Pick a Pearl Advice

The boys fussed too much over not being able to tell how big or small the oysters were b/c of the curve of the glass so we just went with the ugliest. One got a pink 8mm and the other got a blue 8mm. Even though they are boys, they really ked the whole ceremony of it all.:goodvibes

I love doing the Pick-a-Pearl. When we were there this past December I think it was $17.95 to pick an oyster. I've done it at DTD and in the Japan area of Epcot. The one in Japan has a whole fancy thing they do. It's fun. In DTD I got a really big grey/blue pearl that I had set in a ring. I tried the "find the ugliest oyster" plan I heard of here on the Dis. First time in DTD I got the large grey/blue pearl, next year in Japan I got a smaller white pearl and then this past year in Japan I got another smaller white pearl. All three time I picked the ugliest oyster I could see in there. I still have one small white pearl in the little baggie. I never did decide on a setting that year so I just took the pearl with me. This past year I had the small white pearl set into a cute heart shaped ring setting.

I have read on another long extensive thread on this (also on here) that the ones at DTD are a bit pushier for sales & get a bit upset if you don't purchase a setting.

We LOVE the Japan location. When you are in the store head to the back area - they have tons of fun inexpensive candy.

DD picked a pearl a few weeks ago and I told her the trick pf picking the ugliest/hairest one and she got a gorgeous 8.5mm pearl (biggest of the day) and it was a silvery white pearl with a tint of blue....really funky colour. We got a neckless setting and she is going to give it to her grandma later this month for her birthday. I thought it was reasonably priced and it was a great experience for DD!

I always pre buy my settings. I get a cage for me and my mom. This time I did it for everyone in the entire trip. You can get some really special ones on that bay auction site. I got a Cinderella's carriage for $3.50 w free shipping and its excellent quality have had it for 3 years. So this year we are doing crowns with hearts for the girls and frogs for the boys.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how do you know what size cage to get? I did a search on that "bay auction site" :) and there are a lot of different sizes/styles. Thanks!

This thread...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520941

should answer most questions you have and will also show you many of the settings they have. The cost with tax for an oyster from the tank is about $17 with the tax....it might even be $17 exactly. The settings vary in price from very simple and inexpensive to ones that are higher priced with diamonds in the settings. It is much much much cheaper for settings at Epcot's pavillion than at DTD where the Pearl Factory has a kiosk.

Page 100 of that thread has a number of photos on it or if you search under my posts, you can see some of the items I have. I love them all!:thumbsup2

We always buy DGDs and our DDs pearls. DH surprised me on our Anniversary with a pick. I choose one with an ugly 'wart', just a feeling. It was a 7 3/4 silver pearl. It is beautiful and was lots of fun!:goodvibes

I saw a post that the Pick a Pearl is $17.95. Could anyone give me a general idea of the cost of settings? Thanks :)
It really isn't very expensive. Total for me w/ cage was 40 dollars or so. Thats why I try to go every trip. 20-50 bucks for settings.

This thread...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520941

should answer most questions you have and will also show you many of the settings they have. The cost with tax for an oyster from the tank is about $17 with the tax....it might even be $17 exactly. The settings vary in price from very simple and inexpensive to ones that are higher priced with diamonds in the settings. It is much much much cheaper for settings at Epcot's pavillion than at DTD where the Pearl Factory has a kiosk.

Page 100 of that thread has a number of photos on it or if you search under my posts, you can see some of the items I have. I love them all!:thumbsup2

Thank you!~

My dd got a 9mm pearl, it was the largest one found that month! We have video of her doing it, it was funny because when the lady announced the size, all the workers in background looked up and went oooooh!

They were great about making a big deal about each pearl, though- my son's was smaller, about 71/2, and they called it a fancy pinkish pearl and our friends'
dd got a blue- all of the kids felt that theirs was unique and special. It is something we do every trip for sure!

DD did the Pick A Pearl last year and had a blast. I'm sure she won't be upset that we both do one this year! (She got a 7 1/4 mm pink-ish pearl last year.)

How much does the pick a pearl cost? and how much do the settings usually run..if I do it DD will have to also.Thanks.

How much does the pick a pearl cost? and how much do the settings usually run..if I do it DD will have to also.Thanks.

Both DDs did this yesterday at Mitsukoshi at Epcot. It was $17.00 each including tax for the pearls, we didn't do settings. The oysters they chose were both pretty clean and both were over 7mm. The lady said that average is 6.5. Both were nice and DDs had fun doing them. Definitely worth the price.

I was thinkin about doing this with my daughter on our trip. I was considering buying a Cinderella's carriage ahead of time. Does anybody have experience with these and know if any size pearl will fit? Also does Epcot carry these also? Thanks!

Neither Epcot nor DTD carry the carriage cages - I was just there last week and asked. You would need to order it off of e-bay.
As far as the size, I think I read on here that it can't be over 7mm, but don't quote me. I just picked the ugliest hairest one and got a beautiful 7 1/2mm gold pearl!

There is also a small pick a pearl site between the Yacht Club and the Beach Club. My ds picked one for my mom.... She had it set in a very simple 14K white gold setting with an 18 inch sterling silver chain. Total cost was around $70.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter