Pete's Solo Shows and the $10 tier

WDW_Ding

Ohana means family.
On recent podcasts, Pete and the team have mentioned Pete's "solo shows" often.

These shows (and other perks) are offered at the $10 per month Patreon tier.

I would like to listen to these solo shows, but I feel that $10 per month is a little out of line with what other podcasts charge for bonus/extra content.

For example, Dear Hank and John is a podcast that I support on Patreon. For $5 per month, they provide bonus content every week. They have 2,693 Patreon supporters.

In addition, Road Work provides bonus content nearly every week for as little as $1 a month. They have 920 Patreon supporters.

Although I do not support them on Patreon (I'm just not a fan) the Chapo Trap House provides bonus episodes every week (in addition to other things) for $5 per month. They have 28,142 supporters on Patreon and take in over $125,000 per month!

As for Disney related podcasts:

Anyhow, I'd like to suggest that The DIS reexamine the pricing of the tiers on Patreon. I feel that The DIS would get more supporters if they lowered the prices. Additionally, the prices for the tiers are (in my opinion) out-of-line with what other podcasts charge for similar content.

Not disagreeing, since I don't currently support anyone else on Patreon. or know what else is available, or the prices for same, but I have proudly supported The DIS Unplugged for about 3 years now, at the $10 level. and never felt overcharged. Just IMHO.
I agree. I’ve done the $10 tier for quite some time and never felt I was paying too much. This is also the only “bonus” type content I pay for.

Thanks for sharing and for providing some context/other data points

I feel like from the beginning the DIS team positioned their patreon as more of a way to voluntarily contribute to supplement what the team does on a regular basis and provides for free - and then just doing some other little extras. So more of a "thank you donation" than a real membership for content

so a bit of a different positioning/business model - I don't think either is right or wrong, just different

If I am being honest I will say that for a while there it felt like they weren't pushing much new to the Patreon group, but over the last few months there is a lot more content - be it's Pete's solo shows or just random photos and interactions from Ryno and Fiasco that have been posted so it felt much more like I was getting something extra for my $10 of late

I'll also just add that even when there wasn't a lot of "extra" content,. I felt comfortable knowing that my contribution was going towards supporting the day to day operations of something which put out so much free content that I (and a lot of others here) loved. And still do, although as @TheMaxRebo mentioned, there has been a lot of "extra stuff" lately, which I am also immensely enjoying, of course.

I would like to listen to these solo shows, but I feel that $10 per month is a little out of line with what other podcasts charge for bonus/extra content.

Although I do not support them on Patreon (I'm just not a fan) the Chapo Trap House provides bonus episodes every week (in addition to other things) for $5 per month.

As a Patreon supporter, I don't feel I'm being "charged" for "bonus/extra content." like others have said, I'm supporting all the podcast production(s). Patreon bonus content is just that, a bonus. To be honest, I just don't have enough video time to watch all the Patreon bonus content the DIS posts. It is much more than "2 bonus podcasts per month" or "a monthly bonus episode."

I also tend to think you sort-of answered your own question when you said you don't support a podcast which also provides bonus content at a lower "charge." (I'm not disparaging the podcast; I've never even heard of it.)

I just signed up at the $10 tier, mostly for the solo shows. I’ll be honest, $10 does seem like a bit much, but I’m going to try it for a few months. I’m also trying to look at it as supporting a show that I have loved for 10 years. If it was $5 a month, or I got more for $10 I would be all in, no hesitation.

To the OP, I respect your opinion. However, I don’t think it should be cut because a cut means a potential reduction in content. If other sites provide better or more for less, then there are many good options. The $10 was a good, comfortable level for me because of what they have provided for the last 20-years for free ...getting additional content is gravy. I’m using these boards -for FREE and in the process getting good advice, interacting in some thoughtful(mostly!) discussions, and making some friends along the way. I’m not worried about the $10 ...just my take, everyone feels differently understandably.

I have no idea how YouTube actually works but I guess I was under the impression that watching and subscribing to the channel was in and of itself a revenue stream for the channel. If a channel wants to provide additional content for a fee, I don't have a problem with it but my support will continue to come in the form of watching the various shows and subscribing on the ":free" channel.

I have no idea how YouTube actually works but I guess I was under the impression that watching and subscribing to the channel was in and of itself a revenue stream for the channel. If a channel wants to provide additional content for a fee, I don't have a problem with it but my support will continue to come in the form of watching the various shows and subscribing on the ":free" channel.
It does provide some revenue usually but takes a while to build it up. Revenue for the channel dependent on views and subscribers and YouTube takes their cut too.

I started supporting via Patreon only recently, mostly because I felt like what I was already getting was worth $10 a month, similar to supporting my public radio station. I didn't see it as being charged for extra content. The extra content is a bonus.

As it's turned out so far, Pete's solo show is definitely worth $10 a month to me--I listen to it in my car (Houston traffic = plenty of time in my car). I pay more than that a month for my audible subscription, and sometimes Pete is better than whatever book I chose that month! It appears that he puts quite a bit of effort into these, and there are more than one published a month. They are personal and insightful and interesting. Like catching up with an old friend (hope that doesn't sound creepy--I realize Pete's not my friend, but I'm trying to compare the style and content to something).

On recent podcasts, Pete and the team have mentioned Pete's "solo shows" often.

These shows (and other perks) are offered at the $10 per month Patreon tier.

For example, Dear Hank and John is a podcast that I support on Patreon. For $5 per month, they provide bonus content every week. They have 2,693 Patreon supporters.

In addition, Road Work provides bonus content nearly every week for as little as $1 a month. They have 920 Patreon supporters.

Although I do not support them on Patreon (I'm just not a fan) the Chapo Trap House provides bonus episodes every week (in addition to other things) for $5 per month. They have 28,142 supporters on Patreon and take in over $125,000 per month!

As for Disney related podcasts:

Anyhow, I'd like to suggest that The DIS reexamine the pricing of the tiers on Patreon. I feel that The DIS would get more supporters if they lowered the prices. Additionally, the prices for the tiers are (in my opinion) out-of-line with what other podcasts charge for similar content.

I'll go ahead and agree with you. If I'm being asked to join Patreon because of the extra content, then the $10 mark is a lot for what I think is available. I mean it's nice that a lot of you don't mind giving the DIS team $120 a year for support, but it's being presented as a content stream and $10 is not a good price point. That's almost Netflix/Hulu level.

Let's take out all the emotion and be honest for a second, this isn't just a group of random people on the internet creating content that need patreon support to keep going. This is a show run and operated by people who also own and operate a fairly large Disney travel agency. It's a business, and if they want my money they have to hit the right price point (for me).

Last edited:
I’ve had fun reading the responses to this so far. I have just a few quick thoughts to add, based on the feedback thus far:

• Many have mentioned that the DIS team gives away this content “for free”, but I don’t really see it that way. The Podcasts promote Dreams Unlimited Travel and other sponsors (like the candle company that is currently sponsoring the show). These boards are here to promote Dreams Unlimited Travel too.
  • I am very happy to support The DIS. I listen to the podcasts and watch the YouTube channel. I use these boards as well. I try to patronize the sponsors of The DIS as best as I can.
Lastly, many of us are “price sensitive”, with regard to what we can spend money on each month. I believe there are lots of people out there that would love to support The DIS *directly* via Patreon, but simply cannot afford the $10 per month, especially for the content the $10 unlocks relative to the content other podcasts provide for less money. Additionally, $10 a month can buy you Spotify, Apple Music, Hulu, or Netflix. All of those provide so much content...far more than the extra content offered by the DIS Patreon.

I don’t want anyone to take this the wrong way. I’m a fan of all of the good work The DIS and Pete create. I just believe that the $10 tier is too expensive, especially compared to some of the other things I have mentioned here and in my original post.

My only goal is to encourage The DIS to reevaluate the price of their tiers on Patreon and to make adjustments.

I’ve had fun reading the responses to this so far. I have just a few quick thoughts to add, based on the feedback thus far:

• Many have mentioned that the DIS team gives away this content “for free”, but I don’t really see it that way. The Podcasts promote Dreams Unlimited Travel and other sponsors (like the candle company that is currently sponsoring the show). These boards are here to promote Dreams Unlimited Travel too.
  • I am very happy to support The DIS. I listen to the podcasts and watch the YouTube channel. I use these boards as well. I try to patronize the sponsors of The DIS as best as I can.
Lastly, many of us are “price sensitive”, with regard to what we can spend money on each month. I believe there are lots of people out there that would love to support The DIS *directly* via Patreon, but simply cannot afford the $10 per month, especially for the content the $10 unlocks relative to the content other podcasts provide for less money. Additionally, $10 a month can buy you Spotify, Apple Music, Hulu, or Netflix. All of those provide so much content...far more than the extra content offered by the DIS Patreon.

I don’t want anyone to take this the wrong way. I’m a fan of all of the good work The DIS and Pete create. I just believe that the $10 tier is too expensive, especially compared to some of the other things I have mentioned here and in my original post.

My only goal is to encourage The DIS to reevaluate the price of their tiers on Patreon and to make adjustments.
The boards existed before Dreams did.

Not all of the content they do promotes Dreams. It is free content. Dreams sponsors the show, the show doesn't sponsor Dreams. I am sure they have gotten people to book through them because of the show.

I get what you are saying but I don't think they see a need to reevaluate the tiers otherwise they likely would've done it already. I think they are fair.

I don't think you're wrong - though I see it more as investing in a show I like and it helps them upgrade their equipment faster and provide more content ... be it to Patreons or everyone - it helps them improve their product. I also see it almost like a winery club or even D23 where there is value, to some people, of being "part of the group" beyond the actual content you get in return.

But everyone needs to decide if they feel it is a good use of your $10/month - and your examples of other podcasts I think are relevant and maybe something they will take into consideration

Not disagreeing, since I don't currently support anyone else on Patreon. or know what else is available, or the prices for same, but I have proudly supported The DIS Unplugged for about 3 years now, at the $10 level. and never felt overcharged. Just IMHO.

I have supported a few other causes/LLC's via Patreon so I have a very small baseline of comparison. I think the content at the $10 is fair. However, you must be a dedicated fan of the DIS team and content, holistically, to be a worthy expenditure in my opinion. I did try it for a short period of time, and was appreciative of the staff's efforts, but felt it didn't meet my particular expectations. I'm not wrong or cynical, but maybe too judicial.

I encourage all fans of the DIS to try the Patreon level and determine, for themselves, if the content warrants the investment.

I agree. I’ve done the $10 tier for quite some time and never felt I was paying too much. This is also the only “bonus” type content I pay for.

Respectfully, aren't they also your employer? I could be wrong, and usually am, but wondering if this demonstrates full transparency? Oh, I'm not at all suggesting that the $10 level isn't fully justified.

If I invited Pete and his team to my home in Central FL, setup an in-home studio, I'm quite sure I'd be inquiring about a $20/month Patreon donation to cover my media/internet/electrical/staff costs (direct and indirect labor). Seems perfectly fair to me.

Respectfully, aren't they also your employer? I could be wrong, and usually am, but wondering if this demonstrates full transparency? Oh, I'm not at all suggesting that the $10 level isn't fully justified.

If I invited Pete and his team to my home in Central FL, setup an in-home studio, I'm quite sure I'd be inquiring about a $20/month Patreon donation to cover my media/internet/electrical/staff costs (direct and indirect labor). Seems perfectly fair to me.
No they do not employee me really. I am a volunteer as a mod. I do write articles but that is something open to anyone who applies and is paid per article.

No they do not employee me really. I am a volunteer as a mod. I do write articles but that is something open to anyone who applies and is paid per article.

I am in the process of compiling a business plan at this time that encompasses a paid staff. If things come to fruition, I look forward to this August at the Contemporary Resort to further gauge interest.

The boards existed before Dreams did.

Not all of the content they do promotes Dreams. It is free content. Dreams sponsors the show, the show doesn't sponsor Dreams. I am sure they have gotten people to book through them because of the show.

I get what you are saying but I don't think they see a need to reevaluate the tiers otherwise they likely would've done it already. I think they are fair.

Brand awareness friend. Brand awareness. Everything about these sites are tied together for brand awareness. They've created an ecosystem of Disney expertise that promote products and services. It's a valuable commodity and the fact they are promoting Disboards, Dreams, Candles, DVC while also launching a new newsletter and being aggressive in cultivating it. Toss in all the social media they do along with the vlogs etc you get a very nicely put together brand.

It's free content just like a show on NBC is a free show. And the boards being around before Dreams doesn't really make a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter