Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably focus on London and Paris during a 10-12 trip (with day trips outside London to see the countryside) or the same amount of time in Italy, focusing on Rome and Venice. We will avoid the summer travel prices since we aren’t tied to summer vacations. I want to spend enough time in each place, so we will limit the trip to two major cities per trip and hopefully do the second trip the following year.

Limiting how many places you visit is good in Europe. We really like to get the feel of the place. We have been to all of these and really loved them all. London and France were the first places outside the US that our son visited when he was 3. Go grocery shopping; it’s enlightening.

I feel like MDE already kinda limits me with additional FP+. I have found that if I am browsing on my own profile after using multiple FP+ (say all mountains in MK) vs someone else like my friend who HATES roller coasters and doesn't book them or go on them, she always has better additional FP+ availability.

there would definitely be some incentive to staying on site, but maybe it is a reduced cost or you get 3 included (for lesser rides) and then have to pay whereas off site has to pay for everything, or something

My thought is if they move to pay for FP then everyone will have access to do that whether you stay on property or not and I can't help but think that will increase chance for people staying off site to get access to the few really hard to get FPs - and if I don't then I won't pay as I am not paying for a FP for rides that really don't need it

The way I read one of Martin's posts is that whatever the changes are onsite guests would maintain a booking window advantage. Who knows if that's for just the "free" FP's or if it includes any additional purchased FP's. It sounds like they are still mulling over the final details and pricing.

Martin very specifically said it won’t be an on site v off site thing (meaning everyone would be able to purchase whatever the new thing is). I just suspect off site is going to have such a late window to be eligible that there won’t be any super headliners left.

Yeah, he was indicating that the onsite advantage would still be in the booking window.

Seriously, people think just because a certain person said it, it must be true. I can tell you that isn't the case.

Additionally, this would spell the end of Disney World in the long term. Seriously, people would be willing to pay this now while the economy is doing well, but our good economy is built on a very shakey foundation right now of YouTube income, subscription economy, rideshares and many other things that can't last. Within the next 10 to 15 years, we will see a downturn in the economy and people will be making tough choices about where to spend any extra money and they will not look favorably on companies that have been doing stuff like this. And I am sure Disney is well aware they are on the brink of pushing things too far, which is another reason I say this is fake news.

I think there is probably some tweeks coming. It may not turn out to be the major overhaul being speculated here.

Here is what I would love to see. (IF they are going to charge)

The elimination of EMH (lets admit it -- its coming. Why would they keep giving away for free what people are willing to pay for in EMM?)
Drop the free Fast Passes to 2.
Charge for the third.
Give resort guests that third fast pass for free with the ability to UPGRADE (just that 3rd one) to a anytime/anywhere fast pass for a fee.

The perks for staying onsite are less (especially now they charge you for parking at the hotel). I would love the option to have a flexible anytime fast pass. I LOVE getting those when a ride breaks down that I had a FP for. I would continue to stay in Disney hotels for that perk.

Are you saying this is what you want to see if they are making changes anyway, or that this is what you want to see no matter what?

Eliminating EMH is what you actually want to happen? Like, drop the perk altogether so you can pay for it instead?

And kill your three "free" fastpasses so you can now be charged additional money for the third one (albeit anytime vs. scheduled)?

I'm not getting how you feel this is better.

Yeah, he was indicating that the onsite advantage would still be in the booking window.
I imagine if you pay though, you also get the advance booking window, whether on site or off, or else why buy more FP's if not guaranteed what you really want (aka a headliner)?

Martin edited his original post

To clarify a few things, since I now can:

“Free” FP will still be available as they are now. However they may not be free for the more popular attractions, or the ratio of “free” fast passes for the more popular attractions may be reduced. The ratio may be fluid, or alter over time. You may find you can’t get a “free” fastpass for Mine Train since they’ve “all run out” but you may then magically be able to pay for one.

There may be at least three different packages of paid fast pass available. As I understand it there maybe a limit on re rides (no more fast passing BTM then getting another one in the same day) depending on the product purchased.

This may be implemented on the newest and shiniest attractions first, once said attractions begin to take fastpass. The ratio here will possibly start quite low in favour of free passes and slowly change.

This may happen later this year

I think it's worth repeating that there are no free fast passes. The FastPass system overhead is baked into the cost of admission. It's much like the parking overhead was baked into the cost of your resort.

Much like parking, Disney is mulling charging you a second time for fast passes. They'll probably do a little better job of making it feel like a perk when they do though (unlike with parking).

I think it's worth repeating that there are no free fast passes. The FastPass system overhead is baked into the cost of admission. It's much like the parking overhead was baked into the cost of your resort.

Much like parking, Disney is mulling charging you a second time for fast passes. They'll probably do a little better job of making it feel like a perk when they do though (unlike with parking).

Guess we could say "included FP" vs "Free"

"The ratio may be fluid, or alter over time." Of course it will...Disney does love to live in the ill-defined gray area of things. I understand how it serves their purpose, but as a lover of clarity, it does get tiring sometimes. Which reminds me, I wonder how it will affect Rider Swap - my kids are older but I'm often baffled how unclear it seems to be in practice...

Martin edited his original post

This last posts makes more sense to me. This is a tweeking of the current system. I've been expecting something like this to take place. It isn't a major overhaul and I don't see this as doom and gloom. Obviously we still need to see the final details and pricing. At this point I feel like I will like the changes, but won't know for sure until it's announced.

It sounds like these "extra" FP's will be sold in packages. I feel like if you were going for a week and could by a pkg that guaranteed a FP for a 1/2 dozen of the headliners an overwhelming majority would jump on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter