Parents of the Class of 2019

We're now in the scholarships mode. DD wants to go to Philadelphia in June for the BIO conference (international bio-tech conference) with her school, and we've told her that for every $1,000 in scholarships she applies for, we'll give her $100 for the trip. Hopefully that will get her moving a big to take some action before all of her deadlines have passed. She's got a severe case of senioritis!

DD is not letting things slide, but she does get tired of school/speech/homework/scholarships/repeat. Group speech is over so individual speech will be a bit easier in that she doesn't have to schedule practices with anyone else. This week has 2 jazz choir competitions and 3 basketball games to sing at. State Speech was Saturday (all 1's in musical theatre!! and a 1 overall in ensemble acting). Then she came home and filled out a scholarship form that came in the mail before even taking her coat off. Got a couple that still need essays but the topics are stumping her right now. But she's been plugging along pretty well with not *too* much complaining.

Colorado, not sure it's quite senioritis, but my DD keeps telling me it's less than 100 days of school left. So ready for college is she. And, found out she is graduating with honors. Still not ready to say which of the 4 for 4 yes responses she got will be the yes from her. Just that she does not want to commute.

BJ, that's a lot of singing. And yes, the endless essays. I told her, try for all scholarship money she can.

Inkling of senior prom. Not really ready to shop for a dress, but it's she's starting to want to look. She wants a black one, I am not sure, Spring prom time, so I thought she'd want a color. We will see.

No senioritis here, just bust. She has high A’s is every subject. Indoor track ends this month, but there is only a week break before the spring season, and the musical is the first weekend of March, so lots of rehearsals. Since she’s always busy, she has families that she babysits regularly for, and is always getting booked (or passing them off to a sibling or friend). I’m freaking out that she doesn’t have a prom dress yet, but her friends want to go together, so they’ve only been to 2 stores (luckily we have a Promgirl 15 minutes away). I think they have about 15 kids in their prom house!

And the essays continue, supplemental done, but lots of scholarship ones.

View attachment 380638 Dd needs to turn in a baby pic for the senior slideshow so I was digging last night. She picked this one. :love::sad:

Cute pic! Our school asks for 10-15 pics for a slideshow to play at the end of the graduation ceremony, and I already have DS' pics in a file on my phone, as well as the ones to print for his table at graduation. I did it last fall, while graduation was "far" away because I knew it would be hard/emotional if I waited until a few weeks before.

We got our request for senior slideshow pictures yesterday. I didn't even know they did a senior slide show. We're supposed to submit one baby picture (of student only), one recent picture (student only), and one picture with friends (any age).

bgscheel-- your picture is so cute!

I'm not sure what I'll send for a baby picture. DS was adopted as a toddler so we don't really have any "baby" pictures. And he was in pretty rough shape (malnourished, anemic, covered in scabies) when we got him. I've got some cute ones from when he's about 2-1/2 or 3, but I don't know if that will be too different from what everyone else is sending in.

Funny, we do not do slide shows or pictures wanted at our school. Love seeing them little. I keep a picture of both my kids as toddlers at my desk. Fun to see how much they have grown.

They did baby picture/current picture at the senior fashion show. Graduation is in the daylight on the football field, so that wouldn’t work.

design_mom - Our seniors bring a baby pic for the Senior Brunch. We put them on a board with numbers and they play guess the baby. Some kids at our school bring a picture of when they were a tiny baby and some bring a pic from around 2 or so.

We had to turn in baby pictures a while ago - for a "guess who?" page in the yearbook, and DS says they just project their regular senior picture at graduation (which he loved at the time, but of course hates now :sad2:).

They asked for "younger years" pics a while ago as well, but he didn't want me to volunteer any - as the ones I had were with different kids than he hangs out with now. I caved on that one, but am secretly hoping one of the other moms sent their copy in. :ssst:

My DD is burnt out! She has all A's but is really in her words "done with high school" LOL. I think she'll be at Mizzou in the J school, although she is holding out hope for Northwestern or Vanderbilt to come through with an amazing scholarship that will make them affordable (not gonna happen)! Moody, tired, crabby whew! Now I understand when people would say by the time college comes around you will be ready for them to go!

Our HS is small. DS's class is 120 students (his sister's class of '17 was only 90). Each kid gets 1/3 page in the yearbook so they have senior picture and baby picture in that spot.

I booked flights and hotel to go to FL Tech accepted student day 3/22. DS didn't want to miss school the following Monday so finding a reasonably priced flight home wasn't easy.

We plan to sign up for Clarkson accepted student day 3/30 but that's drivable - 8 1/2 hours each way.

I'm ready to have the decision made. So is DS.

Senior-itis has kicked in here. Granted, having a college all set doesn't help that either. He had his best semester (GPA-wise) 1st semester this year, but now he's hitting a wall, it seems. AP Physics has been suffering lately and he's chosen not to take the AP exam, because it wouldn't gain him anything in his major - none of his classes he needs to take will accept the exam for credit, so he's thinking it's an unnecessary stress.

His trip to DC was great, but it (along with the polar vortex) put him behind in a couple classes, so he's digging out of a hole and this weekend is his VEX robotics competition, so he's been spending a lot of extra hours at school finishing up that as well. He's ready for senior year to be done.

I'm not sure what I'll send for a baby picture. DS was adopted as a toddler so we don't really have any "baby" pictures. And he was in pretty rough shape (malnourished, anemic, covered in scabies) when we got him. I've got some cute ones from when he's about 2-1/2 or 3, but I don't know if that will be too different from what everyone else is sending in.

Send a cute toddler one, it's the best you can do and cute is always good. DD intentionally chose one from after she turned one, because she looked cuter and not just unrecognizable baby-blob.

Our senior slideshow is played at senior night in the auditorium, where awards and scholarships are announced. I forget if the baby/senior pics are side by side, or consecutive so there's a few seconds to guess. DD needs to submit a current head shot. She's planning to get another round of senior pics Sunday afternoon, now without braces :teeth:. She has a number of "creative" shots her cousin did, but we're finding for certain purposes we need some that are more traditional.

We got our request for senior slideshow pictures yesterday. I didn't even know they did a senior slide show. We're supposed to submit one baby picture (of student only), one recent picture (student only), and one picture with friends (any age).

bgscheel-- your picture is so cute!

In my DD's yearbook there were tons of toddler vs infant photos.:thumbsup2

She's planning to get another round of senior pics Sunday afternoon, now without braces :teeth:. She has a number of "creative" shots her cousin did, but we're finding for certain purposes we need some that are more traditional.

Congrats to your DD!

DS gets his off Tuesday, and I think we may do some new pics in the spring as well. We already had to turn in the yearbook one (he chose a serious one that didn't show them) but I'd like some smiling ones for us.

My DD is burnt out! She has all A's but is really in her words "done with high school" LOL. I think she'll be at Mizzou in the J school, although she is holding out hope for Northwestern or Vanderbilt to come through with an amazing scholarship that will make them affordable (not gonna happen)! Moody, tired, crabby whew! Now I understand when people would say by the time college comes around you will be ready for them to go!

I am right there with you! DD is so stressed right now that she turns into a screeching harpy if you look at her sideways. It's freezing cold here, and the car she drives is a 2000 Ford Explorer (we bought it about a month before she was born since DH couldn't drive a stick and a car seat didn't fit in my Eclipse). It sits outside on the driveway over night, and surprise surprise, it's cold in the morning so the belts are screeching, the RPMs are low, basically the poor thing is almost frozen and needs to be warmed up.

I get a phone call at work (I leave for work at 5:30am) which is about an hour away saying that there's something wrong with the car and she can't drive it to school, which is just over a mile away. I try to tell her that just like the other times she's called me about the car being messed up, it's cold, and she'll need to let it warm up with her foot on the gas to keep it going until everything is cycled. Nope, I'm a horrible mother, why don't I ever believe her when she tells me this (maybe because EVERY SINGLE TIME the car warms up and it runs fine), she's wrong, I'm right, she's a horrible person, etc. (she gets very "martyrish" too)

Ugh! I'm hoping she declines to take the AP Calc test, math isn't her best subject and she's tanking the class, and every school she applies to will only take 12 credit hours of AP credits anyway so it's not like it's going to transfer.

Add my DD to the list of kids just wanting to be done. She's still focusing well enough in class and had an excellent first semester, and she's beyond anxious for softball to get rolling, but she's just DONE with her school, the uniforms, the small town we live in, all the stuff that didn't bother her four years ago when she chose the small private school over a bigger, more diverse public option. She cut her hair right before Snowcoming and I think at this point it is about pushing the limits as much as being about fashion. The pixie cut looks great on her, but she's been seeing how much she can get away with in terms of metallic hair chalk, not going out of her way to hide her tongue ring, "forgetting" to take the earring out of her cartilage piercing, etc. too. Her class also successfully lobbied for the return of senior quotes in the yearbook, after several years without because a previous class made it into a big fight, so she's pondering how subversive she can get away with being on that without crossing any lines. It is kind of funny watching her do her form of rebellion, because she's always been a really good, easy-going kid and even in this she hasn't done anything she didn't warn me about or anything I'd object to.

We've had 9 snow days in the last 3 weeks, only one of them for actual snow, so there's a bit of cabin fever going on around here too, the kids getting on each other's nerves, everyone sick of "virtual" school days (they have to log on to Google Classroom and work on bad-weather days once we exceed the 5 that are built into the year), me climbing the walls trying to work at home without the quiet of an empty house. So that's not helping either. Right now, the weather forecast looks uneventful for the foreseeable future and I'm really hoping it stays that way!

CODisneyfreaks- DS's car is a '98 and does the same thing. I'm over these freezing temps in NE!

DS has his absolute hardest semester ever so he's trying to juggle keeping his grades up. He got frustrated at lax practice and threatened to quit. I hope we can get him through the last season because I love to watch him play. He does not plan to play in college. He really wants a job and we finally convinced him that it just doesn't make sense.

I think one school will have decisions out next week and the rest in late March. It will be so nice once he can make a decision!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!