Our budget in-ground pool - a BnG report

OMG I love your backyard and that you don't have a snake problem! Our old house had an inground pool and I was always afraid I was going to have one slip right in while I was swimming! EEK!!

Ahhh! This brings me back to your TR days! And oh my goodness have your kids gotten so big! It seems like just yesterday I was reading your marriage TR.

We live in a townhouse with a tiny yard (with a community pool!), but I will be reading along because, well, I can and I love margaritas :)

Last year my husband and I got the same bright idea..but we had a super tight budget..we bought our above ground pool 18x33 oval off Craigslist for $750. It was a beautiful pool in great shape (only a couple years old) with a full aluminum deck all the way around. The catch we had to take it down and put it back up. This is the perfect time of year to do it, because people that have not opened their pools yet don't want to deal with them. My husband and I are not in the pool business nor are we really handy but we totally disassembled it and reassembled it. It took us about 3 weekends start to finish. My brother is in construction and can drive/work a backhoe or what ever they are called and can use a transit. That was a life saver. Our pool is partially in the ground like you have showed in previous posts. I don't have a picture of it on my computer but it turned out great. Youtube was our friend.. Walked us step by step in installation.
Overall cost..

$750 pool, deck, pump, sand filter, handicapped steps, synthetic cove and even the deck box to house the pool supplies
$300 for a new liner
$125 for a new pump (the one that came with it was on its way out)
$350 for the rental of heavy equipment
$100 in pavers to support the frame in the ground
$125 for the sand under the pool liner.
$100 for the permit
$200 for an electrician to wire and ground the pool

$2050 and that does not include the water (honestly I am not sure the price for that)
There are a lot of hidden costs with installing a pool so keep that in mind.. But honestly I love our pool. I am so glad we did it.
Good luck!!

Have you heard if this works in a cold climate?

Good luck! I'm looking forward to following your pool install!

I live in MI and we have friends here who have their AGP sunken in the ground, so much that it looks like an inground pool.

Ok, Ally, time for the next B&G pool update!! The only thing I'd rather read more would be you guys B&G pool hopping at WDW, but pool building will do just fine.:)

What a great idea! Maybe I need to convince my FIL to put one in his yard so I can go over every day during the summer!:lmao: Oh boy would he get tired of seeing us!!! Wish we could put one in our backyard but the trees cover it too much meaning no sunlight gets back there for us to get a tan!

Interesting thread. We have an in ground and no snakes but frogs once a week or so! I just scoop them out and send them for a ride!

Fun thread, any updating?
I used to be a lifeguard in my younger days.
In Wisconsin if you have a pool, you are suppose to have a locked fence around your pool.

I normally hate AGP, but I have to say those look pretty darn good. We are building in a new neighborhood and I am sure AGP are against the rules, so it's out for us. But at $6000-ish, that's a huge savings from the normal price here of $50-60K for a pool that's nothing special.

We really want to put an AGP in our yard too! How did you pick your AGP? You mentioned forums can you share them? I want a pool but don't see myself ever spending the money for an in ground pool. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Love your thread, the pools are beautiful.
I am just a grandma, so I probably sound like your MIL but, if you just buy the new Intex style that has supports, no outer wall you could be in it tomorrow for about $275.00.

Your Husband and friends can dig down few inches and place sand to level it for the best long term use. We did this five years ago and love it. But then in our area we only have eight to ten good weeks of use.

The one we have is 3,000 gal and I fill it from the hose for $40. Easy to maintain and adults fit in it just fine. Best thing we every did for the kids. The hot tub we did for ourself and has year round use.
Keep writing I love reading.

I'd love to hear any pool updates as well. And I'd LOVE to get a pool for our backyard. We don't have a nice, cleared, level space either. Lots of hills & a huge slope. My dream is to put in an in-ground pool in about 3 years, after I get some other loans paid off. I'm not allowed to talk about pools in front of my husband anymore.

When I was growing up, we had an above ground pool, with an expandable liner. Not sure if they still make those anymore. Our pool had the bands underground to help keep the sides up, so we couldn't take full advantage of the stretch part of it, but we had a really deep spot on the one end. To be honest, the shallow part of the pool always got more use, because it's just super hard to play water volleyball in the deep end. Eventually, the walls just gave (this pool had been bought used, and we'd used it for 15+ years). We came home from school & there was water EVERYWHERE.

I'd recommend a pool sweeper, eventually. Those save SO much time. We didn't have one, but they've so improved through the years, and the cost is well worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter