Paid My Dues with a CC and got $300 back

Shelly F - Ohio

Disney Extraordinaire
I recently applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. It awards you a $300 statement credit when you pay for travel using the card.. I have no other travel expenses on this card just the charge from the DVC dues. So you don't have to purchase a hotel stay or airline ticket to get the $300 credit. Well I paid our DVC dues and automatically got the $300 credited to the card for 2016. I will pay the other half of our DVC dues in Jan 2017 and earn another $300 travel credit. ( getting the $300 now and $300 in Jan will only occur if your dues payment is included in the Dec closing date of your statement. For example my Dec CC statement closes Dec 23 and my payment posted Dec 17).

So if you are thinking about getting the card this is a great benefit and paying your dues helps reach the required $4k that needs to be spent in order to get the 100,000 rewards points that can be used toward travel expenses.

Also I earned 3 times the amount of rewards points toward the dues purchase since it was classified as a travel purchase. (ie: $1000 in dues will get you 3000 rewards points)

Last edited:
Score! Good for you and thanks for sharing. :)

Hey thanks for sharing this!!! Love my sapphire reserve but didn't realize I could get the triple points on my dues. Thanks!!!

That is great news. Many people have reported that DVC dues on Chase Sapphire Reserve does not code as travel. (Last year)

I didn't think it was considered travel either. Anybody know if Disney theme park tickets would code as travel? Our annual passes did not.

I didn't think it was considered travel either. Anybody know if Disney theme park tickets would code as travel? Our annual passes did not.
Theme park tickets do not code as travel. However, the Disney Vacation Account does code as travel, so you can deposit money in the DVA and buy your tickets using the DVA. To do this, you will need to get your tickets from Disney. This also works for Annual Passes. Call Member Services and they can set you up with an annual pass or ticket package using your DVA.

I recently renewed our Gold AP's using the DVA.

That is great news. Many people have reported that DVC dues on Chase Sapphire Reserve does not code as travel. (Last year)
Oh this card is brand new type of card from Chase. They just came out with this card in Sept 2016 so you must mean another Chase card. Maybe the Preferred card is the one others were saying did not work.

Just checked. Chase Sapphire Reserve has $450 annual fee & it apparently is not waived the first year. I don't use cards with annual fees on principle. But that's just me.

Just checked. Chase Sapphire Reserve has $450 annual fee & it apparently is not waived the first year. I don't use cards with annual fees on principle. But that's just me.
Yes, that was me too. But what makes the CSR different is that they give a $300 travel credit for the first $300 you spend on travel during the calendar year. This makes the net cost per year a $150 annual fee. That is still high, but they pay for your Global Entry pass from TSA. They offer credit card points one time bonus worth $1500 in travel. And travel and dining get 3 points per dollar spent. So for me, the card made sense. Plus, I was looking to get rid of my card from Wells Fargo because I do not like how they were creating fraudulent accounts for their customers. So the CSR offers huge value, but if you are not receiving the value after a few years, you can cancel the card and still you have come out ahead. The promotional bonus ends soon, so this card will be less compelling after Jan 13.

Yes, that was me too. But what makes the CSR different is that they give a $300 travel credit for the first $300 you spend on travel during the calendar year. This makes the net cost per year a $150 annual fee. That is still high, but they pay for your Global Entry pass from TSA. They offer credit card points one time bonus worth $1500 in travel. And travel and dining get 3 points per dollar spent. So for me, the card made sense. Plus, I was looking to get rid of my card from Wells Fargo because I do not like how they were creating fraudulent accounts for their customers. So the CSR offers huge value, but if you are not receiving the value after a few years, you can cancel the card and still you have come out ahead. The promotional bonus ends soon, so this card will be less compelling after Jan 13.

I personally feel this is by far the best travel rewards card out there...by a huge margin. One thing to consider, the first year you have the card, you actually can get $600 in travel credits for your $450 annual fee. This is assuming you close the account after 1 year. The annual travel credit is based on a calendar year, not your anniversary date. So if you got the card today, you could go out and buy $300 in Southwest gift cards, and that will trigger the credit. Your first statement would be $150. ($450 -$300 credit). Then once your December statement closes, your $300 credit resets. So then on January 1st of 2018, you can go buy another $300 Southwest gift card and it will be reimbursed. If you then cancel the card before your annual fee hits, you basically took in $600 in credits for one $450 annual fee. It's not really what Chase is hoping you do, and I personally will be keeping the card because there are so many awesome benefits to the card, but it's a pretty lucrative offer.

Chase is actually reportedly lowering the initial signup bonus from 100,000 to 50,000 next week. I have heard that it will still be 100,000 if you apply in-branch through a banker until sometime in March. So if you are on the fence about getting this card, don't wait.

I recently applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. It awards you a $300 statement credit when you pay for travel using the card.. I have no other travel expenses on this card just the charge from the DVC dues. So you don't have to purchase a hotel stay or airline ticket to get the $300 credit. Well I paid our DVC dues and automatically got the $300 credited to the card for 2016. I will pay the other half of our DVC dues in Jan 2017 and earn another $300 travel credit. ( getting the $300 now and $300 in Jan will only occur if your dues payment is included in the Dec closing date of your statement. For example my Dec CC statement closes Dec 23 and my payment posted Dec 17).

So if you are thinking about getting the card this is a great benefit and paying your dues helps reach the required $4k that needs to be spent in order to get the 100,000 rewards points that can be used toward travel expenses.

Also I earned 3 times the amount of rewards points toward the dues purchase since it was classified as a travel purchase. (ie: $1000 in dues will get you 3000 rewards points)

Thanks for posting this! I've been on the fence about signing up for this one but DVC dues coding as travel made the decision for me. Plus, with talk that the 100,000 sign up bonus is getting cut to 50,000 after January 12, I decided not to wait any longer.

I got the CSR card and wanted to add my wife as a co-signer. Chase will let me add her as an authorized user, but not as a joint owner. But they helpfully suggested that she could apply in her own right. And she can use the total family income on her app just like I did.
So now we will soon have 300,000 points between us worth $4500 if spent for travel, as well as $1200 in travel credits between us. We are going on an ABD trip later this year, so the points are adding up fast.

Just a reminder to anyone who applied, the $450 annual fee DOES NOT count towards the $4k you must spend in order to get the bonus. I know a person who made that mistake and it caused them to not get the bonus and Chase would not make an exception.

Thanks for posting this. I applied for it and got approved.

Just an FYI, if anyone is thinking of getting this card, the website says today is the last day of the 100,000 point offer.

You come out way ahead with this card as well as many others if you use them properly. The $300 credit is per calendar year so if you were to get it now, you get $300 in 2017 and you would get another $300 in 2018 and could cancel the card if you wanted before next year's annual fee comes due. Just with that you come out $150 ahead. You can't simply look at cost. You have to determine the net with factoring in the benefits. If you travel regulary, the $150 net cost per year is well worth the travel benefits.

I have had this card for 2 years now. I never heard of a $300 statement credit for travel. I think when I signed up they gave me the equivalent of $400 in points but I actually don't remember.

But since Disney Vacation Club maintenance fees count as a travel expense, I, too, got 3x my maintenance fee $$$ in Ultimate awards. Thank you Chase!

I have had this card for 2 years now. I never heard of a $300 statement credit for travel. I think when I signed up they gave me the equivalent of $400 in points but I actually don't remember.

But since Disney Vacation Club maintenance fees count as a travel expense, I, too, got 3x my maintenance fee $$$ in Ultimate awards. Thank you Chase!

I am under the impression that the Chase Reserve card was a new card offering in 2016.

I am under the impression that the Chase Reserve card was a new card offering in 2016.
I looked it up and you're correct.

I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. This one looks interesting. Any advantages, or disadvantages, of the Sapphire Reserve card over the Sapphire Preferred card?

I looked it up and you're correct.

I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. This one looks interesting. Any advantages, or disadvantages, of the Sapphire Reserve card over the Sapphire Preferred card?

Yes, there are a few. Here's a link to a quick comparison. Though the 100,000 bonus point offer ended online Jan 12th I believe if one goes into apply at a branch before sometime in March you can still get it. It has a hefty fee but with the $300 travel credit it comes down much closer to the Preferred and with the additional earnings you can catch up pretty easily.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-sapphire-preferred-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter