Park shoe recommendation

I haven't encountered rain yet (lucky!), but I'm realizing now, your point about the soggy cushioning is a good thing to think about when considering footwear for WDW.

Yes, the Sanuk flip flops were really bad when they got soaked. I'm realizing this can be any shoe. Running shoes feel terrible when soaking wet. However, the flip flop made squishing sounds and just squeezed out water with every step. Probably pretty funny. They are comfortable flip flops, though. At least its not a cold rain in summer, so there are positives! Always bring more than one shoe on the trip for this reason, being able to wear dry shoes later because sometimes a pair may take an entire day or two to dry.

Sneakers always. Personal fave is Nike Air Max Tailwind. Lightweight, breathable, and most importantly BROKEN-IN (Or blisters will occur). Don't buy the week before the trip. Get them at least a month before and walk in them as much as possible in the month leading up to the trip. I also take a pair of nice flip flops for water rides or rain in my backpack every day.

To the previous posters whose Crocs soles are slipping on wet terrain - be sure your Crocs soles are not worn down and smooth. I had the same issue and researched it and realized the Crocs I was wearing were too worn on the sole. I bought a new pair for the next time and didn't have the same issues - it rained a fair amount too!

Another fan of Keens here. I wear the Venice but have to go up a half size. Super-comfy and the prices can be pretty good on Amazon if you don't mind colors from previous seasons.

I have feet problems and my Go Walks are wearing down (wore them for last Disney trip 2.5 years ago...). Now an having issues with my little toe again and even new Go Walks (3 or 4) aren't as comfortable.

So then I started looking at open toed shoes. The lady suggested birkenstock, but I wonder
  1. How do they do in the heat?
  2. Can you stay in them for long periods of time? They seem harder underneath so not sure if they would get uncomfortable?

I only wear Birks in the park, have for years!!! I love the. Make sure to try the soft footbed version, they require much less break in time and are much cushier than the regular ones. I have 6 or 7 pairs :-). I have terrible trouble with my toes and heels getting killed by my shoes, so Birks are my lifeline.
They are fine in the heat, not so much in the wet. They should not get wet, but in Disney they do. They take FOREVER to dry!!! But I have had them drenched and they do survive, I am still wearing them.

On another note for this thread, as I wrote above only Birks have ever worked for me, due to the toe and heel rubbing issues. But we just went to England in April, and I knew Birks wouldn't work in that weather. I bought a pair of Skechers running shoes (the exact name escapes me right now) and I was so nervous to wear them for so long. But we walked miles and miles each day for 13 days, and not once did I ever have a shoe issue. No rubbing anywhere, I was amazed!!!

I wear Teva Mush flip flops almost exclusively at the parks. I have flat feet, so any kind of shoe with strong arch support (Chacos and Vionic, I'm looking at you) are super uncomfortable. Tennis shoes in hot weather make my feel break out in itchy hives, so those are out, too.

I go all day every day for a week in my Teva Mush flip flops, though, with no troubles!

I'm going to look into those Teva shoes. I need arch support and wear Vionic loafers a lot at work.

You're likely in the wrong size. A properly sized walking/running shoe paired with non cotton socks should not cause blisters.

If you have weak feet/ankles/achilles wearing sandals could cause some serious foot pain if you're not used to walking a 10K to half marathon per day in those shoes.

Glad they work for you...find a good park shoe is very important to a good trip.

For anyone who wants to go the sneaker route, I HIGHLY suggest your local specialty running store. Not a box store like Dick's Sporting Goods or Academy. Not only can they examine your stride and gait to recommend the best shoe for your and your purposes but they can suggest the correct size(s) and give you a few options that are for you.

Shoes are like cars. Not all Toyotas are the same (Tundra, Camry, Rav 4) and not all Asics, New Balance are the same. The shoe brand is largely irrelevant and the model shoe is what is important to the individual.

You are probably right, as a runner I have learned to always go up a size in sneakers to prevent problems.

I always like to read these threads as I always have a tough time finding comfy shoes. I have sensitive feet I guess. My favorites have been Teva mush flip flops, Merrell slip on athletic shoes or Keen sandals. My last trip I wore these:
313dI4h62mL._SX395_.jpg

They are Fit Flops, not the cutest so it was tough at first. :p But OMG, my feet never felt tired! Never got any blisters. They were amazing and I ended up wearing them every day. I am now saving these for WDW only. :lovestruc I found them at TJ Maxx for a great price. However, I would pay $$ for them, they are that amazing!

i wish I could find some comfrotable shoes for a lot of walking when in the parks. My problem is my wide feet. Every time I see a pair I think would work, they never have extra-wide.

I would love to find a nice pair of comfortable sandals. I have some SAS sansals but they get uncomfrtable if ai walk in them a lot.

I have extremely wide feet and find it difficult to find footwear wide enough. I mostly wear Birkenstocks, although getting those wide enough has become a problem for me lately. It seems even Birks are now becoming narrower. Ugh! there soon won't be anything left that I can wear!

I purchased a pair of Mephistos recently, which claimed to be wide, but the heels are not as wide as my heels and I believe that they are supposed to be a little wider for your heel to fit into the heel 'cup'. *Sigh* I am sad because they are both beautiful and comfortable even though i overhang them a little. I am considering keeping them to wear around the house to see if I can break them in enough to be able to wear down the edges and still wear them.
Now that Birkenstocks are narrow, I am afraid that I won't be able to find shoes to fit anywhere....

I have feet problems and my Go Walks are wearing down (wore them for last Disney trip 2.5 years ago...). Now an having issues with my little toe again and even new Go Walks (3 or 4) aren't as comfortable.

So then I started looking at open toed shoes. The lady suggested birkenstock, but I wonder
  1. How do they do in the heat?
  2. Can you stay in them for long periods of time? They seem harder underneath so not sure if they would get uncomfortable?

If you don't have wide feet, Birkenstocks are a dream to wear. I can wear them day and night in WDW or anywhere without my feet getting tired. You do have to break them in first, but once you do they are even better than barefoot. Wonderful in the heat, wonderful on concrete, just plain wonderful footwear. (You do need something else for in the rain, however.) If you do have wide feet, try to find a wide pair of Birks. They are a lifesaver, just becoming a rare find.

Mephistos are also good if they fit the width of your foot. They also contour to your foot (like Birks), but are softer while breaking in.

I went out this weekend trying on sandals. I think the Teva Verras are going to be perfect for me, seems they have great arch support. I wanted to try a couple more before buying, but so far I like them the most. Love my Teva Mush flip flops, but I don't think they would be good for all day. I will also have several pair of shoes with me because changing them up always helps so much.
Teva Mush saved my vacation about 4 years ago. i wore sneakers the first day and developed a HUGE blister. I ended up wearing the Tevas the rest of the trip and loved them! Crocs Patricia worked for me too! I've been wearing Skechers lately but haven't tried them for long distance park walking yet!

Bumping for more input.

Looking at the Keen Newport H2. Has anyone worn these with thin little socks?

The Chaco sandal Z1 classic seemed a little hard on the footbed, but I like the idea of minimal straps.

I wear the Keen Newport in grey, and I don't wear socks to Disney World. But I have worn the thin low no-show socks with them camping in autumn weather. I have grey socks so that they don't stand out.

Last edited:
My go-to Disney shoes are Keen Newport, especially for Kali River Rapids. They are very comfortable. Fortunately, I have small feet so they are still "cute" on. I bought them for my husband too. I like the Newport on men, better than the Venice.

I also wear my Minnie Mouse Vans with no-show socks. They are very comfortable and cute. But I won't wear them to AK.

I can't imagine wearing open-toed shoes in Disney World parks.

My kids still wear Crocs. Definitely the best all-around shoe. So easy to wipe dry if they get wet.

I just got a couple pairs of new shoes for our trip next week. My trusty Skechers Go Walk 2s and Merrells are very worn after wearing them for the past few years, so it was time. I got a pair of Ecco Yucatan, and Skechers Go Walk 4. The Eccos are crazy comfortable right out of the box are are likely the ones I'll wear the most. The new Go Walks aren't nearly as comfy as my old ones, but I'm hoping they'll break in well over the next few days.

Under Armour "Street Encounter"....... They have men's and women's, it's a "recovery" shoe that is durable, has a "memory foam" type sole and a much better looking shoe than the goofy open-toe sandal types, several colors to choose from as well

I just got a couple pairs of new shoes for our trip next week. My trusty Skechers Go Walk 2s and Merrells are very worn after wearing them for the past few years, so it was time. I got a pair of Ecco Yucatan, and Skechers Go Walk 4. The Eccos are crazy comfortable right out of the box are are likely the ones I'll wear the most. The new Go Walks aren't nearly as comfy as my old ones, but I'm hoping they'll break in well over the next few days.

Exact same comments about Sketches Go Walks. My Version 2 were super comfy and saved me at WDW. But like you they are worn out on the bottom. I found Go Walks 4 narrower so went with Go Walks 3, but my toe is a bit swashed (which is current toe issue). It has gotten better but not the slipper feeling like the Go Walks 2.

Exact same comments about Sketches Go Walks. My Version 2 were super comfy and saved me at WDW. But like you they are worn out on the bottom. I found Go Walks 4 narrower so went with Go Walks 3, but my toe is a bit swashed (which is current toe issue). It has gotten better but not the slipper feeling like the Go Walks 2.
I'm glad I am not crazy. I love my 2 but I have tried on 3 and 4 and didn't like either of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter