Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

I'm late to the party! I didn't realize this thread was here! My DD is a vocal performance major and has been accepted to three midwestern schools, including a fairly selective conservatory. However, she applied to NYU Steinhardt through their video screening in a whim, and then was invited for an in person audition which she completed on Feb. 12. We just got word that NYU will notify on March 30, so the tension level has ratcheted up here. From it being "just got fun" now it is of course her top choice. I have no experience with highly competitive schools and frankly I'm a little surprised she made it this far!

I hope everyone still waiting gets the right answer from the right school!

My daughter applied to NYU also but I know they do not give a lot of aid so even if she gets in chances are it won't be enough for her to go there. Out of all the ones my daughter is still waiting for I think NYU might be the only one she gets accepted at since it does have an acceptance rate of 33%- all the others have less than a 10% acceptance rate.
Her friend was waitlisted at Barnard and I just found out last year 1700 kids were waitlisted and only 59 of them got offered a spot last year-I am actually glad she got denied rather than getting her hopes up being waitlisted when there was slim to no chance of getting off that waitlist!

We are STILL waiting to hear back from Temple on our scholarship appeal letter. It's been an entire month:sad1: We were hoping to hear back before her birthday which is tomorrow and before she left for her senior trip which is Monday. I really wanted her to be able to relax and enjoy her week in Florida with her classmates. Instead she will probably be checking her email every 30 seconds while she's away:scared:. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!

We are STILL waiting to hear back from Temple on our scholarship appeal letter. It's been an entire month:sad1: We were hoping to hear back before her birthday which is tomorrow and before she left for her senior trip which is Monday. I really wanted her to be able to relax and enjoy her week in Florida with her classmates. Instead she will probably be checking her email every 30 seconds while she's away:scared:. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!

I hope you hear good news soon!

Didn't you know, Ivy kids can't be lumped in with kids who are waiting to go to places like State U's and community college.

I went to Community college, State U, my husband went to State U, two of my kids are at State U and the third will likely go to state u. Why would anyone have a Problem with a kid shooting for the moon? You get one chance to apply to college-if you have the grades and scores, you might as well give it a shot.

Ivy decisions are in 4 days and It's a fun time waiting-it's like playing the lottery. There's a big buildup to March 30. If you aren't a part of it, why comment and in such a snotty way? Geeze.

Did they give you a time frame when you talked to them? I know one college (cant recall of it was northeastern or boston u) told me to submit an appeal and they go over them OVER THE SUMMER-so basically you have to commit to the college and then just hope they give you some more money.

I went to Community college, State U, my husband went to State U, two of my kids are at State U and the third will likely go to state u. Why would anyone have a Problem with a kid shooting for the moon? You get one chance to apply to college-if you have the grades and scores, you might as well give it a shot.

Ivy decisions are in 4 days and It's a fun time waiting-it's like playing the lottery. There's a big buildup to March 30. If you aren't a part of it, why comment and in such a snotty way? Geeze.

I don't have any problem with any kid shooting for the moon. I don't even have a problem with proud parents who have children attending an Ivy.
Having said that, having to start a separate thread just for your kid screams something entirely different than just being proud.

I clicked on your "Ivy Watch" thread because I thought it was about some other pregnant animal expecting a baby. I saw where a poster graciously put a link to this thread and your response "that is a general acceptance thread, this is for Ivy schools" was what got me to come over here. And you don't see how that comes across?

Last edited:
Why would anyone have a Problem with a kid shooting for the moon? You get one chance to apply to college-if you have the grades and scores, you might as well give it a shot.

I dont find it fun at all- i find it the most stressful thing ever and then to see my kid in tears when the no's come totally sucks.

But why the need to make a separate thread? College acceptance is like playing the lottery for all our kids, not just those that applied ivy. Just for an interesting aside, 5 of the top 10 colleges/universities aren't ivy.

Heck, my daughter seriously considered Stanford, Columbia and University of Chicago but decided not to apply in the end. She has the grades and scores to be a solid candidate.

She's waiting on her first choice and it's nerve wracking. It isn't any different for anyone no matter the caliber of school.

My daughter got waitlisted at the school with the lowest average SAT scores of all the ones she applied to. That was a surprise to us.

I'm anxious for every senior to find a school that's the right fit. I don't think there's a need to separate applicants like this.

I'm anxious for every senior to find a school that's the right fit. I don't think there's a need to separate applicants like this.
I agree. @Tinijocaro, I know that you are proud of your DS ... we are all proud of our kids no matter what college they will attend: from Community College to Yale. I feel your new thread separates us: Ivy League elites to one thread and the rest of the "rabble" stays here. At the risk of sounding all butt-hurt, that makes me sad. I thought we were all in this together. I've been pulling for your DS to be accepted to his #1 school the same as I have for all the kids of the parents on this thread. I hope you get the answers you're looking for.

It's both an exciting and a stressful time for the kids and parents alike. Quibbling over college choices and the perceived prestige factor of some has ruined a few good friendships in my son's class and highly strained a few others. He has experienced this in real life, and it sucks.

Tinijocaro and her son are excited and are viewing this in one light. Others are nervous and fearing what a negative decision will do to their child's sense of self. Others have no interest in Ivy League schools or realize that they are too much of a reach. They are all valid feelings.

I can understand starting a new thread for a sub-set of this population (or maybe for some others that don't want to read through this whole thread). Whether it's an attempt at bragging or not, you can control only your own reaction. Either way, ignoring it if it isn't important to you is less stressful than getting riled up.

Another waitlist for DD. Nothing like feeling almost good enough!

Well, shoot. I coined the term "craptastic crapfest" to describe waitlists. It's hard to tell your kid, "They like you but they just liked ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE more."

I can't believe they have not gotten back to you! I hope that your DD can relax and enjoy her spring break. Stressing about it will not make the decision come any faster {{hugs}}.

I dont find it fun at all- i find it the most stressful thing ever and then to see my kid in tears when the no's come totally sucks.
I agree. It has put a dark cloud over all of senior year for us.

This whole process is certainly more stressful than I thought it would be.

It's both an exciting and a stressful time for the kids and parents alike. Quibbling over college choices and the perceived prestige factor of some has ruined a few good friendships in my son's class and highly strained a few others. He has experienced this in real life, and it sucks.

Tinijocaro and her son are excited and are viewing this in one light. Others are nervous and fearing what a negative decision will do to their child's sense of self. Others have no interest in Ivy League schools or realize that they are too much of a reach. They are all valid feelings.

I can understand starting a new thread for a sub-set of this population (or maybe for some others that don't want to read through this whole thread). Whether it's an attempt at bragging or not, you can control only your own reaction. Either way, ignoring it if it isn't important to you is less stressful than getting riled up.

Not riled up in the least. Just commenting on something I find silly and unnecessary.

Anyone else waiting on GW (George Washington University)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter