Please help me understand AP discounts

What are the usual room discounts with an AP? I am trying to justify to my DH about getting us AP's. I know the rooms aren't guaranteed but what offers have you seen? Also, how does morning EMH's work if you have an AP with a room only reservation? Do you show them your room key at the turnstiles and then use you AP to get in?

What are the usual room discounts with an AP? I am trying to justify to my DH about getting us AP's. I know the rooms aren't guaranteed but what offers have you seen? Also, how does morning EMH's work if you have an AP with a room only reservation? Do you show them your room key at the turnstiles and then use you AP to get in?

The room discounts are about 5% more than the special offer to everyone. However, the special offer to everyone has an end date - for example the fall special offer for everyone has this
Book by September 29, 2012—and take advantage of your last chance to save on October stays with this special offer!

For travel in November and December, book by October 31, 2012.
while the AP room discount is good until the end of the booking period as long as there are rooms at that rate available. In fact the AP late summer room only (for booking rooms thru Sept. 29) offer is still valid.
The fall AP room only offer came out the day after the general public special offer. I had booked an Oct. stay. When I saw the special offer for the general public, I called and got my rate lowered to that. The next day AP rates came out and I called again and got my rate lowered once again.
You're right about EMH. You show your room key and use your AP through the turnstyle.