Please tell me we will like Pop Century share the good and bad

shelby2001

<font color=99CC99>Always thought "I'm a Believer"
Having mostly stayed at Deluxes and a few times at French Quarter will we like Pop Century? Given my DD starts college Sept 1st and well living here in the Northeast with State Universities and private schools being ridiculously priced it was either stay value or don't go at all. The girls are really looking forward to Pop Century but DH and I are a little nervous. Can anyone share their experiences both good and bad and what not to miss at the hotel? Thanks all.

Having mostly stayed at Deluxes and a few times at French Quarter will we like Pop Century? Given my DD starts college Sept 1st and well living here in the Northeast with State Universities and private schools being ridiculously priced it was either stay value or don't go at all. The girls are really looking forward to Pop Century but DH and I are a little nervous. Can anyone share their experiences both good and bad and what not to miss at the hotel? Thanks all.

We have stayed in a few deluxes but also stayed POP back in 2009. We had a great stay at POP! :goodvibes

I liked the food court, the dedicated buses, the theming. It was clean and everyone was so friendly.

POP is actually getting ready to become the only Disney resort I've stayed in twice when I check in in Sept! I am going for a girls only food and wine and Halloween party trip, so could not justify spending more money for a mod or deluxe since we won't be in our room much at all. Our F&W trip is only 6 days, so we've gotta cram a lot in, in a short period of time. :crazy2:

Pop is a FUN, colorful, DISNEY-fied resort! :goodvibes My daughter loves it and considers it "home". We've stayed there three times and will be back in February.

I think it's about how you view your resort. I stayed at AKL with my husband and was IN LOVE and honestly no other resort seems to hold a candle to it (for me) but that's b/c I loved the music, theming, and relaxing atmosphere. When I go to Pop, I just don't expect that same atmosphere b/c it's a different kind of resort. It's colorful and fun... not relaxing and beautifully landscaped. It's just a matter of how you look at it (if that makes sense). It's clean and well run just like all the Disney resorts, just don't expect Deluxe and you'll be fine!

We mostly stay at deluxes and a few stays at French Quarter too. If we need 1 cheap night for an early/late flight we have stayed at Pop a few times. I like it because it's on site and nothing beats that feeling. 2 adults and 2 teens though it will feel crowded in the room no doubt and the beds are doubles. I'd try and go with a low amount of luggage to help the room feel more spacious. I'm somewhat sensitive to noise and chaos and Pop does give me that not very relaxed feeling; if you have anyone that tends to feel like that having earbuds to play quiet calm music or ear plugs is nice. Staying above ground floor seems to help a bit with that esp top floor where there is no one above you and less people walking by. The food court is OK if you go during off hours but I frequently found the floors to be dirty and the drink station used for refilling items other than mugs which was unpleasant to observe. I don't mind the buses from the park back to Pop because it's the same as anywhere but I don't like the lining up at Pop in the sun in the rope lines, I much prefer the benches set up at the mods and deluxes but maybe you are driving?

I've always had the same thoughts too. Though i've never been to Disney World, I always try to stay in the..not so cheap hotels. However, staying 5 nights I can't afford anything above the Pop or AoA. So i'm hoping i wont be disappointed! Which i'm sure we wont be since it's Disney, and I don't intend to spend that much time at the resort!

Pop is awesome. We stay there every year. It a fun, clean resort. They have the best ice cream sundaes. Take some time to tour the shadow box wall in the lobby. They have all kinds of different toys and memorabilia from the different decades. It is a great walk down memory lane. :goodvibes

Quite honestly, if you go in with the attitude that you are going to be disappointed, you will be disappointed. I highly suggest you adopt your girls' view that it's going to be a wonderful trip.

One of the great things to do at Pop Century is share in the "old times" with your family. Walk along Memory Lane and look at all the things that happened from 1950-1999. There is a post for every single year with a significant event. I always kid my son that Wal-Mart opened up in his birth year. It's a nice time to reflect with your family on all the changes that have happened.

There are also shadowboxes in the lobby and it's a great thing to look at those with your family and say things like "I had one of those!" or "my mother had one of those!" or even "my grandmother had one of those!"

You can also talk about the icons and what they meant to that decade.

One trick to do is to go up high onto on the 50s' buildings and look down at the bowling pin pool. It's set up just like a bowling alley, complete with gutters but you can really only tell that from up high.

Look at the giant jukebox and read out the names of the records.

Check out the titles on the giant 8 tracks (if your kids even know what those are).

I think Pop Century is a great place to be to talk about family history and how each generation is so different from the next.

Thanks all I am just happy to be going to Disneyworld given the tuition bill that I just paid. Keep the ideas coming I really can't wait to see my favorite toy as a child the big wheel and share with my daughters how I used to be a wild women on it with the brake doing my 180's in the driveway.

I stay at the POP all the time. It's a value or nothing for me, and even then I have to go in the cheaper times.

Pop isn't bad-and some of the regular rooms are closer than the "preferred" rooms. The preferred rooms are the 60's and possibly the 70's, and they are around the Hippy Dippy pool and lead into the main lobby. Now, if you stay in the right part of the 80's, 90's or 50's, it's a straight shot to the bus stop in front and probably just as close to the bus stop.

Food court used to have a really neat "Mom's Night Out" which was like the TV dinners from the 50's, but they got rid of those :( But the food court isn't bad and the buses aren't bad. You don't have to share them like the All Stars.
The stops do tend to be the furthest away from the parks, though, but it's the only draw back I can think of.

We have stayed at all of the Moderates and the Values minus AOA. We are returning to Pop in 27 days for the 7th time. The price difference between the value and moderate is not a factor in our decision to stay at Pop, we just love Pop. I find the resort to be alive with Disney magic 24/7. Granted it is a bit noisy but I love that. The noise is usually kids having having the time of their lives. Living in NYC I kind of become immune to the noise. If the main pool is crowded we usually head over to one of the quiet ones. The food court can get busy however other than a breakfast or two during each trip we usually don't eat at the food court. Go there with an open mind and just relax and you will enjoy your stay.

Thanks all I am just happy to be going to Disneyworld given the tuition bill that I just paid. Keep the ideas coming I really can't wait to see my favorite toy as a child the big wheel and share with my daughters how I used to be a wild women on it with the brake doing my 180's in the driveway.

I hear you on the college tuition bill. We stayed at Pop two years ago when our daughter was a senior in high school and we weren't sure yet which college she would be attending and therefore didn't want to spend a lot on vacation. The resort is fun and the bus service was good. We found the rooms clean but plain and small. I would stay there again if that is what my budget required. We just paid our daughter's fall tuition bill and are staying at POR this time but there are only 3 of us because our college girl can't come.

I've stayed in fancy hotels all over the world, and we LOVED POP when we stayed there in 2010.

Know it's a value, embrace all the disney-ness, and appreciate that you are getting a good deal on an onsite room.

You are on vacation. If you go in with a good attitude it should be fine. I love taking walks around the lake. The last several times I stayed at POP it was fun watching AoA go from deserted Ledgendary years to AoA. Then last February we stayed at AoA. The bridge is connected so you can walk around there as well.

As we took more vacations we began downgrading our accommodations. We have so much fun we barely notice. You can choose another resort and go there for dinner. Just go with the idea it will be great and it will be. Just be prepared for the smaller room and beds.

We went as 2 adults last year and really enjoyed it. The resort isn't that big, for a value, I was highly impressed with the bus services (minus DTD which is less than stellar at every resort), and the food court isn't half bad! I didn't feel like it was overly crowded like the ASM resorts. You don't get the added benefit of covered bus stops, but I never felt like we really waited that long that I needed to be covered. We'd stay there again if we were looking to save money over a mod or deluxe in a heartbeat!

I agree with many of the other posters that Pop Century will largely be what you make it. If you expect all the amenities that you may be used to at a Deluxe, then you will be disappointed. Pop Century is usually a clean, no-frills place. That's the reality. If you are going to lounge around the resort, swim and relax at the pool all day and then eat at a great table service-- Pop Century isn't for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for a place to sleep well, shower and dress with good bus service to the parks where you will be spending most of your day, then it is. Remember that you probably are paying more for a day's entrance at one of the parks than you are for the room at Pop. But again, your attitude and expectations are what will make or break the trip. Constant comparisons to the moderates or deluxes that you have stayed at will just cause you to be disappointed. Go to Pop Century with diminished expectations and they probably will be met or exceeded. My wife and I always stay at Value resorts (usually Pop Century) because we don't understand spending lots of money at a resort that has amenities we wouldn't take full advantage of. It's all in your reasons for being at WDW and your touring philosophy.

We stayed at Pop 80's section a few years ago before joining DVC. The pool looked like a computer and my kids thought it was cute. The room was plain and on the small side, but clean. My only critique would be the food court was very chaotic.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We love Pop! We've stayed there 7 times once being for our 25th anniversary. :) Not once have we had a problem. It's a great resort and the theming is fun and bright. I love that it has only one bus stop. We also have no problem with the food court. I can't wait to go back!!!!!

POP is great!! I love POP! It has been my home away from home as I have spent 38 nights there this year alone! DD and I have stayed there together while she works in WDW. Yes, there aren't any frills, but it is clean, well run, and has some of the best bus service on property!! Up until the food court changes, I would say it had the best food court too. But they kind of ruined that when they changed the menu on 5/1/13...IMO. POP's occupancy has been running on the lower side, so the hotel hasn't been as crowded as previous years. We were able to book a room with one day's notice the week of July 4th!! That should not happen at a Disney Hotel!!! We booked a room on June 28th for the 29th to the 3rd... and we could've stayed longer if 'WE' wanted... but we couldn't. That is just crazy to get a room for that week at the last minute and with the CM discount!!!
As far as the food court being busy, in all of my stays, I really didn't ever encounter that this year. Quite often, one of the kiosks in the food court was even operating because the occupancy didn't warrant it. And often, some of the soda machines were closed off because the there wasn't a need to have that many operational.

I have found that the CMs there tend to be very friendly...they love doing their jobs. They have a lot of CMs who have been there for years! I hope you enjoy your stay there! I think if you go in with an open mind, understanding it's not a deluxe, you should be fine. Enjoy and have fun!! :thumbsup2

Another thing I thought of to do as a family (and you have to be a bit crazy to do it) is to find the Twister game (I think it's out by the 70s buildings?) and play a game. It's life sized and outdoors so you'll have an audience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter