Perennials or Annual flowers.... Which do you plant. looking for suggestions for a new garden bed.

Our garden is mostly perennial but we do have annuals for filling in places. Oh, and vegetables. We are in 6A.

Ironically, the south side of our property is the shady side due to the trees in the back of the house, so we have a shady "woodland" garden back there, and the front and side are all to part sun.

View attachment 674658View attachment 674659
View attachment 674660View attachment 674661

There are also tender perennials that we have to lift and replant, and then there are tulips, which never, ever, ever come back for us.
Gorgeous!

I have a mix. I guess at this point mostly perennials. Ones I can think of in the yard include daffodils, wood hyacinths, iris, bleeding heart, daylilies, sweet peas, coreopsis, dahlias (can’t stay in the ground here over winter), heliopsis, feverfew, tradescantia, phlox, salvia, hostas, candytuft, opuntia and hellebores.

Ones that I can think of out there that can spread and get out of hand are lily of the valley, periwinkle, Chinese lanterns and mugwort. In April I started digging out all of the last two and am only keeping a few in pots.

Also consider what animals might like to dine on in your area. And look into native species to help out the birds and insects. Most of the plants I have are decades old now and many are not native.

We're in zone 3, so a little colder than you're area. I find daylilies do really well, hydrangea (I love limelight), and I just planted a rose this year and so far it seems to be doing well. I love perennials because they come back every year, at least they should!,lol Hostas are also great for filling in places close to the border of your flower garden as they lay low. I love gardening and going out every day to water and care for our plants. I find it very relaxing.

So, I got sucked into on sale geraniums LOL can't resist mark downs, added in some impatiens, marigolds, and verbena... this will allow me color and time to think about perennials later on (when they go on sale) .... in the meantime I put in a nice hydrangea... and some dianthus. pics to come once the rain stops

I have a mix. I guess at this point mostly perennials. Ones I can think of in the yard include daffodils, wood hyacinths, iris, bleeding heart, daylilies, sweet peas, coreopsis, dahlias (can’t stay in the ground here over winter), heliopsis, feverfew, tradescantia, phlox, salvia, hostas, candytuft, opuntia and hellebores.

Ones that I can think of out there that can spread and get out of hand are lily of the valley, periwinkle, Chinese lanterns and mugwort. In April I started digging out all of the last two and am only keeping a few in pots.

Also consider what animals might like to dine on in your area. And look into native species to help out the birds and insects. Most of the plants I have are decades old now and many are not native.
wild animals are not nearly the terror that my chickens can be.

I plant a lovely garden... then have to surround it with ugly fencing to keep the girls out.

I'm in Vermont and have shaded and sunny garden beds. I do all perennials. Hosta's love the shade and you can plant them under trees. I love daylilies because they get fuller and fuller every year and you can buy so many different varieties that bloom at different times. We have peonies everywhere in both sun and shaded areas. They are beautiful! I love the oriental lilies for beauty and fragrance. Right now I'm trying to figure out what plants bloom when so I can have flowers all summer long. This is still a work in progress. Annuals like mostly full sun, so I'm limited for space. I like the fact that I don't have to fuss with planting annuals every spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter