Pls explain some of your food to an ignorant foreigner :o)

Most importantly :laughing:, when you are in the USA do not ask where the "toilet" is. That will get you some strange looks from Americans. First choice would be to ask for a "restroom". If you are in someone's home you would ask for the "bathroom". If you asked for a "bathroom" at DLR that would be OK and everyone would know what you mean and there would be no strange looks. Sometimes you hear it called a "wash room" but I think that is more of a Canadian term. But a toilet? Well , there are toilets in the restrooms of course. But it would sound a bit vulgar to American ears to hear that you wanted the toilet. And most Americans would not know that British and Aussies use a different term at home.

I had some fun with my DS13 when he and I went to South Africa in 2007. I went for business and then the two of us went on a safari for five days. The safari checklist told us to bring a "torch". I knew what they meant based on previous experiences. Americans would call a torch a "flashlight". A torch to Americans is something you would see in adventure movies where there is a long stick with some cloth at the end lit on fire. The fire that the Olympics send around the world before the Olympic games is carried by people holding the "Olympic torch".

Since we were going to Africa and on an adventure it made sense to my DS13 that an American torch with fire was a plausible thing we might need. He was just trying to figure out where we could get one and how we would fit it in our suitcase. :laughing: I let the confusion sink in before I told him they wanted us to bring "flashlights".

..and at the store where I have my second job, shagging is putting away returned rental movies.....

This is a great post....my son commented on the soda thing when we were in california last....in bc canada, and i believe across canada, we call it pop...soda is a term we never use...when we were there last time, my husband requested gravy with his fries, and the waitress had NO idea what he wanted :laughing:...we tried at many restaurants, and one gave us some, but no one at our table would touch the "gravy" we were given...is gravy a canadian thing???....he wanted "turkey gravy or roast beef gravy"...he tried in seattle and then again in many restaurants around DL with no luck....
sharon

First I am going to stand up for the Candy Corn!!!! I love the stuff!! I don't like marzipan at all but Candy corn yummy!! They can taste different based on brand but the best stuff has a more honey flavor then sugar flavor. Yeah for candy corn in fall!!

Soft Pretzels are actually German, and very popular there, and at events here in the states. They are so yummy and good!

I have to say that using the term toliet isn't that rude, but it is something you don't hear as often since it is considered "a bit too much information". Americans like to pretend we don't have bodily functions or at least don't mention we do. Instead we are resting in the Restroom or Washing in the Bathroom/Wash Room.:rotfl:

I am a native Valley Girl/So Cal girl, I usually say Coke or Soda, Pop is really rare to hear from some one here. I also want to add while I don't surf I do love the ocean and cold or not I do go in the ocean because I am crazy like that hahah!

I'm from Oregon/Washington and I say both soda and pop, and sometimes soda-pop. It's funny thou because when I say just soda, it comes out like they talk in Fargo.

First I am going to stand up for the Candy Corn!!!! I love the stuff!! I don't like marzipan at all but Candy corn yummy!! They can taste different based on brand but the best stuff has a more honey flavor then sugar flavor. Yeah for candy corn in fall!!

Soft Pretzels are actually German, and very popular there, and at events here in the states. They are so yummy and good!

I have to say that using the term toliet isn't that rude, but it is something you don't hear as often since it is considered "a bit too much information". Americans like to pretend we don't have bodily functions or at least don't mention we do. Instead we are resting in the Restroom or Washing in the Bathroom/Wash Room.:rotfl:

I am a native Valley Girl/So Cal girl, I usually say Coke or Soda, Pop is really rare to hear from some one here. I also want to add while I don't surf I do love the ocean and cold or not I do go in the ocean because I am crazy like that hahah!

Okay fairycat, I have to ask. As a native Southern Californian, do you say "pin" when you mean "pen"? I have to test my theory that it's a socal thing! Of course, I'm not sure if someone who does that would realize it or not. :laughing:

Also, about the term toilet and using it to mean bathroom or restroom. Just curious what one would say if you weren't actually going to use the toilet but just wanted to go wash your hands or something. Would you still say you were going to the toilet? :confused3

Okay fairycat, I have to ask. As a native Southern Californian, do you say "pin" when you mean "pen"? I have to test my theory that it's a socal thing! Of course, I'm not sure if someone who does that would realize it or not. :laughing:

Also, about the term toilet and using it to mean bathroom or restroom. Just curious what one would say if you weren't actually going to use the toilet but just wanted to go wash your hands or something. Would you still say you were going to the toilet? :confused3

A pin is like a button or a safety pin, it sticks into something. A Pen is something you write with. They sound different to me when I say them.

In England they all just said toliet, I got very into the habit while there. But I imagine that much like us they would say I have to go wash my hands and not use the common terms for "toliets".

And if anyone is curious yes I do say Like, Dude, and some other stupid stuff. But I am old school Valley Girl not like these OC morons. :lmao:

I was born in SoCal and lived there for my first 28 years, and I definitely call it a "pen".

The Aussies can confirm, but in the UK and in South Africa the sign above the door of the restrooms reads "Toilets". So there you can ask for the toilet even if you just need to wash your hands.

We have had some terminology fun lately at my house. My DS17 has a girlfriend whose mother is Australian and father American. Their kids including the girlfriend were born in the USA, moved to Australia for six years during grade school years, and now back to the USA for the last seven years. We have been socializing with her parents a bit over the last two months. The mother really, really likes her "vegemite". She was quite upset when trying to get it through security at the airport on a recent trip and they took it from her.

I was born in SoCal and lived there for my first 28 years, and I definitely call it a "pen".

Or do you just think you do. ;)

The Aussies can confirm, but in the UK and in South Africa the sign above the door of the restrooms reads "Toilets". So there you can ask for the toilet even if you just need to wash your hands.

Thanks for that clarification. :laughing:

A pin is like a button or a safety pin, it sticks into something. A Pen is something you write with. They sound different to me when I say them.

In England they all just said toliet, I got very into the habit while there. But I imagine that much like us they would say I have to go wash my hands and not use the common terms for "toliets".

And if anyone is curious yes I do say Like, Dude, and some other stupid stuff. But I am old school Valley Girl not like these OC morons. :lmao:

Okay, glad to hear you say "pen" the right way. Just checking. ;)

Most importantly :laughing:, when you are in the USA do not ask where the "toilet" is. That will get you some strange looks from Americans. First choice would be to ask for a "restroom". If you are in someone's home you would ask for the "bathroom". If you asked for a "bathroom" at DLR that would be OK and everyone would know what you mean and there would be no strange looks. Sometimes you hear it called a "wash room" but I think that is more of a Canadian term. But a toilet? Well , there are toilets in the restrooms of course. But it would sound a bit vulgar to American ears to hear that you wanted the toilet. And most Americans would not know that British and Aussies use a different term at home.

I had some fun with my DS13 when he and I went to South Africa in 2007. I went for business and then the two of us went on a safari for five days. The safari checklist told us to bring a "torch". I knew what they meant based on previous experiences. Americans would call a torch a "flashlight". A torch to Americans is something you would see in adventure movies where there is a long stick with some cloth at the end lit on fire. The fire that the Olympics send around the world before the Olympic games is carried by people holding the "Olympic torch".

Since we were going to Africa and on an adventure it made sense to my DS13 that an American torch with fire was a plausible thing we might need. He was just trying to figure out where we could get one and how we would fit it in our suitcase. :laughing: I let the confusion sink in before I told him they wanted us to bring "flashlights".

Oh dear, now you have me totally stressed about how to ask for toilet. I hope I can remember to say bathroom and I better drill my kids too so they get it into their heads. I would hate to say toilet and have someone look at me like I was mad :rotfl2:

If you say it in a cute Australian accent, I think you're forgiven ;)

But yeah..toilet is sorta 'crude' here? Of course, my kids (bless them) still say "i need to pee". I'm trying hard to remove that one LOL

Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
..and at the store where I have my second job, shagging is putting away returned rental movies.....

Shagging in public would see you in gaol in Australia!
Today 02:52 PM

As would rooting at a sports match!! :lmao:

This is a great post....my son commented on the soda thing when we were in california last....in bc canada, and i believe across canada, we call it pop...soda is a term we never use...when we were there last time, my husband requested gravy with his fries, and the waitress had NO idea what he wanted :laughing:...we tried at many restaurants, and one gave us some, but no one at our table would touch the "gravy" we were given...is gravy a canadian thing???....he wanted "turkey gravy or roast beef gravy"...he tried in seattle and then again in many restaurants around DL with no luck....
sharon

It's funny that you should mention this. I had a Canadian friend and she once told me about a Canadian side dish that was french fries topped with gravy and some kind of cheese. I remember thinking that it sounded very strange, but only because I have lived in California all my life and we don't have anything like that, at least in this region of California. I think it is maybe something exclusive to Canada. We do have many types of gravy here in the U.S.; however, it is mainly used on top of mashed potatoes, poultry or beef. I absolutely love home-made mashed potatoes and baked chicken with chicken gravy. :love:

I'm not sure what type of restaurants you attended so I cannot comment about them, but most sit-down restaurants should have some type of gravy on hand, although it may be different from your gravy since no one at your table would try it. I would assume that the only fast food restaurants that would carry gravy would be restaurants that serve mass amounts of chicken because it's their specialty (KFC or Popeye's).

It's funny that you should mention this. I had a Canadian friend and she once told me about a Canadian side dish that was french fries topped with gravy and some kind of cheese. I remember thinking that it sounded very strange, but only because I have lived in California all my life and we don't have anything like that, at least in this region of California. I think it is maybe something exclusive to Canada. We do have many types of gravy here in the U.S.; however, it is mainly used on top of mashed potatoes, poultry or beef. I absolutely love home-made mashed potatoes and baked chicken with chicken gravy. :love:

I'm not sure what type of restaurants you attended so I cannot comment about them, but most sit-down restaurants should have some type of gravy on hand, although it may be different from your gravy since no one at your table would try it. I would assume that the only fast food restaurants that would carry gravy would be restaurants that serve mass amounts of chicken because it's their specialty (KFC or Popeye's).

Oh my goodness, I just LOVE poutine! The fast food restaurants serve it here in Canada (KFC, A&W, New York Fries) and our local Costco as well. It is so awesome, you can make it at home, too. You just cut up mozza into cubes, and throw it over fries with gravy, and melt the cheese in the microwave for around 30 seconds. Not as good as real poutine, but it does the trick. Our Burger King here also makes poutine, but they seem to have a bit of ketchup added to it, which is fine if it's just gravy and fries, but not so good on poutine. The gravy does need to be fairly thick for poutine.

Here's a nice link describing poutine... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Edited to add:

Was it tea biscuits or crumpets that someone on the board was trying to think of when they had another name in mind for something like a scone?

I would say that Dr. Pepper tastes a bit like cherry licorice mixed with coke and rootbeer, only without the 'caramel' flavoring from the coke. That's the best description I can come up with. Our son can't drink caffeine, and they don't make a caffeine free Dr. Pepper, so we have mixed grenadine in with coke or rootbeer for a similar effect.

I felt like an idiot trying to order 'pop' at McDonalds, (the cashier stopped and stared) and try hard to remember to call it soda when I'm in the DL area.

My family does use the word 'washroom' instead of restroom. I guess I'll try calling it a restroom when we're there.

Well after reading this entire thread im finding it quite humerous how confused everyones gotten each other based on differences in food state to state:rotfl2:

Anyway heres my two cents, I work in a coffee shop and the scones we sell are a sweetened bread that is baked. We have different styles such as blueberry, rasberry, chocolate chip, ect. and they generally have sugar sprinkled on top. We sell a maple scone with icing, but other then that all of our scones are just topped with sugar. The only time I've ever encountered a fried scone was on a road trip through Utah where I would call what I got fry bread back in AZ. haha, I hope I didnt make it more confusing

My family is South African, so I know where you are coming from in terms of language confusion.

Bathroom, Washroom or Restroom is better than asking for toilets, but with the accent people will probably forgive you.

As for the Soda v. Pop thing - my husband and I literally come from 45 minutes apart in the state of Illinois, and I say Soda and he says Pop. Apparently, there's a wikipedia article about someone who tracked who says what. Fascinating.

I would say biscuits in America are most closely related to scones...just maybe not as sweet as Australian ones. Cookies are Australian biscuits. Try candy corn just for the cultural experience. And definitely, definitely try soft pretzels. YUMMMMMMMM!!!

Dr. Pepper tastes like cough syrup. Seriously. YUCK. Try it though - another cultural experience. Definitely American!!

Enjoy your trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter