Park Pet Peeves

brettcw23

DIS Dad #722 Pittsburgh, PA
OK, so we all love Disney (given)
But what are some of the things that the "guests" do that drive you nuts when at the parks?

To get things started....
When I'm pushing my stroller with 2 kids and people are walking right towards me but they are looking at an attraction AND still walking. This happened enough to make me wonder if people would buy "cow catchers" (the things on the front of trains) for strollers if I invented them!

What drives me nuts is people who plow into a crowd of people with a stroller rather than simply slowing down or stop to let people who are walking to walk safely around them. OH and the people in the motorized wheelchair who do the same thing only honk their horn while they plow into them. I bet people who own strollers would buy a horn to blow if I invented one.

The gawkers...the people who just stop in the middle of all the traffic. This infuriates me when it happens by Peter Pan and Small World. I stop all the time and take pictures of thinsg in the Parks but I at least move out of the way!

when people in the scooters just plow through the crowd going against the flow of traffic like they own the walk ways

What drives me nuts is ...Driving an ECV while being cut off, walked into, and bumped constantly.

I'm sure people CAN see me.

Kids on leashes! If the parent isn't paying attention and they give the child too much leash....it's bad. I've also seen kids on leashes hanging on rails or ropes (the ones that divide up ride lines) and they are all over the place even connected to the leash. And finally....I've seen a child trip and a parent pull back on the leash (like you would with a dog who has 4 legs) and the child fell right on his face. I have 2 kids, I know how frustrating large places can be with an adventurous kid.....BUT good grief sometimes leashes aren't always the best bet! :)

Keeping the stroller theme.. People who lean on my stroller at parades, on the ferry boat, in the stroller parking areas, etc. It's lazy, rude, and my stroller isn't strong enough to support you anyway! :rolleyes:

Bad & rude parenting....

Parents who think WDW is safer than anywhere else & let their kids go off with strangers. I am not kidding. I have been left w/ people's kids & so has my friend. WE know we're harmless, but the parents don't.

Parents & other adults who think it's HILARIOUS to scare or humiliate their kids about their fear of the dark or scary rides.

Parents who push strollers into the middle of the road while craning their necks to check for vehicles - the kids are in danger, but the parents are safe.

Parents who think that having kids makes their needs more important than anyone else.

Parents who stand by in shock but do nothing but complain as dozens of people climb over their stroller to escape Main Street after a parade & before the fireworks. I once stepped in to direct traffic so that the rush of people actually stepping over a stroller would stop while the parents just stood there looking horrified.

And, on a non-parenting note:

Flash photography on rides & in attractions
Smoking outside of designated areas

Phew! Climbing off my soap box now! :scared1:

People who back out of a parking spot and don't look behind them.

Just happened to us today at DTD. Brillant person starts backing out without looking. If we had not stopped he would have hit us. His "excuse" was he has a camera in his car and this is Disney.:confused3

Funny thing is while he was yelling at me, he almost backed into another family! Guess that camera is not working for you!;)

People on scooters gnawing on turkey legs. I can't explain it, except that the times we've almost been mowed down has almost always been by someone on a scooter with a big ol' turkey leg. So now, I get annoyed whenever I see a turkey leg and scooter in the same place.
Don't gnaw and scooter people! :drive:

Interesting topic, I almost don't even want to "go there" because when I'm at WDW I have purposely left all my stress behind in Austin and fully intend on having a wonderful time plus my bank account takes a while to recover. That said, I would have to say just any type of blatant rudeness. Huge groups of loud teenagers like I experienced once at the Hall of Presidents. That was totally uncool even if you don't like the current Prez.

One time my children and I were watching Wishes Fireworks and in front of us was a kid playing a video game "Plants vs. Zombies" on his hand held gaming system (I don't know what it was). He never looked up to see the show, he was about 8 or so, and my son pointed it out and I said " that's sad" and the mom heard me and gave me a butt chewing like I ain't had in a while.

For me, Disney is just too expensive to let anybody ruin it. That includes even MY kids. I'm doing my first solo trip Feb. 25 - March 1st. I will check out the 6 AM to 6 AM opening at MK. Should be interesting. It will be my 5th trip since 2008. Will be staying at the Movies resort. I'm up for meeting friends if anybody else will be checking out Leap Day!pirate:

We just got back this past Saturday (Feb 11th) from WDW and the things that irritated me:

1. line cutters
2. people suddenly coming to a dead stop to look at a map
3. people walking 10 across where no one can get by them
4. smokers smoking outside the designated smoking areas
5. chanting cheerleaders/tour groups
6. people stopping right in the doorway of the buses to open their strollers
7. people holding up the line to get onto the buses, arguing with the bus drivers at to why they should be able keep their strollers open on the buses, so as not to wake poor little Johnny
8. people with strollers yelling 'coming through, coming through' when everyone is trying to get out at park closing and it's so crowded no one can move

Line cutters
People who use strollers and scooters as battering rams, at the end of the day when the park is heaving I cant move faster than the crowd allows so don't bash the back of my legs with your stroller/scooter.
People who use their feet to flush the toilets, you are so concerned about germs you leave all sort of nasty germs picked up on your shoes for everyone else.
undisciplined kids no its not funny when your son rushes over with the intention of kicking a duck in its head, that would seriously if not kill the bird.
The family that surrounded a squirrel and scared it because it couldn't escape they would have been the first to scream compensation if it had bitten them.

Interesting perspectives here! Lots of strollers and ECV comments! I can definitely understand POV from the stroller\non-stroller people.

The smokers outside of the designated areas is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.
And the parents that let their kids run lawless. Yes, it's WDW nd the kids are excited, but that doesn't mean it's a free for all!

How about when you are crammed in so tight you can't breathe in front of the castle to watch the Magic, Memories & You and the cast members keep telling you to move forward because you are over the tape line. If there's no more room, there's no more room. What do they want you to do? We literally could not move in any direction, even backwards and the CM's just kept on with it.

Also the chanting groups. Is that really necessary?

My husband smokes, but he is respectful and only smokes in the designated areas. It's annoying when people are walking through the designated smoking areas complaining about smoke. (I hope he quits soon!)

For some reason, I always get stuck parking next to the family that has 200 people in their minivan. Without fail, every trip. Which is fine, except when they get out of the car, the entire group huddles around the door while everyone else gets out. Meanwhile, I'm stuck sitting in MY car, while it's 90 degrees out, staring at these people until they decide to be considerate enough to let me out.

Yesterday, we even had someone SIT ON THE HOOD OF MY CAR while the rest of their group unloaded.

Also when people cut through an entire line to catch up with their party. I understand parents have to take care of things, like parking the stroller, or taking smaller kids to the bathroom, but when 5 or more people come barreling through the line for toy story mania to get to the one person who was actually waiting, that's when it gets me.

My DBF tells me I shouldn't get so mad about people at the 'world, but I just can't help it. People can be so inconsiderate in a place where everyone else is just trying to have a good time.

I hate the parents who put kids on their shoulders for fireworks, parades, etc. There is nothing more frustrating than standing on Main St and the minute the lights go down for Wishes all the kids go up on shoulders. It makes it impossible to see anything and it just plain rude!!

I hate the parents who put kids on their shoulders for fireworks, parades, etc. There is nothing more frustrating than standing on Main St and the minute the lights go down for Wishes all the kids go up on shoulders. It makes it impossible to see anything and it just plain rude!!

I know, that 3 foot kid has a shot to see anything over 5' or 6' adults. Disney = kids. Get over it.

My pet peeve is people like you who don't understand kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter