Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I guess I can say DD has a job...or rather she is sort of self employed and we don't know how it's going to pan out so we're still holding our breath for a while. On Friday she started doing contract work from home. A local company is to give her design projects to complete and send back. She's currently working on a project but the company is new and we don't know how regular the work load will be.

If it works out for her, it will be nice not having to drive anywhere especially this winter, and it's flexible and like being in business for herself without having to find clients on her own...but she also wanted to be in an office with other people and get a W-2 wage and benefits. She's still been applying to standard jobs but now that the work has started she may hold off on that to see how things go. :confused3 She's also picking up some pet sitting jobs on rover.

I guess I can say DD has a job...or rather she is sort of self employed and we don't know how it's going to pan out so we're still holding our breath for a while. On Friday she started doing contract work from home. A local company is to give her design projects to complete and send back. She's currently working on a project but the company is new and we don't know how regular the work load will be.

If it works out for her, it will be nice not having to drive anywhere especially this winter, and it's flexible and like being in business for herself without having to find clients on her own...but she also wanted to be in an office with other people and get a W-2 wage and benefits. She's still been applying to standard jobs but now that the work has started she may hold off on that to see how things go. :confused3 She's also picking up some pet sitting jobs on rover.

That's great that she working in her chosen field. This is the time for them to try new things and take reasonable risks. Best of luck to her.

Another school year beginning just around the corner! We are taking a trip to school on Monday to move what we can into DS's first apartment. He is very excited.

Big news and even more exciting...DS was just offered and accepted an internship for next summer. He will be a merchandise analyst intern in the Buying and Planning department at the Kohl's Corporate headquarters. It was a long application/interview process, and we are thrilled with this opportunity. He is so happy to go into his junior year knowing he is already set for next summer :)

Another school year beginning just around the corner! We are taking a trip to school on Monday to move what we can into DS's first apartment. He is very excited.

Big news and even more exciting...DS was just offered and accepted an internship for next summer. He will be a merchandise analyst intern in the Buying and Planning department at the Kohl's Corporate headquarters. It was a long application/interview process, and we are thrilled with this opportunity. He is so happy to go into his junior year knowing he is already set for next summer :)
Congratulations to your son!!!!

This past weekend we moved both college kids out of their college apartments. 1 UHaul cargo van and 600 miles later, we are done! DD (rising junior) thought for sure she’d be up at her school apartment several times this summer so she only took her clothes and toiletries home in May. Nothing in the apartment was packed, and she couldn’t help at all because she worked this past weekend. She had to be out of the apartment at the end of July and can’t move into her sorority house (which is considered dorm living) until 8/19. All her furniture had to come home. We packed up her bedding and decor and left those 2 tubs in the apartment because 2 of her roommates are still living there this coming year and are letting her store some stuff for the next 3 weeks.

Then we drove to DS’s college to get his furniture and kitchen stuff. He brought everything else home after his graduation in May because he sublet his room to a fraternity brother for the summer. After we loaded up his furniture and cleaned, we drove 2 more hours to drop his furniture off at his post college house. Today he is moving another car load up there. He starts his job at EY on Friday. It’s the end of an era. Sigh.

Congratulations to your son!!!!

This past weekend we moved both college kids out of their college apartments. 1 UHaul cargo van and 600 miles later, we are done! DD (rising junior) thought for sure she’d be up at her school apartment several times this summer so she only took her clothes and toiletries home in May. Nothing in the apartment was packed, and she couldn’t help at all because she worked this past weekend. She had to be out of the apartment at the end of July and can’t move into her sorority house (which is considered dorm living) until 8/19. All her furniture had to come home. We packed up her bedding and decor and left those 2 tubs in the apartment because 2 of her roommates are still living there this coming year and are letting her store some stuff for the next 3 weeks.

Then we drove to DS’s college to get his furniture and kitchen stuff. He brought everything else home after his graduation in May because he sublet his room to a fraternity brother for the summer. After we loaded up his furniture and cleaned, we drove 2 more hours to drop his furniture off at his post college house. Today he is moving another car load up there. He starts his job at EY on Friday. It’s the end of an era. Sigh.

Wow! That is a lot of moving - what a big job! You must be so relieved to be done.
Congrats to your son on his new job at EY! So awesome!

Wow! A lot of change in this thread since the beginning. These 'kids' are almost done being kids. Seems like yesterday we were discussing college aps and proms, no?

My twins moved from dorm directly into house they are renting with 2 other girls (well, one of the girls' dad owns the house). We went up in June to help get them settled though they mostly already were, but just a few little odds and ends. They had been alone in the house most of the summer but one of the other girls just finally moved in. Meanwhile they took summer classes and teacher DD got a daycare center assistant teacher job. Other DD got a night shift nursing home job (but quit after about 7 weeks due to no sleep). She was also doing EMT classes that were intensive and doing the accounting class. SHe will be EMT certified (I guess that's what it's called) next month and can do calls all next school year. She also got accepted in a MBA program where it's a 5 year continued program there. IT's going so FAST!!! No boyfriends yet though.

DS (HS graduate of 2015) is just getting his associates in hotel management (should be done this or next week). He was working at a Marriott chain hotel front desk for a while but just got a manager job at an IHG chain hotel. Started about 2 weeks ago. He has a GF who was in town for a job for 6 months and then went back to Canada. They have been long distance for a while now but she's coming back for another 6 month stint in Sept. He says this will be a test to see if it's a serious thing. He was my trouble kid in middle and HS. I am very pleased with where he is with his life. In his own apartment and working (moving up the ladder) and getting serious with a girl (who has a good job in the travel industry as well). I never would have guessed it 8 years ago.

Yes they are growing up for sure! DD moved out of her temporary summer arrangement and into an apartment with her friend. She is madly looking for a kitchen table and chairs on Facebook Marketplace. She's missed having a table to sit at since the college apt had just a bar and stools. She could get any old table but she has some style ideas in mind and so it's hard to find just what you want under $200. And then to find a way to haul it. DH has rotary cuff surgery tomorrow so he's not a lot of help but she could borrow the small pickup for a while.

Work from her remote job continues to trickle in. She's still applying for other stuff as it comes along, including part-time or temporary design jobs to add to it but no luck yet. It has been nice that's she's had more of a fun & free summer since she had class and work all last summer. But now she has rent payments again starting tomorrow.

My son is finishing his internship this week and will be home on Sunday! Then I get him for about three weeks until school starts for him again. We have a lot to do to get him ready for apartment living in those three weeks, since he's been in a dorm room the last two years and will need to buy a lot of the little things that you don't think about as well as a couple of bigger things.

Right after we move him in, my husband and I are planning to take a little road trip through Michigan. It will be our first childless vacation since the oldest was born (29 years ago). I'm excited to go, though yesterday my mom told me that she has scheduled knee replacement surgery for the day that we leave. She says not to change any plans, but I don't know...

My son is finishing his internship this week and will be home on Sunday! Then I get him for about three weeks until school starts for him again. We have a lot to do to get him ready for apartment living in those three weeks, since he's been in a dorm room the last two years and will need to buy a lot of the little things that you don't think about as well as a couple of bigger things.

Right after we move him in, my husband and I are planning to take a little road trip through Michigan. It will be our first childless vacation since the oldest was born (29 years ago). I'm excited to go, though yesterday my mom told me that she has scheduled knee replacement surgery for the day that we leave. She says not to change any plans, but I don't know...
My mom (aged 70) had both knees replaced last summer. I went to help. She was in hospital for like 3 days before they transferred her to a nursing home. She had planned to come home. But her house has like 10 steps to front door and then like 13 up to her bedroom and shower. She really thought she'd be able to just come home and walk on in. Nope. So they had to scramble to get her in a skilled nursing home (wish we had pre planned and chosen a really good one because the one she went to was a tad bit of a nightmare). She was at nursing home for 2 weeks and not really doing much to get herself out of there and would have stayed longer. Though the first 5 days she cried and wanted out. But once we got her settled and able to use toilet (use walker to get to toilet as she hated using bed pan) then she was A-OK to stay and wouldn't push herself to walk or get herself showered or in PT. But I live 5 hours away and was staying at her house and needed to get her at home and settled so I could get back home. I was at nursing home twice a day to get her going (about 2-4 hours each time...would come in AM to get her dressed and walk with her...then come in PM to get her ready for bed...had to make sure she got meds and take off and put on her blood clot stockings and swap out ice packs). If in a good nursing home, though, you maybe wouldn't have to be there.

So I got her up and going and ordered her an electric reclining chair. Set that up in her living room and bought a potty seat with handle bars and set that up on the toilet. They sent her home with a walker and grabber and ice packs. I got her a basket tray thing for her walker so she could get stuff in kitchen and walk it to her chair. I stayed 2 more weeks with her at her house. I set up grocery delivery (like Giant Pea Pod) and showed her how to continue that. About 2 days before I left she managed to get herself up stairs to shower. SHe had PT coming to her house. I took her to a couple of her DR appts (for re checks). I was there helping for about 5 weeks and then went home. SHe wasn't able to drive and do things herself until about 8 weeks. And still, it's been 13 months, she has trouble walking and getting around. Oh, and also had to find neighborhood boy she could pay to cut her grass (one tip to others would be to schedule knee replacement in the fall).

So if your mom has nursing home set up for the 2-3 weeks after, then you should be good. Or if she also has a husband or other care giver to be there. Some tips...do NOT do 2 knees at same time (if one then she'll have other to rely on as she recovers). Get ice machine for knee (my mom did not but we wish she had...we had to keep freezing and swapping out ice packs and once she got to nursing home they disappeared and the staff would NEVER ice her knees or give her pains meds in time but that's another story). Smart to lose weight prior (my mom is heavy and never should have had both done or even one knee done until she lost some weight). And have her take plenty of Ibuprofin (my mom couldn't as she has stomach ulcer so that has been the #1 problem as she had a lot of pain and didn't want to get moving). Get a handicap parking permit (at least a temporary one for when she's recovering). ANd make sure there is 1st floor living set up until about 10 weeks post op. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Produc...ocphy=9009602&hvtargid=pla-570512517276&psc=1

Last edited:
My mom (aged 70) had both knees replaced last summer. I went to help. She was in hospital for like 3 days before they transferred her to a nursing home. She had planned to come home. But her house has like 10 steps to front door and then like 13 up to her bedroom and shower. She really thought she'd be able to just come home and walk on in. Nope. So they had to scramble to get her in a skilled nursing home (wish we had pre planned and chosen a really good one because the one she went to was a tad bit of a nightmare). She was at nursing home for 2 weeks and not really doing much to get herself out of there and would have stayed longer. Though the first 5 days she cried and wanted out. But once we got her settled and able to use toilet (use walker to get to toilet as she hated using bed pan) then she was A-OK to stay and wouldn't push herself to walk or get herself showered or in PT. But I live 5 hours away and was staying at her house and needed to get her at home and settled so I could get back home. I was at nursing home twice a day to get her going (about 2-4 hours each time...would come in AM to get her dressed and walk with her...then come in PM to get her ready for bed...had to make sure she got meds and take off and put on her blood clot stockings and swap out ice packs). If in a good nursing home, though, you maybe wouldn't have to be there.

So I got her up and going and ordered her an electric reclining chair. Set that up in her living room and bought a potty seat with handle bars and set that up on the toilet. They sent her home with a walker and grabber and ice packs. I got her a basket tray thing for her walker so she could get stuff in kitchen and walk it to her chair. I stayed 2 more weeks with her at her house. I set up grocery delivery (like Giant Pea Pod) and showed her how to continue that. About 2 days before I left she managed to get herself up stairs to shower. SHe had PT coming to her house. I took her to a couple of her DR appts (for re checks). I was there helping for about 9 weeks and then went home. SHe wasn't able to drive and do things herself until about 12 weeks. And still, it's been 13 months, she has trouble walking and getting around. Oh, and also had to find neighborhood boy she could pay to cut her grass (one tip to others would be to schedule knee replacement in the fall).

So if your mom has nursing home set up for the 2-3 weeks after, then you should be good. Or if she also has a husband or other care giver to be there. Some tips...do NOT do 2 knees at same time (if one then she'll have other to rely on as she recovers). Get ice machine for knee (my mom did not but we wish she had...we had to keep freezing and swapping out ice packs and once she got to nursing home they disappeared and the staff would NEVER ice her knees or give her pains meds in time but that's another story). Smart to lose weight prior (my mom is heavy and never should have had both done or even one knee done until she lost some weight). And have her take plenty of Ibuprofin (my mom couldn't as she has stomach ulcer so that has been the #1 problem as she had a lot of pain and didn't want to get moving). Get a handicap parking permit (at least a temporary one for when she's recovering). ANd make sure there is 1st floor living set up until about 10 weeks post op. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Produc...ocphy=9009602&hvtargid=pla-570512517276&psc=1
I 100% have to do this in the next few years. I’m only 53 but have had surgeries on both knees and now have very painful arthritis in my knees that is slowly crippling me. They pop and crack every time I move. DH (51 and a college football player) had both hips replaced last year 6 weeks apart and is running circles around me now. I’m a teacher, so I’ve been thinking about getting them both done next summer but your post scared me! Not sure what I’m going to do.

I 100% have to do this in the next few years. I’m only 53 but have had surgeries on both knees and now have very painful arthritis in my knees that is slowly crippling me. They pop and crack every time I move. DH (51 and a college football player) had both hips replaced last year 6 weeks apart and is running circles around me now. I’m a teacher, so I’ve been thinking about getting them both done next summer but your post scared me! Not sure what I’m going to do.
I'd suggest doing the worst one. Just one. So you have the other one to lean on as you recover. Unless you have some really good strong upper body strength to rely on arm power to lift yourself. The do the other one later.

Edit to add...I corrected my post above. I was only there helping for about 5 weeks. And she started driving around 8 weeks.

So I got her up and going and ordered her an electric reclining chair. Set that up in her living room and bought a potty seat with handle bars and set that up on the toilet. They sent her home with a walker and grabber and ice packs. I got her a basket tray thing for her walker so she could get stuff in kitchen and walk it to her chair. I stayed 2 more weeks with her at her house. I set up grocery delivery (like Giant Pea Pod) and showed her how to continue that. About 2 days before I left she managed to get herself up stairs to shower. SHe had PT coming to her house. I took her to a couple of her DR appts (for re checks). I was there helping for about 5 weeks and then went home. SHe wasn't able to drive and do things herself until about 8 weeks. And still, it's been 13 months, she has trouble walking and getting around. Oh, and also had to find neighborhood boy she could pay to cut her grass (one tip to others would be to schedule knee replacement in the fall).

Thanks for all of the info! My father is in great shape and will be there for her. I am a little worried about their house. It's three or four steps up to get in any way that they go. Then all the bedrooms are upstairs, but I know that they can set something up for her downstairs. Unfortunately, the room that they spend most of their time in (and has the tv) is down two small steps. I haven't talked to her yet (just got a quick e-mail), so I don't have all of the information about exactly what she is having done and whether it is one or two. You have given me a lot to talk to them about, though.

I can’t believe our kids are juniors!!! My dd starts at the nd of this month. The last two years she was able to move in a week early. This year she doesn’t qualify for early move in. It is going to be crazy! She Met some friends and they asked her to be roommates. Hopefully it will be a better fit because one of her last roommates was a nightmare!

DD's summer of studying, studying, studying finally came to an end on Friday!
She took the DAT (Dental Admission Test), a requirement for applying to dental school.
She was pleased with her scores, and we are all able to breathe a sigh of relief! One more box has been checked on her road to admission to dental school.
Classes for fall semester begin Aug. 26th, so she has a small "break" before getting back to the school/studying routine.

My DD headed back to school today. Official move in isn’t until the 21st, but she has training for her campus job starting tomorrow. Before she left, we went over her to-do list: 1) meet with her advisor to make sure she’s on track to graduate and see about a possible minor or endorsement, 2) get her resume together and start interviewing for a Summer 2020 internship,3) keep building up her gpa. She’s a procrastinator, so I really hope she gets this stuff done!!!

My DD moved in with her boyfriend into a “one bedroom” apartment that is really a “studio plus”. It’s the epitome of crappy student housing, but it’s all theirs. It’s in a beautiful 1880’s mansion that was chopped up into many, many studios and apartments. I wish I had seen it before it was converted. It does appears to be clean without bugs, so there is that.

Last edited:
This is our final week leading up to moving DS back to school. He's going to be in an on-campus apartment with the two roommates that he had last year and gets along with well and one other student from India that they don't really know. They needed a fourth, and he needed a group. They did meet with him once and they've texted a bit. It's four bedrooms and two bathrooms, so they finally have some space to themselves after two years in an open dorm room with bathrooms shared by the whole floor.

After we get him moved in, DH and I are headed on a road trip to Michigan. It's the first vacation that we have been on as just the two of us since our oldest was born (28 years ago). I'm looking forward to it, but I planned it at a really crazy time with trying to pack DS up and buy what he needs and then get us planned and packed and then we come back two days before I need to start teaching preschool, so I've been crazy getting that ready, too. But I didn't see any other time that it would really have worked for us.

This is our final week leading up to moving DS back to school. He's going to be in an on-campus apartment with the two roommates that he had last year and gets along with well and one other student from India that they don't really know. They needed a fourth, and he needed a group. They did meet with him once and they've texted a bit. It's four bedrooms and two bathrooms, so they finally have some space to themselves after two years in an open dorm room with bathrooms shared by the whole floor.

After we get him moved in, DH and I are headed on a road trip to Michigan. It's the first vacation that we have been on as just the two of us since our oldest was born (28 years ago). I'm looking forward to it, but I planned it at a really crazy time with trying to pack DS up and buy what he needs and then get us planned and packed and then we come back two days before I need to start teaching preschool, so I've been crazy getting that ready, too. But I didn't see any other time that it would really have worked for us.

We are living parallel lives. Helped the girls move in this weekend; spent the night in a spa and resort and report tomorrow to start preschool teacher workdays. I am a little bummed summer is over but happy it will take my mind that both my kids are now gone!

I have 2 more weeks until we move my daughter in- borrowing a work van from the place I work part time and paying 200 for this guy to drive me, my daughter and my friends son to Boston first to storage unit to pick up her things and then to her apartment- which is on the second floor and no elevator so have to carry all the boxes up the stairs but at least I have 2 guys to help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter