Planning Journal Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am relatively new to this part of the forums as we are currently planning our Disney Wedding, I love reading the PJ's a TR's regardless of whether they are new or old, they are always full of great tips and ideas. I like the fact that they are wedding specific which would get totally lost on the TR board.

Everyone on here is really nice which is not something you experience on other disney forums where posts often turn into heated arguements which is totally off putting. I don't even like to post in case someone disagree's with my opinion.

If the board needs further organisation then I think we should have a sub-area where we can put TR's and PJ's and keep the main area for questions and discussions.

I also don't see the problem if someone's TR extends and people ask about "after the wedding" everyday life. People choose to read the TR's and as these are specific to the couple or bride getting married then if people have read enough and the thread has drifted then they just won't read any more. I could see a problem if people were starting new threads about non-wedding related stuff but if they are contained then for me it's not a an issue.

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

I am relatively new to this part of the forums as we are currently planning our Disney Wedding, I love reading the PJ's a TR's regardless of whether they are new or old, they are always full of great tips and ideas. I like the fact that they are wedding specific which would get totally lost on the TR board.

Everyone on here is really nice which is not something you experience on other disney forums where posts often turn into heated arguements which is totally off putting. I don't even like to post in case someone disagree's with my opinion.

If the board needs further organisation then I think we should have a sub-area where we can put TR's and PJ's and keep the main area for questions and discussions.

I also don't see the problem if someone's TR extends and people ask about "after the wedding" everyday life. People choose to read the TR's and as these are specific to the couple or bride getting married then if people have read enough and the thread has drifted then they just won't read any more. I could see a problem if people were starting new threads about non-wedding related stuff but if they are contained then for me it's not a an issue.

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Very well put. I agree with everything you just said. I feel like I could've wrote that myself.

I first found this board about 20 months ago, when we first started planning our wedding. I wasn't a DIS newbie, both DH and I shared a username and posted on the cruise forum.
BUT I found this forum an AMAZING place. Nowhere else could you find the quantity and depth of information about the one thing I was obsessing about. I loved all the PJ's and like other brides have said, they inspired me to create and personalise my future wedding. I also loved the trip reports. I can still think of nothing better than getting myself a mug of coffee once DD has gone to bed and reading a good trip report from beginning to end, if there are plenty of photos, all the better!!. Without reading these TRs my own wedding would not have been shaped the way it was. So inspirational were these reports the usernames will be etched in my memory for ever ( MAGGIMUS and FORKEEPS :worship: )
I cannot imagine this board without PJs and TRs, it would be a shadow of it's former self.They are part and parcel of what this forum is all about - and I think most of us love it just the way it is now.
I would never have thought to plough through everyones "vacation" tripies over on the other forum to find a "wedding" TR, I think they are a seperate entity and it would be a real loss for all of us, both oldtimers and newbies if they are banished. I am still in the process of writing my own TR. Frankly, I wouldn't bother posting it in a general forum as I'd feel that the majority of readers wouldn't be interested whereas posting it here feels as if I am sharing it amongst friends :hug: JMHO.
Carol.

I totally understand the importance of having individual threads for these questions---but it is SO valuable to have the "big picture" of everything as well.

This is getting slightly off topic...but just wanted to give my perspective as a newbie.

:thumbsup2 I'm a newbie too and I couldn't have said it better. I don't think I ever felt outcast or cliqued-out. In fact, everyone kept telling me how they wished I'd start a pj... On the same note, I think that wedding TRs will get swallowed by the larger TR boards and people who are interested in the tiny wedding details won't find them. For example, I would have never thought to add petals to our aisle if it hadn't been for carrie and lynn and seeing their ceremony pics... :confused3 I would hate to think that these wouldn't be around to help future brides (in fact, I'm still looking to add/remove things from our wedding trip) ... I'm POSITIVE this is not the direction that Jonette wanted this thread to go, but I would hate to see our little community dismantled because it was "Off Topic." :worried:

I cannot imagine this board without PJs and TRs, it would be a shadow of it's former self.

Actually, it would be just like it's former self. PJ's and TR's in this forum are relatively new.

This topic has been discussed before when many threads were getting too off topic. There was an "off-topic" thread that was closed because of lots of problems.

I guess for me, the bottom line is "their board, their rules".

The moderators and administrators have expressed a desire to keep this board on topic. No one is asking anyone to leave, nor are they asking for journals and trip reports to be put somewhere else, just that they be kept on topic.

Actually, it would be just like it's former self. PJ's and TR's in this forum are relatively new.

This topic has been discussed before when many threads were getting too off topic. There was an "off-topic" thread that was closed because of lots of problems.

I guess for me, the bottom line is "their board, their rules".

The moderators and administrators have expressed a desire to keep this board on topic. No one is asking anyone to leave, nor are they asking for journals and trip reports to be put somewhere else, just that they be kept on topic.

Understood...

I am all for PJ's and TR's. I like that you can start a thread to ask a question but I have found the PJ's and TR's most helpful to get ideas for planning. I think it would be a good idea to have the PJ's and TR's in a separate area so the board is more organized and questions are easily seen. I am not against having a separate Happily Ever After section so people can see how everyone is doing after their wedding with their lives, kids, jobs etc..... But how would this be different from having an Off Topic Thread? I don't mean to be negative and I am not sure what happened to the last Off Topic thread. Why was it a problem?

Hiwayhal,
i get what your saying. But I think we have all made it pretty clear as to why we dont want to venture to those other parts of the boards.. cliquey or not or whatever, we've all become close on here. We don't have that relationship with people on the other boards that we do here. Like i said, I just dont see the harm of posting and keeping everything in one pj or one big tr.. or like I suggested earlier perhaps a sub forum on here called happily ever after or disbrides after the big day.. personally I come on here for wedding stuff, and i go to other parts of the boards for something completely different. I'd like to keep it that way.. idk, i could and prolly will write more, but i'm watching 4 kiddies right now and they wanna play the wii lol:rotfl2:

I sometimes lurk here. Hoping one day my own DD will have a WDW Wedding. :thumbsup2 Anyway, I wanted to address this comment, as it reminded me of another area of our Disboards. The regulars on the Budget Board also have recently (maybe a month or two ago) requested a subforum to just chat or go off topic. It was pointed out to them that there were already forums for that purpose. I understand why y'all want the subforum (it's certainly easier to stay where you are comfortable), but you never know who you might meet if you venture elsewhere. Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

I sometimes lurk here. Hoping one day my own DD will have a WDW Wedding. :thumbsup2 Anyway, I wanted to address this comment, as it reminded me of another area of our Disboards. The regulars on the Budget Board also have recently (maybe a month or two ago) requested a subforum to just chat or go off topic. It was pointed out to them that there were already forums for that purpose. I understand why y'all want the subforum (it's certainly easier to stay where you are comfortable), but you never know who you might meet if you venture elsewhere. Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

I can appreciate your point of view, as well as all other points of view on this subject. My only argument is that some of us have "ventured elsewhere", and the people we did meet were quite less than friendly and welcoming. I have "ventured elsewhere" and tried to strike up general questions, or even tried to help 'newbies' around the boards/WDW. But these attempts were almost always met with critisism, defense, and rudeness. Or, at the best, I was ignored. (And rest assured, this was not one or two attempts, I have been on these boards over a year and am generally obsessed with disney lol, so I have posted a lot on the other boards) So I still vote for a place here where our tight knit community can talk and communicate. And I too speak frome experience. :thumbsup2

I wanted to edit and add: when I use the term "tight knit community" above, it is not to make this board seem 'cliquey' or whatever termanology has been used. I mean it in the sense that we all really attempt to get to know the other posters, rather than just answer their question and move on. We actually care about the person typing the question, PJ, TR, etc....regardless if they have been here 3 years or 3 hours. We just have a different 'feel' on this board :)

It's former self was boring.

No offense...but how would you know? If your join date is correct, you've only been here a year.

If you thought it was so boring why did you stay? Maybe it wasn't as boring as you want everyone to believe.

Uh oh. Why do I feel this is getting hostile.

Look, I think that the PJ's and TR's are very important. I don't see anyone posting random TR's they are posting TR's that have to do with either A) there Planning session or B) their wedding/honeymoon. I don't think that is off topic. By reading about past brides WEDDING TRIPS I have learned so much information just by the pictures! I can get an idea of how my wedding may be. Also by reading the PJ's I was able to gather a ton of information and when it was time for my Planning Session I was well prepared. I understand the whole after your married thing with discussing babies, houses, etc. YOu know newlywed things but again I think a subforum would be perfect for that. I would like to hear how its like to just be married because I don't know what to expect myself. I think it is still on topic.

I don't think this thread should be starting an argument and I don't think people should get so defensive either. I think things are pretty good how they are. the wedding TR's and PJ's are very valuable to all of us and I think its hard for us to go to another board because we have all bonded during our nerves and anxieties of planning a wedding.

Uh oh. Why do I feel this is getting hostile.

Naw, just a difference of opinion... I guess we all feel strongly about this board, wedding forum and others. I think it's good to freely express how we feel. It means we love being here and love being around these kinds of people! :hug: I hope no one is getting defensive... they shouldn't. ::yes::

Toni, totally get what you're saying though... I think TR stay on topic for the most part, it's hard not to share "extras" among friends, and boy do I love reading them! :thumbsup2

I wasn't going to join in on this thread but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I have been here for almost 2 years. I originally joined the DIS as I was planning my own wedding. I spent hours searching and reading every PJ and TR I could find as like many others on here didn't have any idea how to plan a wedding and wanted to read how others had gone about it. I was on this board for almost a year before I married and I will never forget how much help I received on here.

The 2 TR's that did it for me was Maggimus and ForKeeps, I still think of these trip reports fondly as they helped me tremendously. I vowed that when I had my wedding I would attempt to help others as I had been helped and one way I could do it was to write my own PJ and TR. I have done and I continue to do my TR as it is still not finished:rotfl: and I agree that through this I have formed some very deep ties. Together we have shared a huge part of our lives, the ups and downs and the happiness that was our wedding day. If this board differs in any way to other community boards then this is why. It's not like we share this part of ourselves to just anyone!

I would love to see a subforum as I personally would love to know how everyone that married before me is getting on. I would hate to see everyone disappear from this board, but it does feel like we are being told to shove off after we are married.

Sorry for such a long post, trust me to overwrite;)

Naw, just a difference of opinion... I guess we all feel strongly about this board, wedding forum and others. I think it's good to freely express how we feel. It means we love being here and love being around these kinds of people! :hug: I hope no one is getting defensive... they shouldn't. ::yes::

Toni, totally get what you're saying though... I think TR stay on topic for the most part, it's hard not to share "extras" among friends, and boy do I love reading them! :thumbsup2

Opinions are a good thing!!! Just as long as everyone stays happy. :)

No offense...but how would you know? If your join date is correct, you've only been here a year.

If you thought it was so boring why did you stay? Maybe it wasn't as boring as you want everyone to believe.

no offense, but we are the brides and the brides to be and it seems that most people agree that they want to keep things in this forum.. or at least have a sub forum. and what does join date have to do with anything? you can lurk without having joined. or know others who are on here and view through their pages.

im not sure who said it, but i agree that we should all venture to other parts of the boards. and i do.. and when i have questions about cruises i go to the CRUISE board, when i have a question about budgeting (which is often) i go to the BUDGET board, when i wanna see what fams from pa are going to wdw this sept i go to the DOING THE HAPPY DANCE board, i've got many friends alll over this board. But i would like to keep my wedding stuff and life thereafter on here in some way shape or form. maybe i'll be banned for saying this, but i think it's sucky not to speak our minds because we are afraid that the mods will kick us off!! how very un-disney and non-magical to say the least. For many of us brides this board is a safe haven. I dont want to have to search through all the other boards to see if lynn and tim get pregnant or buy a house or whatever.. or see if orangetig moves form the uk. we've all started something magical here and i'd like to keep it going in the same spot. Like i said, what harm would it be if we just contain everything in one hughe pj/tr/whatever?? or possibly a sub-forum.

why punish us for what one person (skylar) has done? that problem with her should have been nipped in the bud centuries ago on the other boards where she started stuff!

idk, i'm not a very well spoken or written person, so maybe i just sound dumb or mean.. but really i'm just tired after working since 10 (did i mention im doing an overnight sitting) and bummed. at the end of the night all i wanna do is come on here and see what my fav brides are up to without having to search all over:sad2: :headache: :badpc:

i love yall man :grouphug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter