Overall Disney Dining Experience - March 2023

MsChristy12

Into the onion
Hello everyone!

I wanted to share our overall dining experience from our trip last month. Long post and thanks in advance for reading!😊

First, let me say that by putting our experience here, I am by no means saying don't go eat at certain restaurants or bashing the servers who provided service to us. Absolutely not insinuating Disney is no longer magical or not worth it. This is simply our side of the story, and we understand everyone's expectations and standards are different in so many ways that will result in varied experiences. But I actually want to see if anyone else out there are feeling the same way? Or are we too sensitive and had set our expectations too high?

Although we aren't frequent Disney goers (not even close) and we haven't eaten at every Disney restaurant. However, my husband and I were both CMs X years ago (let's not talk about how old we are...lol!🤭) so we have quite a bit of history eating our way at WDW.

I don't know about everyone else, but we had never felt this way about WDW dining until this trip:
1. Most meals felt rushed.
2. Many CMs no longer do small talks or try to make connection with their guests (with a couple of exception).

These are the restaurants we dined at - Garden Grill, Tusker House, Via Napoli, Sanaa, Nomad Lounge, Ohana, Steakhouse 71, Story Book Dining @ Artist Point. (I didn't include the ones from Disney Springs). Ohana and Artist Point by far were the two most disappointing meals, and it is both their food and service that we didn't find appealing. Here are the reasons why.

Ohana - We have been going to Ohana since we were CMs, and it was once our absolutely favorite. Things have changed and we are okay with changes but unfortunately it wasn't for the better. Food quality (dinner) is nowhere near what it used to be, and the service is rushed. There's one thing we noticed not just at Ohana, but also at other restaurants. During the server's "down time" (not very long just a few mins, no more than 5), instead of mingling with the guests and do small talks with them, they just stand in the corner or near the wall, no smiles and wait for the next task or someone flag them down. We had never seen that before. We aren't sure if this is a "new" thing that's in their training? Or they just aren't very enthusiastic because of what they were going through with Disney and they are emotionally drained? Or is it the volume of guests and the amount of work they do make them feel exhausted? Don't get me wrong, they still provided good service but it wasn't the Disney service, if you know what I'm talking about (if you don't, I'll try to explain it better). It was very standard like anywhere we go. Our server pretty much only interacted with us when they dropped off food or asked if we needed anything. Ohana's food....I know lots of people are obsessed with their noodles but they aren't that good anymore! The ones we had were drenched in sauce, too sweet and noodles were kinda soggy. Steak were a bit tough and some were medium-rare, some were well done. Chicken was dry. Overall, the food quality is the main reason why we won't be going back to Ohana anytime soon.

Story Book Dining @ Artist Point - It was our first time trying this character dining. We saw/read many great reviews about it so we were kinda excited to try it. The food was okay, we had the Pork Shank and Beef Stroganoff, nothing spectacular or even great in our opinion. They try to do nicer presentation with the food, but looks only goes so far. The service was super rushed! It's literally badabing badaboom and you're done! They are a very busy restaurant, servers and runners never have even 1 min to slow down. Again, our server did the standard asking "How's the food?"," Do you need another drink?" but outside of that she never interacted with us, didn't even ask if this was our first time dining there, nothing. I observed the tables around us with their servers, same thing. Again, I'm not saying this is horrible service but it's not Disney service. We felt like they try to get everyone outta the door ASAP once we were seated. We have dined at many, many extremely busy restaurants, and there's a difference between they are slammed running around vs. they rush your meal. At Artist Point, we have never felt so unwelcomed and rushed through sit-down meal. This is definitely one and done for us.

Now to the good! Steakhouse 71 - We were a little skeptical about it because many have been saying they are starting to be inconsistent, but what the heck we wanted to see for ourselves and I'm glad we did! This is now on top of our list and one of our must for our future trips. Food and service were both superb! Presentation, taste and value all combined are better than some of the signature dining. We had the Onion Soup (it is a must try!), Crab Cakes and their signature Burger. Not one bad thing to say about their food. Then our server is by far one of the bests. This restaurant is also busy, not as crazy as Artist Point but it's full during prime meal times. However, as busy as they are our server still provided the Disney service to his guests. Not just our table, I observed him with other tables, he is consistent with welcoming them. Our server is the reason that I went, "Ah here's the magic! It's still here!" Even though it's just a lunch, but I will remember this lunch for many years to come. He truly reminded us why we love Disney so much, and why we keep going back even when it bleeds our bank accounts!! 💸💰😂

With other restaurants, their service also felt more rushed than all our previous experiences. Of all the dining, we only had two servers who did small talks with us and made us feel like we were at Disney. Now, our guess is that they are also short staff but the amount of guests they need to served are more than ever. I have a lot of experience in the industry myself and so I have a lot of empathy for them, because I can see how hard they are working. At the end of the day, it's not their fault that they are short staff and resulting in overworked CMs. I know CMs overworked isn't news but we could see it on them more than ever this trip. We know there's not much we can do, except to be kind to them as much as possible and make their jobs a little easier. If we come across a CMs that are above and beyond or give us some pixie dust, we make sure to give them some kudos at Guest Services. Just be kind to others, especially at Disney, right?😇

Even with some of the so-so experience, we are still excited to go back and try more restaurants that we haven't before, also re-visit the ones we absolutely love!😍🤤 So what's your dining experience been like recently? Similar? Or 180 opposite? Good or bad I would love to hear them all!

Last edited:
I haven't been to O'Hanas in over 30 years and haven't done a character meal in probably that long. But, I've read many reports through the years that character meals are almost always sort of rushed and not known for food quality. Not surprised about O, again read many reports it was rushed and considering the massive amount of people served, the quality of the food has got to be like a buffet.

As far as service in other restaurants, I've had mixed luck, Sanaa may be the worst service I've ever had anywhere. We went there long before the trying times so it was just a bad server. Personally, I don't want or need my server to chat with me. I do need them to come to my table and check on me and not make me wait to order, for something to drink or to pay my bill.

Thank you for your reviews (I love reading food reports :))

I wonder if part of the service aspect at Artist Point and Ohana is that it is a set menu price and tip is included. I can imagine both places are stressful to be a waitperson. So many people go into those particular restaurants with high expectations because of cost and reviews.

We last visited WDW in Sept (during Ian eeekk) and found service ran the gamut. Our last two trips hands down San Angel Inn (the pyramid) restaurant has been the best for food and service. Like I was shocked the first time. Also Yak and Yeti is always always great for service for us ...I don't know why but maybe because they are not Disney owned? Via Napolini we always visit and our waiter was great but the food was cold and just meh (we are not doing this next trip).

I agree with you that part of the experience is interacting with waitstaff and it can make the meal better.

Glad you enjoyed Steakhouse 71 :) Maybe we will add it to our list.

So how were your other experiences? Sanaa, Nomad?

Sanaa may be the worst service I've ever had anywhere. We went there long before the trying times so it was just a bad server.
Ack! That's disappointing, sorry to hear that! But food is amazing there!
Glad you enjoyed Steakhouse 71 :) Maybe we will add it to our list.

So how were your other experiences? Sanaa, Nomad?
For Steakhouse71, ask for the server Tim if possible. I had mentioned in one of the Steakhouse71 threads that, I made sure to let one of the managers know what an gem he is and Disney is so lucky to have him! Then the manager told me I'm not the first one to say that and Tim is a fan favorite!! Many regulars ask for him!

Sanaa - Service was good. Again, it was kinda standard and our server was kinda in "standby" mode at the service station when he didn't have any tasks. Food is great there, Bread Service is what they are famous for and you can watch the animals while dining if you sit at a table by the windows. Unless you want to see sunset otherwise if you want a chance to see the animals, do breakfast/lunch. We did lunch and I specifically made a resy for right when they open (1130 I think?) so there's a way better chance to get seated by the windows. If you can't get that, then do at least an hour after they open so the first group of guests are close to finishing their meal.

Nomad - It's walk-in/waitlist only. Although walking in to get seated right away is pretty much impossible. It is probably one of the most popular places to grab a drink and hang out. Last time we had a group of 4 and I was lucky to even get on the waitlist, because once they get too many, they close the waitlist until some get seated first before they reopen it again. Our wait was about 70 mins, but no biggie because you'll just get a text when your table is ready, so we went on a ride and did some moo moo sharoo in the gift shops while waiting. Drinks are delicious, lots of options. Food are mostly small plates and snacks. We were disappointed with their ribs, the first time we had them it was finger licking good! Then this last time it was a bit dry. The share some menu items like bread service with Tiffin, but it's not as nearly as good as the one at Sanaa. If you like churros....THEIR CHURROS!! OMG!!!😍🤤🤤 It's a must! I don't know why we didn't get it before!

What are some of your favorite places to eat at WDW?

Nomad Lounge is a must do for us. I've been able to walk up and get a table at odd hours of the day. I walked into the park last April and joined the wait list and the time it took me to walk back there my table was ready. It's rare but it happens. I was there a year ago Sept. (not Sept. 22 but 21) with my son and his family around 11:30 or so. He and his wife went to ride FOP and I had the baby (8 months old) so was sitting on the planter outside Nomad's waiting for them to get off before I joined the walk up list. The hostess kept coming out to me every 10 min. telling me they had a table if I wanted to come in and sit. Since I didn't know how long they were going to be I didn't want to take a table away from someone else so I kept saying no but it would have been a walk up that day. When I finally got tired of sitting on cement I just walked up and got a table and they came in about 5 min. Other times, I've been told it was a hour and it's been less and I've had the reverse where I've been told it would be 30 min. and it's been more. I think people have caught on to how great a place it is. I can remember when it first opened and it was easy to get a table inside or out.

We just got back from 10 nights at WDW. We did a few table services. I noticed quiet a bit of "grumpy" servers. But mentioning it to other Disney goers can get your head bit off ha!

The places that we got really not happy servers were Skipper's Canteen (I did not care for food either) and the Hoop De Doo. They nearly ruined our time.

The best was at Sci Fi Drive In and Yak n Yeti (2nd meal, 1st meal there it was ho hum).

It is so true how a server can make or hurt the dining experiences. We've had a number of meals at WDW this year, and I think we're about 95% on really good/excellent servers. But when you plan for months and get up early to grab that special dining ADR, and you anticipate that special meal all that time - and then you have a miserable server? That really stinks. Maybe we've been lucky this year with our servers and our experiences - but I hope we're back to the pre pandemic level of special meals assisted by special service.

Ohana breakfast was abysmal. Horrible quality food. My husband and I agreed that McDonalds is better than this breakfast and that's saying something. Cracker Barrel quality ham would be a stellar improvement. Rushed character meet & greets. One family was still trying to take pictures with the characters when the characters would quickly turn to our table! :oops:

I have always wanted to try Ohana but maybe not anytime soon...
This literally used to be our favorite, must-do meal. We'd recommend the experience to everyone. But we have found in the past 10 years or so, not only isn't it a must-do for us. It's a not-sure-we-need-to for us. And it really saddens us. We have so many great memories there, especially with large family groups. But the changes over the years have diluted the experience for us. We tried again about 4 years ago, hoping it was back to how we remembered, and we were disappointed yet again. We miss 'Ohana as we remember it in our minds!

Our server at 50s our last trip was so boring and serious and barely spoke any English. We had to ask her to repeat everything several times because we couldn’t understand her. Our kids love this place because of the server antics, they were very disappointed. Crazy how a bad server can ruin your whole restaurant experience. Our server at Ohana was great (though the food was meh) and gave us a tip of when we watch fireworks from Poly to synch up the music in a YouTube video of the projections with the live music so you can see projections while you watch the fireworks.

This literally used to be our favorite, must-do meal. We'd recommend the experience to everyone. But we have found in the past 10 years or so, not only isn't it a must-do for us. It's a not-sure-we-need-to for us. And it really saddens us. We have so many great memories there, especially with large family groups. But the changes over the years have diluted the experience for us. We tried again about 4 years ago, hoping it was back to how we remembered, and we were disappointed yet again. We miss 'Ohana as we remember it in our minds!
Yes, we finally got to stay at the Polynesian a couple days ago. A dream of ours - Wish List resort and were so disappointed in everything but our room. Ohana quality should just not be like that in a Deluxe resort. Oh well. I wrote Disney an email and I can only hope they will improve!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter