Philadelphia Marathon Weekend 2022

SheHulk

off to the (runDisney) races
Anybody want to start discussing/pump each other up?
I'm running the half only, but have a pretty aggressive time goal for me (sub-2hr). A friend very graciously agreed to travel here to pace me and I am terrified of letting him down.
I live in the city, and a lot of my training is on the course, especially the first mile or so, and the last 6 miles. When I'm feeling excited about the race I stop and take pics:

This is crossing the Chestnut Street Bridge, which you always used to cross at about Mile 7 of either the full or half, but they moved the race 1 block south last year due to bridge work and I guess they didn't move it back now that it's done. You will probably get a similar view, just from one block south:
IMG_3834.JPG

I took some pics running on Drexel's campus over the summer (on my first training run for this race actually!) We have a lot of murals along the course, and all over the city. This is about mile 8 or 9 for either the full or half, and the first hill of the course:

IMG_3831.JPG

You can google lots of pics along Kelly Drive and the Schuylkill River, the last 1.5 miles of the half course and last 4-5 miles of the full course. I took this one yesterday because it was so nice out:
IMG_3990.JPG

If anybody is running and wants to share a thread to get psyched up, here it is! I love this city, warts and all, and I think this course is beautiful. It's a great time for professional sports in Philly right now too!

I'm doing the half as well. Not sure how to dress for it! Should I think about snow/ice?

I will be there for the full! I specifically picked Philly because of the historically favorable temps - running in the 40s is my jam.

I'm doing the half as well. Not sure how to dress for it! Should I think about snow/ice?
Anything is possible... but I've never had to worry about snow and ice this weekend, I've run it a few times. It's usually in the 40's but that's shorts and t shirt weather for me if I'm racing.
I will be there for the full! I specifically picked Philly because of the historically favorable temps - running in the 40s is my jam.
This is correct. It's usually in the 40s at race start and it's luxurious. I will probably be out cheering for the full, my friend's daughter is running the full too, and it goes right by my apartment building!

Anything is possible... but I've never had to worry about snow and ice this weekend, I've run it a few times. It's usually in the 40's but that's shorts and t shirt weather for me if I'm racing.

This is correct. It's usually in the 40s at race start and it's luxurious. I will probably be out cheering for the full, my friend's daughter is running the full too, and it goes right by my apartment building!
Oh my god, you Northerners! I would be bundled up looking like Olaf. Seriously though, good luck with the Rocky Balboa half marathon!

Seriously though, good luck with the Rocky Balboa half marathon!
There is actually a Rocky branded run like a week before this one: it has a 5k and a 10 miler, and you can so them both for like the Italian Stallion Challenge or something. I've never done it because it's too close to this weekend. I know they used to have to specify on the website that the race does not in fact go up the "Rocky Stairs" (Philadelphia Museum of Art stairs)

There is actually a Rocky branded run like a week before this one: it has a 5k and a 10 miler, and you can so them both for like the Italian Stallion Challenge or something. I've never done it because it's too close to this weekend. I know they used to have to specify on the website that the race does not in fact go up the "Rocky Stairs" (Philadelphia Museum of Art stairs)
BTW I have definitely considered running this dressed like Talia Shire all frumped down as Adrian: Oversized glasses, knit hat pulled down over the ears, too-big tweed coat. Not quite committed enough to the idea to risk dying from heat stroke running 10 miles like that.

My wife did the Rocky Run once, she didn't really like it. She'd rather do the Philly weekend, which seems to be a better organized race. She is running The Liberty Bell Challenge (basically a Goofy, a half one day, a full the next). She though about The Freedom Challenge, but she thought that a half immediately filtering into an 8k on the same day, AND a full the following day was just a bit much.

My wife did the Rocky Run once, she didn't really like it. She'd rather do the Philly weekend, which seems to be a better organized race. She is running The Liberty Bell Challenge (basically a Goofy, a half one day, a full the next). She though about The Freedom Challenge, but she thought that a half immediately filtering into an 8k on the same day, AND a full the following day was just a bit much.
Yeah my friend who is pacing me in the half is doing the Patriot (not sure of the name) Challenge: He'll run the half at my pace and then kick a** in the 8k afterward. That's awesome! I'll be cheering your wife on in the full.

What up Philly Runners? Starting my peak mileage week today and I'm a little stressed... it's a busy week at work and wondering about fitting it in.
If you haven't heard, the Phillies are in the World Series so things were exciting around here yesterday! Enjoy a pic of City Hall taken on a nice chilly (40F) morning last week. The Christmas Village in Dilworth Park in front here, should be set up by Marathon Weekend.
IMG_3992.JPG

Hopefully everyone is entering Taper Town or close to it by now. Trying not to obsess about the weather but the highs are predicted in the 70s all this week? Why? Saturday and Sunday coming up (NOT race weekend) are predicted highs of 75 and 77 according to Weather Underground. It really had better start cooling off.

It is weirdly warm and humid here in DC for November too. We still have a few weeks, but the weather was much nicer for running last week!

Good luck! I hope that you crush whatever your goals are for this race.
It's a sub-2hr half which is very aggressive for me. Thanks! I'm sure I'll let everybody know.
Luckily the race isn't today, assuming you're getting the rain we're getting here in Central PA!
Raining here too, but not too hard. I'll take rain over heat/humidity.

It's a sub-2hr half which is very aggressive for me. Thanks! I'm sure I'll let everybody know.

Raining here too, but not too hard. I'll take rain over heat/humidity.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your PR? Is this gauche to ask someone their PR? I hope not. Nonetheless, I hope that the conditions are right for you to get that A-goal!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your PR? Is this gauche to ask someone their PR? I hope not. Nonetheless, I hope that the conditions are right for you to get that A-goal!
You can ask! It was a 2:05:08, and it was in May. I ran it pretty well, but probably not at really 100%. This race should be a bit cooler, and less hilly than the last one, and I have a friend pacing me. I'm going to give it my best shot! Thanks!

You can ask! It was a 2:05:08, and it was in May. I ran it pretty well, but probably not at really 100%. This race should be a bit cooler, and less hilly than the last one, and I have a friend pacing me. I'm going to give it my best shot! Thanks!
Just be careful going for sub-2:00. I stupidly was going for a POT in April for Goofy and injured myself.

Good luck to everyone next week. I'll be with you trying for a PR if it's good weather. If it's rainy.... well I've already learned from the F&W half marathon that I tend to run slower and more cautiously in the rain. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter