Paula Deen racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Food Network went a bit too far in letting her go. She was so popular with the fans, I hope this comes back to bite Food Network in the backside. To hold her feet to the fire for something that happened over 30 years ago in her home is insane. Paula did the right thing she owned it and apologized.

The restaurant incidents happened in 2010.

Well not as much outrage as there was over "Hymie town" which is still being brought up 30 years later.

I remember when the whole Hymie town thing happened and no one where I lived had a clue what it meant. In Texas, you hear that word and you think "Jaime," a Spanish name. Prejudice and discrimination exist everywhere and every ethnic group has its fair share.

I remember when the whole Hymie town thing happened and no one where I lived had a clue what it meant. In Texas, you hear that word and you think "Jaime," a Spanish name. Prejudice and discrimination exist everywhere and every ethnic group has its fair share.

Right but you heard about then so obviously it outraged people -- it was national news. And ever since then pretty much anytime a national figure says something racist someone will scream, "what about Hymie town"?

And I think black people have and still have much more than their "fair" share.

I don't think Paula Deen has been a "nationally loved" personality since it became public that the foods that she promotes caused her diabetes. She then she hid that illness and continued to promote her foods until she found a pharmaceutical company willing to pay her to pimp their drugs. It was completely unethical.

She is a twit all the way around.

Well, yea, then there's that. She is quite easily hateable for a number of reasons.

People should be more upset about this, I think. She's killing people with her food. Sadly, that's still allowed and protected as a right.

That's not all this was about. In fact, the one incident 30 yrs ago really had little to do with the firing. The restaurant incidents were much more recent.

ETA- accidentally left off the quote. This is in response to jen77

I've never used the N word. Even when trying to convey a story about when somebody else said the N word. I just can't get it to come out of my mouth. It feels so dirty, hateful, ignorant and wrong.

There isn't a defense for the use of the word.

I am totally with you. I am not saying I've never used it, as I may have repeated it before I realized what it was. But, now, even if I am reading something out loud or repeating a story, I say "the n word." I can't bring myself to say it.

That said, my problem with it, is this is a very dangerous precedent. I mean, if everyone can be judged over saying a word or something 20, 30, 40 years ago, who among us would be exempt?

The person who runs the local exterminator's business used to call me "Cat licker" every day on the bus. Should he be judged as "anti Catholic" now, all these years later? I don't think so, no.

If you don't listen to hip hop or Jamie Foxx JayZ types you can avoid it, though. I don't even know a song by them.

Plus, so much music is dubbed and edited...music is very explicit nowadays. Just because you may not hear it, doesn't mean anything...they are playing an edited version on the radio.

Sadly, it is to the point where I automatically add "clean version" to any song I am looking for. I could be looking for "The Wheels on the Bus" and I would probably instinctively add "clean version."

I'm guessing you're one of those people who also asks "Why isn't there a WHITE history month?"

We should celebrate without regard to race.

Black history month and other months are more than imperfect solutions, I believe they keep racism alive. I don't think a persons race should even be mentioned unless its somehow pertinent to the lesson being taught, this is the same as hyphenated Americans, your american or your not. The sooner people stop recognizing separated months and groups the sooner it'll be a lesson in history.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I yearn for a post-racial society, but I doubt I will see it in my lifetime. People like Jesse Owens, George Washington Carver, and Daniel Hale Williams, weren't just great black Americans. They were great Americans, period. It is sad to me that they only seem to be honored during "Black History Month" and quite frankly, when people mention their race, it makes me cringe, because it makes me feel like they are being reduced to their race, which in my mind is no better than negative racism.

A couple of examples: the other day I was talking about Star Trek...now, when I grew up watching ST, I never saw Lt Uhura as some transcendent figure in history. Likewise, I never saw here as "just the black lady that answered the space phone" as some people did/do. I never saw her as anything other than just another crew member on the Enterprise. I loved her and she kicked butt, but her race never figured into what I thought about her. For some people, it does.

Another thing: President Obama. To me, I don't look at him as a black President. To me, he is just the President. Now, many other people view him as a black President, for better for worse. Some people don't like him because he is black. Other people only like him because he is black. To me, both are equally wrong, as both reduce the man to the color of his skin, like I said, for better or for worse.

A friend of mine wouldn't watch The West Wing, because there were no people of color on the Senior Staff (despite arguably the most powerful person in the military, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs being a black man). The exact words were that they would not watch a show about "a bunch of white guys." To me, that is every bit as racist as the racism they were claiming about the show.

Like I said, some people just aren't there yet. I hoped that the election of President Obama would accelerate the path toward a post-racial society, but so far, that has not been the case.

Technically, that hasn't happened to anyone's daddy, unless they are a hundred and fifty years old.

To someone's ancestors, yes it did happen. And not just to blacks, Read about the Mormon Execution Order which wasn't officially rescinded until 1976. Japanese Internment camps- and there you will find peoplebwho are still alive today who's "daddy's" were dragged out of bed. History is alive with unjustice. The difference is if you continue to let it define you.

:worship:

Just chiming in....The n word is not only used in the hip hop world, it is used every single day by black youths in conversation with each other. It is okay for black youths to call whites numerous names & each other the n word. I hear it every single day in the public school setting.

Yes, I can attest to that. I have seen and heard it repeatedly. I have actually heard a white person use it to call another white person.

No offense, but one example in a 300 year history? Are you kidding?

It is not a competition, nor should we be comparing.

I would never ever belittle the horror that other people's ancestors went through, whether they be black, Jewish, Japanese, Native Americans...

Torture is torture. Racism is racism. Death is death. It is absolutely wrong when it happens to anyone. And don't fool yourself: it has happened to every ethnicity, every religion, every nationality.

People should be more upset about this, I think. She's killing people with her food. Sadly, that's still allowed and protected as a right.

Ok, Paula has never been a favourite of mine, and I can understand from a PR point of view why the Food Network turfed her out the door.

But now she's killing people?? She's having them forcibly confined and is shovelling her food down their throats against their will?? The nerve of that woman! For her sake I'm glad this is not a hanging offense.

Just chiming in....The n word is not only used in the hip hop world, it is used every single day by black youths in conversation with each other. It is okay for black youths to call whites numerous names & each other the n word. I hear it every single day in the public school setting.

We will never fix the racial divide in this country if people don't stop throwing the past into the faces of others that had NOTHING to do with it. It will forever remain the same.
Yes, I have to say I hear black boys in school calling each other racial slurs on a daily basis, even in friendly tones! When I call them on it, which I do fairly often, they laugh and say it's fine. It's hard to think they're overly concerned about racism or are even aware of the generations who came before them when they address one another in such insulting terms.

I'm not sure why people don't see a difference between African Americans calling each other the N word in a brotherly tone versus a non African using it in a derogatory setting.

If Paula was just quoting some hip hop lyrics she likes, that's one thing. But context is everything. Look at the rest of the story. A planation themed wedding? Saying professional black men aren't "the N word"?

There's a obvious difference. I don't know if people don't understand that or are just being obtuse.

I'm not sure why people don't see a difference between African Americans calling each other the N word in a brotherly tone versus a non African using it in a derogatory setting.

If Paula was just quoting some hip hop lyrics she likes, that's one thing. But context is everything. Look at the rest of the story. A planation themed wedding? Saying professional black men aren't "the N word"?

There's a obvious difference. I don't know if people don't understand that or are just being obtuse.

Exactly. A plantation themed wedding. That's disturbing on so many levels...

Yes, I have to say I hear black boys in school calling each other racial slurs on a daily basis, even in friendly tones! When I call them on it, which I do fairly often, they laugh and say it's fine. It's hard to think they're overly concerned about racism or are even aware of the generations who came before them when they address one another in such insulting terms.
I hear it too. I also hear young girls calling each other ***** and biotch. all the time too. Their friends..they call their friends *****. My DD does not do it and neither do my nieces but I see it from other girls I know on FB all the time. I just do not get it.

I do see the difference. I just do not "get" the difference. I just do not understand why it is OK for them to say it but no one else is allowed. I do not want to use it but I still do not understand why, if it is such a horrible word, that it is OK for blacks to use it. Earlier in this thread RobinRS said she does not agree with it. So obviously it seems OK to some but not to others. I think we'd all do better if there was consistency. Just like my example above. Since when is it OK for girls to refer to each others as *****? That just seems so wrong to me.

I think Food Network went a bit too far in letting her go. She was so popular with the fans, I hope this comes back to bite Food Network in the backside. To hold her feet to the fire for something that happened over 30 years ago in her home is insane. Paula did the right thing she owned it and apologized.

Welcome to the Disboards, Jen77. Do you by any chance know happygirl? She's also named Jenny. Same age as you as well. And also appears to be a big fan of Ms. Deen. What a coincidence!

I hear it too. I also hear young girls calling each other ***** and biotch. all the time too. Their friends..they call their friends *****. My DD does not do it and neither do my nieces but I see it from other girls I know on FB all the time. I just do not get it.

I do see the difference. I just do not "get" the difference. I just do not understand why it is OK for them to say it but no one else is allowed. I do not want to use it but I still do not understand why, if it is such a horrible word, that it is OK for blacks to use it. Earlier in this thread RobinRS said she does not agree with it. So obviously it seems OK to some but not to others. I think we'd all do better if there was consistency. Just like my example above. Since when is it OK for girls to refer to each others as *****? That just seems so wrong to me.

I would say the difference is intention. That being said, anyone can use what ever words they want - but those words reflect what kind of person you are. Personally, I find the N word to be a hateful, ugly word, so I don't use it. If I hear someone use the word, I'm smart enough to understand the difference between 2 teenage friends using the word to each other and someone using it in a hateful way. If the friends don't mind, it doesn't bother me, if someone uses it in a derogatory way, it bothers me.

I guess it's like this: at times I felt my kids are being little ****s, and I referred to to them as little ****s to my husband. But, if anyone else called my kids that, I would year them apart .

Maybe, just maybe, blacks calling each other the n-word takes away some of the power behind that awful word. Up until a few years ago, the n-word had a lot more power and laws behind it.

But, I'm white. So. I have no idea what it's like to be called the n-word.

Aaagghh!! I'll probably get this wrong, but here goes. My family is mostly Scottish. There's a long standing joke about Scots being cheap, or frugal, as some prefer to call it. Amongst ourselves it's fine to call each other out on being a cheap B+++++++. But if someone outside the group did it, it would take on a different, potentially offensive meaning. It's a very imperfect parallel to the way I view blacks being able to call each other the N word. If we own it, it loses it's offensive power. When someone else invokes it, it's offensive.

Last time I checked, she wasn't holding a gun to anyone to make them eat her food. Do you ever drink? Using that logic, liquor and wine producers are killing people also. I mean we have alcoholics and people with liver disease brought on by too much alcohol.

Personal responsibility people, that is all it takes. But it is easier to blame someone for your short comings.

I just do not "get" the difference. I just do not understand why it is OK for them to say it but no one else is allowed. /QUOTE]

The difference is that when that word comes from a white person, it is a weapon. In the Black community, many kids use a form of the word to diffuse it, to take away its power. Which is their right to do. It's not too different from a similar word that gay men use with each other.

I just do not "get" the difference. I just do not understand why it is OK for them to say it but no one else is allowed. /QUOTE]

The difference is that when that word comes from a white person, it is a weapon. In the Black community, many kids use a form of the word to diffuse it, to take away its power. Which is their right to do. It's not too different from a similar word that gay men use with each other.

Wrong is wrong, the word shouldn't be used PERIOD. I think it is wrong when it is used in the black community. IF what you say is true and it is used to take away power, then that power is so defused it could never be brought back to life. I say go after the creeps dong the rap and preaching the N word and violence towards women, that seems to get over looked, yet a woman who used this word while being robbed with a gun in her face is wrong. WOW.

ETA, How is it their right? This is perpetuating racism. One race can do something, but another race can't. Call me confused, but this is just really out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter