Partner doesn’t like Disney?

Pdollar88

DIS Veteran
Wondering if other folks have advice or experience with a partner who doesn’t like Disney.

I’m an ex-cast member and really passionate about Disney. I’ll have an AP for the foreseeable future.

He agreed to go to WDW in March and enjoyed it a lot more than he thought he would. It didn’t quite have my hoped for effect of igniting a fire in him to want to go back. He’s back to being noncommittal and apathetic about it.

So how do you balance your loves with your partner’s? I’m facing a question and compromise I hadn’t want to - go to Disney less, go solo, find other vacation destinations I’m not as excited about?

Lastly, this makes me feel a bit isolated. I’m still the some Disney fanatic I know. I’d love to chat with others or have a meetup with fellow fans.

Go on your own or with friends who also love Disney?

Love does not mean you share all the same interests:).

That’s my current plan! I just worry that I should reallocate some of my spending to be on something we can both enjoy.

He also doesn’t really like it when I even talk about my Disney plans. Which I get if he’s involved in the trip, but sometimes I’m just talking about stuff I want to do or am interested in.

I have the same issue as you, however have learned to accept it, and understand it might actually be a good thing to have different interests.

Fortunately, I have other friends and family who love Disney, therefore it is not a difficult thing to discuss WDW trip planning or watch/discuss movies.

If I may ask, do you live in an area where there are a ton of Disney fans? I live in Southeastern PA where there is a HUGE WDW and Disney fan base, and therefore never really have this problem of, "your going to Disney again" or "aren't you a little to old for Disney World".

Therefore, the only real big problem I have is a desire to go to the parks more, but since he is not really interested, I can't justify the large spending on my own.

Maybe you could do a trip which is half Disney/ half something else? I am thinking about a Disney cruise, even though they are extremely expensive. That might be a good way to still be in the Disney bubble, while not necessarily ensconced in it.

Also, listening to the podcasts and spending time on these boards is a great way to stay connected and discuss a wide variety of topics!

If I may ask, do you live in an area where there are a ton of Disney fans? I live in Southeastern PA where there is a HUGE WDW and Disney fan base, and therefore never really have this problem of, "your going to Disney again" or "aren't you a little to old for Disney World".

Therefore, the only real big problem I have is a desire to go to the parks more, but since he is not really interested, I can't justify the large spending on my own.

Maybe you could do a trip which is half Disney/ half something else? I am thinking about a Disney cruise, even though they are extremely expensive. That might be a good way to still be in the Disney bubble, while not necessarily ensconced in it.

Also, listening to the podcasts and spending time on these boards is a great way to stay connected and discuss a wide variety of topics!

Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it very much. I live in North Carolina, which I think must have a Disney fan base. I just don’t know where it is lol!

I suggested a cruise or trying a different park (thinking Disneyland would lend itself more to other sight seeing). Lukewarm on both fronts, but maybe he’ll come around. I still think the cruise idea will stick - no real plans, just eating and lounging for a few days? Come on!

I’ve been haunting the forums and beating podcasts to death, but they are helpful.

Thank you again for your kind response!

Oh my, I'm so sorry. I was going to say that I'm in a similar position. I have only traveled to WDW and gone on a DCL cruise without my wife, but that is because I was traveling with another lesbian friend. I'm not dating her, but she's my go-to Disney buddy!

That said- I just won the Frozen lottery for tomorrow's Broadway performance and my wife actually agreed to go! I was surprised because she usually is not into Disney at all. If there's hope for me- there's hope for you too!

I live in NYC, where almost everyone I know scorns Disney as more "Middle America." I disagree, but I've realized that my true friends don't care that I like Disney as much as I do!

Luckily for me my partner is a Disney fan too. Disney is such a big part of my life i feel like it would be a dealbreaker.

It’s been hard lately. I don’t know if I’d call it a dealbreaker yet, but it’s definitely more difficult than I’d imagined.

Last edited:
My husband didn't really care as much about Disney as I did, still doesn't. But now that we have kids he agrees it's the best vacation for our family and shows more enthusiasm. As long as your partner doesn't complain and willing to spend time with you and have fun. Enjoy it.

It’s been hard lately. I don’t know if I’d call it a dealbreaker yet, but it’s definiteky more difficult than I’d imagined.
For me it would be more that I wouldn’t get into a relationship with somebody who wasn’t into Disney. It’s one of the common ground things I feel that I need in my relationships. That and video games haha!

For me it would be more that I wouldn’t get into a relationship with somebody who wasn’t into Disney. It’s one of the common ground things I feel that I need in my relationships. That and video games haha!

Fair enough! We have some major things in common that I won’t go into. Disney is just a bit more important to me than I thought.

Last edited:
My honey hates to travel unless it's a dive trip, hates crowds, hates the heat, hates walking, hates exotic food, hates rides and theme parks and is basically as grumpy old man. I love all of the above so I go places solo. He stays at home and enjoys the time without me and I get to travel and not hear him complaining. My son loves Disney and goes with me as often as he can but he is grown and has his own life. We are actually in the process of getting ready to buy a RV and honey has said he will camp at Disney but he won't do all the silliness my son and I do and he probably won't go to the parks very much. We have a little dog that can't be boarded so not leaving her alone for any long period of time is his excuse. I'm fine with travelling solo or with my son, I work and have my own income and I'm not depriving him of anything he might want to do otherwise so it works for us.

My boyfriend is the exact opposite of me -- he dislikes Disney as much as I like it. That being said, when we go to WDW I usually bring my best friend along with us so she and I can run around the parks while he can hang out by the pool or take things easy (which he prefers) with the option of meeting up if he wants.

Recently, we took our first Disney Cruise and I HIGHLY recommend this for situations like yours/ours. The cruise provides enough Disney opportunities for big fans but also allows quite a bit of non-Disney activities and options for non-fans. Plus the ports are usually fun in their own right to keep both parties happy. We both really enjoyed the Disney cruise (even having tried other companies in the past) and look forward to taking another one in the future.

So my husband and I actually just cancelled a trip to Disneyland because he said he didn't really care about going and I didn't want to drag him around on a trip he wasn't interested in. I think an important thing to do is figure out how to best vacation together, because you never know what you'll find! Maybe start by looking for places that still have *some* Disney magic, but aren't an outright Disney property. You could go to New York City, visit the Times Square Disney Store, and see one of the Disney shows on Broadway (there are I think three? soon to be five if they do buy Fox). My husband and I are going to San Francisco instead of Disneyland, and while I have to say I'm really not looking forward to the overall trip, we will be visiting the Walt Disney Family Museum and that's what's keeping me interested. If you do more trips like these, he may be more willing to go to WDW when you do go, since it's not the only place you're visiting.

However, my husband does like Disney and Disney World, so I don't really have the same problem. Disneyland just isn't happening because they've closed a lot of what he was interested in to make way for all the Pixar stuff they're doing this summer, so we probably won't be going until there's new stuff to do that is more "Disney" than one of the "Acquisitions." If we even go at all, we're in New England and this very well may be the only time we go all the way out to CA.

I'm lucky to where we both enjoy Disney...I'm probably a bigger fan of it than him however. Of course as long as there is Pokemon Go, he doesn't mind the long lines and walking everywhere, so that makes it easier. LOL

My partner likes Disney and we go every year but I’m beginning to think he likes the idea of Disney more than actually being in the parks. I do all of the planning and I’m definitely more excited when we get there and I can stay in the parks form morning till night. Lately he doesn’t even go on most of the rides so I find myself riding solo. I always say I am going to alone one year but feel bad leaving him home alone. I need to find some Disney friends to travel with.

Mine likes it, but gets very frustrated very very quickly with almost everything in the parks. I just got back from a solo trip to WDW for that reason.

He'd honestly rather sleep til noon, take an hour to eat, another half hour to shower and get ready and then get into the park around 2. And then walk onto each attraction with no line, eat at a sit down restaurant without reservations and...well, you can see how this goes, right?

I did two tours in 3 park days, all attractions, all shows, all parades, all movies, all fireworks/nighttime shows...with only one blister on my feet...in the middle of a week of rain. I consider that a plus.

I'm always looking for new Disney friends, especially in the PNW.

Well, we are booked to go in September. Being that we go every year, I ease up a little each year and become less of a Disney Nazi and don't feel the need to do everything. I do want to go one time with someone that has the same Disney enthusiasm as me to see what type of experience that will be.

Well, we are booked to go in September. Being that we go every year, I ease up a little each year and become less of a Disney Nazi and don't feel the need to do everything. I do want to go one time with someone that has the same Disney enthusiasm as me to see what type of experience that will be.

I’ll be there in September too! My partner just yesterday said he didn’t know if he wanted to go back until 2020. I said we’d talk about it later - that he also didn’t want to go this year, but had a good time. :)

Also, it’s pretty magical to do with someone who matches your Disney enthusiasm.

Last edited:
I’ll be there in September too! My partner just yesterday said he didn’t know if wanted to go back until 2020. I said we’d talk about it later - that he also didn’t want to go this year, but had a good time. :)

Also, it’s oretty magical to do with someone who matches your Disney enthusiasm.
That's great. I also thought about not going back until some of the parks construction was done in 2020 but one of the perks of going as adults with no kids is that we can go during the slow period which just happens to be when they offer the best promotions but after Star Wars opens there probably wont be a slow period for awhile and there might not be any good promotions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!