** Picture of the Day 3 **

Bodie State Park, CA

IMG_1320ed-XL.jpg

Yep, it's the fire season again. The smoky haze is even worse today and I heard that the two fires we have in Colorado are the two worst in the nation at present. Luckily they are many hours away but still worrisome. BUT it's better than the massive fires in our town (Colorado Springs) in 2012 and 2013 before we moved here. Neighbors told us that they evacuated those living just one street above us in 2013! So we traded hurricanes in Maryland for fires I guess.

Yep, it's the fire season again. The smoky haze is even worse today and I heard that the two fires we have in Colorado are the two worst in the nation at present. Luckily they are many hours away but still worrisome. BUT it's better than the massive fires in our town (Colorado Springs) in 2012 and 2013 before we moved here. Neighbors told us that they evacuated those living just one street above us in 2013! So we traded hurricanes in Maryland for fires I guess.

I know what you mean! We live in fear the whole month of August. There was a little fire a couple of miles from me a week or so ago. Helicopters flying over getting water from the lake behind me. Firetrucks up and down my dusty road. That evening they came by to evaluate my house to see if it was "defendable". Happy to say I got one ribbon! So they will try to save my house if it comes that that. If you have 3 ribbons, they won't bother stopping.

Fortunately the fire never got over 2 acres and the next day they were "mopping it up" and then next day they were just "patrolling the area". So that one's gone but you never know where they will pop up. I have a site I check a couple of times a day to see where they fire reports are. 3 so far today but nothing near me.

....yikes....stay safe!

I know what you mean! We live in fear the whole month of August. There was a little fire a couple of miles from me a week or so ago. Helicopters flying over getting water from the lake behind me. Firetrucks up and down my dusty road. That evening they came by to evaluate my house to see if it was "defendable". Happy to say I got one ribbon! So they will try to save my house if it comes that that. If you have 3 ribbons, they won't bother stopping.

Fortunately the fire never got over 2 acres and the next day they were "mopping it up" and then next day they were just "patrolling the area". So that one's gone but you never know where they will pop up. I have a site I check a couple of times a day to see where they fire reports are. 3 so far today but nothing near me.

View attachment 518519

View attachment 518521

Wow! That's a scary thought to have your house evaluated for saving!!! I didn't know that Washington state was also experiencing so much fire danger. It's so beautiful there and I love your cabin. We spent two weeks in Washington state back in 2009 touring Seattle, Mt. Rainier and Olympic NP. We were so impressed with everything there and seriously considered retiring there but Colorado won out.

Our houses are also evaluated for fire danger and there are many landscaping requirements that took effect after both the big fires. In fact there's a map online that shows the fire susceptibility of each lot in much of the county. We get daily alerts about fire danger and wind conditions as well as the air quality. Sometimes I get all worried about it but our neighbors who have been here forever insist that the danger is minimal.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope that those fires don't pop up. Keep us informed here on the DIS. We care about our DISers 😨.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter