• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please Please help, am I being scammed?

LOLA2

TINK<br><font color=9966ff> I never heard of not t
I decided to rent a 5 br ppol house in Windsor palms 4 1 week. The Price was $2,750 including security deposit. At first before I signed contract we were communicating all the time trough e-mail no problems. Every time I had a question she would answer it right away. I said several times that when I sent my payment in I would like a receipt. Well I signed contract and sent in all money, minus securit deposit. I emailed her a couple weeks later to make sure she got everything. No reply. I waited about 2 weeks and still nothing so I e-mailed again asking if she has been getting my e-mails and to please call me on my cell to confirm that she has. Well I ended up getting a phone call (messeage) on my cell stating she has received my e-mails and has responded to them. She said there must be something wrong with my e-mail.

Well about a month ago I sent security deposit along with note asking for a receipt that I was paid in full and asked how long before vacation I would get info packet. 2 weeks went by with no receipt and no response but check was cashed. So I e-mailed her again and told her to send me a receipt and to e-mail my husband (instead of me) that she got my message and to call and just confirm she got my e-mail.
Another week goes by and still no response. Of course I am feeling pretty nervous I just gave a ton of money to a stranger and now we are out of touch. I finally told my husband the other day and he said as far as he knows there is no way that I cannot get her e-mails and she is lying.
I do get all other e-mails as I usually do and I check every day, no one else has access or knows my password, and even If they did why would it be only her e-mails that I am not getting. I really don't know what to do at this point. Please give me you feedback. It is also weird that we had good communication up to the point that she received contract and and money, and then at that same time all communication fails. Please help!!!

I'm just wondering why you sent her the security deposit after she had already left you hanging regarding the other payment you made? Did you pay through paypal? If you did, I think you might be covered, I'm not sure though.

Seems a high price for a week to me so I hope you haven't been scammed .
Have you checked on the Osceola property appraisers site that the owners are who they say they are?
http://ira.property-appraiser.org/

you obviously know their name so it should be easy to find them .

There could be many reason the communication has broken down she maybe away herself.
If I can be of help just ask .

Well I pay for things when I have the money. I paid for security deposit because I just wanted it paid off since I had so many other things to save for. It seemed like a nice website see below and I originally saw her home on vr360. I would think these sights do backround checks, but I don't know.

http://www.dsnyhomes.com/

Hello, not sure I read correct, but did you send full amount BEFORE the security deposit? If so, how far ahead of the rental did you send the money?
Usually the payment is required somewhere around 3 months prior to rental.

Could you tell us which company or site you found the home. Does it have a web site...was it on a "by owner" site or through a company.

Windsor Hills is a very nice and high end area. The price you paid does sound a little high, however. Did you write a personal check to an individual or a company?

It has been very rare to hear of any reports of scams on rental homes. Some companies have been pretty shady, but the owners direct have been very dependable. I suppose it is inevitable that a smammer could build a web site, market a home, and then just take the money without having a home. I sincerely hope that is not the case with you.

Hopefully, it is just a lazier than most owner who is assuming you don't worry about these things because they don't and feel they have communicated with you regarding the sale, and once the money is in hand, just assume you are a satisfied customer.

Keep us posted as a board like this can really help expose problems if they exist or calm fears if it is just a communication issue...

Ted

I made out check directly to owner and sent in with contract.

Yes I apid full amount then I paid security deposit. I know I did it before I needed to, but I had the money and I wanted it to be paid so I could start paying off other componets of our vacation - cruise , tickets ect.

I am sorry it is Windsor Hills not Windsor Palms. I get comfused because she has house in both subdivisions.

Not sure why your emails would go unanswered except they may be on their own vacation.

I know when we are having fun when we are down I tell everyone I will be away and if they have anything I will get back to them when I get back.

They might have just forgot to let you know but if you would like to check here is the Osceola county tax office website.

http://ira.property-appraiser.org/
press I agree and then put in the name of the owners.

Hope all is well let us know how things turn out.

There were no matches when I typed in her name.

Hello again..

I can see why the price is a bit high...those are some fancy homes...looks like Pam markets at least 4 very high end homes...I am guessing she is not the owner but the manager. Even more reason to believe that communication may have slowed after cash in the bank...so the name of the owner may not be available to you, if she is manager, not owner.

...I would call that phone number over and over until I get her...I would tell her nicely that you have really been concerned and very worried. Tell her exactly why so she gets the message that just because she thinks everything is OK, YOU need to be communicated with...

I would be very very surprised if this is a scam...those homes look to me like they are the brainchild of one person who took decorating to the 9's...

By the way, the rates are exactly what you paid, so that is totally on the up and up.

again, call call call and let us know...Ted

Thanks, I will keep you up date.

that price seems quite high to me. I have rented several 4 bedroom pool homes with a few minutes drive to disney and the MOST I have ever paid was $1400 for a week....

I am sorry if I am worrying you but everytime I have ever been in contact with people who own their homes I have had no trouble in getting a response. And that includes when I have rented houses that had UK owners...

I hope everything goes well....

Lola
Does the owner live in TINLEY PARK , IL 60477 - if so I have found her on the county site .

JANNYANS said:
Lola
Does the owner live in TINLEY PARK , IL 60477 - if so I have found her on the county site .

Yes!!

Why I love these boards :goodvibes
Ya'll are a great help :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Hope everything is working out okay, Lola!:)

Let us know!!

:sunny:

Just curious, but I am wondering after looking at those pictures how much theft they have from people renting their houses and how do they keep track of things like all those toys and stuffed animals? I wonder if they keep an inventory and check it everytime the rental changes hands? Just a thought because I know I wouldn't want to be liable for all that stuff in those kids bedrooms and playrooms.

We have an inventory and a few things have been taken but for the most part I have had very good renters. One video game was gone and just the case was left. One game was cracked. Not to bad for almost 2 years.

I have a harder time with keeping my pool towels. I try to have cute ones for the kids and I am always missing one but in its place is a new one just not the ones I had in the closet. I can not say they are taken because they are always replaced with new ones.

It is down to trust momof 3 :) I have loads of toys , games and dressing up clothes for my yopunger guests and have not lost any -in fact my collection has grown.My biggest loss was a table lamp that was part of a set -it obviously got broken byt the management at the time didn't bother to report it to me so I had to replace the lot at my own expense.

I have had the odd towel go missing but nothing major .Renting out myself means I cna build upoa rappor with my guests before they visit .

Management Companies will check our homes for larger/more expensive items.But on the whole,it is alot of trust.But as others have said,I often return to the villa and find lots of goodies other guests have left behind.
Im sure you'll be fine - have a great holiday,
Lynn

Wow, everyone really did some great detective work! I want to everyone where I'm staying just so you can reasure me!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter