OVERWHELMED--1 day with Hopper in Oct.

KKB

DIS Veteran
OK...Don't remember being this confused booking our 4 WDW trips between 2007-2018!
Felt I was an expert for each of those at that time!

BFF & I are heading in Oct. for 1 day, staying at Days Inn Anaheim near the park.
Luckily I did enough research to realize DCA was closing early so we are starting there & hopping to DL.
Booked tickets for that day with Genie plus.
We plan to hit the ground running & go until we drop. (DCA opens at 8, DL closes at midnight)
(Now I say running...there will be none of that...perhaps brisk walking if necessary)

Our goal is the bigger "adult" rides at each park. (typically the most popular as well...)
I did spend $8 for Touring plans, which we had used in the past very successfully.

I'm still overwhelmed by the Genie+ system.
I only realize I need to be at the park by 7AM to login?

Any tips for a DL & Genie+ newbie?
(we are going on what is predicted to be a 5/10 crowd day--will we need LL?)

You cannot start using (reserving) Genie+ until you are scanned into the parks and they usually start letting people into the parks at about 7:30 am for an 8 am opening.
Crowd predictors have never been very accurate at Disneyland and have been even less accurate since COVID but as you have said you are going in October which is one of the busiest months of the year I would not expect it be be any less than a 7 out of 10 unless we have a random super hot heat wave or a big rain storm to keep locals away.
Tip: You cannot reserve rides in the park you hopping to until the time for the ride in that park passes the hopping time of 1 PM. So when the return time for say Big Thunder is at 2 pm even if it is 10 AM you can then reserve it.
Another tip: Guardians of the Galaxy (opening until 2:30 or 2:45 pm) and the Halloween version Monsters After Dark that starts at 3 PM and goes to closing count as separate rides for Genie + so you can ride both

Which day in October?

Touring Plans is garbage for DL, unfortunately. October is really busy.

You don’t necessarily need to be at the park by 7, but you can’t book with Genie+ until you enter the gates, so you do want to be inside early if possible.

If you’re trying to ride the big rides, yes, you’re going to want Genie+.

The first 3 pinned threads on this subforum are all about genie+, including tips and strategies to maximize the LLs you can get with it.

Ok…
We go Tues Oct 18.
Figure Tuesdays tend to be less busy.
There is Oggie Boogie at DCA—thought perhaps early there less busy & DL less busy in eve?
I would love to ride both Guardians but thought it wasn’t managable with heading to DL.
I will see what I can do!!
Thx!!

The first 3 pinned threads on this subforum are all about genie+, including tips and strategies to maximize the LLs you can get with it.
Oh I’m well aware…and frankly I’m finding them overwhelming.
The initial posts r sort of helpful but I find the posts that follow to be a mishmash of info.

Ok…
We go Tues Oct 18.
There is Oggie Boogie at DCA—thought perhaps early there less busy & DL less busy in eve?
I would love to ride both Guardians but thought it wasn’t managable with heading to DL.
Thx!!
Yes, DCA might be less busy in the morning (maybe) but DL will be more busy in the evening because everyone who is not going to Oogie Boogie will be at Disneyland instead of spread over the two parks like a normal day.

Ok…
We go Tues Oct 18.
Thx!!
Both parks will be very busy due to it being October AND an OBB night. People will hoppers and no party tickets will be sure to start at DCA (like you) and then will head over en mass to DL in the evening when DCA closes for the party (also like you). Expect it to very, very busy. A 5/10 crowd level does not exist in October anymore, regardless of if it's a week day or weekend.

You will still have fun, but plan for crowds so you are prepared. Mobile order your food/snacks early to avoid delays. Definitely get Genie+, you will ride very few of your headliners without it as the standby lines will be very long. Be strategic with your selections ... check out some of the threads in this forum for advice, or maybe check out Disneyland Daily, she has some good touring plans (free!).

Last edited:
Reactions: KKB
Both parks will be very busy due to it being October AND an OBB night. People will hoppers and no party tickets will be sure start at DCA (like you) and then will head over en mass to DL in the evening when DCA closes for the party (also like you). Expect it to every, very busy. A 5/10 crowd level does not exist in October anymore, regardless of if it's a week day or weekend.

You will still have fun, but plan for crowds so you are prepared. Mobile order your food/snacks early to avoid delays. Definitely get Genie+, you will ride very few of your headliners without it as the standby lines will be very long. Be strategic with your selections ... check out some of the threads in this forum for advice, or maybe check out Disneyland Daily, she has some good touring plans (free!).
Yes we did get Genie, are willing to use LL if need be.
Still trying to wrap my head around the Genie threads...
Thx for the tip on Disneyland Daily--that one is new to me!
Oh, my goodness, a quick pop over there & it looks to be JUST what I need!

I can share a suggested itinerary based on recent visits with a headliner approach (note, it's hard to fill until 1 at DCA):

Rope Drop Guardians, try to book a Genie+ for Guardians with a 9:30-10:30 return time
Head to Pixar Pier -- do Toy Story, then Incredicoaster (you'll probably be able to repeat ride this at least once in short order if you want)
Work your way around the Pier riding anything you want
Ride Radiator Springs Racers single rider
Hit Guardians for a second ride with Genie+
Book Soarin once you tap into Guardians, you'll probably have an hour o kill
Do Web Slingers single rider, the hit other Carsland rides, hit Animation Academy, watch Avengers campus shows etc., whatever strikes your fancy
Do Soarin
Book GRR if you want and do that quickly (or ride standby)
Book Indiana Jones over at DL, it will probably be a late afternoon return time -- with the OBB, it's important to start stacking afternoon/evening Genie+ reservations as early as you can so once the crowds get pushed over to DL, you're sitting on Genie+ reservations for headliners. If you don't care about a second Guardians ride, you can start this approach even earlier by ditching that Genie+ out of the itinerary and going straight to the Genie+ for Soarin', but that makes it harder to fill the morning time at DCA.

Now you'll have a big schedule gap -- have lunch, head over to DL and ride some things that just have standby (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc). This might be a good time to wait standby for Rise of the Resistance. You can also take advantage of Splash Mountain single rider.

Once your two hours have passed, book Space Mountain. You'll likely have another big schedule gap.
After that my Genie+ priorities would be:

Haunted Mansion Holiday
Matterhorn (single rider is not helpful here in my experience)
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Smuggler's Run (single rider is always a good option)
Star Tours
Buzz
It's a Small World

If you end up with overlapping Genie+ windows, already remember the "last booked, first tap rule." So, for instance, in my above example, if you book an Indy first for 2:00-3:00 and then later book a an overlapping Space Mountain from 2:15-3:15, you should go to Space Mountain first so that you're eligible to make a new Genie+ selection once you tap in there.

On a night when there's the OBB, it takes a lot of logistical precision to hit Monsters After Dark with a lightning lane since it's only available for 3 hours; that's going to make it hard to slot in your other headliners. Personally, with only 1 day and lots of other headliners to ride, I wouldn't spend the time traipsing back to DCA to try and ride it.

I can share a suggested itinerary based on recent visits with a headliner approach (note, it's hard to fill until 1 at DCA):

Rope Drop Guardians, try to book a Genie+ for Guardians with a 9:30-10:30 return time
Head to Pixar Pier -- do Toy Story, then Incredicoaster (you'll probably be able to repeat ride this at least once in short order if you want)
Work your way around the Pier riding anything you want
Ride Radiator Springs Racers single rider
Hit Guardians for a second ride with Genie+
Book Soarin once you tap into Guardians, you'll probably have an hour o kill
Do Web Slingers single rider, the hit other Carsland rides, hit Animation Academy, watch Avengers campus shows etc., whatever strikes your fancy
Do Soarin
Book GRR if you want and do that quickly (or ride standby)
Book Indiana Jones over at DL, it will probably be a late afternoon return time -- with the OBB, it's important to start stacking afternoon/evening Genie+ reservations as early as you can so once the crowds get pushed over to DL, you're sitting on Genie+ reservations for headliners. If you don't care about a second Guardians ride, you can start this approach even earlier by ditching that Genie+ out of the itinerary and going straight to the Genie+ for Soarin', but that makes it harder to fill the morning time at DCA.

Now you'll have a big schedule gap -- have lunch, head over to DL and ride some things that just have standby (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc). This might be a good time to wait standby for Rise of the Resistance. You can also take advantage of Splash Mountain single rider.

Once your two hours have passed, book Space Mountain. You'll likely have another big schedule gap.
After that my Genie+ priorities would be:

Haunted Mansion Holiday
Matterhorn (single rider is not helpful here in my experience)
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Smuggler's Run (single rider is always a good option)
Star Tours
Buzz
It's a Small World

If you end up with overlapping Genie+ windows, already remember the "last booked, first tap rule." So, for instance, in my above example, if you book an Indy first for 2:00-3:00 and then later book a an overlapping Space Mountain from 2:15-3:15, you should go to Space Mountain first so that you're eligible to make a new Genie+ selection once you tap in there.

On a night when there's the OBB, it takes a lot of logistical precision to hit Monsters After Dark with a lightning lane since it's only available for 3 hours; that's going to make it hard to slot in your other headliners. Personally, with only 1 day and lots of other headliners to ride, I wouldn't spend the time traipsing back to DCA to try and ride it.
Thank you for this!
Disneyland Daily had a great plan to start at DCA but kinda falls off after that.
You are all being SO SO helpful--THANK YOU!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter