Please think twice about flying United

For the record, ALL airlines break guitars. All shipping companies do too. United just sucks about being helpful to their customers when anything bad happens to them, even by the low standards sometimes set by their competition.

I'm in the unpopular minority's here who think that whilst united could have handled it better, two things are true:

1) No United employee is guilty of physical abuse. It was not a United employee who removed the gentleman.

2) they didn't just walk on to the plane and beat him for no reason. The first video that was published shows 1 minute of a 30+ minute confrontation. Another video has since surfaced of the passenger getting more aggressive with those trying to remove him, telling the law enforcement he is not moving, and they'll have to drag him if they want him removed. I could be annoyed and feeling picked on, but I'd never talk to law enforcement like that. That is asking for trouble.

United will survive this- give it a couple of days and a new fiasco will have everyone's attention, and for many people worldwide United will continue to be the ONLY choice if you want to get from A to B. Their share price has fallen slightly, but was at an all time high anyway, can't stay up there forever.

I know my local International airport only has 1 direct flight to NYC, and I'll be flying United next time I visit. I'm not alone.

For the record, ALL airlines break guitars. All shipping companies do too. United just sucks about being helpful to their customers when anything bad happens to them, even by the low standards sometimes set by their competition.

I don't disagree ... but considering the bad press the guitar incident created back then, you would think they would have learned something.

I had a bad experience with United last year. It was for a late flight, (around 9pm). The flight was delayed because of bad weather where our plane was coming from. Ok. That happens. They told us about an hour later that the plane was on it's way. (yay!) Then that it would be yet another hour. (less yay) They kept giving us updates, when the plane would arrive at our airport, (this kept changing) when our flight would be departing, etc. However, just after the plane finally landed, they told us that the flight was cancelled because the flight crew were over their hours of flight time. Ummm... didn't they already know that the arriving crew wouldn't be able to fly out again then? Why keep everyone thinking that they would be flying that night? :crazy2:

A lady came out who was rather defensive from the get go, and told everyone that, if enough people agreed, they would hire a bus to take us to our destination, (a six hour drive vs. a 45 minute flight), and that that was going to be the best deal we were going to get. She would not answer anyone's questions was rather abrupt and snippy. When people were hesitant, wanting to know if another flight would be available, or if they would be compensated, she got downright rude, telling us that she wasn't going to answer any questions and telling us again, that this was the best offer we were going to get. Finally, enough people agreed to take the bus. THEN they chartered the bus, which took a couple of hours to arrive because the bus company had to find a driver on short notice. Mind you, had they told us up front about the cancellation, a bus could have been on it's way much earlier. As it was we ended up getting to our destination at least 9 hours later than planned. :mad:
I filed a claim with Untied for compensation, as they are supposed to refund the difference in price between a flight and alternative transportation provided. I recall getting about $30 back. There is no way that my flight only cost $30 more than a bus ticket, not to mention the time and aggravation encountered. Their customer service is really sub par.
Even before this latest incident, I was never going to fly United again!

I believe the passenger has to share and own some of the responsibility in this case. It seems he is a real nudnik.

First, when you purchase an airline ticket, you enter into an agreement. Most don't bother to read the agreement or pay attention to it during the purchase process, but they are consenting to it nonetheless. Airlines have the ability to cancel or change your ticket for a number of reasons ranging from natural disasters to mechanical issues to overbooking. Inconvenient? Yes. Unfair? No. They tell you upfront.

Second, when confronted with danger, whether justified or not, I generally choose to get out of harm's way. This nudnik on the United flight decided to resist and paid the price. It's like how they tell bank tellers to just hand over the money during a robbery rather than risk getting hurt or killed. Even though the robbers are the ones in the wrong, it's best to let the police work it out later. Likewise, this nudnik should have worried about the moral and ethical issues a little later. Believe me, he is hardly the first person to ever get bumped from a flight.

Now, sure, I'm certain there will be some who think the opposite - that we must be brave and resist when confronted with injustice. Stand your ground, they'll say. This is how to bring about change. ... But I'll have to simply disagree. We are not talking about Tiananmen Square or Rosa Parks here. In this case, we are talking about a guy who got bumped from a flight - a possible outcome as outlined in his ticket purchase agreement.

United and the responding authorities also share in the blame for this terrible incident. They could have handled it much differently. But I don't let this guy off the hook entirely.

I'm in the unpopular minority's here who think that whilst united could have handled it better, two things are true:

1) No United employee is guilty of physical abuse. It was not a United employee who removed the gentleman.

2) they didn't just walk on to the plane and beat him for no reason. The first video that was published shows 1 minute of a 30+ minute confrontation. Another video has since surfaced of the passenger getting more aggressive with those trying to remove him, telling the law enforcement he is not moving, and they'll have to drag him if they want him removed. I could be annoyed and feeling picked on, but I'd never talk to law enforcement like that. That is asking for trouble.

United will survive this- give it a couple of days and a new fiasco will have everyone's attention, and for many people worldwide United will continue to be the ONLY choice if you want to get from A to B. Their share price has fallen slightly, but was at an all time high anyway, can't stay up there forever.

I know my local International airport only has 1 direct flight to NYC, and I'll be flying United next time I visit. I'm not alone.

RE: No United employee is guilty of physical abuse.

It was United's plane. It was United's fault in putting the passengers on the plane, then deciding that they now wanted to bump 4 of them.
It was United employees who summoned the authorities who physically and emotionally assaulted that passenger. United employees wanted to remove that gentleman. They're the ones who made the mistake and now they have to live with the consequences.

RE: United will survive this

Just like all of the other horribly run companies that embarrass themselves and regret the bad publicity.

Two things came out of this terrible situation for me:

1) I'll never fly United. Ever.

2) I'll never fly into O'Hare again. Terrible experience the first time. Never again.

I'm so happy that people on the plane had the good sense to record what went on and I'm so happy that the videos went viral.

You don't treat another human being like that.

I believe the passenger has to share and own some of the responsibility in this case. It seems he is a real nudnik.

First, when you purchase an airline ticket, you enter into an agreement. Most don't bother to read the agreement or pay attention to it during the purchase process, but they are consenting to it nonetheless. Airlines have the ability to cancel or change your ticket for a number of reasons ranging from natural disasters to mechanical issues to overbooking. Inconvenient? Yes. Unfair? No. They tell you upfront.

Second, when confronted with danger, whether justified or not, I generally choose to get out of harm's way. This nudnik on the United flight decided to resist and paid the price. It's like how they tell bank tellers to just hand over the money during a robbery rather than risk getting hurt or killed. Even though the robbers are the ones in the wrong, it's best to let the police work it out later. Likewise, this nudnik should have worried about the moral and ethical issues a little later. Believe me, he is hardly the first person to ever get bumped from a flight.

Now, sure, I'm certain there will be some who think the opposite - that we must be brave and resist when confronted with injustice. Stand your ground, they'll say. This is how to bring about change. ... But I'll have to simply disagree. We are not talking about Tiananmen Square or Rosa Parks here. In this case, we are talking about a guy who got bumped from a flight - a possible outcome as outlined in his ticket purchase agreement.

United and the responding authorities also share in the blame for this terrible incident. They could have handled it much differently. But I don't let this guy off the hook entirely.

United knew that 4 employees were going to be put on that flight. United should have not allowed 4 customers to board and this should have been dealt with in the terminal. That's mistake number 1.

I don't disagree ... but considering the bad press the guitar incident created back then, you would think they would have learned something.
A long running theme with United ... not learning from their mistakes, even the most public.

They certainly shouldn't have beaten him at all! There is no reason to bloody a paying passenger as you drag them off of the aircraft!! No excuse for it at all!! His being a jerk about it does not make it ok to physically harm him!

Imho, this was all caused because United was too cheap to offer compensation that would get people to agree to be bumped. I'm glad they are losing buckets of money and look like idiots. They deserve to.

Crybaby?

He's 69 years old and has a concussion, a broken nose and lost his two front teeth.
Just my opinion Kevin... i said they were wrong by putting their hands on him.. my thing is this Kevin... why didnt he just comply like the other 3? He had to know he wasnt going to win that fight

He is going to get a big payday for this and Im ok with that....But they repeatedly said that he was the 4th passenger that would have to be bumped. Just comply dude

Just my opinion Kevin... i said they were wrong by putting their hands on him.. my thing is this Kevin... why didnt he just comply like the other 3? He had to know he wasnt going to win that fight

He is going to get a big payday for this and Im ok with that....But they repeatedly said that he was the 4th passenger that would have to be bumped. Just comply dude

I'm glad you are okay with him getting a huge settlement because I'm pretty sure this is where it's headed

He's 69 year old DR who had patients scheduled for the next day and the next flight he was offered was at 2:30pm the next day. i applause his integrity.

I'm guessing he did not expect his non-complaice to end in a hospital stay and facial surgery.

I understand that these are just your opinions but I disagree with them completely.,,,especially your use of the word "crybaby".

Had the airline upped their compensation offer, someone would have agreed to wait for the next flight

By not doing that they have suffered a huge loss in market value and lost customers because of it. They are dealing with publicity nightmare that there CEO has had to publicly apologize for three times....and another couple hundred bucks probably would have solved it.

I'm guessing that wish they would have just offered him or someone else more money.

United lost the moral high ground when they broke his nose and knocked his teeth out.

If United has a cheap enough flight then Ill still book. One crybaby that wouldnt comply with their orders wont deter me!!(shouldnt have put their hands on him though)
There is no legal rule that you have to be bumped. You have every right to say no. You booked the flight, He had every right to say no

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter