• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poll: Do you 'skip' Animal Kingdom on trips?

Do you 'skip' the Animal Kingdom on trips?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't exactly skip AK...but I definitely don't assign a whole day to it. In the past, my family has only spent a couple of hours there riding the must-rides: the safari, countdown to extinction, and kali river rapids. I think it has to do with the fact that we have no children younger than 16 in the family.

would rather skip any other park (even MK) than to miss AK. We love it and can't understand how many can not stand it at all. To each his/her own. Maybe because it is so different than anything else (at WDW and elsewhere) that cause some to REALLY love it and some to REALLY hate it!

We skip AK if it is a hot time of year. That has to be the hottest park! It's lots of fun in a cooler time but well worth skipping in the heat--IMO.

We have been known to skip it too... I know shame on us;)
Last yr, we went for an hr right before closing, which was actually a good thing. We got to walk right on to the safari ride and see the parade.
This yr though, I think we will go and tour some more. My children really do love the animals. Usually our time is so limited, we rather spendmost of it at the Magic Kingdom.

We would never skip it, but we only take half a day to do it. The same with MGM-just half a day. For those two parks, doing everything once is enough. But at MK and Epcot, we like to repeat things twice or more. :)

Originally posted by stinkerbelle
wow - I guess us that love AK loveit for the same reasons! ;)

seriously - DH and I can be the ones found watching a gorilla play with a blanket or bale of hay for 20 minutes. Or just stare at a sleeping tiger.

It's NAHTAZU!!!!

uhh, just thought I 'd mention we are probably the couple standing beside you doing the same thing...

I wonder if some that don't care for this park have ever been able to talk to the cms about the exhibits..they are such a wealth of information....like I learned how the kemodo(sp) dragon kills it's prey ( which can include you and me btw) by it's bite injecting a bacteria that kills them within 3 days. that purina makes exotic animal "chows" that they feed along with the fresh foods, that coyotes have been skulking around AK looking for an easy dinner? ( although the electric fence is for 2 footed trouble makers), lots of interesting little things I never knew... so slap a "nerd" sticker on my forehead and let me spend some time watching the gorillas up in the trees !( never saw that before in any "zoo", even the ones with good gorilla exibits)

oh course the alternate theory is some really don't care what the animals eat:) guess we just loved this park so much I can not conceive of anyone having another opinion:teeth: !( just kidding)

No, we love AK.

If we were to skip a park, it would be Epcot. We've never really cared for it. In fact, last trip, we spent about 2 hours at Epcot. Saw character bus, Mission Space, & Speedway only.

I agree abt MGM, too, it's become a 1/2 day park.

jann - have you ever done the backstage safari??

it's starts around 8 or 8:30am and runs to just before lunch time...you get to do ALOT of backstage things...see how they care for the animals, how their meals are prepared (they eat WELL there!) and we even got to 'pet' a rhino!

they also take you on the safari ride and point out a few "disney ebellishments". ;) they will also tell you how the savannah is designed to keep lions away from tommies!

It was well worth the money! I would also reccommend to you the sunrise AND sunset safari offered through AKL concierge. The sunset one is strickly AKL savannahs - but the sunrise one takes you on the safari ride in AK right when the animals are getting out there.

ever have a rhino bum rush your vehicle? heheheh

seriously look into doing those things next time...I think you would FULLY enjoy them.

Since you brought up tours, stinkerbelle, I have a question. As an AK lover, are both Backstage Safari and Wild by Design equally good? Anyone who's done both, is one much better than the other. It's not that I can't decide which to do-it's that I wonder which tour to do FIRST. Eventually I'll probably do them both.

I went to AK in '98 and again in the trip after that one. I haven't been back since then, but I think I will head back next time.

Originally posted by stinkerbelle
jann - have you ever done the backstage safari??

it's starts around 8 or 8:30am and runs to just before lunch time...you get to do ALOT of backstage things...see how they care for the animals, how their meals are prepared (they eat WELL there!) and we even got to 'pet' a rhino!

they also take you on the safari ride and point out a few "disney ebellishments". ;) they will also tell you how the savannah is designed to keep lions away from tommies!

It was well worth the money! I would also reccommend to you the sunrise AND sunset safari offered through AKL concierge. The sunset one is strickly AKL savannahs - but the sunrise one takes you on the safari ride in AK right when the animals are getting out there.

ever have a rhino bum rush your vehicle? heheheh

seriously look into doing those things next time...I think you would FULLY enjoy them.

sorry ot but...we might do the magical gatherings with the safari ride in Nov...is that the same as any of the above? thanks

Oh my gosh, I love AK, I would never dream of skipping it. It's my relaxation park. I truly get carried away to another time and place while I'm there, like that old Calgon bath commercial, LOL. I love to just leisurely stroll through the paths, taking in all the foliage, flowers, bright colors, earthy colors, I could go on and on. One of my favorite things to do is sit and relax at the Dawa Bar, listening to the music, and if I'm lucky, watching the African dancers/acrobats. It's a truly amazing park.:D

Originally posted by Simba's Mom
Since you brought up tours, stinkerbelle, I have a question. As an AK lover, are both Backstage Safari and Wild by Design equally good?
I haven't done Wild By Design, but I can give two BIG THUMBS UP to Backstage Safari. It's an absolutely wicked cool tour! If you love AK, then you'll love Backstage Safari. Wild By Design is also probably excellent. That'll go on my wish list for our next trip. :)

Originally posted by Simba's Mom
Since you brought up tours, stinkerbelle, I have a question. As an AK lover, are both Backstage Safari and Wild by Design equally good? Anyone who's done both, is one much better than the other. It's not that I can't decide which to do-it's that I wonder which tour to do FIRST. Eventually I'll probably do them both.

I'm really not sure...I've never done the Wild by Design tour...but, (and I had to check allearsnet to confirm this), WBD is all "on stage"...you don't get to do any backstage stuff like in the Backstage safari. Here's what allearsnet says about WBD:

Learn some of the stories behind the making of Disney's Animal Kingdom. You'll learn how art, architecture, historical artifacts and storytelling are combined to transport you to exotic lands filled with wild animals. This 3 hour on-stage, walking tour will provide insights into the design and building of this new species of theme park as well as a glimpse into the complexities of caring for animals and habitats. Your journey will take you into the land of Anandapur, to the village of Harambe in Africa and through the colorful world of Discovery Island. You'll marvel at the efforts that go into creating and sustaining a "wild" place like Disney's Animal Kingdom! A light continental breakfast will be served midway through the program.

you have to be 14 for that tour.

Backstage safari:
Find out what happens behind-the-scenes at Animal Kingdom. You'll get an insider's look at the innovative ways that we are meeting challenges in areas such as conservation, animal nutrition and medicine, animal care and behavioral studies. Highlights include visits to: backstage animal housing areas to meet some of our keepers and learn how we care for our animals on a daily basis; the Animal Nutrition Center, where all of our animal's diets are prepared; our state-of-the-art Veterinary Hospital and Animal Programs Administration to learn how we are constantly seeking new ways to ensure our animal's health and well being. This program takes place entirely behind the scenes.

Animal viewing is extremely limited. No photography will be allowed backstage.

This 3 hour tour is offered Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You must be 16 years of age or older.

-----------------

Originally posted by jann1033
sorry ot but...we might do the magical gatherings with the safari ride in Nov...is that the same as any of the above? thanks

again, I'm not too sure about this one...I've heard of 'private' tours on both the AKL and AK savannahs...so i'm really not sure which one you'd be taking! Sorry I can't be more help!

(sorry this was so long!) :)

Originally posted by ead79
If I had to skip a park on a WDW trip, I would choose to skip Disney-MGM Studios over Animal Kingdom. DH and I both love the Animal Kingdom, and we enjoy our visits. I love the theming and the attractions (Kilimanjaro Safari is positively incredible!). Plus, neither of us ride thrill rides and generally speaking we're not huge stage show buffs, so Disney-MGM Studios isn't our style as much as AK is.

We couldn't agree more. MGM holds no magic for us. For us, if we decide to go at all, MGM is a 1 hour park. 1) Get fastpass for TOT 2) go on RnR 3) use fast pass for ToT.

And to tell you the truth, we're getting to the point where it is not worth going to the park for just these 2 rides. We also don't think the dining options compare to those at neighboring Epcot and Boardwalk, so what's the point? There are no real celebrities there; atleast at Animal Kingdom you get to see real animals! AK is a great park to do after doing type A days at MK and the water parks. It has such a tranquil and soothing atmosphere and helps us recharge. I seriously hope that the new attractions they are adding to AK don't take away from that restorative atmosphere. That would really be counterproductive, but I wouldn't put it past them to mess up a good thing... remember that horrible thing called Dinoland?

I've enjoyed reading about what everyone thinks of AK. Does anyone know why/when they discontinued the boat that went around the park. You still can see the docks.

Bobbi:D

Originally posted by bobbiwoz
I've enjoyed reading about what everyone thinks of AK. Does anyone know why/when they discontinued the boat that went around the park. You still can see the docks.

It used to be something...I remember that...when the park first opened. It stopped running maybe 6 months after opening? (I used to know this...will have to research it some.)

I think it MAY have been the "boat ride to Beastly Kingdom" (another section of the park) that never really got off the ground.

I'll update this post if I find it.

ETA
Here is a REALLY good explanation!
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/legacy/index.htm?../articles/archive.0020.1.htm~contentFrame

basically people thought it was boring! but this link is DEFINETLY worth a read!

I'm probably going to get flamed big time, but can someone please tell me what the big attraction is with AK?? We went last year for the first time and really, I could have done without it. We did the early entry and couldn't wait to leave. I'll admit the safari was cool, and Dinosaur was exciting.. but the rest did not impress me much.
I really don't think we'll be hitting that park when we go back in March.....

stinkerbelle-is there a particular story on the link regarding AK, or is it all just good reading?

Mr.BsMom, no flames here for you. DH and I do like it a lot. Didn't you enjoy the Festival of the Lion King? I also liked the bird show. We used to go to Discovery Island (in the water by river country) with our boys because we always took time to walk the trails and see the animals.

In MGM, we also "do" Beauty and the Beast show every other year, I think it's lovely.

hmmm...did the link not work? lemme see how much of it I can copy paste here. (FYI - the writing is rather "colorful")

from http://www.jimhillmedia.com/legacy/index.htm?../articles/archive.0020.1.htm~contentFrame

There's always one of them at every party. The wet blanket. That loud mouthed jerk who spoils everyone's fun by revealing how a trick was done. The smart *** who takes the wind out of your sails by deliberately sharing something that was supposed to be secret.

Well, this week, kids, I'm that smart ***. I'm the loud mouthed cad with the bad news. The guy who gets to break the hearts of Disney dweebs everywhere. For I'm the one who gets to tell you -- despite what you may have heard or seen this week -- that construction is NOT about to begun on any attractions for DAK's long awaited Beastly Kingdom.

To be brutally honest here, unless "Reign if Fire" -- this year's would-be summer blockbuster from Walt Disney Studios -– is an out-and-out smash, it's pretty damned unlikely that this long-promised expansion area for Disney's Animal Kingdom is ever going to make it off WDI's drawing board.

That said, I also have to say that it's perfectly understandable how this rumor got started. After all, I too have seen those pictures over at the E.B. Effects web page. A few kind DCACentral.com readers were nice enough to send me links to that site last week. And -- after looking these photos over -- I can understand how people might misinterpret all these melted suits of metal as being props that E.B. was creating to help decorate DAK's long awaited "Dragon's Tower" (AKA "Dare the Dragon") roller coaster.

Only that's not what E.B. Effects built these suits of armor for, kids. All these gnarly looking knights weren't constructed for some DAK attraction that hasn't opened yet. But rather, they were built back in 1997 for a Disney's Animal Kingdom ride that actually closed back in August 2000: The Discovery River Ride (AKA the water taxis AKA the Radio Disney River ******).

How many of you DCACentral.com readers out there actually remember the Discovery River boats? These large, open air, 62 passenger vessels (similar to the "Friendships" launches that regularly ****** across Epcot's World Showcase lagoon) that were supposed to depart every ten minutes and take WDW guests on a leisurely ****** halfway around Discovery Island? Most people don't recall this DAK attraction because the Discovery River boat ride -- in its original form, anyway -- only ran for the first six months that the theme park was open.

And why was that, kids? Well, most Disney World visitors just hated the idea that they'd waited in line for a half hour or more for something that turned out to be a non-attraction. So they'd complain (quite vocally, in fact) to Guest Relations. Which is why WDI kept shutting down the Discovery River boat ride for retheming / revamping. In a desperate effort to turn this disparaged attraction into something that WDW visitors might actually enjoy.

And what exactly was the problem with DAK's Discovery River boats? Some say that the real reason that this ride got such a bad rap was that its primary boat dock was located too close to DAK's entrance. After all, the Discovery River boat ride was the very first attraction guests would see as they entered the park (after exiting the Oasis and walking over the bridge toward the park's Safari Village area).

So, since the typical tourist automatically queues up for the very first attraction he sees (which explains those enormous lines for Spaceship Earth that you'll usually encounter if you enter Epcot early in the morning), the bulk of DAK's visitors quickly made their way to the Safari Village dock. Once there, these WDW visitors would look out at those authentically distressed looking vessels (with colorful names like the "Hasty Hippo," " Darting Dragonfly" and "Otter Nonsense") and think that they were about to depart on a ride that would be at least as much fun as the "Jungle ******" over at WDW's Magic Kingdom was.

Of course, the description of the Discovery River ride that guests had read in the park's pre-opening literature didn't help matters. It said that this DAK attraction would give WDW visitors ...

"... a preview of the fascinating lands of Disney's Animal Kingdom. You'll depart from Safari Village and ****** past the foreboding Dragon Rocks, where fearsome bellows and gusts of real fire emanate from a rocky lair. Farther upriver, as steaming geysers erupt right beside your boat, you'll get a waterside view of Harambe just before you exit at Upcountry Landing near Africa. You may also depart from Upcountry Landing to complete your tour of Discovery River. You'll pass the shores of Asia, an exciting new land opening in early 1999. Then sail around giant animal sculptures that rise from the depths to spout water through the air. Be careful when you ****** by DinoLand, U.S.A. -- you just may startle a 35-foot dinosaur feeding in the river!"

Now doesn't that sound like a fun ride? The problem is that -- due to last minute budget cuts (not to mention creative compromises) -- the Discovery River boat ride never quite lived up to its pre-opening hype.

Take, for example, the attraction's Dragon Rocks area. As originally designed, this section of the Discovery River boat ride was basically supposed to be a coming attraction for Beastly Kingdom (a proposed expansion area for the park that was to have celebrated mythical creatures). And what better way is there to do that than give WDW visitors an up-close encounter with a fire breathing dragon?

According to the Imagineers' initial plans for this area of the attraction, the sequence was supposed to play out something like this: After passing under the Oasis bridge, guests on board the Discovery River boat would have spied a rough rock cave right at the water's edge. Out in the river, ringing the mouth of the cave, there would have been this series of jousting lances sticking up out of the mud. Spiked on top of each of these lances would be the battered armor of some unfortunate knight who had battled the dragon and lost.

("Hey, I bet that the battered armor that Jim's describing here is actually the stuff that's in those pictures that are up on the E.B. Effects web page," I can hear you saying. Well, yes they are, Mr. / Ms. Smarty Pants. Now please try not to get ahead of the rest of the class, okay?)

Anyway ... Had WDI gotten all the money that they needed to do this particular piece of the Discovery River ride right, the sequence would have continued along these lines: As your boat slowly moved by the cave's mouth, a ferocious growl would have echoed out of the darkness. Then -- as all of the tourists on board suddenly turned their attention toward the river bank -- the long neck and enormous head of a fire breathing dragon would come craning out of the cavern.

The repulsive reptile would have evilly eyeballed your vessel 'til the boat made it into the safety zone. Whereupon -- after throwing open its mouth -- this nasty looking beast would have sent a huge plume of fire out across the water (supposedly meant to scorch all you follks riding in the boat) before retreating back into its cave ... to await the next boatload of Discovery River passengers that passed its way.

Sounds pretty cool, doesn't it? The best part is: WDI thought that it had come up with a pretty affordable way to pull off DAK's dragon effect. They were just going to re-use the molds that Imagineer Terri Hardin had created for Disneyland Paris' dragon. (You know? That enormous Audio Animatromic figure that "sleeps" in La Taniere du Dragon under DLP's Le Chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant.) They'd recreate the front third of DLP's dragon, put it on a retractable rig that they'd build inside of that waterfront cave and -- Presto Changeo! -- Animal Kingdom's Discovery River boat ride would get one killer special effects sequence for this attraction at a basically bargain basement price.

The only problem was ... the money that the Imagineers needed to do DAK's dragon effect right ended up getting cut from the park's Phase One budget. It seems that Disney's accountants had radically under-estimated the amount of money that the Mouse would have to sink into Animal Kingdom's back-of-the-house areas (I.E. The animals' behind-the-scenes barns, the mostly out-of-sight safety features that keep the critters from getting out of their cages and eating the tourists, etc.). As a direct result, WDI was ordered to reduce the scope of most of DAK's in-park attractions.

For the Discovery River ride, this meant that the attraction would go from actually showing guests a full sized fire breathing dragon to merely suggesting that there was one hidden somewhere in that cave at water's edge. In the new scaled down version of this sequence -- as the boat floated by the cavern -- WDW visitors would hear ferocious growls echoing out of the darkness. And -- eventually after their vessel floated into the safety area -- a ball of fire would come shooting out of the cave and roll across the water.

Mind you, I don't need to tell you folks that there's a big difference -- entertainment-wise -- from actually seeing an enormous Audio Animatronic creature come out of a cave and breath fire at you and having it suggested that perhaps there might be a dragon somewhere in that cavern that you're just now floating by. Mind you, the Imagineers did the best they could with the money they had. But -- as one of my less refined Texas based pals would put it -- "That's a huge difference between chicken salad and chicken BEEP."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter