Park Pet Peeves

I can deal with everything else but it makes my skin crawl when kids latch onto me. Like we'll be watching fireworks and I feel little arms wrap around my leg. Or small kids will lay up against me in a line. Or (this really happened) a small kid tried to crawl into my lap during B&TB. I just don't understand how the parents think that is acceptable??! (Flame suit ready - I know others don't agree here. Before I get told that I will understand when I'm a mother, I'm 30+ and married almost 10 years. No kids by choice.)

Yes, I know I look "mom-ish" but get your kid off me!! :rotfl2:

I don't like it when people crowd me for no reason. Of course I don't expect a buffer zone during parades or anything like that but kicking my heels while waiting in a line is not getting you to the front any quicker.

And it bothers me when people are not looking where they are walking -- such as stepping backwards or looking to the right as they wander to the left. It's enough to navigate through large crowds but give me a fighting chance by faking left, going right. Ha!!

But these annoyances occur every where, not just Disney.

I know, that 3 foot kid has a shot to see anything over 5' or 6' adults. Disney = kids. Get over it.

My pet peeve is people like you who don't understand kids.

Is it possible to hold kids so they are eye level with the parent instead of being so much higher than everyone else and blocking the view of several people behind them?

I know, that 3 foot kid has a shot to see anything over 5' or 6' adults. Disney = kids. Get over it.

And heeeeere we go.

Disney does not = kids. Disney is for EVERYONE. Full stop. And while that kid is on dad's shoulders, what of all the other CHILDREN who now can't see because junior is perched on high? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

MY pet peeve is people who are under the false assumption that Disney is just for kids. :thumbsup2

Smokers who smoke everywhere but the designated areas even in the bathrooms! I am a smoker and this irritates me. It's not that complicated people! The people who go into the smoking area and start coughing and complaining about the smoke. Although some of the areas that are designated are in some really odd places. If they are we don't smoke in those because they are on a main road isle and too close to public non smoking areas. People who just bulldoze over kids in strollers like they are not even there. People whose kids are just rude bumping into you and your kids in line. Cussing that is not the place for that! People who don't respect the priority seating on the busses! People with no manners on the busses like a person with a baby is standing on the bus trying to hold on to the baby and hold on to the rail to keep from falling. Someone should give them their seat and let them sit down.

I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and I don't put them on my shoulders to watch fireworks/parade. The considerate thing to do is to just hold the child to be head level so you are not blocking those behind you. That way if I can see then so can they.

People who back out of a parking spot and don't look behind them.

Just happened to us today at DTD. Brillant person starts backing out without looking. If we had not stopped he would have hit us. His "excuse" was he has a camera in his car and this is Disney.:confused3

Funny thing is while he was yelling at me, he almost backed into another family! Guess that camera is not working for you!;)

I know this isn't the same and it isn't exclusively a Disney problem, but I am so tired of people that must have vehicles the approximate size of an apartment house and then have blacked out windows. If you have diagonal parked and cannot see through metal and plastic you have no choice but to back out blind and you have to be out there at least 8 ft to see if anything is coming toward you. Then someone comes along looking for a parking spot and not paying attention to cars backing out of blind spots and then complaining that the car they almost hit was driven by an idiot.

As for Pet Peeves at Disney...it's the people that are always complain about being hit by strollers (I've gone to WDW for 30 years, and have never been hit by a stroller...perhaps the hittee had a role in it).

People who are not aware of their surroundings. This is my pet peeve in real life too. And this applies to everyone - on foot, in ECV/wheelchair, pushing a stroller, etc. There is never a reason for people to walk four abreast down the paths on the wrong side without moving for people coming at them. Or to stop in the middle of walking to read a map or look at something or check their phone. Pull off to the side, get out of the way, and realize you are not the only one in the world. :flower3:

I have another one......when people get places super early and line up for a show or parade.....they KNOW to get there early so they KNOW that there will be a line in place for them to stand behind....yet they start in the most forward place....whereas I start where I know the line will be drawn. As soon as they are asked to get behind the line....the just start moving backwards into my family, pushing me back...when I was the one who was standing in the right place the whole time. And then we end up 4 deep when if they had followed the rules or lined up where they were supposed to they wouldn't have to plow backwards and push us back so we can't see! Grrrrrrr........anticipate you will have to move back, people.....and if they ask you to move forward...BONUS!

I hate the parents who put kids on their shoulders for fireworks, parades, etc. There is nothing more frustrating than standing on Main St and the minute the lights go down for Wishes all the kids go up on shoulders. It makes it impossible to see anything and it just plain rude!!

AGREE!!!

Is it possible to hold kids so they are eye level with the parent instead of being so much higher than everyone else and blocking the view of several people behind them?

Yes it is...it is not the most comfortable thing to hold them that way but it is much more pleasant for the 1,000 people behind you.

My biggest pet peave though is anyone taking pics and video on rides. Especially rides like Pirates and Splash. Look it up on google...there are plenty of videos and pics out there and you dont have to ruin every ones ride. Not to mention being a photography guy, you wont get good pics with that camera in the dark!!!

Other than those things, I just try to go with the flow! :goodvibes

People pushing strollers who think they deserve the space more than you.

EVC drivers who think they deserve the space more than you.

People that crowd me in line. Unless you're my DH, I don't want you breathing down my neck and it will NOT make the line (or me) move faster. It will only earn you a "get the heck away from me" look. :headache:

:eek:

This was a little harsh, don't ya think? There is NO reason to be so rude. Disney is for EVERYONE not just kids. Having a kid doesn't give you some kind of privilegde and free pass to be inconsiderate of others. Kids can see just fine without being 8 or 9 feet in the air. If I hold my kids, They go on my hip so that they are eye level with me and we try as hard as possible to not block anyone's view. Personally, we get to a spot early to try to have the best viewing as possible. There have many times when we have been waiting for a parade for an hour and some rude person will force their kid in between me and my family and they say "my kid won't be able to see so they need to sit here". Um....no....they absolutely do not. Don't show up 5 minutes before a parade and expect me to let your kid literally touch me and my kid because you were too lazy to get them a decent spot. I had a 3 year old climbing all over my back for a good 4 or 5 minutes before I finally had to say something to their parents. Their excuse was "he's hyper". Really??? And that made what he was doing just fine? Ugh...

I have to say one of my biggest pet peeves is parents letting their kids shake the ropes along the parade routes. I can't tell you how many times I/my kids have been hit in the head/face because some kid is pulling the rope back and letting it go. I always grab the rope and hold it and stare down the kid with my best "mom stare" until they realize that what they are doing needs to stop yesterday.:rotfl:

AGREE!!!
My biggest pet peave though is anyone taking pics and video on rides. Especially rides like Pirates and Splash. Look it up on google...there are plenty of videos and pics out there and you dont have to ruin every ones ride. Not to mention being a photography guy, you wont get good pics with that camera in the dark!!!

I despise being in the same boat as the dimwit who thinks flash photography is OK during PoC. Seriously a HUGE pet peeve.

Another HUGE pet peeve is the person/group of people who cuts in line because they didn't want to wait or just had to do something else and their family is up ahead. I don't know why this is acceptable at Disney, but there have been quite a few times when this happens in front of CM's and nothing is done. During the slow season I'm a little more forgiving about this, but when I've waited 50 minutes for something and you're just going to walk right on up, NOT FAIR. Family up ahead or not.

And heeeeere we go.

Disney does not = kids. Disney is for EVERYONE. Full stop. And while that kid is on dad's shoulders, what of all the other CHILDREN who now can't see because junior is perched on high? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

MY pet peeve is people who are under the false assumption that Disney is just for kids. :thumbsup2

My kids are going on my shoulders if i can't get up front. Now, if i can't, i get all the way in back and lift them up, that way i am technically right on the line of the area where the CM is telling people behind me to keep moving, that way i don't block anyone who is supposed to be watching the show.

I find it funny, the differences here are very identifiable with gender of the poster. Most of the "peeves" are somewhat silly to me and easily blown off, but I am a man. The kid thing gets me , because of the lack of logic. Kids, i truly mean kids, not teens, can't see over a 6 foot adult in front of them, so a kid on shoulders means nothing more that what was previous. So, you can whine all day about kids not seeing because of a kid on dad's shoulders, but it doesn't hold water, just be honest and say you can't see. If you tell me that, i'll switch with you since i can see over you.

Number 1 is flash photography or cell phone glow on dark rides. I came to Disney to enjoy the attraction the way it was intended. I don't want lights flashing in my eyes or lighting up the dark areas.

Number 2 is people who come in late to a show and then spend 10 minutes standing to decide who is going to sit next to who and talking over the show. You already are a distraction by walking in late but now your going to take more time to settle in while the show is running.

Number 1 is flash photography or cell phone glow on dark rides. I came to Disney to enjoy the attraction the way it was intended.

I am going to print this for my DH. He is terrible about that and I freak out! Just because we can go as much as we want doesn't mean that others can and his cell phone light is obnoxious!!

On a positive note, I will say that someone almost always gives me their seat on the bus if I am holding my little one. I don't expect them to and if she is in the carrier, she would actually prefer I stand, but someone will always offer me their seat.

I also have to say that when we were there at Christmas we got to the parade late and two ladies moved over so my little one could sit between them. I was afraid she was bothering them and told her to scoot back some a couple of times and they just said, it's ok, that's why we moved so she could see. I felt bad that we got there at the last minute and I didn't expect anyone to move for us, but those ladies were so sweet.

People who think Disney is only for kids and use it as an excuse for rudeness are a peeve of mine. Disney is for everyone. It is not required to have a child to enjoy it. It is also poor form to use a child as an excuse to do something rude. Blocking the line of sight of another person on purpose is rude. That child is not more important then any other person in the park.

My husband smokes, but he is respectful and only smokes in the designated areas. It's annoying when people are walking through the designated smoking areas complaining about smoke. (I hope he quits soon!)

Gah, this is annoying too! We witnessed this a few times in October (especially at Epcot). People would come into the smoking area, sit on a bench, and then start to complain about the other people smoking. They would do the whole fake cough and waving their hands in front of their face. Then they would sigh and huff and glare at the smokers.

I even heard someone say "I can't believe they are smoking while people are trying to eat here." (It was during Food and Wine). I turned to them and told them "If you don't want people smoking where you are, then maybe you shouldn't sit in a marked smoking area." and pointed out the sign to them.

Biggest Pet Peeve for me is by far the people who think they are more special than others. You KNOW who you are. Just zip your mouth, you are not special, and neither are any of your companions/kids.
I suppose almost everything mentioned so far would fall into this category.
Have respect for everyone around you, they are there for the same reason you are.

First, I wouldn't touch the "shoulders" debate with a ten foot pole:rotfl:I totally see both sides. However, MY big pet peeve is when parents rent HEALTHY children a wheelchair (to act like a stroller???) and they get to go to the front of the line. We saw several last June where the kids would hop in and out. . .they were healthier than I'll ever be! I could care less if you want to push your 7, 8, 9 year old kids around in a "stroller", but unless there is a physical reason for a wheelchair, they should not be allowed to bypass the line!!! One the other hand, I was pushing my 87 year old grandmother and greatly apprecaited the service for the few rides she was able to go on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!