Placeholder Booking & Changes

cwis

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

We've booked a Placeholder during our last cruise. This was our first Disney Cruise, so, obviously, this will be the first time we're ever going to use a Placeholder, and we have some questions that we weren't able to find answers for. Hope someone will be here to help!

First, I understand that “converting” the placeholder to an actual reservation has to be done by phone, and not online. (As a fact, I do not see the Placeholder in our Disney Cruise account.) Is this correct?

Second, when we book a cruise, it seems that we now have to pay 10% deposit for cruises 7+ days. Also, I understand that we get a 10% refund. Suppose we would like to book a cruise that costs $3000, am I correct into thinking that our cruise will cost $3000*90% = $2700, with a $270 deposit, meaning we will have to pay $20 when taking into account the $250 face value of the placeholder?

Last question, let's suppose we change our plan after making the initial reservation. Suppose we want to upgrade to a nicer room category. Does the 10% discount still apply? Would we have to make a phone call to “request” it, or is this something that can be done online?

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

First, I understand that “converting” the placeholder to an actual reservation has to be done by phone, and not online. (As a fact, I do not see the Placeholder in our Disney Cruise account.) Is this correct?

Yes, you are correct. You must call in to change your placeholder to an actual cruise reservation.

Second, when we book a cruise, it seems that we now have to pay 10% deposit for cruises 7+ days. Also, I understand that we get a 10% refund. Suppose we would like to book a cruise that costs $3000, am I correct into thinking that our cruise will cost $3000*90% = $2700, with a $270 deposit, meaning we will have to pay $20 when taking into account the $250 face value of the placeholder?

Basically, yes. Taxes and port fees add a little extra complication. The discount is off the cruise fare excluding the taxes and port fees, but your deposit will be 10% of the total including taxes and port fees.

Last question, let's suppose we change our plan after making the initial reservation. Suppose we want to upgrade to a nicer room category. Does the 10% discount still apply? Would we have to make a phone call to “request” it, or is this something that can be done online?

Yes, the 10% applies. Also, you will be locked into whatever the rates are at the time you book the actual cruise reservation. So if the cost of the cruise has risen between the time of your original booking and when you decide to change stateroom categories, you will pay the same amount you would have paid if you selected the new stateroom category when you first booked. You should be able to make the change to the stateroom category online. I say should because it is supposed to work, but I don't have the greatest faith in Disney IT. Sometimes you can't always do everything you should be able to do. Example: I had booked 3 tastings prior to my last cruise. I decided to cancel one of the three. When I logged in to do this online, the two tastings I wanted to keep had the option for me to cancel online. But the one I wanted to cancel had the cancel button greyed out. I tried on 2 different browsers on 2 different days but couldn't ever get the option to cancel the third tasting online so I had to call in. The CM on the phone wasn't able to explain why it wasn't working so we just chalked it up to glitchy Disney IT.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct. You must call in to change your placeholder to an actual cruise reservation.

Basically, yes. Taxes and port fees add a little extra complication. The discount is off the cruise fare excluding the taxes and port fees, but your deposit will be 10% of the total including taxes and port fees.

Yes, the 10% applies. Also, you will be locked into whatever the rates are at the time you book the actual cruise reservation. So if the cost of the cruise has risen between the time of your original booking and when you decide to change stateroom categories, you will pay the same amount you would have paid if you selected the new stateroom category when you first booked. You should be able to make the change to the stateroom category online. I say should because it is supposed to work, but I don't have the greatest faith in Disney IT. Sometimes you can't always do everything you should be able to do. Example: I had booked 3 tastings prior to my last cruise. I decided to cancel one of the three. When I logged in to do this online, the two tastings I wanted to keep had the option for me to cancel online. But the one I wanted to cancel had the cancel button greyed out. I tried on 2 different browsers on 2 different days but couldn't ever get the option to cancel the third tasting online so I had to call in. The CM on the phone wasn't able to explain why it wasn't working so we just chalked it up to glitchy Disney IT.

Thanks Maggie'sMom, that pretty much answers all our questions! :smooth:

Unless this change recently, the deposit (10% or 20%) used to be based on the cruise fare only and not include taxes and port fees. Here's an example of a reservation for an upcoming sailing - note that this was an opening day reservation not done onboard or using a placeholder (I reshoped on board and this was effectively canceled):

Today's Date: 09-Mar-2018
Currency: Rates/Payments are in US Dollars and subject to change
Guest 1 Voyage Fare: $2,380.00
Guest 2 Voyage Fare: $2,380.00
Guest 3 Voyage Fare: $1,505.00
Guest 4 Voyage Fare: $1,505.00
Vacation Protection Plan: NOT INCLUDED
Taxes, Fees, & Port Expenses: $771.72
Ground Transfers: DECLINED

Total Due: $8,541.72
Less Payments: $1,554.00 *
Balance Due: $6,987.72

The payment was 20% of the cruise fare $7770, which is $1554

The 10% off is before port fees & taxes. The 10% deposit includes port fees & taxes.

You can change staterooms & keep your OBB benefits, and you can also even change cruises & still keep your benefits (as long as you are careful to "change" rather than "cancel", and the new cruise isn't a blockout cruise).

The 10% off is before port fees & taxes. The 10% deposit includes port fees & taxes.

You can change staterooms & keep your OBB benefits, and you can also even change cruises & still keep your benefits (as long as you are careful to "change" rather than "cancel", and the new cruise isn't a blockout cruise).

Thanks, I didn't know “changing” a cruise was actually possible. Do you know if we have to call to do it, or if it can be done online?

Thanks, I didn't know “changing” a cruise was actually possible. Do you know if we have to call to do it, or if it can be done online?

If you have an actual cruise booked versus a generic placeholder, that can be changed online in the reservation information or by calling. If you call, make very sure to tell them you want to change/move an existing reservation versus "cancelling" it for another date.

....... Also, you will be locked into whatever the rates are at the time you book the actual cruise reservation. So if the cost of the cruise has risen between the time of your original booking and when you decide to change stateroom categories, you will pay the same amount you would have paid if you selected the new stateroom category when you first booked.....

Is this accurate? I thought if you changed stateroom categories, you paid whatever the current rate was. No? I just added a 4th person to our Christmas cruise and had to pay prevailing rate for him. If I switch staterooms, would the rate would be based on when I booked the cruise over a year ago?

Last edited:
Is this accurate? I thought if you changed stateroom categories, you paid whatever the current rate was. No? I just added a 4th person to our Christmas cruise and had to pay prevailing rate for him. If I switch staterooms, he rate would be based on when I booked the cruise over a year ago?
You are mixing apples and oranges. If you change staterooms, you pay what the price was for that stateroom at the time of the original booking. You didn't just change the stateroom, you added a new person. The new person gets charged the prevailing rate (which is why people always recommend that if you are not sure how many people are coming to book the largest number and then cancel people without charge before PIF, as opposed to adding a more expensive person later.) My guess is that if you switch staterooms now, your first 3 people would be at the rate from when you booked the cruise a year ago and the 4th person would be at the rate on the day you added him.

Huh! I just assumed that all of it would be at prevailing rate. Sounds like it’s worth a phone call tomorrow. I’m feeling like we may be a little cramped in the 4E (even if it does have an enormous verandah!).

Thanks!

Good morning! I have a question regarding changing categories. I originally booked our 2020 cruise while onboard back in March 2019. We booked a 5D stateroom and would now like to change to a 5A. I have been told by both my travel agent and by a Disney agent that when changing the category, you pay the prevailing rate as of the day you make the change. You do not pay the rate as it was the day of your original booking (in my case would have been March). I have read many people saying this isn’t accurate, but according to both my TA and Disney, it is and it has always been this way. Any thoughts on this? My TA said to find the room I want, take 10% off (since I booked while onboard) and that is the price I will pay. If I do as suggested, I’m paying the prevailing rate (minus 10%), not the rate that the stateroom would have been if I would have originally booked it back in March.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

If you have an actual cruise booked versus a generic placeholder, that can be changed online in the reservation information or by calling. If you call, make very sure to tell them you want to change/move an existing reservation versus "cancelling" it for another date.
Are you sure changing cruises can be done online? When I booked direct with Disney, you had to call to change cruises (although staterooms could be changed online). For the past couple of years I've used a travel agency, so I'm wondering if something recently changed.

When I called and spoke with a Disney Cruise Line rep yesterday, they told me that because I’m using a travel agent, the TA is the only one who can make changes to my reservation. That included changing rooms.
Is there a way I can check online to see if I’m able to change the room myself? I’ve looked around, but I can’t see how to do that. Thanks again.

Good morning! I have a question regarding changing categories. I originally booked our 2020 cruise while onboard back in March 2019. We booked a 5D stateroom and would now like to change to a 5A. I have been told by both my travel agent and by a Disney agent that when changing the category, you pay the prevailing rate as of the day you make the change. You do not pay the rate as it was the day of your original booking (in my case would have been March). I have read many people saying this isn’t accurate, but according to both my TA and Disney, it is and it has always been this way. Any thoughts on this? My TA said to find the room I want, take 10% off (since I booked while onboard) and that is the price I will pay. If I do as suggested, I’m paying the prevailing rate (minus 10%), not the rate that the stateroom would have been if I would have originally booked it back in March.

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

I have two forthcoming bookings, one with a placeholder, one without. I just checked the booking with the placeholder, unfortunately the prices haven't change on this one.

On the other bookings, price went up. As you can see, if I try to change the room category of the booking I've already made, the prices are lower (they are “locked” on the date I booked the cruise). This is on the left on my screenshot, and on the right is a view of the same cruise but without being logged (in a private Safari session):

I see no reasons a 10% wouldn't apply on top of the “price lock”, and thus believe things have not changed as your TA was telling you.

Just a thought, maybe you should reconsider using a TA. You are doing the research, and they are getting your commission

When I called and spoke with a Disney Cruise Line rep yesterday, they told me that because I’m using a travel agent, the TA is the only one who can make changes to my reservation. That included changing rooms.
Is there a way I can check online to see if I’m able to change the room myself? I’ve looked around, but I can’t see how to do that. Thanks again.

Our posts crossed. Just to let you know, you can ask Disney to withdraw the booking from the TA if you are not satisfied with them. Not wanting to give you any advices as I know only part of the story, and maybe your TA was helpful in many other ways.

Deposit is based on base fare, not including tax and port charge.

When working with a TA they have to make the changes. You can let your TA know what you are looking for and he/she can keep checking for you. Mine will if I ask. Remember your TA cannot read your mind or has a crystal ball, make sure you communicate your preferences :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter