Parents of the Class of 2019

We just finished a trip to Lincoln, NE to visit Nebrask Wesleyan. It's a really small school, smaller than DD's high school, which is a big negative for her, but the tour and everything that they talked about was really personalized for DD, which she did like. Plus they just opened a new $30M lab that was funded completely by alumni donations (so no higher tuition) that she was pretty excited about. She's still in the waiting game, but UNW has moved up the list I think. They also gave her another $2K per year in scholarships for doing the campus visit and the STEM activity which doesn't hurt!

Just checked and Western CO housing applications aren’t open until 03/06/2019. So, we have a little time obviously.

Did she decide to go there?

Anxiously awaiting Saturday- scholarship interview and theatre audition day. Little bit worried because the school is on the border of 1-3 and 3-5 inches of snow Friday during the day and they said if they have to cancel on Saturday it won't be rescheduled so I guess no one would get any Presidential Scholarships?! Thinking that if it stays on the lower end of snow and it's done by 4 pm as predicted so far, it can be okay for Saturday. It better be. Her favorite roommate option is also supposed to be there and she'd like to meet in person and see if they hit it off.

Today DD did a practice interview with a former colleague of mine- someone she is familiar with but not entirely comfortable. Also went over some questions I found on the internet. Hopefully that helped some.

Edited to add: College just emailed and said they look like it's a go on Saturday, and if you can't make it due to weather they will interview Monday or Tuesday. We're coming from the no snow direction so we'll be fine but I'm glad to hear they are making accommodations.

Last edited:
Did she decide to go there?

Anxiously awaiting Saturday- scholarship interview and theatre audition day. Little bit worried because the school is on the border of 1-3 and 3-5 inches of snow Friday during the day and they said if they have to cancel on Saturday it won't be rescheduled so I guess no one would get any Presidential Scholarships?! Thinking that if it stays on the lower end of snow and it's done by 4 pm as predicted so far, it can be okay for Saturday. It better be. Her favorite roommate option is also supposed to be there and she'd like to meet in person and see if they hit it off.

Today DD did a practice interview with a former colleague of mine- someone she is familiar with but not entirely comfortable. Also went over some questions I found on the internet. Hopefully that helped some.

Still wavering. Has a visit Monday at North Central.

OM. I just got DS to reset his login this am, he got a new phone and number and we just could not retrieve a new password. Anywho he got 2 grants $9014 dance dance Dance. Awards and schlorships not posted yet. The other was to post mid February. This makes his first year closer to what his 2 and 3 college choice had offered.

Today is his 18 bday and he has 4 other guys at our house for the day, no school.

And we leave for his grad trip tomorrow after his schol meet, cause that is when we could fit it in.

Off to see if older DD got any grants or something.

We got an email awards were out: DS got 3 scholarships and a work offer.
DD doesn't get awards until March.

Last edited:
Yay for everyone with scholarships and grants.

DS was off school yesterday for a teacher development day, so we used it to go to an admitted students day for one of his top two choices. We had already done a prospective student visit at this school and a lot of it was a repeat, but our tour guides for both the university tour and the business school tour were both really good and offered some unique insights/perspectives than we got last time. He liked it quite a bit and said he could see himself there. We have an admitted visit scheduled with his other top choice in mid-march and he's not planning to make a final decision till after that.

Yesterday's visit was at my alma mater, and the other one is at my sister's alma mater. Based on our experiences, I think my sister's alma mater might be a better fit for him (smaller, more personal). My alma mater did a really good job of "selling itself." I also think it helped that I knew my way around the campus. When we visited the other school, the tour was OK but we got turned around trying to find things on our own after tour. The map was terrible (to be fair, my school's map is probably equally bad, but we didn't need the map.) My sister offered to go with us this time to be our own personal tour guide, but DS wants it to be just me and him. Maybe I'll have to study the map more closely before we go (really, he should... but... I don't think he will, and I'd hate for him to make his decision based on feeling lost one place and not the other.)

Today DS is at an accepted students day at Providence. Later in the week, we'll go to the accepted students day at Fordham. He's still waiting to hear from 5 more schools, so it'll be good to get these two done before he hears from the rest. DH & I both went to Providence and we feel it's a great fit for DS. He really likes it so far but it's too soon to tell.

DD had a fabulous scholarship interview/audition day. Felt like everything went really well and it's a major hurdle crossed. She got to meet a possible roommate she's been messaging. We found out both of our families were at Disney the same day (day of the alligator incident). We've never actually met someone else IRL who has gone to Disney more than once so that's cool. Both girls have or will work at a church camp and love travel. Visits with professors were good, exciting possibilities in both of her majors. Overall a very positive day. She got $500 just for showing up, hoping that it pays off some more when results come out in 2 weeks.

Son asked me this weekend what accepted student open house we were going to (there's two on consecutive Saturdays) and I confirmed which one we were signed up for. One of his best friends, who recently got accepted, was planning on going to the open house as well (he hasn't seen the school yet) and wanted to make sure they were going the same weekend. I think he's really hoping that his friend chooses RIT as well, so they can room together. I think the two of them would make pretty good roommates - fairly similar personalities, etc. He really hasn't gone onto any of the social media sites yet looking at possible roommates, so hopefully this works out, because our son is not an overly outgoing kid, so finding a roommate otherwise might be hard for him.

DD’s North Central visit planned for today was called off due to weather. DW is off & was planning to take her. Was hoping they’d try a last minute visit somewhere in this area (no weather here), but no such luck.

Hello - haven't posted lately but have been reading and excited to see where all of the kids are going. My son made his decision yesterday. He will be going to Bowling Green State University in NW Ohio majoring in Middle Childhood Education. Glad that the decision has been made (would have been happy with any of the schools he was accepted at). We visited yesterday (second time there) and it feels like a great fit for him. Not too big but not small either. Only 2 hours 15 minutes from home. He plans to be in the marching band and has not decided yet if he wants to do the education learning community.

Good luck to everyone that has not made their decision yet!

Hello - haven't posted lately but have been reading and excited to see where all of the kids are going. My son made his decision yesterday. He will be going to Bowling Green State University in NW Ohio majoring in Middle Childhood Education. Glad that the decision has been made (would have been happy with any of the schools he was accepted at). We visited yesterday (second time there) and it feels like a great fit for him. Not too big but not small either. Only 2 hours 15 minutes from home. He plans to be in the marching band and has not decided yet if he wants to do the education learning community.

Congrats to your son! Buy the kid a windbreaker! ;) I swear, that's the windiest campus I've ever been on! :D

Congrats to your son! Buy the kid a windbreaker! ;) I swear, that's the windiest campus I've ever been on! :D
I agree with the windbreaker!

Congrats to your son and RIT! My nephew went there and I know a couple kids that are currently there.

Yesterday was a great day for DS. He is officially an Eagle Scout! It was a bit stressful for me as he didn't get his application in until 3 days before he aged out.:crazy2: But it's all done now and something he can be proud of for life. He looked so happy and proud of himself last night!

He also got a great merit offer from Clarkson in the mail yesterday so now that makes it about the same price as FL Tech. Now he can make the choice based on the best fit for him not price.

We have a trip booked to visit FL Tech for an accepted student day 3/22 (will be strange to fly to Orlando and not go to Disney). Then we will drive to Clarkson for an accepted student day 3/30. We should probably also visit SUNY Buffalo as he got a nice offer from them and we haven't seen it at all yet. Buffalo hasn't announced their accepted student day dates yet.

DD is still waiting on #1 and #2 but has put in a housing contract/deposit for #3 (UF). Her teachers won't let her miss school to attend accepted student events which is ridiculous but until we hear from #1 and #2 I'm not pushing it (plus she's been to Gainesville before so no huge rush for #3).

Senior Superlatives were announced and she was voted Most Likely To Travel The World which was fun and since she's been to 11 countries (and summer travel to 4 more) in her short life, I suspect a fitting one! I cannot believe in 6 weeks we'll have final college decisions and in 10 weeks she'll be done with school (they have all of May off to study/take IB/AP exams).

Senior Superlatives were announced and she was voted Most Likely To Travel The World which was fun and since she's been to 11 countries (and summer travel to 4 more) in her short life, I suspect a fitting one!

DD would have loved to get that one if it was a category here! She got Smartest, and Most Likely to Be President- that one she wasn't too happy about. For the picture she wanted to hold up a sign that said I Hate Politics but she didn't.

Yesterday she was brainstorming for her commencement speech. She has some nice thoughts and a few ideas for humor, hopefully she comes up with something great and this doesn't end up being a huge stressor.

Last night I saw 3 Facebook events put up for grad receptions. Seems early, but reminds me I should get our church hall reserved.

Once again we have a speech contest on Saturday and questionable impending weather. Looks like it might be okay for most of the day but bad as it would be getting over, so I wonder what the host school will do. It's been a frustrating winter for activities, but the plus side is the snow days during the week help DD catch up on online class and scholarships, with no worries about having to make up days.

We paid DS' room deposit today and he finished the few things it said he still needed to do on his student profile. He gave me a hug and said thank you when he handed my debit card back. He still needs to complete two more scholarship applications; one won't be bad but the other one will be very involved.

DS has decided he wants to run track for the first time this year. I'm not sure what brought that on, but he has gone running a few times already in the last week with a couple of kids from his class since practices haven't started yet. He also joined an indoor soccer league about an hour away from where we live. He has become more outgoing lately, and I think he is having fun with it.

We haven't nailed down a date for his graduation party yet, but I'm thinking we'll have it the weekend before graduation. He doesn't really want a party, but he said it would be okay to have something at MIL's house if we have to. DH needs to start working on his announcements; he has the software to do custom stuff and I am not good at that.

Almost ready to say yes, and she's happy that she's going to know some kids that already go there. Was not her first choice, I don't think, but it seems to be a great fit for her. Huge state funded school. She wanted large. Check. Though it's local, we agreed to at least the first year, to room there.

On the prom dress hunt, we think we got a dress. Ordered, because not the right size. It's not until the end of May, so there's plenty of time if it's not the one. I think she has shoes, so there's that.

Enjoy hearing where all the kids are going.

So today at the dentist DD was told she needs a root canal and her wisdom teeth removed. Her bottom front teeth have always been missing enamel and one needs a root canal before they recoat them. After 8 years of orthodontia she insists she cannot handle any more dental work. She is a dramatic one, hopefully she will calm down as time goes on. Took awhile for her to get composed enough to go into school. She says she's not so worried about the root canal, but her boyfriend just had 4 wisdom teeth taken out last week and he had horrible time so that's very fresh in her mind. We'll see what happens there though, the dentist only saw one wisdom tooth and requested an x-ray sent from the ortho so maybe it won't be that bad.

Was just thinking everything was going so well these days...and sure this is fairly routine stuff for kids but to her it's a major catastrophe right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter