Please don't wrap the gift???

LOL I forgot about the dreaded "bow bouquet!" No wrapping also eliminates those silly games like "gift bingo!"

I wish I had done the no wrapping at my shower, I hated being in front of everyone while I unwrapped. I hate attention on me and felt pressured to hurry so I could get it over with and people could get on with their day.

How? Because there's no wrapping paper? So if they were wrapped the event wouldn't be an excuse for gifts? Isn't that exactly what a baby shower is?

They actually thank you for the gift when they open it. This way they don't want to put out any effort in getting a gift.:lmao:

LOL I forgot about the dreaded "bow bouquet!" No wrapping also eliminates those silly games like "gift bingo!"

I wish I had done the no wrapping at my shower, I hated being in front of everyone while I unwrapped. I hate attention on me and felt pressured to hurry so I could get it over with and people could get on with their day.

Wouldn't it have been easier to not have the shower? :confused3

No, it wouldn't have been easier not to have a shower. I wanted our extended families to meet before the wedding and I was all for a shower, I just did not want to be up in front of everyone opening gifts, I hate being the center of attention. Plus, I had a group of bridesmaids, as well as elderly relatives on both sides of our families that were very insistent that i have a shower, which I was fine with, I just didn't want the traditional "shower games."

To each his own, I know a lot of people that love the traditional showers with the games and opening of the gifts, oooing and ahhhhing etc. Just not for me! There is no right or wrong, just what a person is comfortable with.

They actually thank you for the gift when they open it. This way they don't want to put out any effort in getting a gift.:lmao:

So what you're saying is the joy isn't in actually giving a gift to a loved one, but rather in being publicly recognized for doing so? I assure you that thank you cards will be sent. There just wasn't any public praise for each gift.

So what you're saying is the joy isn't in actually giving a gift to a loved one, but rather in being publicly recognized for doing so? I assure you that thank you cards will be sent. There just wasn't any public praise for each gift.

It is nice to see a person who made a special gift get thanked. I am not the person who makes the gift.

Why do people have showers anymore? I don't know a single person who ever looks forward to going.

Does anyone really look forward to playing shower games? Are you full of excitement as the new bride or mother-to-be opens gift after gift? How many of us were overjoyed at the prospect of seeing crazy Aunt Judy or wondering if Aunt Marge will arrive sober or drunk?

There are registries for 2 year old birthday parties and specific requests on invitations for things like cash for our honeymoon. Now we are eliminating the unwrapping part of the event and the whole stupid bow making thing. Long ago they eliminated the need to keep track of who came and gave what by making the guest fill out their own envelope. The entire process seems so outdated.

I had a bridal shower and hated every single minute of it. I put everyone on notice that I would not have a baby shower when the time came and I stuck to my guns. My friends and family obviously knew I was pregnant and if they felt the need, they could send or bring by a gift if they wanted. There wasn't a registry or any type of mandate telling them what to buy or how to wrap it and there was no obligation to buy anything! I don't regret not having a baby shower in the slightest and if people honestly hate them as much as they let on, maybe it is time for the tradition to end.

Why do people have showers anymore? I don't know a single person who ever looks forward to going.

Does anyone really look forward to playing shower games? Are you full of excitement as the new bride or mother-to-be opens gift after gift? How many of us were overjoyed at the prospect of seeing crazy Aunt Judy or wondering if Aunt Marge will arrive sober or drunk?

There are registries for 2 year old birthday parties and specific requests on invitations for things like cash for our honeymoon. Now we are eliminating the unwrapping part of the event and the whole stupid bow making thing. Long ago they eliminated the need to keep track of who came and gave what by making the guest fill out their own envelope. The entire process seems so outdated.

I had a bridal shower and hated every single minute of it. I put everyone on notice that I would not have a baby shower when the time came and I stuck to my guns. My friends and family obviously knew I was pregnant and if they felt the need, they could send or bring by a gift if they wanted. There wasn't a registry or any type of mandate telling them what to buy or how to wrap it and there was no obligation to buy anything! I don't regret not having a baby shower in the slightest and if people honestly hate them as much as they let on, maybe it is time for the tradition to end.

The last wedding I went to didn't have a bridal shower. They had a henna party. It was really fun. All women. There's hors d'oeuvres and music and dancing. No gifts. And they have henna artists that paint designs on everyone. In another room next door all the men friends and family were having their own little party and at the end they opened the doors between the two rooms and had a big party and meal with everyone.

:confused3 I love showers. I get to catch up with friends and/or family, have a reason to dress up, have a lovely lunch or apps, an excuse for drinking champagne during the day, and celebrate the bride-to-be or mother-to-be. Granted I enjoy any kind of party (especially weddings) but as far as I'm concerned there is nothing not to like about showers.

I would refuse to attend!!!! LOL!! i LOVE wrapping presents and I get all design-y about presentation. I would take it as an insult as I am famous in my circle for my hand-tied bows.

I think the pp who said something about appearing cheap was talking about when the bride opens your gift in front of everyone and it is announced to the room, " this gift is from Sally Smith!" Then everyone looks at sally smith and the bride opens the gift and holds it up announcing, "Ohhhhh it's a blender!"

"Ohhh look, this is from Bob NC and it's a Groupon!!!!"

They're business transactions, pure and simple. Of course there are exceptions, but I think most people have grown tired of showers because they're simply overdone now. People are having 2-3 showers per baby (one for work group, one for church group, one for family, one for friends, whatever) and showers for their third and fourth children, and they all come with laundry lists of demands and instructions and it's just.too.much.

I didn't have a bridal shower because I didn't want others stressing over buying me gifts under the pretense of celebrating my marriage; DH and I jointly took all of our friends out to dinner and drinks instead and had a blast. If we ever decide to have a child, I'd love to keep it to the same idea; a spontaneous evening with close friends spending their time with us out of love, not 80 coworkers showing up out of duty bearing gifts.

Stop with the logic already! :lmao:

And lets add common sense: If you don't like that the bride/mom to be is registered or asked for unwrapped gifts, or is having a dinner that you don't like, or chose wedding colors that clash with your hair or WHATEVER, then you don't have to go. It's an invitation, not a summons. If you are going to go and be grumpy, nobody wants you there anyway, we are going to have fun, visit our friends and family, toss back a couple adult drinks, eat some food and look at the gifts which we were happy to buy, even if the bride or mom to be suggested what she might want.

Do you tape a card to the present so the recipient will know who it's from or is the card prominently displayed with the gift so everyone knows who gave the most elaborate gift?

Well, that happens anyway! The card is read, it is announced who has given the gift and the gift is shown. No difference.

I'm old. My first thought was 'well, that's a really stupid idea'. Then, as I read the responses, I realized that no, it's actually a very good idea. There is nothing that is worse than sitting there, for over an hour, watching someone open a myriad of gifts. And I don't much care if it's a bridal or baby shower. the only people that enjoy them are the gift recipients and their immediate families. The guests pretty much sit there, dying for it to be over.
If the gifts are all left unwrapped, with gift cards attached, then people can see who brought what, if they care to, and then they can socialize. There is no need for silly games. It can now be a nice, adult 'get together'. So much nicer than the showers back in my day!

I love to wrap! Matching ribbon, the package decorations (rattles, teething rings for a baby shower- measuring spoons, etc for a bridal shower). The whole nine yards.

I've been having trouble finding wrapping paper that I really like lately. Maybe because wrapping is "going out of style".

If someone didn't want wrapped presents though, that would be okay with me. For all the reasons previously mentioned.

Now is where I hijack this thread. :lmao:

I recently went to a baby shower for a 2nd cousin. Didn't really want to go, but felt obligated since she lives next door (with parents and grandmother). Her boyfriend hunts, so there was sort of a hunting decor/ theme (think pink and camouflage). While everyone was waiting for the gifts to be opened, I assume it was to give everyone time to arrive, the mom to be said how bored she was.

I could go on, but the real kicker for me was there were scrolls of some sort tied with a little bow on the cake table. Everyone was told to make sure they took one. I read it and at first thought it was thanking everyone for coming, no, it turned out those were the official thank you.

Now I may be old school, but I believe in Thank you cards. I feel if someone took the time (and expense) to go to your baby registry, pick out and buy a gift they should be sent a thank you card (or even an e-mail). Something personal.

I get the whole being busy with a new baby, but I don't think that's an excuse. The shower was at least 6 weeks before the baby was born, and she doesn't work, so how busy could she have been.

By the way, she's 18 and from what I've heard from one of her friends she got pregnant to get out of the house. :crazy2: That plan didn't work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter