Poll: Are you going to buy at Riviera

As a DVC Owner - are you planning on adding on points at Riviera

• Yes - I definitely will. I love everything I've seen about the resort

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Maybe - I am still waiting on more information (Points Charts, room selection, etc..)

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • No - I was but not now - I don't like the resale and/or likely points required.

Votes: 78 15.6%
  • No - If I add on, I'll add at one of the older resorts or buy resale

Votes: 154 30.9%
  • NO WAY - I was never even considering it.

Votes: 168 33.7%

• Total voters
I'm not sure how I originally answered, but I did it. (oops, I did it again).

I bought a guaranteed week for week # 48 in a standard view studio.

Interestingly, week 49 is already sold out. Weeks #47 and # 48 had one GW left. I bought the last week # 48 (I didn't ask about other weeks).

Sales must be good. And it seems like the "DVC studio issue" is catching on with people. If you want the studio at peak times, guaranteed weeks are the way to go, IMO. Well, hopefully. haha. (I own at CCV and it's a mess -- I concede CCV has other problems (cabins)).

I did the guaranteed week as a hedge against what could happen with (a) the resale restrictions and (b) any point chart changes to studios/early-Dec.

Despite being very uncertain when the resale restrictions came out, I feel quite good about it... Now I need to get ready to book on the 10th! ;-)

Congrats on your purchase, and enjoy those new points!!!

My point is that BCV and BWV both have their pros and cons as well. We all know what those pros and cons are even though people may assign them differently. If you would choose either of those two resorts despite the expiration dates, then those are the resorts for you. The expiration dates are a killer for us, so we have decided they are not for us. .

I had bought 75 pts at BWV 2 years ago at $105 per point. Honestly if I hadn't bought then, I would probably be considering a smaller contract at DRR. At close to $5 a point buy-in at BWV versus about $3.76 per point for DRR it really isn't a "bad price" - with the exception that we really don't know what is going to happen to the resale price. However, I am happy I did buy at BWV because I honestly adore the Boardwalk and not sure I would feel that way about Riviera.

LOL! But on the matter of distance from parks, I assume it will have direct boat service to MK as do the other resorts in that area. Still must bus to the other parks, right? So how does "distance from parks" significantly differ from WL/BRV/CCV?

Now on the matter of "really, really, close to a campground": snort. You've got me there. Laughing to the point of stitches. That hit really close to home. Thanks. 8-\

I am assuming that the Reflections DVC dock will share the dock with Fort Wilderness. Experience says the boat ride to FW is 5 minutes or so longer than VWL - so not a huge difference but it definitely will be a longer ride, and between the two resorts will be a lot bigger crowds wanting to transfer.

The buses at VWL typically either share with FW or or with Contemporary, and quite honestly when we stayed there our only time we thought the buses sucked. Fort Wilderness buses drop off outside Fort Wilderness and those folks have to take an extra bus. My opinion of transportation at VWL is that it is only a slight step above AKV because of the MK boat. I can't imagine the new resort will be better - only worse.

The "Really close to a campground"...YMMV!

I did talk to my sales person about this. They do not even know the split.

When they asked, they were told they want to walk the resort and "confirm" all the preferred views before making it final.

I guess, after BLT and some mishaps around which views were preferred, they want to confirm preferred views are truly "preferred" before making it official.

Their motivation appears to be avoiding complaints from members who pay for preferred views feeling their view was inferior.

I call BS - how can they not know which are which? Haven't they already determined how many points they are going to sell total? The only way to determine that is to know how many rooms are going to be standard and how many are preferred. That answer tells me "there won't be many standard views", but really the RIGHT way to do it would be to have limited number of "preferred" views. We'll see.

So what's going to be the next restriction? Because it's coming.

Resale restrictions are intended to boost direct sales. If this has boost direct sales than it could mean they won't need additional restrictions for a while.

Honestly to me it's more about location than anything. CCV was not a great location. Probably lots of people waiting on an Epcot resort.

I call BS - how can they not know which are which? Haven't they already determined how many points they are going to sell total? The only way to determine that is to know how many rooms are going to be standard and how many are preferred. That answer tells me "there won't be many standard views", but really the RIGHT way to do it would be to have limited number of "preferred" views. We'll see.
Yeah quick calculations show that the 25% standard and 75% preferred is likely exactly where this will end up. They will declared 6,739,966 for DRR, which is for 51 weeks, so for 52 weeks it would take 6,872,122 points

We know the following Room Totals
24 Tower Studios
38 Studios
29 1 Beds
148 + 90 2 Beds
12 GVs

We know to reserve for all of 2020 the following points are needed
Tower Studio -> 5,809
Standard Deluxe Studio -> 7,245
Preferred Deluxe Studio -> 8,808
Standard 1 Bedroom -> 15,019
Preferred 1 Bedroom -> 18,486
Standard 2 Bedroom -> 19,333
Preferred 2 Bedroom -> 23,372
GV -> 47,947

So assigning 25% of the Studios, 1 Bedrooms, and 2 Bedrooms to Standard and 75% to preferred we get the total points to book the hotel for the year to be 6,867,809.25, pretty much on the nose. Though this did assume that Deluxe Studio, 1 Bedroom, and 2 Bedroom units will have the same amount allocated to Standard and Preferred Views.

If that guide is correct and they sold over $5m in the first week that's only on the low end 26,700 at $188 a point and 28,090 points at $178 a point. If you think a out it that's not very many points considering 1x 2 bdr has 23,372 annual points.

Yeah quick calculations show that the 25% standard and 75% preferred is likely exactly where this will end up. They will declared 6,739,966 for DRR, which is for 51 weeks, so for 52 weeks it would take 6,872,122 points

So looks like the 25/75 is pretty on point - too bad no one told the guides.

I personally have no reason to assume Disney is being deceptive or misleading with their answer.

I took their answer at face value. They want to confirm the preferred views are truly preferred before making the final numbers official.

I am sure the process will only affect a few rooms at most based on prior design assumptions (i.e. they are not making major changes to the overall point totals).

I am fine either way. I am just passing on what I was told.

I do remember some issues with BLT view classifications. I do believe they switched some of those room designations?

So, via some process, this has been done even later then pre-opening.

It appeared reasonable they might want to confirm some of these views before putting out the official numbers.

I think it depends on what you are looking for in a resort. BCV and BWV definitely still have the better location in relation to EP IMO. However, RR, theoretically, will have a better location for HS.
Not for me. I'd rather walk to DHS than rely on a gondola that is rumored to get shut down every time there's lightning in the area (i.e. every day in Aug just when we want to head back to the resort for a break!).

It's certainly all subjective.

I get why people would think DRR would be "the one" but I can't imagine why anyone would want "Reflections: A Lakeside Lodge". Like what's the mindset: "I was thinking of buying CCV, but I really wanted something similar that's further away from the parks and really, really, close to a campground."
LMAO Pete, thanks!

Not for me. I'd rather walk to DHS than rely on a gondola that is rumored to get shut down every time there's lightning in the area (i.e. every day in Aug just when we want to head back to the resort for a break!).

It's certainly all subjective.

I don't think the gondolas shutting down with lightning in the area is a rumor is it? I think people are just speculating that they will.

I don't think the gondolas shutting down with lightning in the area is a rumor is it? I think people are just speculating that they will.
Yeah it’s just speculation, I don’t see any reason for grounded system to be shut down very frequently. Since the CMs are under shelter also the ground operation wouldn’t be an issue either.

Yeah, my guide said last week they sold >$5M worth of Riviera. And that this week seems even stronger.

Hmm yeah I would think it would be higher. I believe Riviera has ~6.5 million points, so at $173 average after incentives that’s $1.125 billion worth of points (wowza). $10 million would be less than 1% of the points.

Correct. We don't know what the plan for gondola are. They shut down the pools and the boats when lightning is within 6 miles. We do not know what if anything will shut down the gondola. (Well, typically wind gusts above 50-60 mph will shut them down, but that's pretty rare even in Florida.)

I'm pretty new to this, but it's going to be a long term purchase for us that we're eventually going to give to our kids. At this point it just makes sense because we really like the look of the resort and wanted something in the Epcot area. Now it's all about how many points to buy.

Hmm yeah I would think it would be higher. I believe Riviera has ~6.5 million points, so at $173 average after incentives that’s $1.125 billion worth of points (wowza). $10 million would be less than 1% of the points.

You guys do realize Disney has a lot of guides?

If 22 guides did this, they would have sold 10% of the resort in the opening week.

That would be a wild wild success.

I have no idea if that happened but dismissing $5m from one guide as if it was the total they sold for the entire resort is a little strange.

The average guide does 3-4 presentation a day and they work in morning - afternoon - and evening shifts. They also have remote guides in various locations. This taken directly from their job postings.

This was just one person.

If they sold on average of 150 points per contract - which would be high to me - that means they closed over 170 contracts in a week. That is over 4 contracts an hour closed for every hour they worked.

I think it is strange people think that is “low”.

You guys must not sell for a living :-)

Wait - I read “they” and read them personally. You guys read “they” and thought they were referring to the entire team. Never mind :-)

You guys do realize Disney has a lot of guides?

If 22 guides did this, they would have sold 10% of the resort in the opening week.

That would be a wild wild success.

I have no idea if that happened but dismissing $5m from one guide as if it was the total they sold for the entire resort is a little strange.

The average guide does 3-4 presentation a day and they work in morning - afternoon - and evening shifts. They also have remote guides in various locations. This taken directly from their job postings.

This was just one person.

If they sold on average of 150 points per contract - which would be high to me - that means they closed over 170 contracts in a week. That is over 4 contracts an hour closed for every hour they worked.

I think it is strange people think that is “low”.

You guys must not sell for a living :-)
I read the initial post to mean DVC as a whole sold about $5M, not that individual guide. I could be wrong.

I read the initial post to mean DVC as a whole sold about $5M, not that individual guide. I could be wrong.

Yup - just caught that! Explains why people felt it was low! I agree - if it was the entire team.

Unless Disney publicly releases sale numbers about DRR (or they're leaked), I think the only way we'll have a clue how sales are going is by the pace of the price increases.

Unless Disney publicly releases sale numbers about DRR (or they're leaked), I think the only way we'll have a clue how sales are going is by the pace of the price increases.

The closings are public record, DVC News does a monthly sales report saying how many points were sold and what % of the resort remains. Only caveat is the information is a couple weeks stale as it can take a week or two for the recording to show up on the county comptroller site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter