Philadelphia Marathon Weekend 2022

I posted my race report here
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-running-thread-2022.3865074/page-140#post-64438030
And yes security was a minor disaster. My assessment is that they looked in every gear check bag at security and put one of those wristband paper things on each and every bag to show it had been checked while you are walking around the start area. But just tearing off all those wristbands and putting them on the bags slowed people's entries substantially. Right after we got through they ran out anyway and stopped putting them on. I doubt they will do that tomorrow but we will see.

Had a great race. Made an even better time that I ever thought I would. I think the cold helped. What didn't help was the 45 min wait at box truck #5 (half-marathon) for my recovery clothes in 35degrees. That's actual 45min.
The course was beautiful and I really appreciated the folx standing out and cheering. It made such a positive difference to my run. I loved reading the signs... participating in the joy of the moment. Loved it.

Had a great race. Made an even better time that I ever thought I would. I think the cold helped. What didn't help was the 45 min wait at box truck #5 (half-marathon) for my recovery clothes in 35degrees. That's actual 45min.
The course was beautiful and I really appreciated the folx standing out and cheering. It made such a positive difference to my run. I loved reading the signs... participating in the joy of the moment. Loved it.
That wait is brutal! I know I was freezing after the finish too.

That is dreadful. I volunteered at Boston this year and they used school buses--each row of seats had a specif range of bib numbers. The crew on our bus (which was understaffed) managed to get people their bags back within minutes. At one point, we could even see them walking up, read their number and have their bag waiting.

That is dreadful. I volunteered at Boston this year and they used school buses--each row of seats had a specif range of bib numbers. The crew on our bus (which was understaffed) managed to get people their bags back within minutes. At one point, we could even see them walking up, read their number and have their bag waiting.
That's awesome! Other trucks didn't have the same problem I noticed. Like box truck #2, 3, 6, no line- no wait. I could swear my knee had more recovery issues that day because I was standing in freezing temps for 45min plus the time it took to find the gear trucks.... so I think it was about an hour total in minimal running dress. Ugh!

Thank you for volunteering for Boston! So wonderful to give up a work day Monday to help out! Thank you!!

I wish I checked DisBoards before last weekend! I did the full on Sunday, it was the coldest I have ever been in my entire life. A benefit- I couldn't feel my legs, so I didn't feel any pain or exhaustion. Found a huge blister on Monday that I didn't know about during the race. Philly really showed up, and I appreciated the huge crowd support in gale force winds and freezing temps.

The best thing I did - back when I signed up for the race this southern girl was worried about temps in Philly in the end of November. I figured the race + VIP package was less than WDW marathon registration, so I got it. We had our own gear check in a heated tent, tables and chairs (with food and beverages) in a heated tent, nice porta potties that flushed/ had real sinks/ had lights/ were heated. The bathroom line was maybe 7-10 people long before the race. I was only going to use the tent after the race until I saw the huge bathroom lines, so I made my way over. After the race they had clear panels along one side of the tent so we could watch the finish line. The tent was catered with deli meats, different breads, chili, coffee, hot chocolate, juices, and an open bar. I went to the gear/stretch tent and they put the pumped heated air right on me. But the highlight - Aliphine Tuliamuk was standing right next to the coffee and we chatted about houses, kids, and crocheting for 10-15min.

Overall it was a great weekend, and I had a 5 min PR. I will attribute some of that to not wanting to walk at the end because I was too cold to walk. My goal was the warming tents!

My DW ran the half, and she hit about her average time. But as we were home that afternoon and night, she was feeling worse and worse. I think the crazy cold just got to her. By Sunday early morning, she was really congested and looking rather out of it, so we bailed on the full. :(

Last edited:
My DW ran the half, and she hit about her average time. But as we were home that afternoon and night, she was feeling worse and worse. I think the crazy cold just got to her. My Sunday early morning, she was really congested and looking rather out of it, so we bailed on the full. :(
Hope she didn't get sick!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter