OT -3 year old is insisting on being carried

Can I follow your family to observe? Just, kidding of course, but I am curious to see how all 5 boys (bless you!) develop, who moves out earliest, etc. I really do see a trend at our school - the youngest boy in the family, especially if he is the youngest sibling, seems to be the coddled, indulged child, very rarely half as successful in school as siblings, etc. This is especially true if the parents are divorced.
I've observed the exact opposite to be true. I know many families that the youngest is quite a lot more successful in school than their older siblings. The ones who are extremely indulged and coddled tend to be more high strung and unruly, but for the most part they also seem more driven and resourceful. Even though they are coddled and indulged, they also tend to be more strictly disciplined because the parents learned from the mistakes they made with their older kids.

Op here- turns out one of the first pp was right! Ds whining got worse and worse, and it turns out he had an ear infection. A round of antibiotics and he is all better and racing me to the car!

Promise to take away something that matters to him, not you, next time. Taking him out of the grocery store only punishes you. Offer to take him to the playground or someplace that doesn't matter. If he wants to bs carries and throws a fit, take him back inside and don't go. Stand your ground and don't sway. In the grocery store, plan some short stops (small shopping not big weekly shop) and let him tantrum. Keep your cool and do not sway and do not leave. If you leave he wins and you lose that time and the next. Start today so you can start showing him you mean business before your trip and hopefully you will see results. Similar issues with car sat resistance won in our family with these methods. Good luck!

Op here- turns out one of the first pp was right! Ds whining got worse and worse, and it turns out he had an ear infection. A round of antibiotics and he is all better and racing me to the car!

I'm so glad your son is feeling better. Parenting can be so challenging. :thumbsup2

Totally understanding for a child to cling when they are sick. Actually, that was a clue for me to watch them closely for being sick as they were not allowed to whine or demand to be carried at that age otherwise.

I'm glad you found out what it was. Hope he is feeling better soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter