Please don't wrap the gift???

bebelle

DIS Veteran
Just received an invitation to a wedding shower. The invitation said to not wrap the gift in order to save time. The shower is from 1:00-4:00 in a small church basement. What could possibly take so long? We will be there for three hours. There could not be that many people invited. The space is very small. Has anyone ever heard of this idea before?

A coworker's niece is getting married, she told me its the new trend for showers. I had never heard of it either. Part of the fun of going to a shower is seeing the bride open the gifts.

I long for the days when invitations didn't dictate what to buy, where to buy it, or how to present it. Invitations seem to have too many demands nowadays.

I actually just went to a baby shower today that asked us not to wrap the gifts. She's a close friend of mine. She said it was for two reasons. The first was to be "green" and not waste paper. The second was that she didn't want to make people sit through the long gift-opening process so they just put all the unwrapped gifts on a table to be displayed. No problems with it on my end!

ETA: I just read the above posts. It's definitely a generational thing. A lot of folks in my age group (I'm 30) aren't opening the gifts in front of everyone anymore. The last few baby and wedding showers I've been to didn't do it and I can't say I mind at all. I actually hate that part, especially if you didn't spend as much as everyone else.

Sounds good to me. I'd be delighted not to have to buy a gift bag, tissue paper, ribbons, etc. or have to try to wrap a present and make it not look like it had been wrapped by a demented chimpanzee (I have absolutely NO present wrapping or bow-tying talents).

Do you tape a card to the present so the recipient will know who it's from or is the card prominently displayed with the gift so everyone knows who gave the most elaborate gift?

Do you tape a card to the present so the recipient will know who it's from or is the card prominently displayed with the gift so everyone knows who gave the most elaborate gift?

Ha. Yes, the guests did tape cards to the gifts if they brought them today. I shipped mine to her house directly so she knew it was from me and I brought a separate card later.

Here they're asking that the gifts be brought before the shower so the hostess has time to arrange them. I usually drop off the gift and then don't attend the shower.

Just received an invitation to a wedding shower. The invitation said to not wrap the gift in order to save time. The shower is from 1:00-4:00 in a small church basement. What could possibly take so long? We will be there for three hours. There could not be that many people invited. The space is very small. Has anyone ever heard of this idea before?

No.

But it's probably tacky, and rude.

And the person throwing the shower is most likely a bully.

She is probably a snowflake too.

I bet she has helicopter parents.

I could never in a million years even imagine doing that.

(Look, I'm adding this---->:rotfl: To make sure nobody takes this seriously)

I received a baby shower invitation that said "Please be a dear and wrap in clear". I have no idea what that means.

I haven't seen this but I think it's a GREAT idea...not having to go out and by wrapping paper and another roll of tape because I can't find mine would be awesome.

I would not be down with wrapping in clear whatever that would be. I'd have to go look for that and yeah, no, it would end up in Saran Wrap!!! :rotfl:

That is a new one but I can behind that. Saves money, time, and trees.:duck:

I actually agree with this.

I wouldn't however drop off the gift early so the host could arrange them. That would just be a waste of my time especially if I didn't live near the location of the shower.

I'm in the over 50 crowd, and I can get on board with this, if it's the new trend! I hate wrapping gifts.

This sounds awesome to me. I have always hated feeling like I have to keep buying more and more to go with my gift because I know it will be opened in front of everyone and I don't want to look cheap. Sometimes my budget is just tight but I don't like looking stingy as EVERYONE in the room watches and takes pictures of the honored guest opening my gift. :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I like it. I went to a shower that did this a few years ago and it was lovely. The gifts were displayed and everyone could walk by and see the gifts if they wanted to. I hate sitting through a bride opening and endless pile of gifts and oooing and ahhhing while she holds up a crock pot. Saves time, money, and is better for the environment.

OK, I get that it is annoying when that one guest goes over the top and individually wraps each dish in a 125 pc setting, or each tiny item in a stuffed diaper bag. But does that mean no gift bags either? How do you get the stuff there, if it's more than one thing? And how does the recipient keep track of who brought what?

If I got an invitation like that, I'd feel the need to package it all in a cute basket or storage container. I wouldn't be able to help myself. :rotfl: So then the recipient ends up with a bunch of plastic/wicker baskets she doesn't need. Seems far less "green" than some gift bags that can be reused. :confused3

I don't mind wrapping presents and I recently went to a bridal shower where we were asked not to wrap the gifts. I admit, I was skeptical and so was my mother. However, it worked out great. We just tapped our cards to the boxes and brought them in and put them on the table. One of the bridesmaids was in charge of arranging the table. It was a wonderful shower and no one seemed to miss the bride opening the presents because they were on display on a table and people leisurely walked over to it so see her gifts. There were a lot of older women at the shower and everyone seemed very receptive to the idea. I wouldn't mind if this trend continues :)

Here they're asking that the gifts be brought before the shower so the hostess has time to arrange them. I usually drop off the gift and then don't attend the shower.

Haha...that would be me. Score..no crappy shower games and awkwardly sitting in a room full of people I barely know eating pink and blue food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter