Packing... rolling your clothes

I do roll my clothes, but I dont ziplock them too. Seems redundant to me. I will roll all my shirts in one roll. When I stack my shirts to be rolled, I put the ones I want to preserve the most on the bottom, and the t-shirts (less worried about being wrinkled) on top. I fold the sleeves in and start the roll from the bottom towards the neck. I roll it very tight! So tight that a ziplock isn't going to help. I then use one of my belts and wrap around the roll to keep it tight.
One roll for shirts, one roll for pnats and shorts.
And yes, Wrinkle Releaser does work good, but sometimes you have to spray so much the shirt gets a little soaked. Just allow some time.

Bill

Rolling-
One post described rolling all shirts into one roll. When rolling clothes to pack a suit case, do you roll all like clothes together or do you roll each individual garment?

Ziplock-
How many garments do you fit into each 2 gal ziplock bag?

Its a 2.5 gallon Ziplock Bag. I buy mine at Target.;) No, I do not "Roll" the clothes, I lay them out flat and fold them like you would find them in the store, and than I "partially" Ziplock the bag, and than 'Squeeze' the excess air out by "rolling" the bag WITH the clothes inside.....than I ZIP!;) And YES, my DH "rolls" his eyes EVERYTIME he sees me do this!:eek: ;)

I just finished packing most of DD (9m) and my clothes...I decided to give the ziplock and rolling method a try.

IT WORKED GREAT! I was amazed at all the stuff I got into 1 suitcase. We are staying 1 week, and I don't want to do any laundry, so I WAY over packed...enough for twice the time I'm sure.

I rolled most of my stuff and just folded hers. Sandwich size for her, 2 gallon for me. I could fit 2 tees and a short, undies. socks...all in one bag...squeeze the air out and WHALA! The bags slide against each other and make the best room.

All I have left to pack is toiletries, hair stuff, and last minute washes.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Am I ever glad I found this thread! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

A little over a month ago, we traded in our minivan (a 1996 Plymouth Voyager) for a brand new, red 2003 Volkswagen Beetle ("yeah... he took the RED one!") :teeth: - it's actually a company car for my husband. Well, we live in a condo apartment with only one parking space, so it's our only vehicle. We always drive on our trips to WDW because we love road trips (honest!) and it's so much cheaper for us than flying (especially since our WDW trips are usually fairly last-minute events. I think one month is the longest I've ever been given the luxury to plan ahead!) Needless to say, our packing mindset has to change from "let's take this, it might come in handy" to "if we need it, we'll pick it up once we get there!"

We figured we could use Space Bags, but the ones we can easily get here around Toronto require a vacuum to get all the air out. The Ziplock solution sounds like a winner to me, especially since we can pre-pack our daughters' clothes for each day in separate bags. (And my husband won't have to ask me what shorts go with what top for the kids!) ;)

Now all I have to do is find someplace up here in Target-less Canada that sells the larger bags! (Of course, I can always pick some up at Target the next time we go to visit my parents in Indiana!) ;)

Thanks to everyone for the great tips in this thread!

Sandy

On another board, some nice person MAILED the Ziplock bags to a fellow Canadian as she could NOT find any or order any.;)

Call Grandma in Indiana and have her send you those ziplocs QUICK! If she can't find them, send me a pm and I'll get them for you. One thing we have lots of here in Indiana is Targets! I am forever mailing stuff to my sister in Alaska. Her shopping is limited there, too. She misses Doritos and Bath & Body Works products... I am off to Target this very week to get some of these larger bags and begin this rolling-practice for my trip in June! :)

PS: We have a Honda minivan that I just love and last year the door needed repair. They gave us a rental car while they fixed the van and all that was available was... a red new Beetle. My kids were in heaven! We had to go "cruising" in the little thing. It made me sorta claustrophobic as I am used to the van, but it sure was cute and the kids wanted to keep it... You will definitely need to "pack light" if you are taking your bug to WDW!

Thanks, Colleen, for the offer... I don't think we'll need to take you up on it, though, since I'm pretty sure we'll be going down to see my folks prior to us going back down to WDW (although, with our track record, one never knows!) That's awful sweet of you to offer to send them to us, though! I'll let you know if I change my mind, for sure!
:D :Pinkbounc :teeth: :bounce: :sunny:

Ah, Bloomington... I'm a grad from ol' IU myself! (But I'm not going to date myself yet by saying what year!) :eek:

Yup, Indiana is chock-full of Targets... sure, Canada brings in Wal-Mart about 10 years ago, but what about Target???? (Please, please, please, please, PLEASE!!!!!!!!) ;) ;) ;) ;)

And as much as I *loved* our minivan, I have definitely fallen in love with our Little Red! (So have our girls, although Kellie still says sometimes that she misses our van... awwwww!) In fact, I just sat in one of the new Beetle Convertibles yesterday... too bad we can't have a second car! :smooth: :smooth: :smooth:

Sandy (and Brian, Bonnie & Kellie!)
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Originally posted by bananiem
I can just throw a bag at each kid in the morning and tell them to put on everything in it. Socks, clothes, undies, hair bows, etc.
It really does make it easier on the kids (and therefore easier on you) to get ready in the morning if the clothes are packaged by day. (Although I'm pretty sure my teenaged boys are going to object to the hair bows.)

Help!

After all the reading on this board, call me naive, but I am still bewildered how this works.

Do you lie all the shirts on top of each other, fold the arms and then roll from bottom to top. THen when you have the roll, do you put in ziplock and squeeze air out and zip? Or do you fold everything, put in ziplock? I think I have the folding option down, but not sure how the roll thing works. Seems like if people do both, it works out better?

Can you help me understand so I can give it a try? I start packing tomorrow for a departure for Saturday so I need to figure this out quick.

Thanks so much@!

jerzgrl: Fold your shirts, like you would find them at the clothing store, as FLAT as you Can! Place them IN the ZIP LOCK bag. ZIP the ZIP to about Half way closed....start ROLLING the bag TOWARDS the Zip Lock. SQUEEZE Out excess AIR! QUICKLY ZIP it CLOSED and UN-ROLL! WAL-LAA! It s nice and FLAT and your clothes are nice and FLAT inside the bag!;) (really its not that hard).;)

Thanks so much! i thought you had to roll them and leave them in a roll, that's what I couldn't under stand. I hope they don't get too wrinkled!

Thanks again - I'll be off to packing tonight!!!

This is a great help. We are switching resorts 3 times on this next trip (Wilderness Loge Villas, Old Key West, Hilton Head) and I think having stuff in the bags will make life a lot easier. I think the kids' stuff will fit in a regular gallon bag.

Thanks!

PS -- JerZgirl... A pal from college lives in Hamilton on Wolfpack Road. Is that by you?

Have a great trip!

I have looked at Target, Meijer and Wal-mart. Where do you people find the bigger zip lock bags. All I have found are the gallon.

I have only EVER seen these at Target. In the aisle with the regular baggies and Ziplocs. If your Target doesn't have them maybe you can try another Target?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter