVB longhouses for studio stays.

Home priority may increase in necessity at RIV over time. The restrictions make me too uncomfortable though. It would be bad enough parting with our DVC contract for whatever reason without an extra gut punch seeing the divergence in resale prices from other restrictionless resorts. Maybe it won’t be a concern. Still the risk is a deal breaker.

LOL. Personally I think resale restrictions as a con is really blown out of proportion. For a long time RIV was the only one with restrictions so it kinda has this stigma for being the first resort to introduce resale restrictions and anytime a poll is posted with RIV as an option I feel like it typically doesn't win because people associate it with being responsible for the restrictions. However, before long with VDH, potentially poly tower and FW cabins having them it will soon become the norm. I view DVC as purely an investment in vacations rather than a financial one and I don't expect to recuperate the costs of buying in so I bought where I wanted to stay at which is RIV but I know, to each their own.

Your answer depends on a number of metrics. I own both for different reasons.

Advantages VGF: I like to stay in the original building and you need the 11 month booking window to access rooms here. The introduction of the resort studios has taken a boutique exclusive resort and made it more widely available at the 7 month mark. If you want 1 bedrooms + though, you will also need to own here. If you do want larger rooms the home resort priority will be more important here than RVA. If you are happy with the resort studios then I don't think owning here is essential unless you travel in Fall Frenzy.

Advantages of RVA: The resort is better balanced between room types. If you want any standard view category here though, owning is essential. The discrepancy between standard view and preferred view in points is significant. Compared with all other resorts, the "preferred view" isn't remarkable and in my opinion a waste of points. I like that Riviera is mid way to everywhere and as a result I view Riviera as a more convenient location than VGF.

With the introduction of the resort studios my answer has now flipped somewhat. I think it's better to have the 11 month home resort advantage at RVA for standard rooms with the proviso that you aren't wedded to 1-2 bedrooms/original building at VGF.

Me? I own VGF for the original building (bought resale before the introduction of resort studios). And I own RVA for mid way access to everything non-magic kingdom with a fixed week standard view during Fall Frenzy.
We bought in this order: BLT, VGF, RIV and now likely adding on at VGF. That said, given your responses, I voted RIV for you.
Also to piggy back on your comment at Riv, Standard and Tower are the best luck at getting an Epcot Fireworks View. Most Preferred look at Caribbean beach. I book standard view because of this.
I do too. At each of our RIV stays we've managed to get MK and EP fireworks views from our standard room. While the preferred views are beautiful and peaceful, I still prefer the fireworks view.
Based on you already owning Polynesian, why buy VGF next door then? Go buy Riviera and diversify your stay/portfolio. When we split between VGF and Riviera they feel like two entirely separate trips.
We do this as well. We split between one of our MK resorts and RIV. When we want to go crazy, we use some BLT points for AKV. I know OP said they don't do split stays, but sometimes, on a long trip, it is fun.
I understand the points-savings of a standard-view, but I don't get the attraction otherwise. You basically get a boring view of the parking lot or the dumpsters, maybe the Epcot ball in the background if you're lucky, and once a day you get some far-away fireworks that everyone has seen a hundred times and are much better seen from the park anyway.
I may be jinxing myself but our standard view rooms have always been pretty spectacular. Take this with a grain of salt, because I also book BLT standard rooms for fireworks views, but the parking lot and lower stuff is much better at Riviera, so that may be why I am happy to book standard rooms.
1. Resale restrictions - do you care about them? If you have any concern about selling this in the future then you should buy VGF, are you okay with the drop in value of RIV when resold?
4. For split stays are you more likely to do poly/vgf or poly/riv? IMO its a wash between their booking priorities both have pros and are desirable resorts to own at
5. Again with poly tower on the horizon do you really want to add VGF and then find out later it’s the same association and realize you need more poly points and have all of your points invested in MK?
6. Could you see yourself buying BWV/BCV as an Epcot resort instead of RIV? If not, do not plan on buying an Epcot area resort for awhile
7. Is there a reason you wouldn’t consider resale VGF in the future?

5. No
I am going to be talking to my guide shortly, but ... I *think* RIV is only about $5 per point more than VGF and not too much more in dues. If they were the same price I'd be adding on at RIV for several reasons, and even at $5 pp more I still have a hard time picking VGF.

Here's why we chose VGF:

Riviera is the adults' favorite resort, while VGF is the kids' (school age) favorite. I think we are adding on to VGF because we want to spend more time there over Christmas break in 2br units with my dad (mom died in 2021). We prefer RIV for New Years, but if we split stay, we spend more time at VGF and our family of 4 can still make a studio (or even a 1br) work if my dad doesn't join us at Riviera. For that reason, we think more VGF points is better for us since it will be hard to get the larger units. Also I think Christmas will continue to be harder to get at VGF for the foreseeable future. Getting rooms at 11 mo, 8am for Christmastime at VGF is REALLY hard - any room size or view. I have had to book days/rooms when I could and waitlist and hope for the best. All of that process is less fraught with more points at VGF. Since we usually book smaller rooms for shorter stays at Riviera, the points we have there are generally enough. Although we did take that GV tour at Riviera and it was spectacular....

Here's why I voted RIV for you:

You don't own either one yet, but you do own Poly. VGF is so close to Poly in location, room size, point costs. If you think you need or want to buy more Poly, you could consider that later.
Given the later expiration date of RIV, the price differential is probably negligible.
As others upthread have said, diversification of location! and also better room size balance! (we bought thinking we'd stick with studios - now 6-7 years later we are mostly in 2 bedrooms. But even without my dad joining us, we'd be in 1br for many of our trips; when my sister's family comes, we'll need 2br + a studio)
The same # of points will go farther at Riviera, regardless of the room category/view. VGF standard rooms cost about the same as RIV preferred rooms. (Riviera standard costs around BLT lake view rooms) So for the same amount of money, you could get a better view and/or stay more nights at Riviera.

I stayed away from the more subjective things like theming, dining, etc. Those are going to be up to your own tastes, but the rooms feel similarly sized and are similarly appointed. We can't even pick a family favorite. For example, our 3 favorite restaurants at WDW are Victoria and Albert's (but we don't go every trip or every year) and California Grill / Topolino's (tie) (we try to visit each trip in order to break the tie... )

I believe with closing costs and including all current promotions for 150 pts it is $165.661 pp VGF vs $172.327667 pp Riviera. (including Developer Credit, 5 “free” points, Magical Beginnings, and Welcome Home) So, $1,000 difference overall due to higher Developer Credit for VGF.

Last edited:
I believe with closing costs and including all current promotions for 150 pts it is $165.661 pp VGF vs $172.327667 pp Riviera. (including Developer Credit, 5 “free” points, Magical Beginnings, and Welcome Home) So, $1,000 difference overall due to higher Developer Credit for VGF.
The only additional cost would be for those selling back 2023 points who have to pay the prorated dues on points they don’t get to use. I’d be in that boat as I have a February use year. My cost would be an additional $4.2758 per point (approximately) for VGF.

Last edited:
Great question. If the Polynesian tower is the same association as existing Poly then I am 100% buying points. If it’s a separate association with restricted points then I am extremely unlikely to buy because I already own at existing Poly. I wish I knew the answer to the association question. Because I don’t know, and the summer incentives are so tempting, I’m thinking I should buy Riviera for Epcot/HS access because I will probably buy Riviera if the Poly tower is not the same association. But I also like VGF for the price for unrestricted direct points that would hold their value if I ever decide to sell. Or I can just try to ignore these enticing summer incentives and continue waiting to find out about the polynesian tower association, and possibly miss out on these current great deals for direct points 🤔
I'm in a similar spot. We just closed on our first resale contract and I had no intentions on buying direct this soon. I was planning to wait and see what happens with the Poly tower. But these summer incentives are really pushing me to buy now, knowing I'll be able to stay in the Poly tower with unrestricted points. Decisions, decisions. I own at CCV, so initially thought between VGF or RIV, I'd want RIV to have the proximity to Epcot / skyliner but the restrictions if I ever decided to sell make me leery. So many decisions!

I'm in a similar spot. We just closed on our first resale contract and I had no intentions on buying direct this soon. I was planning to wait and see what happens with the Poly tower. But these summer incentives are really pushing me to buy now, knowing I'll be able to stay in the Poly tower with unrestricted points. Decisions, decisions. I own at CCV, so initially thought between VGF or RIV, I'd want RIV to have the proximity to Epcot / skyliner but the restrictions if I ever decided to sell make me leery. So many decisions!
I am in the same situation. Just purchased a small CCV resale contract. Once that closed we added a 50 pt direct at CCV. We havent officially closed on that yet, and I spoke to my guide today about the VGF/RIV incentives. Considering changing our 50 pt CCV direct over to 150 at RIV because we would get so many more points for our money.

To make it more interesting, CCV currently has a small incentive at 150 pts too. It wouldnt qualify for the Welcome Home incentive, but it does the Magical Beginnings one. So we could bump up to 150 pts and get some savings.

VGF is a no for use because we want the Poly Tower eventually.

Anyone have any thoughts there?

Good luck!

Poly may be the first (and possibly only) resort where they have non-restricted and restricted for the same resort. Those who like Poly (and are grandfathered) or purchased directly have benefit if Tower is separate association.

Unless tower has significantly fewer 1BR than past resorts, the Tower may follow historical pattern of studios book first, 2BR second, and 1BR last.
PVB for studios.

Many pointed out similar issues (but reverse) would have happened if VGF BPK had been restricted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter