Overwhelmed with planning our first trip in SoCal and DLR in April 2018

If you are worried about the hotels go ahead and book what you want and just make sure the hotel has a cancellation policy that will work for you. Most of the hotels in the area let you cancel really close to the arrival date without penalty. Some people book multiple hotels until they decide exactly which one they want. One thing that is fairly sure is the closer you get to your dates the more expensive the hotels will be. You can always cancel if you want but your can't book old prices once they are gone.

So, I haven't read all the comments. It seems overwhelming. I think your initial plans are also too packed.

I'd fly into San Diego. I would skip the zoo. We had a horrific experience. Haven't been to zoos since. I've heard the wild animal park isn't so bad.

If you must fly into lax: I'd start my trip on Sunday at Disneyland. That way you can see f! If you want. Then sleep in while your DH does his surf thing. Then drive to San Diego. Spend the night there. Enjoy the next day or two there doing something. Drive to Anaheim in time to sleep at your hotel there. Spend the next couple of days in the parks.

You could consider just buying your dh a 2 day pass.

3 Days isn't enough to do a tour imo.

If you want to "see" the Pacific Coast by driving to San Diego, then what you want to do is drive down Pacific Coast Highway rather than the freeway (starting in LA, you can pick up PCH and take it all the way to Dana Point) . This is a very beautiful drive that takes you through interesting beach towns, including Sunset Beach, Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar and Laguna Beach--the best in my opinion). Know that driving down PCH will be at least twice as long as the freeway... although to continue on to San Diego you would have to pick up the freeway in Dana Point. So I would give yourself four hours to get to San Diego if you wanted to do this, or even make it an all-day thing so you can actually stop in the various towns to see the sights.

I also wanted to share that you said you like driving... driving down PCH with no timetable is very enjoyable. Driving on the freeways during traffics horrible... no matter how might you like driving. You just creep along, inch by inch. It's not fun.

If Hollywood/LA doesn't appeal to you (it does not appeal to me!), I would waste no time getting a rental car at the airport and immediately getting on PCH for your leisurely drive along the coast to San Diego. Don't worry about spending any time in LA.

Finally, Dana Point is not a close-by beach for your DH to take surfing lessons while you go to Disney. It is about a 45-minute drive from the DLR. Huntington Beach is closer.

Great tips thank you. I think we will do just that, drive to SD directly from LAX on the PCH. The advantage of an adult-only trip is that we can take as long as we want to drive to San Diego.

Even before the new version debuted, the versions at DL and WDW were already different (I don't think they were ever carbon copies). I think the DHS version has much better seating, but the DL version is the better show. If you can, I would see the DL version at least once (although, maybe it would be better to see the DHS version first so you aren't left feeling disappointed...at least that's how I felt after seeing the DHS version, especially regarding the dragon and the finale). Either way, I would strongly consider getting a dining package because then you don't have to worry about getting a FP. However, it would be worth asking when FPs are running out much closer to your trip; right now, it's still a new show so the demand is high. By April, things might have calmed down.

I will book a F! package then. Do they get booked quickly now that F! has a new version?

I would do either LA or SD not both. I am not a fan of LA at all so my suggestion is SD. LA is a no for me. Personal preference. Santa Monica was a jolt after a nice peaceful week in La Jolla. Nope. Nope. Nope.

We flew into LAX because we saved $1200 as a family for a SD vacation. It took us about 5-6 hours to get to SD from LAX. Never will I do that again! Driving is terrible and downright scary at times.

We stayed in La Jolla for 8 nights and 1 night near LAX before our flight home (with a visit to Santa Monica - wish we would have skipped it). We did drive up to DLR for one full day in the middle of the week and it worked fine. We left La Jolla at 6:00am and came home after 11:00pm.

If you do decide to go to SD there is a lot more to it than the zoo. Check out Old Town, Donut Bar, shops in La Jolla Village, Birch Aquarium, Coronado Island etc.

Donut bar?!? I agree that there's probably a lot more to do in SD than the zoo and once I book my hotels, the next thing I will do is research the area.

Well then I would vote for dumping Santa Monica Pier and LA from the itinerary and adding a day to the San Diego time. There have already been a number of great suggestions for things to do in addition to the zoo. I personally love San Diego as a tourist. Drive to Anaheim on the Tuesday, and do DLR Wednesday through Friday. How early is the flight home? Either drive to a hotel near LAX late Friday after the worst of the traffic, or get up crazy early the next morning to get to the airport in LAX from Anaheim.

Looks like there's a consensus about Santa Monica pier and LA! How late can I expect DLR to stay open on a Friday evening late April? I know the official hours are not released yet but maybe there's a trend? If it's not crazy late, I think we would stay at a hotel close to LAX since our 8:30am flight is considered international so I need to get there 3h prior. Luckily, we go thru US Customs in Montreal on our way down so our flight will be considered domestic on arrival.

Something to think about:

Sat 4/21: Arrive at LAX, get rental car and drive to Huntington Beach, stay overnight in hotel there
Sun 4/22: Enjoy Huntington Beach, then drive to San Diego, drop by La Jolla Children's Pool & see the sea lions there (hopefully they'll have pups, maybe watch sunset from there) - have dinner at Seaport Village in San Diego
Mon 4/23: San Diego Zoo (or San Diego Safari Park - both close around 5pm, and spring is a good time to visit - I've been to both, and have segments on our podcast about them) - have dinner at Old Town if you spent time at zoo
Tue 4/24: Drive up to LA - either drive up PCH and enjoy places like Beachcombers for lunch at Crystal Cove Cottages, or visit Mission San Juan Capistrano and eat at a nearby restaurant for lunch
Wed 4/25: DLR
Thu 4/26: DLR (surfing lesson for DH at Huntington, Seal, or Newport Beach)
Fri 4/27: DLR
Sat 4/28: Early flight back home

Thank you for the itinerary. It sounds like a good plan! I listened to many of your Day 6 podcasts and it's in my plans to listened to most of them again with DH so we can make our final decisions.

If you are worried about the hotels go ahead and book what you want and just make sure the hotel has a cancellation policy that will work for you. Most of the hotels in the area let you cancel really close to the arrival date without penalty. Some people book multiple hotels until they decide exactly which one they want. One thing that is fairly sure is the closer you get to your dates the more expensive the hotels will be. You can always cancel if you want but your can't book old prices once they are gone.

Great tip! I will definitely book them very soon.

So, I haven't read all the comments. It seems overwhelming. I think your initial plans are also too packed.

I'd fly into San Diego. I would skip the zoo. We had a horrific experience. Haven't been to zoos since. I've heard the wild animal park isn't so bad.

If you must fly into lax: I'd start my trip on Sunday at Disneyland. That way you can see f! If you want. Then sleep in while your DH does his surf thing. Then drive to San Diego. Spend the night there. Enjoy the next day or two there doing something. Drive to Anaheim in time to sleep at your hotel there. Spend the next couple of days in the parks.

You could consider just buying your dh a 2 day pass.

3 Days isn't enough to do a tour imo.

Unfortunately, flying to SD on our points and dates means an overnight layover in NJ or Toronto. To me, that's worst than driving in traffic! As for the 2 day pass for DH, airmiles only offers a 3 or 5 day passes and I think he will like enjoying a nice meal and a relaxing evening at DLR after his day surfing and enjoying the beach. I haven't researched tours yet but I think you're right.

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it and it's helping me a lot! I love planning trips and road trips but usually I have a better idea of the itinerary. For some reason, this one was overwhelming me a little since there's so much to do and see! A year ago I was planning a 3 weeks trip to California for this summer (we had to postpone) and even 3 weeks was not enough so imagine fitting as much as possible in 6.5 days and combining the must-dos of two people with opposite tastes!

I finally made my hotel reservations.

Saturday 4/21: Ocean Surf Inn and Suites in Huntington Beach
Sunday 4/22: Old Town Inn in San Diego
Monday 4/23: Old Town Inn in San Diego
Tuesday 4/24: Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn
Wednesday 4/25: Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn
Thursday 4/26: Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn
Friday 4/27: Hilton Los Angeles Airport -- hopefully we can check in late after our last day at DLR

I would have loved staying at DLH but that would mean no extras like WOC dessert party or F! dining.

Now the fun begins with reading on dining options and rides at DLR!

Friday 4/27: Hilton Los Angeles Airport -- hopefully we can check in late after our last day at DLR

I would have loved staying at DLH but that would mean no extras like WOC dessert party or F! dining.

Congrats on finalizing your plans. I will suggest since you're staying in the Old Town area. If you're in SD, you have to eat a carne asada burrito. No other place in the world makes them like we make them in SD and I'm not exaggerating. LA is kinda coming close but it's just not the same. I would suggest a place called JV's. It's down the street from USD which is not too far from Old Town.

Also, since you're staying in the Old Town area, lots of tourists are tempted to go into the Mission Bay waters. I would suggest against it even if it "looks" nice. The locals don't play in this bay for a reason. Make the drive to La Jolla or Coronado or to Moonlight Beach. Much better places. Have fun.

As a few others posted, I would recommend the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. While the San Diego Zoo might be world famous, it's still basically a bunch of animals in enclosures. I'm sure things have changed since I was there in 2008, but I was not that impressed. The enclosures at our Seattle Woodland Park Zoo are larger and provide a nicer habitat for the animals than most of the exhibits the San Diego Zoo.

The San Diego Zoo Safari Park, however, was probably the highlight of our trip (which included DLR, Universal, and Sea World). We did the safari where you feed the rhinos. I believe they told us this is the only place in the world you can get that up close and personal to rhinos like that. It was very cool so see all the animals in a more natural habitat. It was pricey, but worth every penny.

Congrats on finalizing your plans. I will suggest since you're staying in the Old Town area. If you're in SD, you have to eat a carne asada burrito. No other place in the world makes them like we make them in SD and I'm not exaggerating. LA is kinda coming close but it's just not the same. I would suggest a place called JV's. It's down the street from USD which is not too far from Old Town.

Also, since you're staying in the Old Town area, lots of tourists are tempted to go into the Mission Bay waters. I would suggest against it even if it "looks" nice. The locals don't play in this bay for a reason. Make the drive to La Jolla or Coronado or to Moonlight Beach. Much better places. Have fun.

Thanks for the tips! I love trying local food and restaurants/chains! I welcome any suggestions! I didn't know what a carne aside burrito was but it looks good so we'll probably try it at JV's! As for going in the water, I'll make sure we don't go in at Mission Bay.

As a few others posted, I would recommend the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. While the San Diego Zoo might be world famous, it's still basically a bunch of animals in enclosures. I'm sure things have changed since I was there in 2008, but I was not that impressed. The enclosures at our Seattle Woodland Park Zoo are larger and provide a nicer habitat for the animals than most of the exhibits the San Diego Zoo.

The San Diego Zoo Safari Park, however, was probably the highlight of our trip (which included DLR, Universal, and Sea World). We did the safari where you feed the rhinos. I believe they told us this is the only place in the world you can get that up close and personal to rhinos like that. It was very cool so see all the animals in a more natural habitat. It was pricey, but worth every penny.

I'll check it out thank you! I remember a Day 6 podcast about it and I wasn't sure which one to choose.

We just stayed at the BW Anaheim Inn and a few weeks ago and we thoroughly enjoyed it! You'll love being so close to the park entrance. Hope you guys have a great trip!

So I know you have already booked but you might look at taking the train [Amtrak - Pacific Surfliner] one way from San Diego to Anaheim or in reverse. It is a beautiful trip (much of the stretch between the two cities is right on the coast) and then you don't have to deal with the traffic nightmare that is LA. The Anaheim stop is basically in the Angels Stadium parking lot and it a quick and cheap Uber ride away from DL.

Ok - have to lend my humble opinion. Having lived in LA for a while, and always flying in and out of LAX - I would just stay Friday night at the Best Western. Why worry about checking out on the morning of your last day in DL?? and when you are dead on your feet that night (Friday night), you can just go back to your close hotel and sleep. Traffic early SAT morning from DL to LAX won't be bad.

I completely agree.

I'm worried you'll be a little disappointed at the best western Anaheim inn. My sis stayed there. We're used to bwppi. She was disappointed. Did park vue or Camelot have openings?

The hotel will hold your bags for you on the last day before you head to your airport hotel.

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Hawthorne which is pretty close to LAX. Prices are normally around $120 a night, not the best hotel but not horrible at all, great customer service, and close to LAX (with a shuttle as well even though you do have a rental car). And they provide free parking in a locked garage.

If you are debating between the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, hands down I would choose the Safari Park. The zoo is a really nice zoo but it's a normal zoo. The Safari Park is an entirely unique experience. It's absolutely gorgeous to walk around (the tiger exhibit is spectacular), the bird show is not to be missed, and as I mentioned before, doing the experience to feed the giraffes and rhinos is truly once in a lifetime and worth every penny (I think it's about $100). Plus you can feed the lorakeets in the lorakeet enclosure (they land on you). There's lots to see and do, even a zip line and hot air balloon.

Ok so reading this thread now has me worried. We arrive 10/14 and doing DL 10/14 to 10/17. Leaving Anaheim the morning of 10/18 (this part is not going to change). Then renting a car to drive to San Diego till 10/21 Saturday. Our flight leaves LAX at 9pm so I have all day Saturday.
My original plan was to drive to Anaheim turn in rental spend a few more hours at Disney and Uber to LAX about 6pm.
My other plan was to keep car and drive from San Diego into LAX and do more around SD and up the coast instead of the last few hours in Disney...if I do this plan what time will I have to make my way to LAX. Keeping in mind that my flight leaves at nine and I need to be there a couple hours early. How bad is driving this route on a Saturday?
I really want to do SD but now I'm nervous about the drive to and back for my flight. It's my daughter and I going.

Ok so reading this thread now has me worried. We arrive 10/14 and doing DL 10/14 to 10/17. Leaving Anaheim the morning of 10/18 (this part is not going to change). Then renting a car to drive to San Diego till 10/21 Saturday. Our flight leaves LAX at 9pm so I have all day Saturday.
My original plan was to drive to Anaheim turn in rental spend a few more hours at Disney and Uber to LAX about 6pm.
My other plan was to keep car and drive from San Diego into LAX and do more around SD and up the coast instead of the last few hours in Disney...if I do this plan what time will I have to make my way to LAX. Keeping in mind that my flight leaves at nine and I need to be there a couple hours early. How bad is driving this route on a Saturday?
I really want to do SD but now I'm nervous about the drive to and back for my flight. It's my daughter and I going.

You should be fine as long as you travel up toward LAX earlier in the day. Don't leave it to the last minute and expect to just drive to LAX with no traffic (you could get lucky but you just never know what the traffic will be like, even on weekends).

So I know you have already booked but you might look at taking the train [Amtrak - Pacific Surfliner] one way from San Diego to Anaheim or in reverse. It is a beautiful trip (much of the stretch between the two cities is right on the coast) and then you don't have to deal with the traffic nightmare that is LA. The Anaheim stop is basically in the Angels Stadium parking lot and it a quick and cheap Uber ride away from DL.

I rented a convertible for our week and DH is really looking forward to drive in LA and on the PCH (even in traffic)!

Ok - have to lend my humble opinion. Having lived in LA for a while, and always flying in and out of LAX - I would just stay Friday night at the Best Western. Why worry about checking out on the morning of your last day in DL?? and when you are dead on your feet that night (Friday night), you can just go back to your close hotel and sleep. Traffic early SAT morning from DL to LAX won't be bad.

You should be fine as long as you travel up toward LAX earlier in the day. Don't leave it to the last minute and expect to just drive to LAX with no traffic (you could get lucky but you just never know what the traffic will be like, even on weekends).

I thought about staying in Anaheim for our last night but I was sure what would be best. I'm just afraid of hitting some traffic on our way to LAX and be late. We will have to be at the airport around 5am... How long should it take from DLR area to LAX a Saturday morning at 4-5am?

I completely agree.

I'm worried you'll be a little disappointed at the best western Anaheim inn. My sis stayed there. We're used to bwppi. She was disappointed. Did park vue or Camelot have openings?

The hotel will hold your bags for you on the last day before you head to your airport hotel.

What disappointed her with BW Anaheim Inn?

Let say I change my reservation in Anaheim 3 to 4 nights, where would you stay if you were me? An adult-only trip (me and DH) and we have a rental car we need to park in a secure parking lot. We don't care about room size, pool and even breakfast since I will be in the parks our whole stay.

Prices are in Canadian dollars and I included the parking fees in it...

Current: Best Western Anaheim Inn 207$/night (for 3 nights but price per night for 4 nights is the same)

Howard Johnson 269$/night
Best Western Park Place In 229$/night
Camelot 218$/night
Homewood Suites 274$/night
Tropicana 199$/night

Last edited:
I also would stay put and drive to lax from Anaheim on Saturday morning. There is no need for the added hassle of switching hotels. On a Saturday at 4:00am I suspect you will get from Anaheim to the airport in about 30 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter