Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

and lastly, just by chance, i snapped this shot at downtown disney...
2624691188_be718b425f.jpg

guess what it is?

Well....I saw your pics on that other thread so I'll leave the guessing to someone else. ;) Love that one though - and they're all great shots! :)

Those are great pictures figment97. Actually all that I've seen here are great. It was helped pushed my decision to buy the a300. I've been playing a week now and we leave in 2 for a long weekend at Disney so I'm really looking forward to getting some great shots.

figment97 what setting did you use for the evening/dusk shots.

This is my first time not using a p&s so I'm a little nervous. I just keep reading and re-reading the manual. But still coming off the auto setting is scaring the bejibbies out of me, lol .

Thanks for this great thread and inspiration to all that have contributed. I'm looking forward to posting some soon.

Well we now have our very own A300. We actually bought the A200 with the kit lens and a 70mm-300mm lens for $600. After much thought, we decided that live view was too important (it is just what we are used to with our point and shoot) so, we returned the A200 and bought the A300. So far we love it. Can't wait to bring it to Disney in Oct!!!

I was so impressed with the photos in this blog that I went out and bought a Sony Alpha 300. Here are a couple of pictures my DD (6 years old) took tonight in my perennial garden. I'm really impressed with this camera! And thank you for your help!
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/vandort_album/DSC00396.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/vandort_album/DSC00393.jpg

I'm glad your impressed by your new A300. I'm impressed with your 6yo DD! :) Very nice pictures - thanks for sharing!

I was toying with purchasing the Sony a100 in the fall and instead purchased a Sony H-9 for my multipurpose camera and a Canon 400D (because I had older film EOS and could use the lenses).

Am I reading this correctly that you can use other brand lenses interchangably? (tameron, minolta, etc????):confused3

If that is the case I would've got the Sony a100 instead of the canon 400D because I love my old DSC-100 and H1.

I still like my Canon 400D but not i love with it.:sad2:

Am I reading this correctly that you can use other brand lenses interchangably? (tameron, minolta, etc????):confused3

.:sad2:

Sony bought Minolta..and kept the Minolta lens mount, so all Minolta AF lenses will work on the Sony DSLRs

plus sigma,tamron,tokina..etc...make lenses in the minolta/sony mount, so they will work also...but you must make sure to get the minolta/sony mount

Subbing

I originally posted on here under my daughters name, GoofyG, but now I have my own signature.:cool1:

I'm officially a Sony DSLR shooter now. :) When I decided to upgrade my Olympus E-510, I came to the conclusion after much internal debate that the E-3 was not for me, but I wanted to stay in the body-stabilization camp so that I could get fast and stabilized glass for less than a mortgage payment each (third-party glass), and also keep my stabilized primes and wide-angle that I have come to love. I debated between Pentax and Sony for several weeks, and I admit that Sony is probably the last place I thought I would end up, but it grew on me and the sensor is fantastic, and Pentax struck out with me for various reasons... so here I am, and I'm really happy! :yay:

I've been very patient building my new kit.. first, I got an excellent deal on a new-in-box A700 from when Best Buy did their blowout clearance of this model.. I got it from someone reselling one they bought for profit, and still ended up saving almost $500 off retail price. Since then I've patiently waited for used deals on all the lenses I wanted, and I got them all except one that I had to buy new because I ran out of time. Without further ado, here's my stuff:

P8230199_800.jpg

On the left side: Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sony 50mm f/1.4, and Minolta 70-210mm f/4 (the legendary "beercan").
Mounted on the camera: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (the only lens I had to buy new).
On the right side: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, and Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro.

The only thing left to get is an f/2.8 telephoto, I will either get the new Tamron 70-200 or Sigma 70-200 HSM when they come out for this mount, but they will probably have to wait for finances to catch up anyway, and that could take quite a while. The beercan is great in the meantime.

I admit that searching for used deals has been quite a task, and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but I managed to save a large chunk of change VS new prices.

But the camera and lenses aren't all... I've wanted to start a basic off-camera lighting setup since about 2 minutes after I started reading Strobist.com last year, and I finally did it:

P8230200_800.jpg

The umbrellas (convertible between shoot-through and reflector) and stands are from MPEX, the flashes are both Sigma EF-500 DG Super that I got used. They can be used on-camera too. I'm hoping to get good enough doing portraits that I can make a side-job out of it, but I have a LONG way to go on that goal.

I'll be taking this camera down to the World in 13 days, indeed our trip is the reason I had a deadline to get everything and I was successful :) Hopefully I'll have some great stuff to share when I get back! Also look for the live report I will likely be doing here on the photo board while we are down there.

What an awesome setup you've aquired so far! Can't wait to see some pictures from your trip. :goodvibes

When I got my Sony one of the first things I did was plan a trip to DL. :laughing: And that meant I had to pick up a couple of lenses quick (a new Sigma 30mm f1.4 and a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8). Since then I've been able to add a couple more including some used Minolta (love the beercan). Next on my wishlist is a macro, a wide, fast zoom and a flash. Little did I know that my great Best Buy deal would lead to this!!!

In the end though I am just so pleased with the Sony and love the pictures I get. Congratulations on yours!

Hello everyone. I'm glad I came across this thread. Great info, and I enjoyed looking at the photos.

I've been contemplating getting a DSLR for awhile now. After reading alot of reviews, and a whole lot of thought, I'm pretty sure that I want a Sony Alpha model...mostly because of the in body stabilization, dust reduction feature, and the compatibility with the Minolta A mount lenses.

So at first, I was decided on an A200. But then I had to chance to play around with a Nikon D40, and realized that I really missed the Live View feature. So, then I decided on an A300 model, with the 18-70 and 55-200 kit lenses. This is selling for $799 right now on Amazon (no tax)

However, I saw in the Best Buy paper today that they have the A350 model, with the 18-70 lens and the 75-300 lens for $899. That's only $154 more (including tax at Best Buy) than the A300 kit, and the 2nd lens is more powerful, as well as jumping up from a 10 to 14 megapixel camera.

Now, I've read various reviews that the 14 megapixel in the A350 is basically overkill, and that it also slows down the speed of the camera. So, I'm debating because of this.

Another option I considered is just buying the A300 with the 18-70 lens (kit lens) off Amazon for $599, and then adding the Sony 75-300 lens for $229. Or, I could save some money and go with a Tamrac lens instead for a savings of about $90.

I should mention that my current camera is a Canon S2-IS, so I've been spoiled by the large 12x zoom on that.

So...which option should I go with:

1) A300 model, with the 18-70 and 55-200 kit lenses. Selling for $799 right now on Amazon (no tax).

2) A300 with the 18-70 kit lens off Amazon for $599 (no tax), and then adding the Sony 75-300 lens for $229 (no tax). (Or, I could save some money and go with a Tamrac lens instead for a savings of about $90.)

3) A350 model, with the 18-70 lens and the 75-300 lens for $899 + $54 tax = $953 , a sale at Best Buy this week. That's $125 more (with tax) than the A300 with the same exact lenses.

I appreciate any advice that you all can give me. Thanks! :)

Hello everyone. I'm glad I came across this thread. Great info, and I enjoyed looking at the photos.

1) A300 model, with the 18-70 and 55-200 kit lenses. Selling for $799 right now on Amazon (no tax).

2) A300 with the 18-70 kit lens off Amazon for $599 (no tax), and then adding the Sony 75-300 lens for $229 (no tax). (Or, I could save some money and go with a Tamrac lens instead for a savings of about $90.)

3) A350 model, with the 18-70 lens and the 75-300 lens for $899 + $54 tax = $953 , a sale at Best Buy this week. That's $125 more (with tax) than the A300 with the same exact lenses.

I appreciate any advice that you all can give me. Thanks! :)

Hi!

Will fps make any difference to you? Along with the megapixel difference the A300 shoots at 3 fps and the A350 at a slightly slower 2.5 fps which may be what you referred to in mentioning the slower performance of the A350. For me that would influence my decision as I like to do some action shots and being able to get more pictures quickly is important.

Also, you might look at B&H Photo. They have the same deal as the Best Buy option #3 but depending on where you live you may be able to avoid the tax. There would be shipping though. They also have the same A300packages as the ones from Amazon.

Between your 3 options I'd probably select #2 but with the Tamron lens and then take the $90 and pick up a used Minolta 50mm 1.7 for around $100 on ebay or somewhere that sells used equipment. Then you'd have a nice fast prime lens as well!

Glad someone bumped up this thread - I've been here for a few weeks now, but never saw this thread until now.

My current kit is an A300, with the SAL 18-250mm as my all-purpose walkaround lens, a Minolta 50mm F1.7 for low light, and a Tamron 200-500mm for wildlife and birding. I keep it all in a Kata R102 bag purchased to handle the huge 200-500 lens installed on-body. I have a remote shutter cord as well for tripod work. Love the camera, and having lots of fun with it since I got it back in April or so.

A few weeks ago I had my first Disney trip with the A300, and thoroughly enjoyed playing around and pushing the limits of the camera with the wonderful Disney scenery:

101086633.jpg

101086638.jpg

101086637.jpg

101086646.jpg

101086659.jpg

101086676.jpg

101086605.jpg

101086614.jpg

101086620.jpg

101086693.jpg

101086688.jpg

It was a shorter trip, and several days were either rainy or threatened rain, so I didn't get as many photo opportunities as I'd have hoped this time around. But for a first chance with the new camera, I was most interested to try dark ride photos, since I've never really had that capability before picking up the A300 and the 50mm F1.7 lens. And I didn't bring the Tammy 200-500 to any of the parks since it is a big and heavy lens and it was too hot to be lugging it around! The 18-250 had enough reach to get to the gorillas, which was enough for now...when the weather's cooler, I may bring it into AK for a few animal closeups. All shots above are with the 18-250, except the Pirates of the Caribbean and Universe of Energy shots which are with the 50mm.

Of course, the Alpha and I will be there again in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll have more opportunities to play around - and we'll be there again in December when the weather's cooler, and lugging around a full kit won't be as tiring!

So at first, I was decided on an A200. But then I had to chance to play around with a Nikon D40, and realized that I really missed the Live View feature. So, then I decided on an A300 model, with the 18-70 and 55-200 kit lenses. This is selling for $799 right now on Amazon (no tax)

! :)

the live view feature is nice if needed, but keep in mind that to get the sharpest pictures it's best to use the viewfinder,

It is much esier to eliminate camera movement using the viewfinder, than it is using live view..

Hey zackiedawg.. thanks for sharing your pics. I talked to you briefly over on the Sony dpreview forum when you posted your "high ISO torture test" photos. Now you see what I'm headed down with :) Maybe we'll bump into each other, I'd love to have a look at the 18-250. I know it has excellent reviews in terms of superzooms... I've just never been able to bring myself to make any compromise, even though it would be so much more convenient. But your pictures look excellent.

I'd be happy to share any info on the 18-250 if we should happen to run into eachother. Keep your eyes out for a big guy with an A300 and you are welcome to give the 18-250 a tryout.

We're both coming in on the 5th and I'll be at Disney until the 9th (last two days of my trip are for a conference, so likely no Disney time on Tues or Wed). My schedule is unplanned and my pace is very laid back, so check out all the shady spots and chill out areas in the parks near bars or soft drink stands!

Nice pictures zackiedawg - thanks for sharing! One question about your 18-250. Have you gotten much, if any, vignetting with it? I've read a a couple of comments from people that mention getting it when they use the lens wide open and that may be what's happening with mine. It's subtle enough that I have only noticed it when I've been shooting with sky as the background.

Otherwise I find it very sharp and like the colors it produces a lot. Unless I'm shooting in low light it's the lens I have on my camera that most! It provides such a great range and is so nice IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter