Parents of the Class of 2019

The place where dd20 and ds18 worked in HS begged dd to work there, and she wants to, but she will have track practice everyday after school, dance almost every night, meets on Saturdays. However, maybe they will consider training her for the summer (cashier, not rocket science). She teaches a couple of dance classe a week, plus one private lesson.

Bjscheel, how many lessons does she take? Our voice coach charges $70 an hour, so my kids went once a week (dd15 just uses her to prep for auditions).

Bjscheel, how many lessons does she take? Our voice coach charges $70 an hour, so my kids went once a week (dd15 just uses her to prep for auditions).

She goes on Thursdays after school for about a half hour. She just started this winter. It is a high school friend of mine who is a SAHM but has a music education degree. I asked her recently to let me know when and how much to pay her and she just said she probably owed me gas money for rides home from college. So this may have to be a gift card situation for payment!

No job yet here, although she wants one pretty bad. We'd love for her to have a summer job, but not excited about one during the school year yet.

No job here yet either. She's thinking about summer job possibilities, though, because FIL has been ill this year and might not be well enough to fish this summer and she usually works for him.

DD works part time for me, but we'd like to see her with steadier work in the Summer. We'll see.

My daughter had a part time job last summer, she currently teaches figure skating twice a week and works 2 shifts at our local drug store (either 2 after school or 1 after school and 1 Saturday a week).

The kids don't do course selection until June.

Tried to take DS to get his permit yesterday. They were almost to our number, when the whole block the DMV is located in lost power. They closed for the day. :(

That's frustrating on the DMV!

Today was individual district speech contest. We got there maybe 35 minutes before DD's acting piece was scheduled but they had a lot of kids drop and she went early. We just missed it. I don't think she knew she could decline to go early and her coach didn't know we were coming. Good news is we'll get to watch her at State in two weeks because she got a I. DD18 also performed later so it wasn't a wasted trip. And we watched several other kids from school.

This Saturday is Science Olympiad for DD. She'll be glad to be done with it. It's been up and down, her partner finally came through and helped with the work, but DD did end up building the helicopter all by herself, which knowing how klutzy her partner is may not be a bad thing. They have to be there at 7:00 am and it's 2 hours away, so we're going to split the difference and stay with my parents in Colorado Springs for the night to make it easier.

Then we just have driver's license testing coming up! I'm sure she's just a little nervous about it, but she's playing it cool so far.

LOL tonight I ordered two pairs of shoes at JCPenney for DD to try for prom- at 25% off clearance price, I'm hoping one will be suitable. AND I ordered part of her Homecoming outfit for next fall already! Thought I would share it here in case anyone else was interested. She found it a couple months ago, but was out of stock and I just got an email that they were back in stock:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jhsu/?cpg=bise_jhsu
(LED light up constellation skirt)

Not sure what top she'll put with it, but should be fun and unique for the dance!

DD doesn't turn 16 until June so she's hoping to find a job a couple weeks before and asking them if they would hire her before she's 16 with a start date near her birthday.

About college visits, is everyone cramming them in before Summer? We have quite a few planned for March and April.

DD doesn't turn 16 until June so she's hoping to find a job a couple weeks before and asking them if they would hire her before she's 16 with a start date near her birthday.

About college visits, is everyone cramming them in before Summer? We have quite a few planned for March and April.

We don't have any planned.

We have one more planned for sure and another that we're hoping to squeeze in. I'd rather do it in the spring because the school (Notre Dame) is a big football school and planning fall visits to avoid games proved to be a real pain this past fall, but if it has to wait it has to wait. There are two others she'd like to get to but I'm not sure when we'll have time... probably not until next school year.

How many schools are you planning on touring in all? DD's college counselor recommends six but I'm not sure we'll get to that many. All her top choices are out of state so visiting means travel, and both time and money are getting in the way. We've only done one official campus tour so far, which led to a major restructuring of her list of priorities in a college. We'll get to another over spring break, and she's done summer camps at two other schools she was interested in (and crossed them both off based on those experiences).

We actually have 7 colleges so far. I don't think there will be anymore. We haven't seen any yet but this month we will get to 3 or 4 of them. 5 of them are out of state so I understand what you mean about time and money.

How wonderful that your daughter go to experience Summer camp at some choices and helped her to come to that decision.

Hi everyone! I've been reading through this thread for the last couple of days and I'd love to join in. What a great place to share information and resources and joys about all things related to the Class of 2019 and just generally support each other! I also was really interested to see how things are done differently in other places. So, about us...

My DD is 15 and will be 16 the end of June.

About her school--She attends a K-12 STEM public charter school in Texas that has about 90 ish students in each high school class. It is open enrollment by lottery selection. It has about 90% minority enrollment. Just like a previous poster talked about, there are ridiculous discipline problems in my DD regular classes, but the AP and pre-AP classes have the more serious students and are a pretty good learning environment. Also, it was great in 5th grade and junior high because they put all the GT and highest grades kids in one section and allowed them to take advanced classes and really pushed them academically. I am really awed and humbled to say that currently she is number one in the Sophomore class.

Activities--
At school she participates in track, National Honor Society, UIL Academics competitions (she is doing Prose this year), various science and engineering fairs and competitions, and a program at school called CRLP (if invited by the administration to participate, the kids meet every Saturday for SAT prep and then with their teacher mentor for their small group of five or six students. They also attend two weekend retreats a year. And a weeklong STEM Camp. It is supposed to help with college readiness, learn about opportunities, help with grades accountability, and promote leadership.)

Re: finding jobs--we are really lucky in that she was offered a job when she turned 14 coaching gymnastics. It is perfect because she coaches level 3 compulsory team kids, so no weekends, and the gym is usually closed all holidays and spring break for those compulsory team kids and the class kids. And they are also very understanding if she needs to occasionally take off a work day for a school event. She does work year round, 2 nights a week for 3 1/2 hours after school during the school year and 5 hours 2 days a week in the summer. They want her more but when she started at 14 she was limited by law to 10 hours per week during the school year, and with her AP and dual credit classes (and she has still been doing PT 2 nights a week for recovery from shoulder surgery in August), I don't want her to do more. She used to be a competitive gymnast and when she had a career ending injury at 13, it was so nice of the gym owners to offer her a coaching job. It allows her to be in the gym and see her old teammates, even thought she can no longer compete. Plus I love that now she has her own spending money and savings account, AND I'm not paying out thousands any more TO the gym. LOL

We started looking at colleges the summer before her freshman year. So far her number one choice is Rice. This Saturday she is attending a prospective students daylong event at SMU. She got an invitation to it, and it's 30 minutes away, so she is going to check it out.

Looking forward to taking this journey with you all!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter