POFQ or POR????

Dixiemom

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide which would be best for us. I like the smaller size of POFQ and their pool slide looks like lots of fun, but I am not sure. The kids will be 12 (or 13) and 8. I love the New Orleans aspect of POFQ but the mansion/water of POR are very appealing as well. Will most likely do the waterparks & more option so may only utilize the resort pool once or twice. May come down to the food. Thoughts? I'd love opinions, especially if you have stayed at both.

We've done both and loved both - but I think POR is our favourite. We felt there was more for us to do there (we rented the bikes, a boat, saw Yeehaw Bob).

We liked both food courts pretty much equally - although POFQ has the beignets, which I really liked.

I would be happy at either one :)

We love POFQ for the location and size. For food, we all prefer POR over POFQ. There are more food options and in our opinion, better ones. POFQ seemed to have more spicy food and less variety. POR seemed a bit larger and had more variety. When eating at the hotel, we would always go to POR for dinner and will in the future. The roast beef and blue cheese on ciabatta was one of their good sandwiches. :confused3

I've stayed at both, and you really can't go wrong either way. However, the pool slide at POFQ is more suited for kids under the age of 6. The slide is very small.

I do like the food court at POR better. It is much bigger and has a nicer selection. The pick your pasta section is awesome! You chose your pasta and sauce, and if you want meat in it or not. Yummy!

Totally agree, there's much more to do at POR. Bikes/surrey bikes, horse/carriage ride, yehaw bob, much longer pool slide for your kids.
We've done both and loved both - but I think POR is our favourite. We felt there was more for us to do there (we rented the bikes, a boat, saw Yeehaw Bob).

We liked both food courts pretty much equally - although POFQ has the beignets, which I really liked.

I would be happy at either one :)

Agree. POFQ poolslide is suitable for smaller children as the slide is much shorter. POR pool slide is awesome! Much longer. And i personally love the theme better.

I've stayed at both, and you really can't go wrong either way. However, the pool slide at POFQ is more suited for kids under the age of 6. The slide is very small.
I do like the food court at POR better. It is much bigger and has a nicer selection. The pick your pasta section is awesome! You chose your pasta and sauce, and if you want meat in it or not. Yummy!

Totally agree about the pasta. LOVE IT! Its great picking your own stuff. So yummy! I personally think the POFQ food court is lacking. POR has far more options.

In terms of grounds, I think the theme and grounds are much prettier at POR. Its gorgeous. And i love the mansions. So beautiful. i'd recommend POR.

As for the size, i honestly didnt find POR that big.

Dont forget that the boat to DTD stops at POR first (pickup and drop off). Many times when stopping at POFQ the driver would only pick up 2 or 3 passengers then leave the rest because the boat was too full. So those poor souls had to wait even longer for another boat to come. That sucks! It pays to be at POR, youre the first one to board the boat!

I loved them both, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick POFQ simply because it's smaller & less chaotic.

I just returned from my first stay at POR. Previously, I've stayed at POFQ about seven times. I prefer POFQ. I like the smaller size and the New Orleans themed courtyards with the fountains. POR definitely has the better food court and has a larger pool with longer slide. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

cori1124 said:
I loved them both, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick POFQ simply because it's smaller & less chaotic.

See, everyone is different. It all depends what you and your family like. I personally dont like the fact that POFQ is so small. There's far more to do at POR. That's why I prefer bigger resorts. To each their own.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

We have also done both, but love - LOVE - POR. The pool area is fantastic, along with the magnificent grounds around the mansions. You are free to go to the French Quarter pool as much as you like when you stay at POR.

If you do decide to go with POR, ask for a room in the mansions. We have stayed in the "upgraded" bayou room and it was very unpleasant. My tip: Fax in your special request the day before you arrive. Be sweet and courteous and tell them you know special requests (floor, building number, etc.) can't be guaranteed...I have never once not gotten what I requested :)

As the others have said, POR has so much more. I surprised my boyfriend with a carriage ride there and took along a bottle of wine and two plastic wine cups - made him cry! And the passers by loved it!

The begnits at the FQ are not to be missed though. :hyper: A short walk and they are all yours!

Whatever you decide, have a great time!:thumbsup2

Thanks everyone! I am now leaning toward POR I think. I had intended to request the mansion section. Anyone have better pics of the pool slide there? I can only find pics of where it comes out at the bottom into the pool, but can't find any of a fuller view (if there is one).

Thanks again for all the tips and experiences, I appreciate it!

We prefer POR. It's much larger which we liked, because it never felt crowded. They have multiple quiet pools which were never busy and we never had a wait in the food court during the morning. There were also four bus stops so one didn't get overly busy. We visited POFQ that trip, and had to eat breakfast in the lounge due to lack of seating and we found the bus stop to be pretty crowded.

We favor POR because the foliage & setting are absolutely beautiful. The food court is outstanding, FQ's is very small. There are pools all over at POR, only one at FQ.

The two resorts are both very clean & extremely well run. The management of both should be proud.

Did you realize that if you stay at either one - you are permitted to use the pools & food court of the other. It is only about a 10 minute walk between the two. It's also a pleasant walk along the river.

POR is our personal favorite - especially the AB section. It just feels good there. The foliage & the 2 story buildings feel very welcoming to us. The new furniture is really adorable. It all looks like shipping crates. It is so squeaky clean - and the personnel who work there are outstandingly pleasant.

Enjoy your vacation - no matter which one you choose. :goodvibes

I knew you could use the food court as when we stayed at Pop we ate at AoA's (and loved it by the way :)), but I wasn't aware you could use the other resort's pool (POR/POFQ). Good to know!

POR and POFQ are sister resorts, so you can pool hop between those two resorts. We prefer POFQ, the grounds are beautiful, and everything is very close. I am not sure when you are going to POR, but I believe sometime next year their pool is going to close for refurbishment. You may want to check on that before you book your room.

Thanks for the possible pool closing heads up! Planning on going in the summer so I will check first for sure!

We enjoy both, but we favor POFQ. We love the small size of the resort! You are able to walk anywhere within 5-10 minutes, all buildings are close to the main building/food court, and there's only ONE bus stop as opposed to multiple ones!!!

Totally agree, there's much more to do at POR. Bikes/surrey bikes, horse/carriage ride, yehaw bob, much longer pool slide for your kids.

Agree. POFQ poolslide is suitable for smaller children as the slide is much shorter. POR pool slide is awesome! Much longer. And i personally love the theme better.

Totally agree about the pasta. LOVE IT! Its great picking your own stuff. So yummy! I personally think the POFQ food court is lacking. POR has far more options.

In terms of grounds, I think the theme and grounds are much prettier at POR. Its gorgeous. And i love the mansions. So beautiful. i'd recommend POR.

As for the size, i honestly didnt find POR that big.

Dont forget that the boat to DTD stops at POR first (pickup and drop off). Many times when stopping at POFQ the driver would only pick up 2 or 3 passengers then leave the rest because the boat was too full. So those poor souls had to wait even longer for another boat to come. That sucks! It pays to be at POR, youre the first one to board the boat!

Hello there! ITA with this PP. We have stayed at both and while the resort and pool was good for my kids when they were littler, they have very much "outgrown" POFQ.

My boys are 10 and 8 now and for the last two visits, it has been POR all the way! They LOVE it.....from Yeehaw Bob to the arcade to the make your own pasta to the fishing hole and most of all Old Man Island!

If you are worried about the size just make a request to be close to Old Man Island and you will be close to everything.

Have fun:wave2:

From my recent mini-review of POFQ...

POFQ vs POR

We stayed at POR last time (2 years ago) - the resorts are obviously quite similar and share some facilities. Overall I think I prefer POFQ for a few reasons:
(i) the buses - the buses from the Parks are often shared between the two resorts and last time we often went to POFQ first and then around all the POR bus stops! This time we were the other way around - every time except once we went to POFQ first - no messing and much quicker. Also, in the morning, we either had a bus just for POFQ or had one that had already picked up from POR and then came to our resort and then straight to the Park. We only once waited more than about 10 mins for a bus (about 30 mins for AK) at both ends of the day!
(ii) I slightly preferred the theming at POFQ but not a lot in it (personal choice - they are both very nice)
(iii) A more compact resort - everything in easy reach
The food court at POR probably edges it although I was pleasantly surprised at POFQ which had some items that POR didn't

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter