Planning Journal Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't going to join in on this thread but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I have been here for almost 2 years. I originally joined the DIS as I was planning my own wedding. I spent hours searching and reading every PJ and TR I could find as like many others on here didn't have any idea how to plan a wedding and wanted to read how others had gone about it. I was on this board for almost a year before I married and I will never forget how much help I received on here.

The 2 TR's that did it for me was Maggimus and ForKeeps, I still think of these trip reports fondly as they helped me tremendously. I vowed that when I had my wedding I would attempt to help others as I had been helped and one way I could do it was to write my own PJ and TR. I have done and I continue to do my TR as it is still not finished:rotfl: and I agree that through this I have formed some very deep ties. Together we have shared a huge part of our lives, the ups and downs and the happiness that was our wedding day. If this board differs in any way to other community boards then this is why. It's not like we share this part of ourselves to just anyone!

I would love to see a subforum as I personally would love to know how everyone that married before me is getting on. I would hate to see everyone disappear from this board, but it does feel like we are being told to shove off after we are married.

Sorry for such a long post, trust me to overwrite;)

beautifully stated!:lovestruc

I am all for PJ's and TR's. I like that you can start a thread to ask a question but I have found the PJ's and TR's most helpful to get ideas for planning. I think it would be a good idea to have the PJ's and TR's in a separate area so the board is more organized and questions are easily seen. I am not against having a separate Happily Ever After section so people can see how everyone is doing after their wedding with their lives, kids, jobs etc..... But how would this be different from having an Off Topic Thread? I don't mean to be negative and I am not sure what happened to the last Off Topic thread. Why was it a problem?

it seems to me that people want there own section or post or whatever the heck they are called. in an off topic thread it is just that, one big thread. I think people would like their own thread?? I could be wrong though. For me it is just easier to view everyones threads seperately and it gives people the special attention they deserve.

I can appreciate your point of view, as well as all other points of view on this subject. My only argument is that some of us have "ventured elsewhere", and the people we did meet were quite less than friendly and welcoming. I have "ventured elsewhere" and tried to strike up general questions, or even tried to help 'newbies' around the boards/WDW. But these attempts were almost always met with critisism, defense, and rudeness. Or, at the best, I was ignored. (And rest assured, this was not one or two attempts, I have been on these boards over a year and am generally obsessed with disney lol, so I have posted a lot on the other boards) So I still vote for a place here where our tight knit community can talk and communicate. And I too speak frome experience. :thumbsup2

I wanted to edit and add: when I use the term "tight knit community" above, it is not to make this board seem 'cliquey' or whatever termanology has been used. I mean it in the sense that we all really attempt to get to know the other posters, rather than just answer their question and move on. We actually care about the person typing the question, PJ, TR, etc....regardless if they have been here 3 years or 3 hours. We just have a different 'feel' on this board :)

no cliquey means snooty:snooty: and unaccepting and this forum is far from that!! everyone here answered my millions of ridiculous questions with joy ,open arms and enthusiasm that hasnt even been shown by own FAMILY!!!! so no we are not cliquey, we just get this whole dis thing for what it really is, MAGICAL pixiedust:

Naw, just a difference of opinion... I guess we all feel strongly about this board, wedding forum and others. I think it's good to freely express how we feel. It means we love being here and love being around these kinds of people! :hug: I hope no one is getting defensive... they shouldn't. ::yes::

Toni, totally get what you're saying though... I think TR stay on topic for the most part, it's hard not to share "extras" among friends, and boy do I love reading them! :thumbsup2

:love:

I was here and an avid member of the...dare I say it OT thread. The OT thread though had, as the name suggests, nothing to do with weddings or honeymoons etc, it was more of a get together place where we could all just chat back and forth about how our day had been, what was going on, blah blah blah:goodvibes
I think that the sub forum would be different. I hadn't actually thought about what I would do after my TR came to an end (if ever) but I don't think I want to go cold turkey. I am amazed that people still follow along with my TR after 10 months and I am grateful. I don't think I want to just say to everyone, "well thank you very much for your interest, but don't let the door hit you on the way out" I am more than happy to update, and I have done in my TR, and I would love to see others do the same.
I think this is the general consensus here...

And happy is always a good thing! ::yes::

We always know Toni will bring in the positiveness! You're the best, Toni! :hug:

LOL aww thank you! I try...lol. I like happy! :rotfl: oh and summer-caitlin and inkedupmomma I think what you two wrote was great!!!

I think this thread has gotten really out of control. :confused3

I don't think having an opinion about the wedding board has anything to do with how long you've been a member, but more to do with how we feel as a whole unit. We are not alissa and rachel and carrie and lynn, we are disbrides and grooms - and as a whole unit we shape the future of this board. Obviously with so many people able to access disboards, there are bound to be some uncooperative-duds who get some sick sadistic pleasure in stirring up trouble. :stir: But rather then join them, we should ignore them and not feed into pages upon pages in threads that really have no relevance to wedding planning past, present, or future. I believe this was the message in the first place.

As for being a clique, I couldn't disagree more. I understand how a tight knit group of individuals can come off as intimidating, but do not confuse intimidating with arrogance. We are no more judgmental to new posters as our predecessors were to us. Obviously, everyone is a newbie at some point and everyone has had the same questions at one time or another -- this has by far been my greatest resource in planning our disney wedding and I'm sure everyone knows what it's like to say "I've only been lurking up until now, but I just had to say...."

LOL aww thank you! I try...lol. I like happy! :rotfl: oh and summer-caitlin and inkedupmomma I think what you two wrote was great!!!

thank you:) like i said i'm not well spoken/written, so i never know if what im saying makes sense lol.. also, being brief isn;t my strong point :hyper:

Ok seriously I just don't see what harm it would do...can we just try it out and see how it works out? I don't see what harm it would cause,I really don't.

I have been on this board for almost 2 years I think and I was around when the OT thread was on here and I do have to day that it was a fun place for us all to talk about everyday life,but I don't think it should be a long thread like that...we could have the sub thread for disney newlyweds,kind of like the Nest....I don't know I just think Happily Ever After is a GREAT idea. I hope this can happen,it would be nice.

I agree with Inkedupmomma...I don't want to go searching all over the place for my friends on the other boards. It would be nice if we could all stick together...it's going to be hard for us all to keep in touch with each other after our weddings..I mean seriously we all bonded together on here,I don't want to stop talking to my friends about my life when I am done with my TR.

No offense...but how would you know? If your join date is correct, you've only been here a year.

If you thought it was so boring why did you stay? Maybe it wasn't as boring as you want everyone to believe.

Sorry guys, but I'm sure you all knew once I saw this I wouldn't be able to resist responding.

I'm sure you know, hiwaygal, since you've been here so long; that you don't need to sign up to view this forum. How do you know how long I had been lurking around getting ideas from this forum? You have absolutely no idea.

It was boring. Just a bunch of information with no personalization. That's how I feel and that's how I'll continue to feel.

I came to this board for the info...but I stayed for the friends.

I totally vote for a "Happily Ever After" sub board. I wander around the other areas of the DIS but never feel comfortable posting 'out there' lol. DF has been on the DIS just as long as me, and has much more posts than me, yet he doesn't know a single person by their first name. There is something special about the wedding boards. Heck, DF knows the names and back-stories of half the girls on here because they are MY friends! (ahem, Amanda, Lynn, Kendra..lol) We are a family of sorts here and we need some place to hang around afterwards. Otherwise we've spent 1,2 or 3+ years getting to know some of the people here, then *BAM* get the boot. I mean, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm dying to know how Lynn & Tim's first year of marriage is....and I want to hear all about Amanda's little one. I don't want to be cut off from them..but I feel like going out onto the main DIS boards, well, there really isn't a place for us out there. We're simply 'Disney brides who all love each other and want to keep in touch'..there..that should be the new forum :) lol

Anyways...I just vote for a sub-forum and thats my two cents. :thumbsup2

I am a tad late, but I couldn't agree more. I vote for a a sub-forum too!

Honestly, every time I have to go into the family boards to read Amanda's Pregnancy PJ, I get a little annoyed. I feel like her little one, as well as all past disbrides and disgrooms are relevant.

I knew using the "clique" word would have the negative connotation that I didn't not intend.;) I really didn't mean it in a bad way...

Having said that, as someone who is frequently "on the outside looking in" on most of the planning and reports threads (and seeing things that have happened on this board and others), there is an air of exclusivity among the groups here. I choose to be where I am, but I imagine there are some who want to join in but don't know how or feel as if they are crashing a party. Unfortunately, it's the nature of a community sometimes.

I understand what you are saying in a way. BUT, I don't really see how a newbie would not feel welcome or excluded. It's very clear that anytime a new bride or groom posts, dozens of people welcome them with open arms and sit waiting to read more about them and their plans.

I've felt that the oldies (past brides and grooms) are the ones who are excluded, due to the fact that the rules have been that the boards are to be solely dedicated to weddings and honeymoons. I miss Caryn and Maggie (I was just lurking when Maggie was really around a lot, but still) and so many others. And personally I struggle to post here for a few reasons, but a huge one is that I don't feel relevant anymore.

I think there is a definite welcome for newbies to join the party, while it's also made clear that oldies need to exit the party at some point.

no offense, but we are the brides and the brides to be and it seems that most people agree that they want to keep things in this forum.. or at least have a sub forum. and what does join date have to do with anything? you can lurk without having joined. or know others who are on here and view through their pages.

im not sure who said it, but i agree that we should all venture to other parts of the boards. and i do.. and when i have questions about cruises i go to the CRUISE board, when i have a question about budgeting (which is often) i go to the BUDGET board, when i wanna see what fams from pa are going to wdw this sept i go to the DOING THE HAPPY DANCE board, i've got many friends alll over this board. But i would like to keep my wedding stuff and life thereafter on here in some way shape or form. maybe i'll be banned for saying this, but i think it's sucky not to speak our minds because we are afraid that the mods will kick us off!! how very un-disney and non-magical to say the least. For many of us brides this board is a safe haven. I dont want to have to search through all the other boards to see if lynn and tim get pregnant or buy a house or whatever.. or see if orangetig moves form the uk. we've all started something magical here and i'd like to keep it going in the same spot. Like i said, what harm would it be if we just contain everything in one hughe pj/tr/whatever?? or possibly a sub-forum.

why punish us for what one person (skylar) has done? that problem with her should have been nipped in the bud centuries ago on the other boards where she started stuff!

idk, i'm not a very well spoken or written person, so maybe i just sound dumb or mean.. but really i'm just tired after working since 10 (did i mention im doing an overnight sitting) and bummed. at the end of the night all i wanna do is come on here and see what my fav brides are up to without having to search all over:sad2: :headache: :badpc:

i love yall man :grouphug:

I think you wrote it very well. I agree, especially the part about going all over to read about how our friends are doing.

I've felt that the oldies (past brides and grooms) are the ones who are excluded, due to the fact that the rules have been that the boards are to be solely dedicated to weddings and honeymoons. I miss Caryn and Maggie (I was just lurking when Maggie was really around a lot, but still) and so many others. And personally I struggle to post here for a few reasons, but a huge one is that I don't feel relevant anymore.

I think there is a definite welcome for newbies to join the party, while it's also made clear that oldies need to exit the party at some point.

I totally agree with you. For me it seems if we aren't able to talk about things that are going on in our lives after the wedding we are going to lose the people who have so much information to give. What good is this board going to be when brides finish their TR and then leave. I already see that it will be hard for me to not talk about what else is going on in my life. I know once I finish my pj & tr if I am forced to go else where to talk about my daughter or whatnot it might be difficult to come back and read and offer help to the new brides.

I'm not trying to be difficult and I wasn't going to post. Yet I agree with inkedupmomma, I want to feel I can voice my opinion and not get kicked off.

Sorry guys, but I'm sure you all knew once I saw this I wouldn't be able to resist responding.

I'm sure you know, hiwaygal, since you've been here so long; that you don't need to sign up to view this forum. How do you know how long I had been lurking around getting ideas from this forum? You have absolutely no idea.

It was boring. Just a bunch of information with no personalization. That's how I feel and that's how I'll continue to feel.

Beautifully said about staying for the friends... I couldn't agree more! :hug:

So true Amanda,we stay for the friends

I am a tad late, but I couldn't agree more. I vote for a a sub-forum too!

Honestly, every time I have to go into the family boards to read Amanda's Pregnancy PJ, I get a little annoyed. I feel like her little one, as well as all past disbrides and disgrooms are relevant.

Yeah it bothers me too
:confused3 I still don't understand why the mods can't come back and say yes it can happen or no it can't.

I wonder the same thing.

I wonder the same thing.

It's possible they haven't seen it yet... :confused3 Just because the lot of us have the obsession of checking Dis every 2 hours doesn't mean the mods do as well.

:offtopic: Does anyone know how to become a mod?

I wasn't planning on keeping this name but I actually like it. Time for a fresh start anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter