Our Seemingly Silly Semi-Illogical Four Day Whirlwind Trip

Hi Kay!

I think I must have submitted my last post at the same time that you had submitted your last update. All I can say after reading the last update is "PRAISE THE LORD!!":dogdance: Tornado is going to make it.....I just know it now! I cannot tell you how happy I am to hear that she's made so much progress in such little time. I believe with all my heart that it had everything to do with many prayers all going up at the same time for the precious, little thing. There's power in numbers, I tell ya!

Again, I'm so very happy.......please continue to keep us posted. :thumbsup2

Kay, I'm so happy to hear that Tornado is able to eat on his own. That's fabulous! I'm glad that he was living up to his name and creating havoc in his cage. :thumbsup2 He sounds like one tough kitty!

I hope you and Lowell had fun at the DIS meet!:banana:

:yay: Hurray for small miracles!

So glad to hear that Tornado is recuperating. :grouphug:

He is a gorgeous cat. Having dogs, I too know how attached we can get to our furry friends.

Kay that is such a cute kitty !!!!

Glad he is getting better.

I could have waved to you yesterday. We were at Great Wolfe Lodge on the Canadian side of the falls. So close again. One day we are going to meet....:)

PART THIRTY FIVE. THE FINAL EPISODE:

Although it has been only four days, it seems long ago that we last stood in Side B Level One of the main terminal at MCO. Between our arrival and departure dates extends a gulf of time as deep and mysterious as the Chasm of Fire. A part of us will remain here on this side of the gulf, because whenever we want we can summon up our memories of this trip. We will close our eyes and be at Disney World reliving the fun and excitement we enjoyed. But our bodies must cross the Chasm of Fire and return home.
We take the escalator upstairs and make our way through the hallway which safely spans the unseen Chasm. I smell a faint odor of smoke. Heat radiates through the floor, but in a moment we pass safely to Side A and are one segment of our journey closer to home.

We have plenty of time before our flight. My stomach feels much better, and since there will be no food on the plane and we don’t arrive home until nearly 11:00 PM, we decide to have an early dinner at one of the fast food places. The dining area enjoys a sunny spot with palm trees reaching toward the glass ceiling. It’s a cheerful place to sit and kill time. New arrivals stream past us and it’s hard not to envy their good fortune at beginning their trip when we are ending ours.

After dinner we proceed to the gate lounge and wait for our flight. Our two hours pass uneventfully and before long it’s time to board. We enter the plane and find our seat assignments which are midway back on the left side. As usual Lowell gets the window seat. We settle in and buckle up.

I’ve never understood why airlines dictate you must turn off electronic devices and cell phones, but I follow orders and do it anyway. Will an electronic signal make the plane suddenly do barrel rolls and loop de loops? Pitch forward in a nose dive? Become hopelessly lost and take everyone to Vladivostok? I don’t know, and I don’t want to find out. When it comes to safety, why take chances? Is it so tough to go a couple hours without a video game? A computer? Or a cell phone?

Apparently it is.

The flight attendant has already given the “turn off your electronic devices” speech, when some bozo’s phone rings. He sits four rows up on the opposite side of the aisle with another man, maybe a co-worker, who is drinking coffee and stuffing his face with a donut.

Instead of turning off the phone or answering with, “I can’t talk now,” the cell phone maniac launches into a two minute conversation. In the meantime, his buddy in the next seat must be making an Excel spreadsheet of every Starbucks Coffee and Krispy Kreme Donut shop we fly over on our way home, because I hear the distinctive Microsoft Bing Bong when you screw something up and your software announces that you’re a moron.

A slightly less cheerful voice than before comes over the PA, “May I remind you that all electronic devices must be turned off at this time. Thank you.”

Thank you for repeating the warning, I think to myself, glaring at the back of the violators’ heads. I am not imagining: other people give them dirty looks, too.

We wait to taxi down the runway. The plane is pretty quiet so there’s no missing it when the phone rings AGAIN.

This is unbelievable.

Muttered grumbles rise from the surrounding seats. Why do some people think airline safety rules don’t apply to them?

A female flight attendant walks to the offender’s seat and smiling slightly says through clenched teeth, “I invite you to turn off your phone and all electronic devices.

I smother a snicker. I’ll have to remember that line. It could come in quite handy at home on a number of occasions. Such as, “I invite you to get that pile of mail off my dining room table,” or “I invite you to go put your socks in the hamper.”

The attendant gives the moron a look that says, “And don’t make me invite you again, then stalks away and takes her seat for take off. We get into position behind a half dozen planes and wait our turn. One plane, two planes, three planes taxi down the runway and take off.

The cell phone rings again.

This time a chorus of angry voices shouts: “Turn the phone OFF!” . . . “You’re going to get us all KILLED!” Frankly, I can’t repeat some of the comments since they include invectives that quite imaginatively describe his cell phone and what he should do with it. I assure you that none of the suggestions are outlined in his Verizon Calling Plan. Indeed, they would most certainly violate his warranty. If not his dignity. Likely, both.

Since the plane is moving, the flight attendants can’t get out of their seats or I’m sure they would rip the phone from his hand, throw it down on the aisle, then drive their snack cart over it. Ten times. When they finished, he’d get back a pile of shattered plastic and mangled microchips in an air sickness bag. Unfortunately, the best they can do is stare at him with such tangible fury that it’s a wonder his clothes don’t burst into flames or his eyes shrivel in their sockets. The man in the seat behind him is a hair’s breadth from going right over the seat and slamming the dork’s face against the tray table a few dozen times. Despite having just left the Happiest Place on Earth, and not being a violent person by nature, I confess I enjoy that mental image.

I believe Cell Phone Guy turns off his phone at this point because we do not end up in Vladivostok, and although we experience a bit of mild turbulence along the way we do not perform any barrel rolls or loop-de-loops. I am relieved when we land for our connecting flight and the two men disappear in the crowd. If they have another flight today, I pity the people stuck with them.

Our second flight is full of law abiding citizens who buckle up, then busy themselves with in-flight magazines and gadget catalogs. There are no ringing cell phones, beeping video games or Bing-Bonging laptops. I feel groggy and safe enough to drift off to sleep, but I fight the urge. As long as we’re on the plane we’re still officially “On Vacation” and I don’t want to waste our final moments sleeping.

We arrive on time, but our flight is among the last of the day, so the airport is like a ghost town. Heaven help anyone who is hungry because there’s no food except what you can get out of a vending machine, and if you don’t walk fast enough, maintenance will swab your heels with their mops. We usually travel with only carry on bags, so it’s irritating to wait for the luggage carousel to deliver our bags. The number of nearly identical bags that pass on the conveyor would be disturbing if we owned black luggage. Fortunately our tweed suitcase and duffle with their distinctive lime green Mickey head tags are hard to miss.

As we leave the airport and get in line for the shuttle that will take us to our car, I can’t help but sigh as I realize that now our vacation is actually over. We’ll go back to our normal work-a-day lives, where emails await, phone calls must be returned, mail must be opened and tasks that were put off until “after vacation” can no longer be ignored.

We ride in near-silence for thirty-five minutes which gives me time to acclimate myself to the Real World, while simultaneously reflecting on our whirlwind vacation and the Magic of Disney. Silly people do have more fun. I could better justify our airline tickets if we had stayed twice as long, and we could have accomplished much more during a longer trip, but we found more than our share of “magic” during this short “impractical” trip. The Magic is there waiting if you open your heart. But more importantly, the Magic is at home, at work, and at your friend’s and family’s homes. The Magic existed before Walt gave it a name and created a place where we could go to experience it. It’s all around us; it’s just easier to feel it in Walt’s happy and carefree world. Sometimes Magic happens in that moment when someone does you an unexpected kindness and makes you feel important and special. Magic happens when you’re surprised by a gift or a favor that you didn’t expect and don’t deserve. We all long for that feeling of delight that makes us suddenly more alive than we felt a moment ago. We can make that magic happen in the lives of those around us, and we can open our hearts to experience it ourselves at unexpected times and places every day.

We pull into our driveway and that thought makes me smile. There’s magic pulling up to our house which kind friends have watched over in our absence. There’s magic opening the front door and seeing our darling little friend Tornado waiting in the hallway with a joyous “Mmmeeoowww!” Tomorrow night we’ll make a fire in the big stone fireplace that Lowell built. We’ll curl up on the couch before the flickering flames and reminisce about our vacation, and that will be magical, too. Then I’ll slip off to our bedroom and recreate “turn down service” and lay on our pillows the chocolate squares and Native American proverb cards I brought home from the Lodge.

Until your next Disney vacation, I wish you all the ability to find and experience The Magic with those you love, today and everyday. God Bless you all.

THE END

Kay, I had a tear in my eye as I read your final episode.:sad1: Thanks for writing such a great trip report and for helping me fill the days until my next disney vacation.

Kay, that was a heartwarming way to end your trip report. Just the right amount of funny in the mix. And I'm so happy to hear that Tornado is doing so well! I know how devastating that type of situation can be and I wish all the best for his recovery. :hug:

A female flight attendant walks to the offender’s seat and smiling slightly says through clenched teeth, “I invite you to turn off your phone and all electronic devices.

I smother a snicker. I’ll have to remember that line. It could come in quite handy at home on a number of occasions. Such as, “I invite you to get that pile of mail off my dining room table,” or “I invite you to go put your socks in the hamper.”

The attendant gives the moron a look that says, “And don’t make me invite you again, then stalks away and takes her seat for take off. We get into position behind a half dozen planes and wait our turn. One plane, two planes, three planes taxi down the runway and take off.

The cell phone rings again.

This time a chorus of angry voices shouts: “Turn the phone OFF!” . . . “You’re going to get us all KILLED!” Frankly, I can’t repeat some of the comments since they include invectives that quite imaginatively describe his cell phone and what he should do with it. I assure you that none of the suggestions are outlined in his Verizon Calling Plan. Indeed, they would most certainly violate his warranty. If not his dignity. Likely, both.

Since the plane is moving, the flight attendants can’t get out of their seats or I’m sure they would rip the phone from his hand, throw it down on the aisle, then drive their snack cart over it. Ten times. When they finished, he’d get back a pile of shattered plastic and mangled microchips in an air sickness bag. Unfortunately, the best they can do is stare at him with such tangible fury that it’s a wonder his clothes don’t burst into flames or his eyes shrivel in their sockets. The man in the seat behind him is a hair’s breadth from going right over the seat and slamming the dork’s face against the tray table a few dozen times. Despite having just left the Happiest Place on Earth, and not being a violent person by nature, I confess I enjoy that mental image.

Kay, I especially enjoyed the comment about the suggestions not being on Verizon's plans. :rotfl2:

Glad to hear Tornado is doing better!

Thanks for letting us come on your trip with you and Lowell. You made me laugh so hard.

But it is so true, Magic is all around us. We just need to see it. Even in little things like a smile from someone.

Can't wait until you go again so we can have you write another trip report. Or even one on the C.B of somewhere else.

Thanks for sharing all your pictures and stories too!!!!!!

Until next time.....:flower3:

Kay, I'm all verklempt over your description of The Magic.

Talk amongst yourselves.

I'll give you a topic:

When leaving Disney, Magical Express is neither Magical nor Express.

Oh, wait! We already did that ;)

Here's looking forward to future WDW trips and many more amazing trip reports like yours to help us all re-live the magic between visits!

pixiedust:

SIS, what can I say? I totally LOVED your report, but most importantly,
I met YOU, which was the best thing! You ROCK!

So sad it's over. But I can relate to the feelin of going home.

You know where to find us, so please keep stopping by. And I am sure to be on your next trip report wagon!

What a wonderful finale, Kay. Yours was the first trip report that I ever read after joining the DIS. I used to pass up the trip report threads, but the title of your trippie is what originally caught my eye. Well, once I started reading, I was hooked. Like I've written previously, your report was just like reading a good book. I looked forward to new installments and your wonderful writing never failed to entertain!

Hmmm, now about that idea you had regarding a fictional family
trippie........:banana:

Thanks for all the laughs and for all the work you put into writing your trip report!

Sending more good wishes for Tornado! Please keep us posted.

Your final chapter was so touching, and a good reminder of all the magic in my life. I reminisced of my son's not so magical meltdown in the airport on our way home. The busy days and late nights had caught up with him. I left him by the big christmas tree and had to walk away as he threw himself on the floor. I could see him from around the corner and these 2 kids who were in the airport went over to try and help him, figuring his mom had deserted him. Luckily, once we boarded the plane, things improved, but our last day was defiitely not my favorite.

Thank you so much for sharing your vacation with us. It always brightened my day to see you had posted an update. I'm so glad Tornado is doing better.:hug: Can't wait for your next trip.

Kay, I can't believe it but I am three installments behind on your trip report! My daughter graduated high school last Thursday and its just been crazy around here (in a good/happy sad way).

I did read a little bit enough to know about poor Tornado and I'm so sorry he's been in such bad shape but glad to know things are looking better. I had a cat that lived 16 years that I loved like my baby so I know how you feel about your special kitty.

Awwww! That was just perfect! Such a nice ending to a great trip report. I'm so glad Tornado is recovering! I usually don't like cats, but even before his/her (I can't remember the sex! Sorry!) accident, when you would post pictures I would think to myself "Now that is a fine looking cat."
I wish flight attendants had more power to enforce the no cell phone rules. That gets on my nerves! And those people who do it do not care how many glares they get. Believe me, I've glared a hole through a few of them before.

Yeah Kay!!! That is wonderful news!! We never doubted Tornado! He just needed to come home and be loved. Love and prayers are very powerful. And I am resisting reading your final chapter. I can't believe it is over all ready!!

What a great last episode and what a perfect ending to a wonderful report! I loved the humor and the serious sentiments as well.

After reading your comments about "the magic," I've pondered a bit about the subject. My theory: The reason the magic is all around us is that, actually, its origin is deep within each one of us. The wonderful thing about Disney is that it has found the way to tap into and draw out that magic within. When it bubbles out, we just have to share it and before we know it, it's changing the world all around us.

I hope that you have found a way to put the Time Dilation Effect into reverse so that the time between now and your next trip report will seem very, very short. I'll be waiting in line with all your other fans, eager to read it.

So glad to hear that Tornado is making such a great recovery! I'm convinced that the love we have for pets is just one form of that special "everyday magic" that we all too frequently take for granted.

While I wait for your next trip and report, I'm going to try to remember the point that you have proved so eloquently -- We can't truly be sane unless we're a little bit silly.

- Iluvsushi

Sigh. The report has come to an end. :sad1: Thanks for the wonderful report. I look forward to you next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter