Poll: Dishes you must eat and those you must avoid on your cruise!

HAVE TO HAVE on each cruise: I love the breakfast buffet at Palo. But I order mostly breakfast food like the pancakes very fluffy and the eggs benedict. I also use to love the stollen bread with berries and cream which they no longer serve. At Palo dinner I have to have the Chocolate Souffle (I've tried the Grand Mariner one and I think I don't like it as I don't like the liquor in the sauce but that's why I think you'll get people liking one over the other). Once I had on the Med cruise from Topsiders on the first day a peanut butter chocolate pie that was to die for. I never found it again. Even tried the one in sitdown restaurant and it wasn't the same.

Things not to eat: I don't remember any.....

There are only a few things that stick out in my mind for really good & bad.

Most memorable best: The Grand Marnier Souffle - our server insisted we try it, I liked it better than the chocolate souffle in Palo

Most memorable worst: Conch Chowder - wasn't inedible, but it was the one dish I was most looking forward to after seeing it on a menu posted here. There was hardly any conch in it and when I mentioned it, I was brought another one, still only one peice of conch in the whole cup, but a lot of bacon instead--should have been called Bacon Soup

Ok, I'm taking notes. We have not sailed Disney since 2000 and we are on the Magic in September and the Dream next November. Keep em coming and I will add when we get back in Sept.

Linda

Just a note as to why some might like the Main Dining Grand Mariner souffle over the Palo Chocolate souffle: The Grand Mariner souffle isn't a true souffle, it has flour in it and as a result has a less "eggy" taste. The Palo Chocolate souffle has less (or no) flour in it and has more of an egg taste. That might be why self-professed chocoholics like Palo's less.

I like them both, but they are very different on the souffle scale.

One time at Parrot Cay, I had a blue cheese and asparagus risotto. My husband thinks that is a disgusting combination, but I could easily that every day and be the happiest person alive!

I was disappointed in the lobster tail. We spend copious amounts of time in Maine, and are used to getting lobster fresh off the boat, so on the ship it tasted mealy and validates coarse.

Anything from my Remy dinner on the Dream I would love to eat again..but I understand they change the menus up from time to time..so maybe it was a one shot yummy deal for those menu choices:confused3

I did not like any soup I tried in the MDRs on the Magic.

Got to have:

Escargo
Cookies from Room Service
All you can Shrimp at Cabanas
Sushi
Souffle at Palo
Strawberry Soup

Loved:
-Tomato soups from Palo and Enchanted Garden. Both were yummy. Recipes please...
-Fava beans/peas risotto. It came with sea bass, which was good, but the fava bean/pea risotto was just plain yummy.
-Palo's grape/bleu cheese pizza.
-Palo had this bagel type thing with olives and tomatoes. It hit all those flavors I like.
-Escargot on fancy night.
-Latke from Royal Court. It was with the wild boar. It was yummy yummy.
-Animator's Palate- corn soup/caramel corn/corn bread. Does anyone have the recipe?
-See you real soon dinner...I didn't know what to order, my dad suggested the pasta... white sauce spaghetti, clams, shrimp, asparagus, scallops, etc. Super good. The sauce was great. I liked it a lot, especially when my dad ate the clams.

It was okay... I could make it better at home:
-Spicy bloody Mary at Palo. I am a bloody Mary snob. Bloody Marys are what my grandpa makes all the time when you walk in the door, and frankly he makes the best. This was okay. It was extra spicy, but I could make it better at home.
-Belle's French Onion Soup. Belle is one of my favorite Disney characters (I was kinda' nerdy as a kid, and when that movie came out I was reading a lot... And Belle read a lot too.) and French Onion soup is one of my favorite foods. This was okay...

Didn't like:
-Pirate night's pot stickers. Pot stickers are made of like wonton wrappers. This was made from like pie dough and then deep fried. Even our waiter said "they're kid stuff..."
-Beauty and the Beast potato soup. I was thinking more potato. It was a potato and lentil and I guess I didn't realize that it had lentils. I don't like lentils.
-Baked Alaska on the See You Real Soon night.

I did like the food though!

HAVE TO HAVE on each cruise: I also use to love the stollen bread with berries and cream which they no longer serve. .....
Is this taken off Palo brunch menu on all the ships now? DH loved this and was the MAIN reason we always do the brunch.:(

Black Truffle Pasts Purseittes. I've had them on every cruise, almost every night, and I plan to continue the tradition. Love. Love. Love. :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

We have only sailed the Magic but will be sailing the Dream next month..I hope they have the Black Truffle Pasta as I see it mentioned alot on this thread and it sounds like something I would eat til comatose.

We liked:
Any of the cold fruity soups..usually at Parrot Cay and we like most things at Parrot Cay.
The Mac and Cheese with I think Lobster..or crab?..maybe both?..I always get this I love it. I think it was at Parrot Cay.
The Birthday Cake that they bring to your table..strawberry filled...
Most anything at Palo..although not a huge Souffle fan
and all the food at the little place by the pool where they have self serve ice cream and those cookies.....ugh I love those cookies...

We strongly dislike:
Any beef..it was all terrible
and alas the coffee...they really need to fix the coffee situation....

NOT: The mushroom tart. Cracked half my tooth eating that thing. Flying out to Wisconsin this Sunday so that my brother, who is a dentist, can do my repair work (and of course, everything else going on in my mouth) ;) :eek:

I loved the mushroom soup with truffle infusion. Yummmms!

I am obsessed with the grape pizza at Palo. I still dream about it!

Fun thread. Because I'm dieting.

Which menu has the Black Truffle Pasta? Did someone mention that?:rotfl:

From the Animator's menu on the Dream & Fantasy:

Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes
Pasta Purse filled with Truffle scented Cheese and coated with a delicate Champagne Sauce

most outstanding dish for us was the chilean sea bass that used to be on the menu about 10 years ago.
nothing else came close.

favorite-- scallops from EG!!

worst: shrimp cheesecake (AP)
the popcorn soup--- YUCK!!!!!!

Magic3forme said:
worst: shrimp cheesecake (AP)
the popcorn soup--- YUCK!!!!!!

Seriously?? How could those recipes even come to fruition? They sound completely awful!

I feel like I've gained a few pounds just reading through this thread. YUM!

Hoping for something similar on the Fantasy in December:
Lumiere's Seared Sea Bass and Escargot
Also the Creme Brulee from Lumiere's
Strawberry soup
Banana Bread Pudding from formal night--sooooo good!

Will not be having:
pseudo Baked Alaska--big disappointment
Banana-chocolate Crepe--blahh
Fettuccine with Parmesan crusted chicken--semi-formal night (why didn't I get the lobster??)

I actually liked the popcorn soup and the Grand Marnier Souffle was just "meh" to me.

Best I had-
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp at Royal Court lunch
Chicken Curry at Royal Court Lunch
Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes
Blue Cheese and Grape Pizza at Palo
Antipasta at Palo
Cheese at Remy
Wagyu Beef at Remy
Chocolate Souffle at Palo
Bacon Tomato and cheese Panini in the Cars fastfood area
Wild Mushroom Soup on Captains Gala Menu
Cornbeef Hash at Cabanas

Would Skip-
Pinenut and Raspberry Salad at Enchanted Garden
Cornish Hen on See You Real Soon Menu
Grand Marnier Souffle at Royal Court
No Sugar Added Apple Pie on Captains Gala menu
Lobster on Captains Gala menu

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter