Our son came out of the pool at Typhoon Lagoon with a bloody back and huge wounds!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The child 'was not' too young for the pool, just too young to go way out where the waves were so strong. I would not want a CM telling me not to play on the edge with young children - we found it very nice and relaxing - but as parents we 'knew' we needed to heed the warnings, plus our own common sense.

This has nothing to do with 'where' it was - could have been anywhere and the OP and you would have been critical of it. It's a 'wave' pool, at a water park, and as such can be pretty powerful or it would be 'no' fun! :confused3

Yeah and a mom watched her 8 year old get injured on vacation. Cut her an ounce of slack. All you're doing is calling her a bad mom. Congrats, it's very helpful.

So, despite all that's been said, what did they do for you? All bandaged up, so it cost you a good hour at least... did they comp you a meal? Handful of fast passes for the next day? Any nice gesture come of it?

Yeah and a mom watched her 8 year old get injured on vacation. Cut her an ounce of slack. All you're doing is calling her a bad mom. Congrats, it's very helpful.

Maybe it should serve as a reminder for us all to be a little more alert when we are someplace new. And to keep our eyes open for any signage that may be around.

I would have got my back up as well, OP. It seems many of the posters were just dying to pile on here...starting with the call out to another thread. Disboards strikes again. Should be warning signs on the front page that you better tread carefully if you even hint at a criticism of Disney.

That was me. I was empathizing with her rough go of it on vacation. Sheesh.

While I don't think a more detailed sign would have made a difference. As I expect most people would anticipate getting knocked over in a wave pool. I do think I would not expect a pool bottom to cut up skin.:scared: We have 2 waterparks in our area and while they have some textured traction type bottoms, none of my kids who have fallen have ever recieved the injuries described here.:sad1: I think they obviously overdid the rough bottom as it should never gash up your skin so bad that it takes that long to heal. There's a difference between a superficial scratch and this. I would be mad as well expecting that even if my kid fell he might get a scratch or two, like our waterpark, but not severe gashes.:confused3

Thanks OP as I will definitely keep this in mind when we go to the waterparks. We have 5 plus days on non expiring tickets that we were going to use someday but I will definitely think carefully about the wavepool.:flower3:
Does anyone know if there is a section of BB like this?

First aid person applies a bandage and sends the kid on his way. No stitches. No trip to the hospital. No antibiotics. No instruction not to go back in the water. Vacation was not cut short. Seems like part of growing up to me and was more of a scrape than a "wound". As noted earlier, cuts and scrapes can appear much worse than they are when wet. The fact that there was no "keep it dry" instruction and the child was allowed back in the TL pools is very telling. The eyes are the best form of warning. Observe and learn. The world doesn't need more signs everywhere telling us that life presents risks.

That was pretty crappy people. I didn't agree w the need for more legaleez on signage, but there's no reason to come down on someone as if they were stupid for letting their kids into the water at a water park.

I would have let my kids into the water. If they got cut, I'd be mad. At Disney, at myself, just mad in general. I'd get over it and have fun, as she did. Posting about it is interesting.

The waves are strong, I get knocked over. At a cheezy wave pool, you think dang these are lame why aren't they big enough to knock me over. Then at a big one, a kid sucks in water or gets hurt and they have to shut it down.

It's tough. We all want more thrill. Bigger waves. Taller coaster. But then once one person gets hurt, parks reduce first to prevent lawsuits. Parks everywhere took out zip lines and merry-go-rounds cuz you can get hurt on them. I personally think companies and cities should be exempt in cases like this, but then the opposite case of installing truly shoddy work without accountability is a problem. There's no right answer. It brings up the coffee case... CAUTION: HOT. Should it have to say CAUTION: EXTREMELY HOT? How many superlatives should you need to include?

I think a simple CAUTION: STRONG WAVES sign would be appropriate. With a picture of big waves going over a person so it's international. Any more legaleez than that and it'll only apply to those who can read it.

The OP (if she didn't anyways) should have gotten a free meal at the Typhoon Lagoon quick service place at least for her hour in the nurse station. Even tho it wasn't Disney's fault, they do have an obligation to see to it that guests on their property are happy and taken care of when they get hurt for any reason.

While I don't think a more detailed sign would have made a difference. As I expect most people would anticipate getting knocked over in a wave pool. I do think I would not expect a pool bottom to cut up skin.:scared: We have 2 waterparks in our area and while they have some textured traction type bottoms, none of my kids who have fallen have ever recieved the injuries described here.:sad1: I think they obviously overdid the rough bottom as it should never gash up your skin so bad that it takes that long to heal. There's a difference between a superficial scratch and this. I would be mad as well expecting that even if my kid fell he might get a scratch or two, like our waterpark, but not severe gashes.:confused3

Thanks OP as I will definitely keep this in mind when we go to the waterparks. We have 5 plus days on non expiring tickets that we were going to use someday but I will definitely think carefully about the wavepool.:flower3:
Does anyone know if there is a section of BB like this?

The last time I was at BB there was a wave pool but it was nothing like the one at TL. I have no recollection at all of what the bottom is like.

The thing about the wave pool at TL is even if you are wearing water shoes you can absolutely feel exactly how rough it is on the bottom. Did they over do it? Perhaps. But it's not as if you don't know as soon as you set foot in it.
Just be cautious and pay attention and you will be fine.

That was pretty crappy people. I didn't agree w the need for more legaleez on signage, but there's no reason to come down on someone as if they were stupid for letting their kids into the water at a water park.

I would have let my kids into the water. If they got cut, I'd be mad. At Disney, at myself, just mad in general. I'd get over it and have fun, as she did. Posting about it is interesting.

The waves are strong, I get knocked over. At a cheezy wave pool, you think dang these are lame why aren't they big enough to knock me over. Then at a big one, a kid sucks in water or gets hurt and they have to shut it down.

It's tough. We all want more thrill. Bigger waves. Taller coaster. But then once one person gets hurt, parks reduce first to prevent lawsuits. Parks everywhere took out zip lines and merry-go-rounds cuz you can get hurt on them. I personally think companies and cities should be exempt in cases like this, but then the opposite case of installing truly shoddy work without accountability is a problem. There's no right answer. It brings up the coffee case... CAUTION: HOT. Should it have to say CAUTION: EXTREMELY HOT? How many superlatives should you need to include?

I think a simple CAUTION: STRONG WAVES sign would be appropriate. With a picture of big waves going over a person so it's international. Any more legaleez than that and it'll only apply to those who can read it.

The OP (if she didn't anyways) should have gotten a free meal at the Typhoon Lagoon quick service place at least for her hour in the nurse station. Even tho it wasn't Disney's fault, they do have an obligation to see to it that guests on their property are happy and taken care of when they get hurt for any reason.

All of this went off the rails when the OP made it sound like her son got eaten by a shark. A more realistic outlook on what happened would have altered the responses.

The last time I was at BB there was a wave pool but it was nothing like the one at TL. I have no recollection at all of what the bottom is like.

The thing about the wave pool at TL is even if you are wearing water shoes you can absolutely feel exactly how rough it is on the bottom. Did they over do it? Perhaps. But it's not as if you don't know as soon as you set foot in it.
Just be cautious and pay attention and you will be fine.

This is good to know. We're hoping to go to TL this January, weather permitting. I think I'll avoid the wave pool myself and definitely not let my children go in. I can't stand being scraped on the bottom of a normal pool so I don't think it would be fun at all.

Ya I have to agree. What is it with this need attack this woman? Her son was injured and she did not appreciate the risk. In a day and age where there are warning signs for the silliest things I do not think it was so far out of left field for her to suggest a little more stringent sign.

I have never been to a water park. I am a very good swimmer. I have seen the video of the wave pool in Disney advertisements and from what I have seen it does not look as though you would get dragged down and scraped up.

I know it can happen based on the numerous posts of injuries and friends accounts of injuries. If cutting, scrapping and bleeding is a very real possibility then it would not be so crazy as to place that on the sign so parents that have no experience with this sort or thing can make a more informed decision.

I think it is a good idea. Just wondering what is so horrible about the prospect of Disney putting one sentence regarding the types of injuries that can occur?

So, despite all that's been said, what did they do for you? All bandaged up, so it cost you a good hour at least... did they comp you a meal? Handful of fast passes for the next day? Any nice gesture come of it?
Why I wouldn't expect comps or anything, I think a good will gesture would have maybe helped. After all, you have a crying 8 YO with what is obviously more than a scratch as the child still has scars, per OP's post. I think the CM could have offered an ice cream cone or treat to the child to cheer them up. I remember my pediatrician, for my boys when we lived in OR, used to give them popsicles after having to do blood draws to distract the kids from the soreness.
I would think Disney could offer as good a customer service as a pediatrician office.;)

If someone is looking at this thread for "good to know" ...

I have found that waist deep, even chest or shoulder deep, for me at TL is the danger zone. The wave lifts you, you are carried to a much shallower spot and ground into the bottom of the pool. I have a scar on my knee, too.

Stay very shallow, or go and tread water while waiting for the next wave.

Ya I have to agree. What is it with this need attack this woman? Her son was injured and she did not appreciate the risk. In a day and age where there are warning signs for the silliest things I do not think it was so far out of left field for her to suggest a little more stringent sign.

I have never been to a water park. I am a very good swimmer. I have seen the video of the wave pool in Disney advertisements and from what I have seen it does not look as though you would get dragged down and scraped up.

I know it can happen based on the numerous posts of injuries and friends accounts of injuries. If cutting, scrapping and bleeding is a very real possibility then it would not be so crazy as to place that on the sign so parents that have no experience with this sort or thing can make a more informed decision.

I think it is a good idea. Just wondering what is so horrible about the prospect of Disney putting one sentence regarding the types of injuries that can occur?

I admit--I found it difficult to empathize with her tone, her lack of awareness, and lack of personal accountability. She placed all the blame on TL, claimed the signs were insufficient but then defended that she didn't think they were talking about her child in terms of small child.

I tried to moderate my tone somewhat by addressing some of the comments she made as logically as possible.

I don't doubt that her child was injured--but it would seem that if it was as serious as she is stating her, she would have left the water park for the day to, at a minimum have her son rest, or he would have required additional medical attention at the hospital.

I pointed out my own serious but relevant injury at a beach because she was of such a belief (based on how I read her posts) that the floor surface of beaches were safer--yet I required stitches (as a child) and our beach day ended immediately. A lifeguard carried me to the main station and my mom followed my trail of blood because I had been taken away so quickly. (Was with my dad at the moment of injury). Had a cool ride to the hospital via ambulance since getting to our car would have taken too long with carrying me.

I am not sure what she hoped to gain by posting here as her tone seems more accusatory towards Disney than a safety alert for fellow guests. She then got nasty when people tried to point out the nature of wave pools and the need for an abundance of caution--again deflecting blame towards Disney for a water park that has been open for 20+ years.

It seems that her son was treated quite well in first aid for his abrasions and minor lacerations which didn't seem to require so much as a butterfly stitch.

While yes, it is a bummer to have had this happen, I don't know that it was the end of the world serious injury she is making it out to be. It doesn't mean I think she is exaggerating--it just means that she is seeing it as way more serious than it was. Given that her son was permitted back in the water, that says more about the injury than her post.

I think if she told this as a cautionary tale, it would have been received much differently. But she wanted folks to immediately agree that Disney was evil for not clearly staring the risks. Sure, the pool bottom is rough. But it did not seem she was heeding any warnings at all for first timers who had never been to a water park or in a wave pool before.

There is something to be said for personal accountability.

I don't see attacks by anyone other than the OP. YMMV.

Wow! I can't believe the flaming of the OP! I took her post as a warning to others as to the intensity of the waves. She suggested an additional warning. Her kid was scraped and bloodied. I would think the thread would be good for those unfamiliar with wave pools, as she was, to beware.

I wonder why anyone ever posts anything about bad experiences on this board. It usually ends in the OP being slammed!

If someone is looking at this thread for "good to know" ...

I have found that waist deep, even chest or shoulder deep, for me at TL is the danger zone. The wave lifts you, you are carried to a much shallower spot and ground into the bottom of the pool. I have a scar on my knee, too.

Stay very shallow, or go and tread water while waiting for the next wave.

THIS.

Deeper water makes the waves easier to handle. Also, unless this happened on the very first wave, it doesn't take long to figure out the TL wave pool has power.

Water tends to be underestimated concerning the danger it can represent, not only in a pool but in rivers, lakes, the ocean etc.

You don't want to scare guests needlessly. And any sign that mentions scrapes or blood will scare people. Also, I dare say the vast majority of guests don't get those kind of injuries, why warn about something that most likely won't happen?

Wow! I can't believe the flaming of the OP! I took her post as a warning to others as to the intensity of the waves. She suggested an additional warning. Her kid was scraped and bloodied. I would think the thread would be good for those unfamiliar with wave pools, as she was, to beware.

I wonder why anyone ever posts anything about bad experiences on this board. It usually ends in the OP being slammed!

Hm, honestly, I'm not sure what the original posters intent was, but I think it was meant more than just a warning. (IMO) Of course, Disney does provide a lazy river which could have been utilized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!