Please explain DVC...camping only!

I wonder if the reason you are seeing so many RVs parked at the resorts could be because maybe they were unable to get all the days that they needed at the fort. They might be staying at resorts on the days that a campsite wasn't available and they will head back to the fort for the rest of their trip. I can't imagine anyone driving their RV to a DVC resort just to park it in the lot for their trip. I would think that they would just drive their car. Just a thought.

Bama Ed, I am exceedingly grateful for you taking the time to draft such an eloquent and replete response. It seems that the value for DVC is considerably greater than I have heard alluded to.

I wonder if the reason you are seeing so many RVs parked at the resorts could be because maybe they were unable to get all the days that they needed at the fort. They might be staying at resorts on the days that a campsite wasn't available and they will head back to the fort for the rest of their trip. I can't imagine anyone driving their RV to a DVC resort just to park it in the lot for their trip. I would think that they would just drive their car. Just a thought.

i mostly see RVs parked at value resorts, since their lots are so large. I always thought maybe they took what they could get anywhere on property and then moved in to the fort when they could, same as you said holly.

As donna said, I do have points and yes it has been brought up to dvc's attention about having a dvc loop or section. we both came from low income families, and had always dream of going to disney. Our summer vaction if we even got one was to six flags for the day. When Stacy got into the military we got discount tickets to go to WDW we were so excited! we stayed off park for the the first trip for 39.00 a night in 1992 and only took 1400.00 for the whole seven days, we had a ball. We liked it so much we wanted to go again but just couldn't until 1995 we stayed off park again, but I didn't like the bus system, they would only take you to the park during the moring or one trip in afternoon.

IN 1996 we went twice. Off Park. I hated it and in 1997 we stayed for the first time on park, I fell in love and we have stayed at several resorts and if you start going more than once a year it's worth it to get annual passes. We would go for summer and for Christmas.

We decided to camp one year when money was tight in 1999 in a tent and we fell in love with the fort and I could take my dog with us.We have stay at the fort most of the time.

We bought DVC to help us with our trips, because it's easier for us to have it taken out of the check before we see it. We stayed at the fort last christmas for three weeks on points and didn't have to pay it was already paid for. So to us it's basically our vactions is being paid for by the month.

When Stacy has to work or can't get off from work to haul the camper down there, Brittany and I stay at the DVC. Since we first started going we have been over sixty times as a family and 80 times for Brittany and I.We love our DVC. We are going at least 4 to five times a year and more sometimes just depends on whats going on at the time. Brittany will inherite this and has already decided she wants her wedding at disney so that will help with the cost as well, and I know where her senior trip will be also.

After you buy your 1st points you can add on in small increments and it's not so expensive. To me it's an investment in our disney future not anything else.

I also stayed the 1st -thru the 17th of Aug this year on my points and paid too at the campground. I get my preimum annual pass at a discount, and I get the dining experience from that for 75.00. and it gives me a discount on food and I also get a discount on merchindise.

This year alone we have go to disney in March and stayed a week in Dvc, we went in April and stayed a week at the fort and in May thru Aug we stayed at the fort on dvc points and cash and we go back in Dec 4-8th on cash and back home for a week and then back to disney Dec 14-Jan. 3rd. on cash.

2009 trips planned so far

All of March I will be there on Dvc/cash and in April AKL conciege for a week on DVC points( 315 points and this is a 8,000.00 trip on cash) so if I deduct my points from what I paid it's a 5,000.00difference or about that in saving's).

Oh my goodness I just realized how much time we spent at disney this year. ( 140 Days)

, DVC is okay. But personally, I have never seen the value no matter how much I chug the numbers.

I've looked into it too and it makes no sense for us either. Time share in general is a bad idea for most people. That being said, people who bought into DVC early made a killing.

My bank has stopped timeshare financing completely and is trying to exit the business. I know the person who runs it and his advice is, and has been for some time, to stay away from timeshares. A sign of the times.

Besides Jim, there's always AFVC. We had a great time a couple of weeks ago!

As donna said, I do have points and yes it has been brought up to dvc's attention about having a dvc loop or section. we both came from low income families, and had always dream of going to disney. Our summer vaction if we even got one was to six flags for the day. When Stacy got into the military we got discount tickets to go to WDW we were so excited! we stayed off park for the the first trip for 39.00 a night in 1992 and only took 1400.00 for the whole seven days, we had a ball. We liked it so much we wanted to go again but just couldn't until 1995 we stayed off park again, but I didn't like the bus system, they would only take you to the park during the moring or one trip in afternoon.

IN 1996 we went twice. Off Park. I hated it and in 1997 we stayed for the first time on park, I fell in love and we have stayed at several resorts and if you start going more than once a year it's worth it to get annual passes. We would go for summer and for Christmas.

We decided to camp one year when money was tight in 1999 in a tent and we fell in love with the fort and I could take my dog with us.We have stay at the fort most of the time.

We bought DVC to help us with our trips, because it's easier for us to have it taken out of the check before we see it. We stayed at the fort last christmas for three weeks on points and didn't have to pay it was already paid for. So to us it's basically our vactions is being paid for by the month.

When Stacy has to work or can't get off from work to haul the camper down there, Brittany and I stay at the DVC. Since we first started going we have been over sixty times as a family and 80 times for Brittany and I.We love our DVC. We are going at least 4 to five times a year and more sometimes just depends on whats going on at the time. Brittany will inherite this and has already decided she wants her wedding at disney so that will help with the cost as well, and I know where her senior trip will be also.

After you buy your 1st points you can add on in small increments and it's not so expensive. To me it's an investment in our disney future not anything else.

I also stayed the 1st -thru the 17th of Aug this year on my points and paid too at the campground. I get my preimum annual pass at a discount, and I get the dining experience from that for 75.00. and it gives me a discount on food and I also get a discount on merchindise.

This year alone we have go to disney in March and stayed a week in Dvc, we went in April and stayed a week at the fort and in May thru Aug we stayed at the fort on dvc points and cash and we go back in Dec 4-8th on cash and back home for a week and then back to disney Dec 14-Jan. 3rd. on cash.

2009 trips planned so far

All of March I will be there on Dvc/cash and in April AKL conciege for a week on DVC points( 315 points and this is a 8,000.00 trip on cash) so if I deduct my points from what I paid it's a 5,000.00difference or about that in saving's).

Oh my goodness I just realized how much time we spent at disney this year. ( 140 Days)

You're my IDOL! Hope to see you again at the fort some time in 2009!

It's unfortunate that people are still referring to DVC as timeshare. You have been grossly misinformed. DVC is quite flexible.

The bank that financed our RV stopped doing RV loans shortly after we purchased. Does that make RV's bad??????

It is very disappointing that some people just don't understand that everyone has different priorities. Just because it's not right for YOU doesn't make it not right for ME.

The criticism here has gone a little too far. I really have a bad taste now about our first trip to FW in a couple of weeks!

It's unfortunate that people are still referring to DVC as timeshare. You have been grossly misinformed. DVC is quite flexible.

The bank that financed our RV stopped doing RV loans shortly after we purchased. Does that make RV's bad??????

It is very disappointing that some people just don't understand that everyone has different priorities. Just because it's not right for YOU doesn't make it not right for ME.

The criticism here has gone a little too far. I really have a bad taste now about our first trip to FW in a couple of weeks!

i agree that DVC is definitely not your typical timeshare. From the no pressure sales team to its flexibility, it is very unique and is the creme de le creme of prepaid vacations (notice i didn't say timeshare, lol)

However, i don't see these posts as criticism at all! this is a thread full of people passionate about either their DVC purchase or reasons they do NOT purchase. This just shows you that you CAN have both and make it work. I compare it to a cell phone plan. Some people prefer the monthly plan every month which prepays their talk even before that phone rings and then there are others who prefer PAY AS YOU GO, it is cheaper for THEM and works for THEM.

I'm really sorry that some folks strongly held opinions have lowered your expectations. That is a shame and I hope you can get past it and be open to the experience. I think you will find that campers are some of the most accommodating and friendly people... in person. I think too often we forget how bombastic our words can be read when not accompanied by a snide smile and sparkling personality. Agreeing to disagree is more agreeable in person!

Similar emotions can arise when discussing "the best" option for RVing: motorhome, 5th wheel, or travel trailer. I love my motorhome and my next rv will almost certainly be another... with little consideration of the other options. A 5th wheel makes no financial sense to me. I've looked at it, crunched the numbers, and don't know why anybody would choose that route unless they often need to tow a bobcat or large horse trailer during the rest of the year. But people do, and insist that it makes better sense for them than a MoHo. I think they fail to comprehend the intangible benefits of traveling in a motorhome, that more than outweigh the negligible tangible disadvantages. (please don't flame me TT & 5er folks, I'm making a point and don't need further examples! All this was said with a snide smile and my personality sparkling! LOL)

Enjoy the Fort, I'm betting you'll be hooked!

Well, based on the information that I have gotten, I would say that the DVC is a FLEXIBLE timeshare that would not benefit me but obviously benefits some.

I don't see anyone else here confusing criticism with opinion.:confused3

I asked for many opinions and explanations and got them. Thank you to everyone that took the time to answer the questions on this thread.

Better lock this one up before I say my usual sweet remarks.:cloud9: Oh, I can't help it... If you don't like the campers or the Fort that will just leave room for those of us who do! Kinda like leaving the timeshares, I mean DVC for those that like them.!:thumbsup2

Happy Thanksgiving!:)

I am not opinionated, I am just right. Also, the only real vacation is a camping vacation, the only real camper is a hybrid, the only real dog is a beagle, the only real camping drink is a Kungaloosh, the only real alternative means of transportation is a motor scooter, and the only way to pronounce DIS is as in discount (see another thread). Anyone who doesn't agree with this is just wrong and needs to adjust their lifestyle in order to comply.

I am not opinionated, I am just right. Also, the only real vacation is a camping vacation, the only real camper is a hybrid, the only real dog is a beagle, the only real camping drink is a Kungaloosh, the only real alternative means of transportation is a motor scooter, and the only way to pronounce DIS is as in discount (see another thread). Anyone who doesn't agree with this is just wrong and needs to adjust their lifestyle in order to comply.

I agree with 3 of those, so am I half right? ;)

If I had a camper it would be a hybrid - love beagles - but love beer much more than kungaloosh. Is a bike a suitable alternative to a scooter?

Ok, I take back what I said before... some of us are quite aware of how bombastic our comments come across and relish in it! It's a lot easier to blow Jim off though seeing as to how he is wrong on every single point! LOL

1) Any trip that takes me away from my nightmare remodel for more than 3 days is a real vacation
2) "I" am a real camper, the rig just enables me to camp how I care too.
3) The only real dogs come from Athens, GA (PS, you misspelled it, dawg)
4) There are a great many real camping drinks, until Donnie gets ahold of the pitcher, at least, then they become alcohol-based floor cleaners
5) The best alternative means of transport is the one that offers the most options, and referring to the Fort's chart, bicycles can go everywhere!
6) The guy who coined the term DISboards (Pete) pronounces it DIZ (as in Disney - which I am sure you don't pronounce diss knee)

There! I'm sure that settles it! May your tower of dogmatism be sufficiently undermined and shaken!

My years of life experience have taught me to tolerate the misinformed.

If I had a camper it would be a hybrid - love beagles - but love beer much more than kungaloosh. Is a bike a suitable alternative to a scooter?

I will accept a bike since it is a two wheeled conveyance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter