Picking a specific stateroom

auntlynne

Aunt Lynne
Is there a way online to check availability for a specific cabin number?

and are all available cabins displayed?

No, and no. The website will only show you up to 8 (might be 5, I can't remember for sure) cabins in the category and floor you are requesting. It also will only show Port side cabins unless there are fewer cabins on that side than the max # it shows. The only way to find out if a specific room is available is to call DCL or your TA if you have one.

I haven't found a way to check availability for a specific cabin number. Maybe a travel agent has access to that, or if you call DCL directly on the phone I'm sure they could tell you specifically.

I do know that they don't show all the available cabins. They only seem to show 8 at a time, and also start by showing results with all cabins on the Port side first... which is weird. I would think they'd keep it even, but you can kind of tell how full a sailing is by whether or not you are seeing any Starboard side cabins in your results.

You can look online for a specific cabin number if you know where to look (what room type, deck, etc.). However, if it shows as unavailable, that could be either due to it being taken or due to it just not being displayed as available by DCL. You'd have to call to verify that. If it shows as available, though, you would know it is available.

As others have mentioned, they only display 8 available staterooms in the desired category, and display them in increasing order starting with the lowest cabin number. That’s why, when the ship is pretty empty, only port cabins are displayed for categories that include a good number of rooms. If the specific cabin you want does not fit into that search result parameter, the only way to check availability is to call DCL.

Thanks, y’all. Just what we need, another person calling reservations. (It only took 5 minutes the other night to get a ressie cancelled).

One advantage - if you want a room that would sleep 5 (even if you are only 2 or 3 people), add 5 people into your passenger count and it will only show you rooms that would accommodate 5 people.

We have twice been successful in getting a specific cabin number but it was only able to be done by talking directly to DCL. Both times we made the reservation on platinum booking day and then talking to them to move the room.

One happened to be while on a cruise in concierge, so once we had the reservation via the internet we turned the details over to them and they took care of it, but that one required some weird second booking for a few hours to facilitate the room transition.

What am I missing? I go to the website, select my date, and ship. Then I select room category, then aft, mid, or forward, and then choose the deck, and all of the available rooms come up. So I can choose a specific room.

As others have mentioned, they only display 8 available staterooms in the desired category, and display them in increasing order starting with the lowest cabin number. That’s why, when the ship is pretty empty, only port cabins are displayed for categories that include a good number of rooms. If the specific cabin you want does not fit into that search result parameter, the only way to check availability is to call DCL.

I am getting the full section (aft, mid, forward) for each deck that there is availability. ?

What am I missing? I go to the website, select my date, and ship. Then I select room category, then aft, mid, or forward, and then choose the deck, and all of the available rooms come up. So I can choose a specific room.

I am getting the full section (aft, mid, forward) for each deck that there is availability. ?
There are usually many available cabins in each section that don't display as available. You have to call DCL to inquire about availability of those and/or book those.

Last edited:

It's not Aft, Mid, and Forward that's the issue. It's Port and Starboard. You have to select category and aft/mid/forward before you will be shown matching cabins. Once you do that, it will only show Port side cabins if there are fewer than 8 remaining Starboard side cabins in the category and location you've selected. You can absolutely choose a particular room from the selection it presents you, and the cabin you wanted might happen to be listed, but you're not seeing all the available cabins in the category and location you chose unless there are fewer than 8 cabins available. Unlike some other cruise lines, there is no way on DCL's website to actually search for a specific cabin # and select it if it's available.

Unless, of course, they've upgraded the website this weekend in preparation for next week's release and changed the way this works.

EDIT: Nope, definitely still only 8 cabins and starboard.

Last edited:
If you have a particular room you want, you can do one of two things. You can book any room in the cat you want online, then phone DCL and have it changed. Or you can just phone DCL and book the room you want. The advantage of the first method is that at least you have something booked at that price (prices can change and rooms can book fast on a limited number of highly desirable cruises). But remember that most cruises will have plenty of availability and if there is a price increase, it may only be nominal. Nothing, however is guaranteed until you (or your TA or DCL CM) press that reserve button.

It's not Aft, Mid, and Forward that's the issue. It's Port and Starboard. You have to select category and aft/mid/forward before you will be shown matching cabins. Once you do that, it will only show Port side cabins if there are fewer than 8 remaining Starboard side cabins in the category and location you've selected. You can absolutely choose a particular room from the selection it presents you, and the cabin you wanted might happen to be listed, but you're not seeing all the available cabins in the category and location you chose unless there are fewer than 8 cabins available. Unlike some other cruise lines, there is no way on DCL's website to actually search for a specific cabin # and select it if it's available.

Unless, of course, they've upgraded the website this weekend in preparation for next week's release and changed the way this works.

Are you sure you are not confusing port and starboard? I always see port side cabins unless fewer than 8 are left in my desired booking category. The port side cabins have the lower stateroom numbers. Starboard cabins in the similar location will have numbers about 500 higher.

I always have to call, since we prefer starboard cabins when available and they never show up when checking the web site on opening day. No big deal, since we have to call to use a placeholder, and anyone booking online is unlikely to have grabbed one of our preferred cabins. Particularly important when trying to book a back-to-back where the first leg was the last cruise of the earlier release and the second leg is the first cruise of the new release.

Are you sure you are not confusing port and starboard? I always see port side cabins unless fewer than 8 are left in my desired booking category. The port side cabins have the lower stateroom numbers. Starboard cabins in the similar location will have numbers about 500 higher.

I always have to call, since we prefer starboard cabins when available and they never show up when checking the web site on opening day. No big deal, since we have to call to use a placeholder, and anyone booking online is unlikely to have grabbed one of our preferred cabins. Particularly important when trying to book a back-to-back where the first leg was the last cruise of the earlier release and the second leg is the first cruise of the new release.
I get them mixed up all the time, so probably. It's the left-hand side of the ship that is presented first.

Okay, see what you mean. I had just checked inside and they were available on both sides of the ship but if I chose verandah then it only showed port or starboard.

So, does this only showing 8 rooms thing apply to all categories...even concierge? Right now, I'm looking at a specific cruise and they're showing me 5 cabins available on the PORT side of deck 12 and 3 available on STARBOARD side.....so can I assume then that there are ONLY 5 cabins left on the port side in my category (I choose the smaller of the concierge rooms b/c we're only a family of 3).

Last edited:
So, does this only showing 8 rooms thing apply to all categories...even concierge? Right now, I'm looking at a specific cruise and they're showing me 5 cabins available on the PORT side of deck 12 and 2 available on STARBOARD side.....so can I assume then that there are ONLY 5 cabins left on the port side in my category (I choose the smaller of the concierge rooms b/c we're only a family of 3).
I've never tried to book Concierge, but I assume it's the same, so that should be correct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter