Our dream come true...

Belle Belinda

Mouseketeer
Hello, My husbands (35) and myself (32) will be going to LA for the first time ever and this is with out our 5yr old twins...Yup just me and him, I can't imagine how he convinced me to leave them behind but we ar only going for 3 days, so my conscience is much minimal that what it usualy is. My question is that I was thinking of staying in "Santa Monica" at the Loews or the Merigot.. and enjoy some beach time with shopping on 3rd street and having universal not so far away and rodeo drive with bel hair for some sight seeing. What do you all think of my choices on the hotels and location that we chose??? Or do you have better suggestions? :thumbsup2

Thank you in advance ....Belinda Montreal,Canada :love:

When do you plan to go?? I might have different suggestions depending upon the time of year.

Being a native so.cal girl, I love the beach any time of the year. But, people that visit sometimes have the perception that it's always warm. In early March, it's likely to be cool, particularly down by the water. Cool is a relative term, but I'd say mid-60's to high-60's will be pretty common, and much higher than that is possible, but not terribly likely. I just went on weather.com just to make sure my recollection wasn't all messed up and it shows 69 as the average high for both Feb. and March, with 49 & 47 being the average lows. Just to put things in perspective. The ocean breezes can make it even cooler. IF that is just fine for what you were wanting to do at the beach, then go for it, just wanted to make sure you knew what to expect. We often had family from MN and IA come to visit us during spring break expecting it to be bikinni weather, and it wasn't (we'd always tell them that's what Palm Springs and Cabo are all about! ;) ) The ocean will definitely be too cold to go into unless you have a full wet suit.
If I were going back for a trip with my DH without the kids, I'd stay at the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. It's steeped in history, has a really cool pictoral of the history of Hollywood. Plus, that's the area I'd want to be in. In the heart of Hollywood and all the Hollywood stuff to see and visit, close to Melrose, close to Beverly Hills. And then I'd go visit the beach for part of a day/evening. Like an afternoon/evening there, but most of my focus up in Hollywood area. It's only a couple of stops away from Universal on the metro. But, some people really don't like Hollywood.
I'd also love to stay on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, but there's not really anything around there to recommend.
Have fun! I think adult time away is very important for a relationship. Gives you time to recharge your batteries and reconnect with your spouse! We typically go away for a long weekend every year for Presidents day weekend, and my parents have always watched the kids. We miss the kids, but not enough not to go.
If you have any other questions, please let me know. There are alot of ideas on this board. Check out some of the other posts about what to do, what to see. Lots of locals responding. Some of my favorite restaurants talked about.

I'm not a big Hollywood fan, love the beach and lived in LA for 7 years. It didn't matter to us that it was cold, we just loved to be by the water. And, it was pretty in the winter, too.

I'd check trip advisor for most recent reviews of the hotels you are considering. I like the location of both (on the water), convenient to the pier, Main Street, and not far from the promenade. Loews might cater a little more to families (I don't know if you want a bunch of kids running around on a romantic trip.)

Shutters on the beach used to be nice. We haven't lived there in years, so I don't know the state of things now which is why I suggest tripadvisor. Keep in mind a lot of posters on tripadvisor are very budget conscious which sometimes sways reviews (i.e. a pricey place might not review as well, even if it is extremely nice.) We've stayed at the Fairmont. It is very nice, although across the street from the beach, not on it. Plus, the rooms are small. I think there are some other nice hotels on Ocean Avenue near Montana. Montana is a great people watching/shopping street (upscale) in Santa Monica.

If you do go, get breakfast (table service, not at the counter) at the Rose Cafe in Venice (pretty close to the Santa Monica border). It's great. Also, Loews used to do a wonderful Sunday brunch in their lobby, see if they still do.

If you're interested in having a romantic dinner (since it's just going to be the 2 of you - nice, huh?), I would highly recommend the White House of Anaheim. You could probably google it and their site will come up. It's a gorgeous house converted into a restaurant. Serves Italian cuisine. The food there is awesome! When I first went there, the host described the dinner experience as a show, with the food as different presentations. And, believe me, the food is decorated so beautifully, you don't want to eat it! Now, dinner is a bit pricey, but I recently found out that restaurant.com has them listed for one of their coupons. Using one of their coupons during lunch is VERY affordable (maybe $30-$40 for 2 versus $100 for 2 for dinner).

:hug:

If you're interested in having a romantic dinner (since it's just going to be the 2 of you - nice, huh?), I would highly recommend the White House of Anaheim. You could probably google it and their site will come up. It's a gorgeous house converted into a restaurant. Serves Italian cuisine. The food there is awesome! When I first went there, the host described the dinner experience as a show, with the food as different presentations. And, believe me, the food is decorated so beautifully, you don't want to eat it! Now, dinner is a bit pricey, but I recently found out that restaurant.com has them listed for one of their coupons. Using one of their coupons during lunch is VERY affordable (maybe $30-$40 for 2 versus $100 for 2 for dinner).

:hug:

Our company used to attend a yearly convention in Anaheim and then do dinner at the White House because at the time it was the only decent restaurant in Anaheim. But, it wasn't anything worth doing the drive from the LA area down to IMHO. Too many better restaurants in the LA/Santa Monica area. Plus, even though it was nice, I think that there are better choices in Anaheim now - Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen and Napa Rose.

You should probably rent a car. By the time you pay a shuttle service to and from your hotel, and a taxi to Universal and a taxi to Beverly HIlls etc....the car will end up saving you money and giving you more freedom.

Our company used to attend a yearly convention in Anaheim and then do dinner at the White House because at the time it was the only decent restaurant in Anaheim. But, it wasn't anything worth doing the drive from the LA area down to IMHO. Too many better restaurants in the LA/Santa Monica area. Plus, even though it was nice, I think that there are better choices in Anaheim now - Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen and Napa Rose.

Oh...I'll have to try those restaurants!

. . . My question is that I was thinking of staying in "Santa Monica" at the Loews or the Merigot.. and enjoy some beach time with shopping on 3rd street and having universal not so far away and rodeo drive with bel hair for some sight seeing. What do you all think of my choices on the hotels and location that we chose???
You have selected two very nice hotels, and would be pleased at either one.

There are many very good restaurants close by. I can recommend two that we ate at recently. Both are on Ocean Avenue, just a block north of Santa Monica pier, and have ocean view patios.

Ocean Ave Seafood (seafood restaurant an oyster bar), 1401 Ocean Ave., tel: (310) 394-5669, oceanave (dot) com

i. Cugini (Italian seafood, pasta, pizza), 1501 Ocean Ave., tel: (310) 451-4595 (they also have a Jazz Sunday brunch)

Enjoy!

Woody

You have selected two very nice hotels, and would be pleased at either one.

There are many very good restaurants close by. I can recommend two that we ate at recently. Both are on Ocean Avenue, just a block north of Santa Monica pier, and have ocean view patios.

Ocean Ave Seafood (seafood restaurant an oyster bar), 1401 Ocean Ave., tel: (310) 394-5669, oceanave (dot) com

i. Cugini (Italian seafood, pasta, pizza), 1501 Ocean Ave., tel: (310) 451-4595 (they also have a Jazz Sunday brunch)

Enjoy!

Woody

We used to live in Brentwood about 12 years ago and Ocean Avenue Seafood was one of our favorites then. It is good to hear that it is still a good place. Is Chinois on Main still around?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter